Lythiaren

Improving the Vines

How would you feel about a vine update?  

1,042 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm interested, and personally hope no huge change will ever come about the vines which it obviously will not, in terms of sprite fixing.

(no idea how i made those symbols. o.0)

Edited by Ashes The Second

Please. Ohlord.

I (this is not a joke) just read this entire thread, and I am seriously crossing my fingers that these updates happen. In fact, as much as I dislike Vines right now for various reasons, if they turn out like I'm hoping they will, I'll be collecting an army. ♥

i agree the vines need a bit of a make over i like the hiding in vines murferess female vine idea

Lythiaren, this fills me with girlish glee. I really hope you can make this happen.

On the subject of dimorphism, I agree with... Infinis, I believe it was, that the females should be just as terrifying as the males. Because they are Vines. And Vines kill all the things.

Of course, that was your idea in the first place.

Edited by minkymy

I will try to draw snarlyface anyway, make the sprite, and put it up to a vote then. Perhaps seeing them in sprite form will change the results to something more decisive. :3

Sorry if this response is late, but I think this is a fair way to decide on the snarly VS sneaky debate. One of the reasons I voted snarly is because if sneaky isn't done perfectly, it could just look like she's hiding, and I really don't like it when the male sprite is obviously more dynamic/powerful than the female. It will be much easier to choose when we have a visual (sketch/sprite/whatever) to compare.

Really hope this update goes through. smile.gif

Ohmygeez I want this update soo badly I like th idea if vines just want to see the dragon hiding in them

I'd love to see the sprites updated to something that screams "I want to eat your face then spit it out at puppies" rather than "pike off human..."

I love this idea - I've always thought there should be updates to the old base hatchies because they just don't match the Reds and Vines, especially not the vines. A bit of a colour revamp on the male sounds lovely as I always found it a bit difficult to make him out against his plant. And I love dimorphism too so a lady vine sounds awesome! Good on you Lyth for wanting to improve your sprites, and as far as I can see these changes would only benefit the already lovely vines.

Yes, I would love to see them updated, and dimorphism is a better idea as it makes it easier to tell female and male IMO, sure there is that gender mark, but you can't really see it when using fertility.....

Also, if you can/want to, maybe an ungendered version one to....It'd be cool, as it could explain the alts, maybe, idea might be to broad yet to clarify....

But yes, to me, they are to bright to look vicous IMO, the adults to bright and not dark green enough, but yes, please dimorph them.....

Yes, I would love to see them updated, and dimorphism is a better idea as it makes it easier to tell female and male IMO, sure there is that gender mark, but you can't really see it when using fertility.....

Also, if you can/want to, maybe an ungendered version one to....It'd be cool, as it could explain the alts, maybe, idea might be to broad yet to clarify....

But yes, to me, they are to bright to look vicous IMO, the adults to bright and not dark green enough, but yes, please dimorph them.....

The while vine process is going to be updated/revamped? What do you mean by 'ungendered version too'?

I don't see any point in having ungendered vines. There's a reason for neglecteds, since that's how they started out. There's a reason for papers, since they aren't alive. There's no reason for vines to have an ungendered version.

We need this update. Badly. I'd love to see dimorphism in Vines.

Also, I agree with Pokemonfan13. There's no good reason to make genderless Vines, unless they suddenly become enchanted plants or as rare as NDs.

I think you should use the dark green palette from the one in your avatar, Lyth.

So... Any news on when/if this is going to happen, Lyth?

I could have sworn I posted here before. o_o I've been lurking this and hoping it would happen since I saw it. I'm not sure if the discussion is still going, but I'd love dimorphism and polished sprites. :3

I can't wait to see the new sprites. ^^

I would love dimorphism between male and female. And to recognize the dragon better between the plants.

I love the adult sprite as it is. There is something about it that reminds me of illustrations in medieval bestiaries and herbals, which is awesome. wub.gif

But your changes sound good, and I agree with most of them. More contrast would be beneficial. This is just my opinion, but personally I would make the dirt lighter. I saw a version of the sprite go by in Lythiaren's avatar, and while the heightened contrast between dragon and plant was good, the dirt and dragon had nearly the same value. This is good for camouflage but made it difficult for me to distinguish the dragon. Also, that version had a green throat on the dragon. Personal preference for the yellow, here. And for the darker red flowers. Again, just my opinion. smile.gif

The alt form, as it currently is, also requires close peering for me. Dark dirt, dark dragon... it blends in.

The Christmas '11 Holiday sprites have great contrast and it's super-easy to see the dragons - maybe something in-between the current contrast and the Holiday contrast?

I would LOVE to see the hatchling's current sprite updated - it really does not fit at all! I look forward to seeing the new ones if this is approved.

On a side note, I never realized the flytrap was the dragon's actual tail! That's a great detail.

I wouldn't mind a bit of tweaking, but I'd be really sad if much changed. I love the sprites how they are now. I'd be really sad if the hatchies changed too. I love them, even if they don't fit perfectly.

I am very much against dimorphism though. I used to collect Daydreams. I had one female, the rest male. I hate their new sprite, and they all changed. I don't like the new greys either. They're squatting in the air. I'm not a fan of the any of the changed sprites, honestly.

Please don't make any changes more than little coloring or line tweaks :(

Why hate on my other baby? :C

Details regarding dimorphism are hard to hash out. The in-thread poll yielded a 50/50 split on sneaky vs. snarly, so there's a posing issue. The physiology of the female is not up for debate; without spoiling much more than has already been said, the female is larger and the plant varies only slightly.

The main thing that's taking so long on my end is that I can't for the life of me figure out how to pose a static figure that satisfies the split poll. I've got a big super angry snarly sketch, and a sneaky sneaky deadly sprite. If I could make her an animated gif I would, but there are several issues with that, including but not limited to:

1) I'd have to draw every frame,

2) I'd have to sprite and colour every frame,

3) Edits to one frame would probably cascade into every subsequent frame,

4) I'd have to time the animation, and

5) File size would skyrocket so bandwidth usage for vines would be massive compared to other breeds and I don't think TJ would appreciate that.

What I very badly want to do is go with the sneaky sprite because this is the one single breed that satisfies the femme fatale trope perfectly, but there's a bunch of people who are all NO YOU MUST NEVER.

orz

Edited by Lythiaren

Lyth, the vine is *your* baby, so if you prefer the sneaky version, go with it. Use the snarly for an updated male - if you want to do some updating, that is. And don't listen to all the complainers. If TJ did that, he'd never get anything done here because someone will always complain - and usually find a number of very vocal supporters. And don't forget, every storm will blow over - eventually. tongue.gif

Remember when the gold sprites were updated? My daughter almost cried because, to her, the new golds were so ugly. She still remarks occasionally that she doesn't like the new golds - and yet, she breeds them like crazy.

ETA: And don't take critizism too personally. Heartwing my hate the new male daydream, fine. Her problem. Personally, I love them - all of the 107 on my scroll. wub.gif

Edited by olympe