Kirbyburn

Ascension

How should lineages work?  

726 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just why do you assume the lineage would be messed up if one parent got ascended?

It's because I'm fond of perfect checkers. Let's imagine for a moment that the Alt Black in this lineage is an Ascended Black. Well, I'll never trade for such kind of egg, it isn't perfect for me. And, in case one of the pretty perfect checkers I already own will end up like this, I'll put that dragon aside and search for a replacement wink.gif

But there aren't news on my own question? I would love to decide what to do with my Halloween dragons before it will be too late sad.gif

I really don't remember quite what the word was about that. On the one hand, I seem to remember that Halloweens weren't supposed to get an ascended form, yet I do remember a discussion on ascended vampires somewhere... unsure.gif Or maybe it was a thing like "all dragons that breed true no more than once a year don't get an ascended forms", but vampires can bite all year round, so...

If seeing ascendeds in lineage view wasn't optional, it'd make me even more reluctant to collaborate with others on lineage projects than I already am. Dead dragons and dragons that lose their names already make me reluctant to do cool lineages with others, this would just be another nail in the coffin. ;___;

What if one of the requirements for ascention sprites was that the sprite had to follow the colors of the original? I know that would knock the current neb ascention sprite out but if we limit the amount of change to just a cooler sprite that might make it easier

I personaly don't even like this idea becuase 1, it would take a long time to create new older sprites for every single breed and not to mention all the compleated dragon requests would become active again.

2, like there are many people who want a BSA or somthing to (ADHD moment: computers is dieing! No! You must LLIIIVVEE!!!) unfreze hatchlings there will be problems with people all "I want to un-accend my dragon!" and

3, well acualy I can't come up with a third reason so I guess its ok then. Although I still do not support it, I don't exactly care what happenes.

it would take a long time to create new older sprites for every single breed

Just as a heads-up: For a lot of them, Ascension sprites already exist, they're just not publically visible at the moment.

Edited by pinkgothic

I guess that's the risk you run when using someone else's dragons in your lineage, though.

Agreed. I thought I had hit the jackpot when I managed to nab this even 8th gen for another even 8th gen I'd managed to grab. Even got it properly influenced. Then Halloween came and one of the dragons was killed as a zombie attempt. Disappointing for me, but that's the risk I run just hoping to get lucky in the AP. An ascended sprite there still would have worked for my purposes, but the dead dragon doesn't. It's just something you risk when using existing lineages like that. x3

So then, we kinda discussed the same thing over and over, what exactly does it take to get this suggestion "finished". Or maybe this topic is just destined to repeat a life and death cycle...

Agreed. I thought I had hit the jackpot when I managed to nab this even 8th gen for another even 8th gen I'd managed to grab. Even got it properly influenced. Then Halloween came and one of the dragons was killed as a zombie attempt. Disappointing for me, but that's the risk I run just hoping to get lucky in the AP. An ascended sprite there still would have worked for my purposes, but the dead dragon doesn't. It's just something you risk when using existing lineages like that. x3

I... don't believe this. This lineage was part of the EPIC even gen lineage project - where killing your dragon was expressly forbidden. I have another, non-tinsel offspring of that lineage. sad.gif Several, of various generations, actually.

Edited by olympe

I... don't believe this. This lineage was part of the EPIC even gen lineage project - where killing your dragon was expressly forbidden. I have another, non-tinsel offspring of that lineage. sad.gif Several, of various generations, actually.

I can imagine accidents happen.

i don't care a thing for lineages (half or more of my dragons came from the AP) so i don't think that should be facored in. I also think it should be optional, and maybe like a freeze action for adults

Hmm, I have one Old Pink and one Frill. To ascend or not to ascend? That is the question.

GoNs already seem pretty "ascended" IMO.

Edited by Ashywolf

Am I the only person here who doesn't care if this never ever happens anyway ?

*slinks away quietly*

Holiday, Negleted, Zombie, and GoNs I beleive will be exempt from getting Asended forms. Holiday and GoN simpley due to them having scroll limits. Zombie because they arn't living, and Negleted due to them being so much weaker that they wouldn't have the strength to asend.

Holiday, Negleted, Zombie, and GoNs I beleive will be exempt from getting Asended forms. Holiday and GoN simpley due to them having scroll limits. Zombie because they arn't living, and Negleted due to them being so much weaker that they wouldn't have the strength to asend.

I would add that to the first post, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed too.

Holidays and GoNs are already covered:

Dragons we can only have limited numbers of won't get an ascended form.

Neglecteds and zombies were never seriously questioned, debated, or discussed, so there wasn't really a need to clear anything up about them.

~

No, fuzz. I don't really, either. x3

~

Oh. Sorry, olympe. =(

I'd personally love to see this happen. However, I'm beginning to doubt that it will happen, given how long the idea has been around with nothing happening...

I'd personally love to see this happen. However, I'm beginning to doubt that it will happen, given how long the idea has been around with nothing happening...

Do you think that's due to TJ not really going for the idea, or because he's waiting for more organisation from us members on what we'd like to see? If it's the latter, then there's definitely something we can do about that. smile.gif

Personally, I'd enjoy something like this, but I wouldn't be that disappointed if it didn't.

Here is what I think would happen if you ascended a Neglected:

Pick up neotropical egg.

Let it get to low time and all that.

You have a neglected.

You ascend it (assume it was successful).

You get a healthy adult neotropical.

Right?

Edited by Ashywolf

Here is what I think would happen if you ascended a Neglected:

Pick up neotropical egg.

Let it get to low time and all that.

You have a neglected.

You ascend it (assume it was successful).

You get a healthy adult neotropical.

Right?

Negleteds would be unable to asend, being considered too weak to do so. So such a thing won't occur.

I voted to show ascended sprites in the lineage.

I know it'd be lousy if you had a perfect checker and someone ascended one of the dragons in it, but it's the same problem as if you have a perfect checker and someone either kills or zombifies one of the descendents. You can't control what happens on another person's scroll.

Preventing ascended sprites from showing in a lineage means that you can't checker ascended sprites, which could be an incredible (and likely incredibly difficult) lineage.

Well, it might be lousy - then again, the ascended sprites still look a lot like the original adult sprites. Sure, the ascended sprites are bigger, might have a (very) different pose and be just plain more awesome - but how much of that do you actually see on the sprite pics in lineage view? Probably no more than the different pose.

Wooo, I was directed to this thread when I inquired over the idea of Ancient Wyrm forms, which is essentially what this is.

I definitely like it. Sure, I haven't been around as long to get into ten generation deep checkerboard breeding and all, but I don't really think the OCD of a few users wanting absolute identical patterns in their board should be a valid reason to completely strip a potential feature many, many more people could enjoy--especially those people who probably NEVER will get into mega-deep breeding perfection. I'm sure the site gets a lot of those. I intend to breed deeply eventually, but I've had a lot of friends that apparently just used this site casually.

Beyond that there's the valid argument of "It can already happen with death/zombie", and "that's the risk you run" in sharing lineages, so it isn't really a new threat, no differently than people already complain about frozen hatchlings and wanting to undo it; it already exists, it's not a new problem, you just deal with it the same.

What IS new about it is a level of gameplay. Perhaps bred ascendants get bonuses on their eggs, or have potential to breed new kinds of dragons altogether. There's a lot of potentials--some of which were probably discussed in the nigh-fifty pages of this thread that I can't read all of, sadly.

I don't like the idea that laziness could be an excuse not to do it, what with "It'd be hard to make everyone a sprite", and apparently there are many that already have sprites. I, for one, would have fun spriting. While my sprite work has been restrained to Pokemon and similar works, I'm eager to get comfortable enough in this community to start helping in the sprite field eventually, so you can be sure you'd have +1 hand in this if you wanted it.

Well, regarding spritework on this site - don't ever touch anybody else's work - not even for making ascended sprites of dragons - without explicit permission.

However, you might want to have a look around the Dragon Requests section.

So, back on topic (or Sock will warn me again wink.gif ) - the idea of giving ascended dragons better or worse stats for breeding eggs was discussed for a while, and I think we arrived at the conclusion that there should be neither a better chance at breeding nor a worse one. However, breeding whole new dragons from ascended dragons might be an interesting idea. Just how do you think this might work that is not already covered with alts, color variations, alternate breeds (geodes) or crossbreeds (blunas, shallow waters, ultraviolets)?

Well, yeah. That's art theft. No self respecting artist of any type should participate in it.

As for that, I can't rightfully say. I'm so new to the site I'm still exploring alts and whatnot. My scroll is pathetic. xd.png You can go look and laugh. At least it will be vaguely less pathetic in about a day when everything starts hatching/maturing.

But I mean, the site already toys with things like legendary trios. What about fabled crossbreeds, that have a chance to occur? I mean, if you already had to devote like, a year to raising your Ascendeds, and then had to fit a variety of other parameters to breed them right and had a marginal chance of creating a certain egg, there'd be so many people fighting for a chance at it.

Like... hm, trying to think of how to example since I don't know this site well enough.

In an RP setting I ran, there was a legend where ruby and sapphire dragons overcame their typical disharmony that divided their tribes and could create a fabled "pearl" dragon that was closer to the ancients, the gods of dragons and whatnot, returning to their cosmic roots. Extra parameters ended up being needed, which are ultimately irrelevent to our discussion here since they're not entirely applicable, but in theory something of that ken could be created out of crossbreeding particular wyrms, and you could end up making a whole new tier to achieve, or even two.

Can you imagine breeding like, Bahamutspawn?