Kirbyburn

Ascension

How should lineages work?  

726 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It would be cool if only cave-born dragon can be ascended, cause they were free of human before a user grabs them. Sort of like being pure.

Nope. You might decide for yourself to only ascend CBs, but leave it to others to ascend their favorites.

Besides, this would open up several cans of worms.

Why wouldn't purebreds (or any kind of special pedigree) be not "pure" enough?

Why shouldn't you be able to ascend a dragon that has two ascended parents?

What about dragons you simply cannot get as CB, like hybrids or prizes?

DC doesn't care about lineages, so why should the existence of a lineage make any difference now?

What difference does it make if the egg was laid in the wild and raised by humans, compared to laid in the presence of humans and hatched/raised by humans or even its own parents?

Nope. You might decide for yourself to only ascend CBs, but leave it to others to ascend their favorites.

Besides, this would open up several cans of worms.

Why wouldn't purebreds (or any kind of special pedigree) be not "pure" enough?

Why shouldn't you be able to ascend a dragon that has two ascended parents?

What about dragons you simply cannot get as CB, like hybrids or prizes?

DC doesn't care about lineages, so why should the existence of a lineage make any difference now?

What difference does it make if the egg was laid in the wild and raised by humans, compared to laid in the presence of humans and hatched/raised by humans or even its own parents?

This. I'd like the OPTION to choose which dragons to ascend, if this were implemented.

Yeah, I mean I have some dragons that are pretty dang ancient by DC standards that I'm not sure I'd want to ascend, and having it be an automatic age-based thing would kinda screw that up for me. I already got grouchy when I saw some of my oldies that didn't used to have dimorphism suddenly change sprites when I returned years later, I don't want a bunch of new stuff on my scroll that I didn't ask to have there.

But I am also a crusty old fart who doesn't take well to change. When I was your age, we had to walk uphill in the snow barefoot to snag our eggs from just one drop point, and we were grateful! Teleport? Bah, newfangled kid's stuff... etc.

Were we actually discussing making dragons "Ascend" automatically? As far as I remember, we only wanted to make the option of Ascension based on age. So, once your dragons reach 1 year (for example), you can use the "Ascend" action on it. smile.gif

Were we actually discussing making dragons "Ascend" automatically? As far as I remember, we only wanted to make the option of Ascension based on age. So, once your dragons reach 1 year (for example), you can use the "Ascend" action on it. smile.gif

OH. Okay, my reading comprehension was off. Whoops.

It'd be neat if ascension was something you had to meet specific criteria to get?

Perhaps after 5+ generations of pure breeding with no inbreeding, you'd have the option to ascend your dragon?

Then you could keep your ascended dragons on a different tab / in a different section of your scroll? It would be a lot of work of course, but it's fun to think about biggrin.gif

It'd be neat if ascension was something you had to meet specific criteria to get?

Perhaps after 5+ generations of pure breeding with no inbreeding, you'd have the option to ascend your dragon?

Then you could keep your ascended dragons on a different tab / in a different section of your scroll? It would be a lot of work of course, but it's fun to think about biggrin.gif

ACTUALLY! I don't know about haveing to meet any BREEDING criteria for this because I know that some people do NOT want to be told how they have play the game to get stuff. Just saying. ALSo, if it were by a certain number of gens of pure and non inbred breeding... like the example you gave... wouldn't that kill any possibility of rares or prizes being ascended? I do not know if this was being considered fro them in any case, but I thought I would mention it.

I DO, however, like the idea of seperate tabs for dragons. Perhaps not JUST ascended ones. JUST a thought.

Edited by Silverswift

PLEASE no

I wouldn't be able to ascend practically anything and it seems like from this suggestion ONLY CBs could ascend? Please no. D:

No thanks.

Not everyone is interested in breeding or creating so-called "neat" lineage. And who are you to deny me the right to ascend my proudest project dragons just because you don't like their lineages?

PLEASE no

I wouldn't be able to ascend practically anything and it seems like from this suggestion ONLY CBs could ascend? Please no. D:

I thought it was any dragon over a certain age that could ascend. I've seen it said here and there only cb or only bred, but I though most said age based is best.

Yes, that was the general consensus after a discussion lasting for several pages.

I thought it was any dragon over a certain age that could ascend. I've seen it said here and there only cb or only bred, but I though most said age based is best.

Huh? I meant that specific proposal from rhinne. I realize the consensus is any dragon. o3o

Huh? I meant that specific proposal from rhinne. I realize the consensus is any dragon. o3o

Oh sorry, sometimes my reading comprehension fails me.

What makes it so that a pb dragon is more apt to ascend than a non-pb? What makes it so that a longer gen dragon is more apt to ascend than shorter gens? I think most of us agree with some kind of criteria, but not anything so specific. ^^

It wouldn't have to be pure lineage, it just might be interesting if different dragons had different criteria you had to meet in order to get that ascended dragon, you know?

Personally I've always liked the idea of 'unlocking' special modes/areas/characters in games, so this appeals to me, but I see why it may not appeal to others.

Although on that note I don't actually have any purebreed dragons myself, I like to mix them up a bit biggrin.gif

Of course, the ascension based on age idea is good too (not to mention waaay easier to program), I just wanted to throw the idea out there.

It wouldn't have to be pure lineage, it just might be interesting if different dragons had different criteria you had to meet in order to get that ascended dragon, you know?

Personally I've always liked the idea of 'unlocking' special modes/areas/characters in games, so this appeals to me, but I see why it may not appeal to others.

It is interesting - I'm just wondering about what kind of RP reasoning/logic it has behind it. =o

Bump for great justice.

I'm wondering if mana could play into this somehow. There have been some ideas tossed around as to how to bring back mana alchemy or the mana shard collecting as a permanent site feature of a sort. Perhaps mana could be used to ascend a dragon.

Either way, I still really like the idea of Ascension. I'm still holding out hope it'll be implemented, really; I collect dragons the way I do based on this hope and have been doing that for years now. xd.png Which is obviously not a reason to introduce Ascension, but it probably gives people a good idea just how in favour of this I am.

Although on that note I don't actually have any purebreed dragons myself, I like to mix them up a bit biggrin.gif

Of course, the ascension based on age idea is good too (not to mention waaay easier to program), I just wanted to throw the idea out there.

Well, I am not sure about other 'modes', but it occurs to me that the different breeds would have different needs.

They eat different foods and live in different habitats, don't they?

IF dragons can ascend, it stands to reason that they would have different requirements for achieving that, as well.

It seems to me that that would be a perfectly fine RP reason for having SLIGHTLY different criteria for different breeds.

I also like PG's suggestion about mana.

PERHAPS different breeds require different types of mana to be collected before they can be ascended?

Edited by Silverswift

I like the idea of bringing back Mana and using it towards Ascension.

I've always loved the idea of taking my dragons to the next stage of their existence.

Wow, I'm always slightly amazed when I come across things I had no idea were a thing being discussed.

Now I've only read the first page or so and this page, so forgive me if my comments are things that have already been dismissed or otherwise laid aside when developing this, but...

This seems like an interesting idea, but I would not like it if my dragons just ascended on their own. Something that I have to do, either by gathering mana or some kind of BSA, would be much better; there are a lot of dragons I never want to ascend, especially ones I use in lineages. Also, some way to look at lineages without Ascended dragons in them would be nice, since it would be weird to see some ascended and some not, in the case of the lineaged dragons I pick up from the AP.

I would prefer it to be some kind of BSA or something like Freezing where the link appears in Actions to gathering a lot of hard-to-find items, though. I might end up wanting to ascend some of my Red army once I see what the sprites look like, lol.

Wow, I'm always slightly amazed when I come across things I had no idea were a thing being discussed.

Now I've only read the first page or so and this page, so forgive me if my comments are things that have already been dismissed or otherwise laid aside when developing this, but...

This seems like an interesting idea, but I would not like it if my dragons just ascended on their own. Something that I have to do, either by gathering mana or some kind of BSA, would be much better; there are a lot of dragons I never want to ascend, especially ones I use in lineages. Also, some way to look at lineages without Ascended dragons in them would be nice, since it would be weird to see some ascended and some not, in the case of the lineaged dragons I pick up from the AP.

I would prefer it to be some kind of BSA or something like Freezing where the link appears in Actions to gathering a lot of hard-to-find items, though. I might end up wanting to ascend some of my Red army once I see what the sprites look like, lol.

And that is why, as I understand, the preferred form of this allows YOU as a user, to choose which dragons to ascend. What is under discussion, or was the last I recall, was HOW precisely that should be achieved.

Edited by Silverswift

Although it would make sense RP-wise to have different criteria for different breeds, things might get too complicated too quickly. Besides, depending on the criterium for a certain breed, this might inhibit play styles. If, for example, blunas would need at least one of each of their three potential parent breeds in their lineage (water, deep sea and skywing), people who only collect CBs or 2nd gens for everything not available as CB won't be able to ascend their blunas. The same could be said for almost every other criterion that isn't a simple time-based one. And there's no reason why breed X should be able to ascend in a week if breed Y needs to wait a whole year - to make two very arbitrary and extreme examples.

I'm not sure that mana alchemy would be a good idea, either. I'm sure you can find a game like mana alchemy on the net if you absolutely want to play it - but don't force it on people who don't like it as much as you do. Also, keep in mind that this would be just another form of grinding, and not everybody has insane amounts of time at their hands to ascend a couple of dragons quickly. DC also has a lot of casual players, which we should consider for this suggestion, too.

Although it would make sense RP-wise to have different criteria for different breeds, things might get too complicated too quickly. Besides, depending on the criterium for a certain breed, this might inhibit play styles. If, for example, blunas would need at least one of each of their three potential parent breeds in their lineage (water, deep sea and skywing), people who only collect CBs or 2nd gens for everything not available as CB won't be able to ascend their blunas. The same could be said for almost every other criterion that isn't a simple time-based one. And there's no reason why breed X should be able to ascend in a week if breed Y needs to wait a whole year - to make two very arbitrary and extreme examples.

I'm not sure that mana alchemy would be a good idea, either. I'm sure you can find a game like mana alchemy on the net if you absolutely want to play it - but don't force it on people who don't like it as much as you do. Also, keep in mind that this would be just another form of grinding, and not everybody has insane amounts of time at their hands to ascend a couple of dragons quickly. DC also has a lot of casual players, which we should consider for this suggestion, too.

I hadn't considered that point but...

You are right. It MIGHT be too complicated to try to make differing criteria for each breed.

That said, I would PREFER it if, if it has to be based on the age of the dragon, if it were entirely OPTIONAL after a certain point. SORT of like you can choose to breed adults or... not. Perhaps it appears in the actions menu after a dragon reaches the proper age?( Admittedly, I am not SURE what that age should be) That , I think is what I might prefer. That is because I am not sure I would like ALL of my dragons to ascend, but only a few of each breed ( PROBABLY a CB pair who would be leaders of their breed in my headcanon for my dragons.) AND I know others have said that they would prefer it IF it wasn't a thing that just 'happened,' either. A BSA of some sort MIGHT work too, but for the life of me I have no GOOD ideas about that one.

Perhaps the action idea is best.

Simple, sweet, to the point, and it doesn't require hunting for items.

Edited by Silverswift