Kirbyburn

Ascension

How should lineages work?  

726 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oh gosh, why did you bump this D:<

Anyway.

Lineages...

You can't dictate whether or not someone wants to ascend a dragon.

If you're not in control of all the dragons, then you're lineage is at the mercy of the other owners

For all I care, someone could kill a dragon a ruin your lineage.

No comebacks. The sprite should change in the lineage view. It can be an optional view.

Moving on.

Edited by Kirbyburn

I think the idea itself is interesting, but I don't want it to mess up lineage view. I work hard on what few projects I do, and this would be like... a pixelated massacre.

I think the idea itself is interesting, but I don't want it to mess up lineage view. I work hard on what few projects I do, and this would be like... a pixelated massacre.

Like I just said, that could easily happen if someone got a scroll burned or killed there dragon.

So what does it matter?

Edited by Kirbyburn

Like I just said, that could easily happen if someone got a scroll burned or killed there dragon.

So what does it matter?

Unlike when a dragon is killed, a sprite revamp will retain the rest of the lineage. Recall the chaos when the gold sprite was changed.

Unlike when a dragon is killed, a sprite revamp will retain the rest of the lineage. Recall the chaos when the gold sprite was changed.

Sometimes not retaining the lineage could also be unwanted. Killing dragons can do things like this: http://dragcave.net/lineage/EAM2d That used to be a complete even gen. Now, I only own EAM2d, so while I'm a little sad, it was their dragon and their right. (I also think they were going for a zombie.)

If you want complete control over the dragons in a lineage, then you need to own all those dragons. If you pick up a lineage from someone else and they kill, zombify, or ascend one of their dragons that happens to be in your lineage, well, that's their choice. I don't see why it shouldn't change in lineage view if death or zombies change in lineage view already.

Also, completely changing a sprite that's been around since basically the beginning =/= the same thing as ascension.

Sometimes not retaining the lineage could also be unwanted. Killing dragons can do things like this: http://dragcave.net/lineage/EAM2d That used to be a complete even gen. Now, I only own EAM2d, so while I'm a little sad, it was their dragon and their right. (I also think they were going for a zombie.)

If you want complete control over the dragons in a lineage, then you need to own all those dragons. If you pick up a lineage from someone else and they kill, zombify, or ascend one of their dragons that happens to be in your lineage, well, that's their choice. I don't see why it shouldn't change in lineage view if death or zombies change in lineage view already.

Also, completely changing a sprite that's been around since basically the beginning =/= the same thing as ascension.

It's actually because of this that I think it should be an optional view, haha. There are already so few factors we can control about shared lineages that we don't need another possible source of upset. Or at least I'd rather we didn't have another one, haha!

Optional is what most people talk about wanting, but... Obligatory(?) is what the polls say. Hmm.

I think most people who are on the side of 'it should change regardless' just aren't speaking up. When I made the poll, everyone was fighting for optional, as well, but over time not-optional has gained the most votes. That's why I made a poll - because not everyone wants to post. :3

The only thing I see holding this idea back is lineages, so I would easily see why optional would make sense, for custom lineages have been around for a lot longer. But apparently, full scale change implies that ascension dragons are really wanted to be seen all the time, or at least the owners want you to know.

If there was a lineage viewing system, like the description one, then I would agree with this. But there isn't...

Note: Still feels weird not being able to edit my own post tongue.gif

Edited by Kirbyburn

this seems kinda cool, so this would be kinda like having an ancient dragon?

this seems kinda cool, so this would be kinda like having an ancient dragon?

Yes it would be.

So...

I'm guessing lineage view wins.

Edited by Kirbyburn

Something cool should happen if you ascend a Guardian of Nature, and it should be able to bypass the No Limited Dragons can Ascend, but still counting as a Guardian of Nature, even after ascending, so you can still only have 2.

Ascending a GoN defeats the purpose of not being able to ascend a limited edition dragon. If you disagree with that - everyone is allowed an opinion and that's fine, but then why not be able to ascend other limited dragons?

And I think the cool thing that happens when you ascend any dragon is that you get an ascended dragon. D|

Speaking of limited edition dragons, may the Halloween Dragons hypothetically get an Ascended sprite too? It's true that they are Holidays, but they haven't a limited number per scroll.

I would love to have an hint on it because of my plans for Ascension. I decided to ascend only never bred CB dragons, I like to gift eggs for lineages and in this way (if lineage view will be enabled) nobody will ever complain me for ascending my dragons happy.gif For this matter, I should decide before Halloween if breeding my second CB pair of Shadow Walkers or saving them happy.gif

Personally speaking I would love if they could not have an Ascended sprite, like the other limited dragons. What if the owner of your favourite 2nd gen Marrow decides to ascend its parent, messing its lineage? rolleyes.gif

Just why do you assume the lineage would be messed up if one parent got ascended?

Just why do you assume the lineage would be messed up if one parent got ascended?

I don't actually care one way or the other, as most of my lineages are all mine - but if you have a nice checkerboard, one dragon suddenly changing in appearance would kind of spoil the look...

Depends on how different it is. If the ascended red, for example, was shown like the normal one, just with larger horns and more impressive teeth - it wouldn't be too bad, would it?

Depends on how different it is. If the ascended red, for example, was shown like the normal one, just with larger horns and more impressive teeth - it wouldn't be too bad, would it?

TOO bad is relative !

When you have - say - a lovely blue/purple neb lineage, the sprite most of us have seen for the ascended neb woudl be very out of place.

I guess that's the risk you run when using someone else's dragons in your lineage, though.

Personally, I'd love to see where the ascended dragons in the family tree are. (Although.. maybe only dragons with a description should be able to ascend? Just wondering. Probably a bad idea...)

I guess that's the risk you run when using someone else's dragons in your lineage, though.

Personally, I'd love to see where the ascended dragons in the family tree are. (Although.. maybe only dragons with a description should be able to ascend? Just wondering. Probably a bad idea...)

Actually I rather LIKE that idea smile.gif I think it should become part of the conditions for ascension.

And yes - that's why most of my lineages ARE all my own. I run a small risk with my shadow/grey going pearshaped some day, as I had to get others to breed for the base layer...

Although.. maybe only dragons with a description should be able to ascend?

The problem that leaps to mind is that last I checked, all descriptions must be in English. That would mean any non-English speaking players wouldn't be able to have ascended dragons.

Oops. Good point. Forgot about that. unsure.gif

maybe only dragons with a description should be able to ascend?

I dislike this idea for other reasons, also. None of my dragons have descriptions, because I have no imagination, and suck at creative writing. Besides which, it could be time-consuming for those who have limited time to play. But I LOVE the idea of ascension! This would be a terribly unfair restriction, IMO.

maybe only dragons with a description should be able to ascend?

No. Not everyone plays the 'write a description for your dragon' part of the game, or wants to. I have no dragons with descriptions, as my interest is solely in collecting the pretty sprites and a couple of breeding projects. For people like me, that would be an unfair restriction.

Do I have to do some more back-pedaling? tongue.gif The first argument against it - about not everybody being able to write an adequate English description - was enough for me to realize the idea wasn't good.