Kirbyburn

Ascension

How should lineages work?  

726 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"Is the dark side stronger?"

"No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive."

That said, I'm more inclined toward having age as the only requirement.

Also, "ascending" with the power of evil should really be descension and have a seperate, evil-aligned sprite anyway, should the good/evil seperation become a real thing.

ascension is not good or evil its just ascending to the next stage

So basically a Summon with a 1-year cooldown instead of 2 weeks. No thanks.

I assume you prefer the dragons to have a button to push to ascend once they reach 6 months. Then I guess you would be proud with how many ascended dragons you have.

Easy joy is easy lost, while hard work brings joy to stay as a memory, not just a feeling.

ascension is not good or evil its just ascending to the next stage

Never said it is. Just throwing ideas around.

I assume you prefer the dragons to have a button to push to ascend once they reach 6 months. Then I guess you would be proud with how many ascended dragons you have.

Easy joy is easy lost, while hard work brings joy to stay as a memory, not just a feeling.

There's a line between "difficult but awesome" and "pure frustration" for everyone, and to me summoning is already standing on the edge of that line and your suggestion has a cooldown time that I can do 26 summons.

Mind you, my reaction to my summon success was "fin-censorkip.gif-nally", not "OH YAY!" or any sort of real joy, just a relief that the pain is finally over.

Edited by CNR4806

Also, "ascending" with the power of evil should really be descension and have a seperate, evil-aligned sprite anyway, should the good/evil seperation become a real thing.

Yes please

I still vote for manual ascension, age and possibly some other task being the requirement. I like the use of an item, maybe BSA, idk. It shouldn't be based on chance or require a GoN or breeding with a specific dragon...

Maybe there's a light/dark (possibly neutral as well, but that might be too much) item thing? Like for dark it's a "Seed of Chaos" and light is something holy or whatever.

Otherwise just a magical rune thing that you could rarely find or something like that would be nice.

Yes please

I still vote for manual ascension, age and possibly some other task being the requirement. I like the use of an item, maybe BSA, idk. It shouldn't be based on chance or require a GoN or breeding with a specific dragon...

Maybe there's a light/dark (possibly neutral as well, but that might be too much) item thing? Like for dark it's a "Seed of Chaos" and light is something holy or whatever.

Otherwise just a magical rune thing that you could rarely find or something like that would be nice.

You mean like... have the runes appeare on the pages, like the eggs do for the festival of eggs?

So that you have to hunt for them?

I would be way more in favor of this idea than a MASSIVE cooldown, to be honest; which would be just frustrating. I am not a very patient person so... waiting on cooldowns isn't my favorite aspect of this game by any means. That is just my two cents, mind you.

Edited by Silverswift

You mean like... have the runes appeare on the pages, like the eggs do for the festival of eggs?

So that you have to hunt for them?

I would be way more in favor of this idea than a MASSIVE cooldown, to be honest; which would be just frustrating. I am not a very patient person so... waiting on cooldowns isn't my favorite aspect of this game by any means. That is just my two cents, mind you.

Either that or finding them in the cave/AP

I like finding stuff.

Either that or finding them in the cave/AP

I like finding stuff.

I still agree that this idea sounds WAY more fun than a cool down.

AND maybe it would even be possible, somehow, to trade them with others? I dunno how that would work, though.

Perhaps TJ could make it so that they could be teleported by magi or something like that, like eggs and hatchlings... so that you could trade them for other runes, or for eggs or hatchies, or gift them? I don't even know at the moment. This was just the first possibility that came into my head mind you.

Edited by Silverswift

I still agree that this idea sounds WAY more fun than a cool down.

AND maybe it would even be possible, somehow, to trade them with others? I dunno how that would work, though.

Perhaps TJ could make it so that they could be teleported by magi or something like that, like eggs and hatchlings... so that you could trade them for other runes, or for eggs or hatchies, or gift them? I don't even know at the moment. This was just the first possibility that came into my head mind you.

Its a cool idea but I wouldn't want to trade runes for eggs less they become a currency >.>

The two 'adoptable' games I play don't use currency for good reasons and are much more fun that way. I'd hate to see an item like that become that way. Sure you could solve that by making runes really really really cb gold during a drought x 81 rare, but really where is the fun in that?

Its a cool idea but I wouldn't want to trade runes for eggs less they become a currency >.>

The two 'adoptable' games I play don't use currency for good reasons and are much more fun that way. I'd hate to see an item like that become that way. Sure you could solve that by making runes really really really cb gold during a drought x 81 rare, but really where is the fun in that?

No trade option for Runes! Problem fixed

Mmmmm.

That is a problem i hadn't considered. maybe Zalmoxis is right and it is best not to trade them. OR maybe only trade them for other runes, depending on if there were different kinds.

Wow. Seems I missed a lot.

My 2cents:

Ascension is supposed to be wisdom, 'wise old dragon', etc. Sacrifices and virginity really have no place here. I could see, from a role-playing standpoint, some impatient dragons trying to "ascend" by offering a sacrifice, which causes them to turn into some dark evil thing.... But not as a base requirement to ascend. No way.

I felt much more on board with this whole Ascension thing when the main requirement was just TIME. Having to wait a year is hard enough, isn't it? It's one thing to want the action to be special and important, completely another thing to make users have to jump through a million hoops and slap random restrictions on it that don't really make much sense in the first place.

Wow. Seems I missed a lot.

My 2cents:

Ascension is supposed to be wisdom, 'wise old dragon', etc. Sacrifices and virginity really have no place here. I could see, from a role-playing standpoint, some impatient dragons trying to "ascend" by offering a sacrifice, which causes them to turn into some dark evil thing.... But not as a base requirement to ascend. No way.

I felt much more on board with this whole Ascension thing when the main requirement was just TIME. Having to wait a year is hard enough, isn't it? It's one thing to want the action to be special and important, completely another thing to make users have to jump through a million hoops and slap random restrictions on it that don't really make much sense in the first place.

This. Not that I actually WANT ascension at all... xd.png

You know, as long as a dragon needs a minimum age for the ability to ascend, I don't mind certain other ideas being implemented - as long as we don't have to compete for items to ascend our dragons. My preference for this age threshold would be 1 year. Since many people here play for several years, this doesn't sound like too much of a problem.

I certainly like the idea of several different developments for ascension. Let's take skywings, for example. They could go the route of good or evil - naturally. Or they could ascend by becoming near-elemental beings of either air or water. (I'm not sure if, in such a scenario, whites should be able to become evil, mind you.) I wouldn't want totally different sprites, though, just small changes. Maybe the evil version could have a darker shade of blue with charcoal markings and maybe some visible fangs, while the good version could have some other features to distinguish them. As I said, small changes - not a completely new sprite.

A good thing about this optionality is not only that we (might) have a choice in which way our dragons develop, but also in the fact that we'd have several variations of the gorgeous ascended sprites. It would also tie in nicely with the idea of using/needing items for ascension.

Regarding items - I'd really prefer if we didn't have to compete for them as we have to compete for the very rare CB metallics. Maybe once a day we might be able to find an item somewhere on the site - similar to the eggs from our Easter egg hunts. Or we might get them for achieving certain things, like collecting 20 dragons of one breed. (Getting a "Fire ascension item" for raising 20 magmas or reds or embers seems reasonable, doesn't it? Yes, frozen hatchlings on your scroll should also count towards the limits, if only to satisfy certain user groups.)

Edited by olympe

Mmmmm.

That is a problem i hadn't considered. maybe Zalmoxis is right and it is best not to trade them. OR maybe only trade them for other runes, depending on if there were different kinds.

I dunno about trading so much...

I'd prefer to find them like the festival of eggs or trick-or-treat items.

I DO like the idea of different kinds. I guess it would just be evil, neutral, and good kinds, or maybe just the different dragon kinds (not both as it would get confusing. I'd rather just have the different ones for the dragons, and their rarity somewhat corresponds to the dragon's rarity. Basically, you're more likely to find grey runes than gold runes). OR just plain runes in general that you can use on whatever dragon and you can choose what route to take them! c:

Even if runes and possible other items aren't involved, I'd still like them to go all three routes.

I do believe every dragon should be able to go all three routes, if that idea is used. Even dragons that are considered "good" could become evil through corruption. I think the only dragons that would be exempt from ever ascending are holidays and GoNs (well, maybe a neutral ascension, but not the others).

We'll be lucky to ever get ONE ascended sprite for every in cave dragon... isn't going the DND evil / neutral / good route overdoing it? X___x

Maybe. Unless it's really just a recolor with a couple of slightly different details - like fangs versus a gentle smile, or a difference in the number/size of horns and the like.

Maybe. Unless it's really just a recolor with a couple of slightly different details - like fangs versus a gentle smile, or a difference in the number/size of horns and the like.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Besides, that idea isn't even set in stone at all, just a really awesome suggestion

Or we might get them for achieving certain things, like collecting 20 dragons of one breed. (Getting a "Fire ascension item" for raising 20 magmas or reds or embers seems reasonable, doesn't it? Yes, frozen hatchlings on your scroll should also count towards the limits, if only to satisfy certain user groups.)

And here we go yet again with the requirements that smash user's playstyles.

Will someone *please* explain to me why a dragon needing to be a year old is not enough for a special action that means "wise old dragon"??

I don't mind as much if the other requirements include stuff like collecting items that show up once a day (and we *don't* have to fight for, something like the Easter eggs).

But when Ascension starts depending on goals that only SPECIFIC user-groups are every going to meet (20 red-colored dragons? What about all those users who like family-numbers? OOPS, too bad, they can't have it!).... No. Please no.

They can have it - if they release their adults afterwards. Which would be a pretty good thing for the ratios, as far as I can tell. Besides - ever heard of a large family?

Besides, this suggestion was only meant for certain elemental ascension items.

Personally, I could imagine a regular ascended red, as well as a fiery ascended red. Maybe even good or evil ascended versions. You'd still be able to get the regular version of the ascended sprite without ever doing anything like raising 20. And 20 isn't all that many, after all. There are players with literally several thousand dragons on their respective scrolls. 20 dragons of one breed - that's about 3 batches of 7 eggs raised to adulthood. If you go for one sprite of each kind, that's only 15 additional eggs to be collected and raised. Less than that if you go for one of each ascended sprite on top of that. If it's too much to ask of certain players of a collecting game to actually collect 15 extra items (and - if they need it for their OCD - release them afterwards), then they're obviously playing the wrong game. Besides, the ascended sprites would probably already mess with their "family collection" anyway.

Edited by olympe

wow, ascension is looking to become far too complicated to ever be implemented. What happened the original idea that dragons of a certain age could be ascended? Even when put with the idea of "hoarding" and needing find spell scrolls to do so first, that option was still not drastically attempting to alter people's playstyles. Because the items would have been available to everyone, so it only limited how many dragons you could ascend at a time. All this good/evil, elemental, raise so many x.....why do we need to over complicate everything?

Eh I'd rather it be mostly age. Possibly another thing like items or something, but mostly age (also very possibly holy/neutral/evil but just the one regular ascension is fine).

No "need to collect x number of x dragons" pls.

Well, it is obviously still possible that ascension - no matter how simply put - won't ever happen. But since we have no word from TJ on the topic, I don't see why we can't think of ways to change the suggestion.

Whatever the solution, PLEASE no luck based ways(meaning I really really do not want items). We do not need another GoN level mechanic. My favorite solution by FAR is pure age-based. Why CARES if someone can leave and come back a long time later to get a bunch of ascendeds?

Edited by Nectaris

Whatever the solution, PLEASE no luck based ways(meaning I really really do not want items).  We do not need another GoN level mechanic.  My favorite solution by FAR is pure age-based.  Why CARES if someone can leave and come back a long time later to get a bunch of ascendeds?

Pretty much this.

The only reason why I find a required item (scrolls, potions, runes, etc) to be intriguing is just that it adds a bit more of a ritual-y feel that sounds fun, I guess? I wouldn't make them super rare or tradeable, though. They just seem neat.

The good/evil/neutral sounds neat as a concept, because we could mold our dragons a leetle bit more, but I'd be okay with it being scrapped.

Collecting a certain amount of dragons just sounds tedious and...like normal gameplay, I guess. It doesn't fit everyone's scroll goals, either. Personally if I absolutely had to get 20 or so of a certain dragon before I could ascend one (old or not), I wouldn't mind, only because I want lots of each dragon anyway, but it just doesn't seem like a thing that would go with a dragon ascending (unless you're sacrificing those dragons you collected, but people have already voiced their opinions about sacrificing for ascension).

Whatever the solution, PLEASE no luck based ways(meaning I really really do not want items). We do not need another GoN level mechanic. My favorite solution by FAR is pure age-based. Why CARES if someone can leave and come back a long time later to get a bunch of ascendeds?

YES please. Please yes smile.gif