Kirbyburn

Ascension

How should lineages work?  

726 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Sort of jumping in here in the middle of everything, but hey, whatever. *tosses opinions all over the place* D:

The only reason I had thought that there would be a limit on how many ascended dragons you could have is because the larger sprites would take up too much memory. Or something. I don't see why the number would be limited for any reason other than that. (If that's even a reason, I mean.)

I would prefer that ascended dragons looked like normal dragons in lineages. If at least because it would affect many many lineages on everybody's scroll.

>.> I always liked the idea of ascended dragons being unbreedable. I always thought if they were that old, wouldn't they be infertile by then?! But I don't want that now, I breed my dragons too much lol.

I also think I voted for a perk (I really don't remember) but after reading through some of this, I think I'd prefer just the sprites. :3

Sort of jumping in here in the middle of everything, but hey, whatever. *tosses opinions all over the place* D:

The only reason I had thought that there would be a limit on how many ascended dragons you could have is because the larger sprites would take up too much memory. Or something. I don't see why the number would be limited for any reason other than that. (If that's even a reason, I mean.)

I would prefer that ascended dragons looked like normal dragons in lineages. If at least because it would affect many many lineages on everybody's scroll.

>.> I always liked the idea of ascended dragons being unbreedable. I always thought if they were that old, wouldn't they be infertile by then?! But I don't want that now, I breed my dragons too much lol.

I also think I voted for a perk (I really don't remember) but after reading through some of this, I think I'd prefer just the sprites. :3

There are actually smaller sprites that take up more space because of partial transparency. Not to mention PNG vs GIF and which takes up less space. I'm no coder, but let's let TJ determine what takes up too much space. He's the one who knows the site inside and out.

On the breeding thing, dragons are reptiles. Reptiles can continue to breed through their entire life. A female reptile can continue to make eggs through her entire life (someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not a herpetologist). Humans have thousands of eggs, but we only release on once a month. And once certain females hit menopause (because not everyone does), they stop releasing eggs. There's no reason a dragon at its peak cannot continue to breed. They're, essentially, immortal. It makes no sense for them to stop breeding.

Okay, I agree with the lineage hiding ascension thing. But what if you wanted it? Shouldn't it be a choice?

Okay, I agree with the lineage hiding ascension thing. But what if you wanted it? Shouldn't it be a choice?

As long as it is an OPTION, sure. (I am quite happy with new sprites, but they would look censorkip.gif in a checkerboard, for instance biggrin.gif)

As long as it is an OPTION, sure. (I am quite happy with new sprites, but they would look censorkip.gif in a checkerboard, for instance biggrin.gif)

But if it is an option, would it be an option to be used by everybody who has the ascended dragon in one of his lineages or would be be an option to be set by the owner of the ascended dragon only?

Uhm, ... eh?

Maybe I should be clearer: would a person (with a scroll of course) be able to choose how descended dragons he doesn't own appear in the lineage of dragons he does own, or would it be up to the person who owns the descended dragon to choose how his dragon appears in all the lineages of its descendants?

Uhm, ... eh?

Maybe I should be clearer: would a person (with a scroll of course) be able to choose how descended dragons he doesn't own appear in the lineage of dragons he does own, or would it be up to the person who owns the descended dragon to choose how his dragon appears in all the lineages of its descendants?

Well, I think I would go with the first one, because the second option brings us back to sqaure one. Another question: How would it look to others viewing the lineage, would it apply to the dragon only or the just the scroll owner?

Well, I think I would go with the first one, because the second option brings us back to sqaure one. Another question: How would it look to others viewing the lineage, would it apply to the dragon only or the just the scroll owner?

But then that wouldn't be fair because he'd be messing with the way things would appear that aren't on his scroll--what if somebody got a, say, 2nd gen from them, and wanted to use it in an alternating "non-ascended, ascended" pattern lineage? Owner of the first-gen doesn't want decedents to appear as Ascended because he's working on a lineage, he just dumped the egg because ti was a fail for his project. Now suddenly, the person who might have been previously pleased with the dragon discovers that it's not going to show in a lineage as ascended even though it is, because of something the owner of the parent dragon did. I'd be pissed, possibly kill the thing out of frustration.

Unless you mean it's only a viewing option--like "show non-ascended sprites in lineages" or "show ascended sprites in lineages", and it doesn't actually affect what another user sees. But then, you could only have one or the other, and if you wanted to do a lineage anybody who had the opposite settings that you did wouldn't see it the way you intended it to be seen. Of course, if you're doing it really just for yourself... But then you'd have to stick to doing one lineage-type. Unless there was an option for showing ascended or not for each individual dragon's lineage, but that seems like it would just over complicate things...

I'm pretty against the idea that how it appears should be something users can decide for anybody but themselves--and even then I don't like it. I mean, it's not like we can say "Oh, I don't want to see tombstones in lineages. So I'd like for all dead dragons to show up and have their lineages show up, too!". If I kill a dragon in your precious lineage, your precious lineage gets censorkip.gif ed up because I decided what to do with what was on MY scroll. If somebody kills a dragon in a lineage I prize, well, that's just too bad for me--I just need to deal with it, because it's beyond my control what they do with THEIR dragons on THEIR scroll.

I guess it's just that, for me, I still don't see how ascending will be worse of a threat to lineages than killing will, aside from the frequency thing.

I don't think an ascended dragon or two in a lineage would really "ruin" it, especially considering the ascended sprite would have the same color scheme as the non-ascended version, so it's not like it will "clash" with the other dragons in the lineage.

Look at alt blacks and alt vines. They are different sprites but are of similar colors to their non-alt counterparts, and an egg hatching alt in a lineage with one of these dragons isn't exactly considered a disaster. Most of the time people just continue their lineage as usual. The alt adds a bit of character or a little quirk. I would imagine ascendeds would do the same.

Unless you mean it's only a viewing option--like "show non-ascended sprites in lineages" or "show ascended sprites in lineages", and it doesn't actually affect what another user sees. But then, you could only have one or the other, and if you wanted to do a lineage anybody who had the opposite settings that you did wouldn't see it the way you intended it to be seen. Of course, if you're doing it really just for yourself... But then you'd have to stick to doing one lineage-type. Unless there was an option for showing ascended or not for each individual dragon's lineage, but that seems like it would just over complicate things...

I'm pretty against the idea that how it appears should be something users can decide for anybody but themselves--and even then I don't like it. I mean, it's not like we can say "Oh, I don't want to see tombstones in lineages. So I'd like for all dead dragons to show up and have their lineages show up, too!". If I kill a dragon in your precious lineage, your precious lineage gets censorkip.gif ed up because I decided what to do with what was on MY scroll. If somebody kills a dragon in a lineage I prize, well, that's just too bad for me--I just need to deal with it, because it's beyond my control what they do with THEIR dragons on THEIR scroll.

That fills the bill all round - a simple "view ascended sprites / show standard sprites" button ANYONE can use !

Could be used by anyone at anytime. (Nightmarish to code though, I bet...)

Deads are different - their lineages no longer exist, and in the end nor do their codes.

But then that wouldn't be fair because he'd be messing with the way things would appear that aren't on his scroll--what if somebody got a, say, 2nd gen from them, and wanted to use it in an alternating "non-ascended, ascended" pattern lineage? Owner of the first-gen doesn't want decedents to appear as Ascended because he's working on a lineage, he just dumped the egg because ti was a fail for his project. Now suddenly, the person who might have been previously pleased with the dragon discovers that it's not going to show in a lineage as ascended even though it is, because of something the owner of the parent dragon did. I'd be pissed, possibly kill the thing out of frustration.

I guess it's just that, for me, I still don't see how ascending will be worse of a threat to lineages than killing will, aside from the frequency thing.

So in this case, yes, it would apply to just the owner of the scroll/dragon but not the viewer. The only way the view would see this is if they had the same option on that does not show ascended dragons smile.gif

Bit of a change of subject, but um... Would anyone mind telling me what the "other" options are for how a dragon should ascend? 42 pages makes me feel like I might be looking for single piece of thread caught among dragon scales...

I believe in either the Search or Hoarding thread, ascension was tied to having to collect certain items first. However, here it's mainly always been thought of as an action. ^^

~

New poll. I can do how should children/breeding work next. owo

(Lemme know if there are any other options I should add. I'll re-start the poll if so.)

I'm voting "you can ascend anything and it'll change" but I wouldn't mind "choose how they show up with account settings" either.

I'm dead against "cannot ascend if it has a lineage", since if you own them what's the problem?

I'm also dead against "not ascending lineaged dragons unless you own them" (which I'm reading to mean "you own the dragons in the lineage") because that's basically letting what's on other people's scrolls determine what you can do with your dragons that are on your scroll. Which is a massive no-no in my book. Oh, you picked that egg up off the AP/were gifted something, and it's bred? Too bad, no ascension for you because it has a lineage, you should have gotten a CB no matter how hard it is to get one, sucks to be you!

That's just... That's letting what other people have on their scrolls influence my playstyle far too damn much for my liking. I'd have to get EVERYTHING CB if I had even a chance of wanting to ascend it, and for some things that's just not a very good option.

And I don't like the idea of them never showing in lineages--what if I WANT to make an ascended lineage? That could look really cool! So for that, I'd rather be able to chose how we view it over them never showing as ascended...

How can ascendeds mess up a lineage? It's not like they change colors... Unless you're basing the lineage off the dragon's pose or general un-epic-ness, I can't see why ascending them would make any difference whatsoever.

I'm voting "you can ascend anything and it'll change" but I wouldn't mind "choose how they show up with account settings" either.

I'm dead against "cannot ascend if it has a lineage", since if you own them what's the problem?

I'm also dead against "not ascending lineaged dragons unless you own them" (which I'm reading to mean "you own the dragons in the lineage") because that's basically letting what's on other people's scrolls determine what you can do with your dragons that are on your scroll.  Which is a massive no-no in my book.  Oh, you picked that egg up off the AP/were gifted something, and it's bred?  Too bad, no ascension for you because it has a lineage, you should have gotten a CB no matter how hard it is to get one, sucks to be you!

That's just...  That's letting what other people have on their scrolls influence my playstyle far too damn much for my liking.  I'd have to get EVERYTHING CB if I had even a chance of wanting to ascend it, and for some things that's just not a very good option.

And I don't like the idea of them never showing in lineages--what if I WANT to make an ascended lineage?  That could look really cool!  So for that, I'd rather be able to chose how we view it over them never showing as ascended...

This.

How can ascendeds mess up a lineage? It's not like they change colors... Unless you're basing the lineage off the dragon's pose or general un-epic-ness, I can't see why ascending them would make any difference whatsoever.

And this. Though I will comment that it does look funky when there's a Black/White checkerboard and you have a random Alt somewhere in the middle.

Oh, though if you think about killing, that messes up the lineages way more and makes people way more pissed off- so I guess this is not even as bad as that?

Edited by stogucheme

I agree with the "my scroll my dragons" philosophy, and I like the idea of a viewing option to see ascendeds or not (I would choose to see them because new sprites=awesomeness).

That said, I thought that--and correct me if I'm wrong on this; I haven't gotten into the lineage project thing...yet-- part of the appeal of having and making lineages was that they required commitment beyond the average collecting and breeding dragons, that because they are harder to get and maintain, it makes them more rare and more valuable. Having ascended dragons would add another challenge, yes, but it also means DC gets one more dimension of possibilities in game play (like more lineage options/variety).

Now, I know this is coming way late in the discussion, but...I have an idea for--and I'm fully prepared to be shot for this-- how a dragon could ascend (inspired by the Halloween event which was amazingly fantastic--lovelovelove purrr). What if there was a place dragons could go to, like a sacred mountain, garden, temple, circle of Elder (wild) dragons or whatever, to receive "enlightenment?"

Before I go into a long spiel expanding on the idea, I'll just end this post before it gets any longer so you can say yay or nay or "silly lisi, trix are for kids"...

I like the mountain/garden/temple/elder dragons idea. Maybe there could be a challenge for the dragon.

EX: You want to ascend a Green. That green has to walk through a forest to get to the location to ascend. There would be certain things you and the dragon would have to do in the forest in order to open the correct path. How well & how fast you do it depends on the dragon's age. If you cannot finish (the dragon is too young, or you give enough wrong answers), you'd get a "despite your attempts, you cannot find the path you desire. Try again later" message.

If you succed & get to the desired location, the dragon will ascend.

After all, a challenge is what makes the prize worth it.

I'm also dead against "not ascending lineaged dragons unless you own them" (which I'm reading to mean "you own the dragons in the lineage") because that's basically letting what's on other people's scrolls determine what you can do with your dragons that are on your scroll. Which is a massive no-no in my book. Oh, you picked that egg up off the AP/were gifted something, and it's bred? Too bad, no ascension for you because it has a lineage, you should have gotten a CB no matter how hard it is to get one, sucks to be you!

That's just... That's letting what other people have on their scrolls influence my playstyle far too damn much for my liking. I'd have to get EVERYTHING CB if I had even a chance of wanting to ascend it, and for some things that's just not a very good option.

And I don't like the idea of them never showing in lineages--what if I WANT to make an ascended lineage? That could look really cool! So for that, I'd rather be able to chose how we view it over them never showing as ascended...

I totally fourth this statement. Couldn't have put it better.

I voted 'choose in account settings', because if there's a way to make more people happy I'm all for it, but as it is how I would set my setting, I don't mind 'ascend anything and they'll change' either.

I agree with the adamant NO towards the three first options.

Edited by Fengari

How can ascendeds mess up a lineage?  It's not like they change colors... Unless you're basing the lineage off the dragon's pose or general un-epic-ness, I can't see why ascending them would make any difference whatsoever.

I seem to recall there having been at least one ascended sprite in which the colors changed? Admittedly, it's the memory of that one sprite that's affecting my opinion on this in a negative manner, because it has the potential to destroy a lot of my favorite lineages. I do breed based on color and I wouldn't mind seeing any of the other ascended sprites I remember popping up in my lineages, though. The first three poll options are not even options, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Goslander

I think the Water and Gold changed to different shades of blue and gold, but other than that I don't remember any color changes.