TJ09

2024-02-14 - Happy Valentine’s Day!

Beautiful work, spriters! Love the colors.

These will not be a favorite for me. The sprite is too "dense", too tightly packed for me. It sort of hides the beautiful flowy nature of the dragon. I adore the hatchies, because they do show off the flowing lines.

Still, they are a worthy addition to the cave.

Edited by purplehaze

love the fluffy tails and how they sort of frame the dragon! I wish we got to see a bit more green in the adult but they're insanely gorgeous and I'm happy to see a new holiday wyrm

the description is so sweet too 💜

The new dragon is gorgeous! The tails really stand out as his most stunning trait, I love that the first Valentine’s wyrm has a unique body plan that makes him feel special amongst other DC wyrms. I also love how his design reflects his story and has Chinese motifs to tie him in with the year of the dragon. Overall wonderful design, great job guys!

I'm in love with these fluff feather wyrms! They definitely look like Valentine spirit to me. 

Wow, what stunning adults, I must say, I'm impressed! 

These are lovely - and so appropriate as I'm starting to think what I need to start growing in my greenhouse, ready to plant out when the weather is frost free in a few months.  Thank you, Spriters.

9 hours ago, Tawanda001 said:

And just like that, the FTD code makes a lot more sense!

XD I had wondered at the unusual capitals.

Pretty dragons.

Wow, very pretty adults! I like the combination of the lunar new year and valentines day themes. I hope we get to see the concept art for these guys! The sprites have a lot of detail that I would love to see in a bigger picture.

Hello everyone!
I'm XDLugia, aka ZnowyOwl, the person who came up with the concept of the Fenghuos and did the writing for the dragon. I couldn't do this alone, of course. I'm incredibly grateful to Spatio and Birdz for taking my concept and making it into a dragon. It fills me with joy seeing so many people enjoying the release!

The original idea for the dragon was to create something based upon the idea of renewal, either of one's hopes or desires. As such, I considered different stories, myths and items that could stand for that idea. I settled on two; the myth of the phoenix and the symbolism of the lotus flower. I read that the lotus flower is often considered a symbol of resilience and renewal. One way it does so is how it will bloom during the day and retreat back into water at night. As for the phoenix, most have heard of the story of how a phoenix will ignite near death and be reborn from the ashes. As I was refreshing myself up on the phoenix lore, I saw another mythological creature that was close to it: the Fenghuang. The Fenghuang is of chinese origin, and often called the "Chinese Phoenix." As I read about it, I found that it was depicted as a symbol of virtue or of grace. The Fenghuang is also shown as a multi-tailed bird, sometimes seen with 5 distinct feathers or tails.
In the end, that's what the Fenghuos were based on. The Fenghuang's reference in it's many tails, the phoenix in how it will create life from ash, the lotus flower in it's appearance. And of course, the idea to bounce back.

1 hour ago, XDLugia said:

Hello everyone!
I'm XDLugia, aka ZnowyOwl, the person who came up with the concept of the Fenghuos and did the writing for the dragon. I couldn't do this alone, of course. I'm incredibly grateful to Spatio and Birdz for taking my concept and making it into a dragon. It fills me with joy seeing so many people enjoying the release!

The original idea for the dragon was to create something based upon the idea of renewal, either of one's hopes or desires. As such, I considered different stories, myths and items that could stand for that idea. I settled on two; the myth of the phoenix and the symbolism of the lotus flower. I read that the lotus flower is often considered a symbol of resilience and renewal. One way it does so is how it will bloom during the day and retreat back into water at night. As for the phoenix, most have heard of the story of how a phoenix will ignite near death and be reborn from the ashes. As I was refreshing myself up on the phoenix lore, I saw another mythological creature that was close to it: the Fenghuang. The Fenghuang is of chinese origin, and often called the "Chinese Phoenix." As I read about it, I found that it was depicted as a symbol of virtue or of grace. The Fenghuang is also shown as a multi-tailed bird, sometimes seen with 5 distinct feathers or tails.
In the end, that's what the Fenghuos were based on. The Fenghuang's reference in it's many tails, the phoenix in how it will create life from ash, the lotus flower in it's appearance. And of course, the idea to bounce back.

You all did such an amazing job & I can see the passion that went into this dragon. The meaning behind this makes it even more beautiful. Well done! ❤️

This has got to be hands down my favourite Valentine's breed, for the drsign and especially the lore and theme! Absolutely wonderful, they're so well done down to every detail and I can't wait to fill my scroll with them next year ❤️ 

Edited by StarKaabi
I can't spell

I absolutely love the new dragon, and ADORE their amazing description and lore. They're going right up there as my fav Val. dragons next to the Eradors. (because nothing detrones those adorable poptart dragons)

8 hours ago, XDLugia said:

Hello everyone!

It's an amazing concept and a gorgeous dragon. Thank you

I'm purposely avoiding looking at adults/info about them until mine grow up, buuuuut....

I captured this screenie of the AP wall of pink/red/white...Looks like someone might have been breeding regular pink-range dergs to fill up that bottom row during the event, haha)  :

Pink_Wall_DC_24.png

They're very beautiful and unique. Thanks and congrats to the conceptor and sprites, well done!! 🌸

Definitely beautiful artwork in these dragons, and I love the lore behind the concept. 😊

They're more stylized than most of the dragon designs. When I look at these I can't help but think "Those must be pampered pet dragons, to be so perfectly groomed and coiffed" ..😄  In the wild, I would expect the tails to be much more bedraggled, of course.  Living wild is rough!

I'm a dog trainer who trained and competed with German shepherds and Chows. The Chows, especially, had a very different look after a day of playing in the Alaskan wilderness than they did heading to an obedience trial.  The Fenghuos look like they're ready to prance into the show ring. Beautiful.

love these guys! i feel like they'll pair well with the mageias (definitely got a xeno-ish face)!!

13 hours ago, XDLugia said:

Hello everyone!

That info is very cool!

Thanks so much for some lovely dragons, all of you! :)

The new dragons are lovely - and they certainly give off Valentine's vibes!

Can't be bothered with the game, though, it just stresses me out. XD

I like the sprites this year, they remind me of baroque furniture. I tend to like sprites that are somewhere in between simple and complex but I think in this case it was well executed. Plus I managed to catch really nice name codes (Olviz and Alkio).  Nice job artists! 😀

I'm loving how the new dragon looks paired with Gold and Bronze Shimmers.

image.png.4b0358929f63711046494066ebfbc9c1.png image.png.b5ff058ea99a4e3ca52e917cba2a87b6.png