TJ09

2022-10-31 - Happy Halloween!

4 hours ago, Odeen said:

Thanks everyone for the wonderful reception! I am so grateful to have been able to rope Rwyvern into collaborating on these guys. Never mind that I am an eternal two-head stan.

The Crypt dragon concept was based loosely on a combination of church grims, imperial guardian lions, and barghests. While they are aloof and not particularly friendly to living creatures, they are also not aggressive unless you try to desecrate their chosen territory. As such, cemetery groundskeepers and archaeologists have become the accidental subject matter experts on Crypt behavior by virtue of needing to coexist with them and build their trust. They are not large compared to many of the dragon breeds in Valkemare, but they are plenty big and vicious enough to ruin a graverobber's life night.

For those who come to understand the Crypt dragon's nature, its presence near a loved one's final resting place can offer a sense of peace: long after they and everyone else who might be able to remember the loved one fondly have moved away or passed on, the Crypt dragon will be there to love and protect their loved one's spirit in their stead.

Thanks Odeen for your dragon spriting contribution and the additional info.  You are talented and so creative :D

I like that the new breed doesn't really resonate "bad guy". They're a friend to the friendless. 

Thank you for those beautiful Two-headed Halloween dragons, they are amazing (can´t wait to get some next year) 

edit: and I hope there will be other Two-headed wingless dragons soon, I really don´t want to kill any of those beauties because of a Zombie sprite ^^

Edited by tjenni

5 hours ago, Odeen said:

Thanks everyone for the wonderful reception! I am so grateful to have been able to rope Rwyvern into collaborating on these guys. Never mind that I am an eternal two-head stan.

The Crypt dragon concept was based loosely on a combination of church grims, imperial guardian lions, and barghests. While they are aloof and not particularly friendly to living creatures, they are also not aggressive unless you try to desecrate their chosen territory. As such, cemetery groundskeepers and archaeologists have become the accidental subject matter experts on Crypt behavior by virtue of needing to coexist with them and build their trust. They are not large compared to many of the dragon breeds in Valkemare, but they are plenty big and vicious enough to ruin a graverobber's life night.

For those who come to understand the Crypt dragon's nature, its presence near a loved one's final resting place can offer a sense of peace: long after they and everyone else who might be able to remember the loved one fondly have moved away or passed on, the Crypt dragon will be there to love and protect their loved one's spirit in their stead.

How lovely!

And the drawings are gorgeous, @RWyvern!

Thank you, both, for a beautiful dragon!

Adults are very neat! But my favourite sprite is the hatchi, ngl. Will freeze a hoard next year 😻

Congrats to spriters! 

Also, haven't seen it mentioned, but am I the only one that gets Loki and norse vibes from them?

2 hours ago, camelia2 said:

Adults are very neat! But my favourite sprite is the hatchi, ngl. Will freeze a hoard next year 😻

Congrats to spriters! 

Also, haven't seen it mentioned, but am I the only one that gets Loki and norse vibes from them?

I thought the same, it's the horns. But I'm definitely biased....

Finally finished gathering the 2013 treats and getting onto the earlier ones.  Just noticed how the treats seem to get bigger over the years, especially going from 2018 onward.

It's neat to see the gradual change in art style laid out like that

Uuh...

"This breed of dragon is incapable of breeding"

Glitch or feature?

image.png

Edited by Ripan

1 minute ago, Ripan said:

Uuh...

Glitch or feature?

image.png

Huh.  That's really interesting.

...Oh, it would be so sad if they can't breed though.  Hopefully it's just a glitch

Thank you for the lore and art, Odeen and RWyvern! 

Welcome to the team, new in-caver!

48 minutes ago, KageSora said:

Oh, it would be so sad if they can't breed though.  Hopefully it's just a glitch

If you sort by available to breed, crypts do come up:

4C2228A8-2BE3-40D4-A96B-C7EA020254CE.thumb.jpeg.b9eb932bde69d8c1720e976733bfaeb1.jpeg

but then it says the below when you click it:B302E3AA-CF58-4CB9-8BA6-263AD3DD91FA.jpeg.b84fadcf742ea458a608d391b421ab76.jpeg

Maybe glitch? Who knows XD Would be unfortunate if its an unbreedable.

If it's an intended feature then maybe it requires some sort of ritual, like Aegis need to have something recently dead to enrage? Or the opposite - that you cannot have killed something recently?

Or they only breed at a particular time of the month?

🤔

I dare NOT try to kill one of mine to see if they're like the Pitfires.

@AzureSea

No, they normally can breed all year around, they just won't produce offspring of their own breed until Halloween season.

Thank you for the cool NRs and the wonderful event! The adults let me think about the god in the Princess Mononoke. :wub:

4 hours ago, Ripan said:

Uuh...

Glitch or feature?

image.png

* suspicions of it being a vampire intensify *

Hmmmm the "unavailable for breeding" is making me overanalyze the breed description 😂

"Crypt dragons are most active - and their true nature most apparent - when the veil between the living world and spirit realm is at its thinnest."

I wonder if they can only breed when their "true nature" is apparent? What exactly is their "true nature"? What makes the veil thinner? Is it moon stuff?

what does it MEAN!?

charlie-day-charlie-kelly.gif

Oh no, they're unbreedable?
I hope this changes. They would have looked so awesome with scourges. 😮

My hopes had really gotten up to be able to do some more interesting two headed lineages now, that's why I've been hoping for a Halloween two-head for so long...

Please tell me this unbreedable thing is just a snag. I have suitors lined up!

1 hour ago, Stromboli said:

Hmmmm the "unavailable for breeding" is making me overanalyze the breed description 😂

"Crypt dragons are most active - and their true nature most apparent - when the veil between the living world and spirit realm is at its thinnest."

I wonder if they can only breed when their "true nature" is apparent? What exactly is their "true nature"? What makes the veil thinner? Is it moon stuff?

what does it MEAN!?

Maybe they can only breed at a certain time of day or night. Like when Zombies are visible 🙈