TJ09

2022-07-03 - July Dragon Release

I've been camping in the coast for a couple of hours now. Seen a few scaled eggs, but too slow to grab.

I somehow doubt the Scaled eggs are rare. I see one or two of them at every drop: they go pretty much instantly so you have to refresh at the right second. Maybe they could be uncommon like Baikalas? I guess we need to wait for the Market price to be sure.

The eggs are still there. I am seeing one or more at almost every 5 minute drop, but they are snatched up before I can react.

I've managed to grab a Coast Scalie just now and three more pygmies for 5 of them. But the Coast is the only pair of Scalies I have.  The Scalies are still dropping - just very rarely. So hang in there and keep those mouse fingers well-oiled.

Edited by Oddsoxdi
grammar

It's not nice to read negative comments but to me it doesn't matter if it's about being disappointed with the release or with the players that are "whining" (or, unhappy). 😿 After all, everyone enjoys different things and has different goals so while some might be playing for the challenge, some are playing just for fun. And I think, for most players, there's at least some level of challenge after which it is no longer so enjoyable...

Anyway, I agree that extended 24-hour initial drops would make the releases a lot more equal to players in different timezones! Then everyone would get at least a theoretical chance to catch something without having to be online at a very inconvenient time of day. I can't help thinking of the stats, that was particularly unfair. You either were there during their short and unexpected flood or... never saw them later, eh. 😹

I've been here most of the day (11.10pm now here) and I've not managed to get a second full set. I need a forest one, but the ones I saw in the last hour were quickly snatched up.  I've offered a trade on one but no idea whether the person will accept. It's already been a few hours, looks like waiting until the morning now.

ETA: And with just one last try before shutting down for the night, I got one!   Wow, this has been the hardest release I can remember.

Edited by Quinney

35 minutes ago, Oddsoxdi said:

But the Coast is the only pair of Scalies I have

Coast is my only pair, too, the second being picked up on an :05 today. They go very very fast!

I'm trying to get a second one so I have a pair & all I managed to get was the alpine & several misclicks. XD These are really hard to get today! :( I wish we had several days of flooding, so everyone can at least get a pair of them! And maybe a random cave that has everything else for those who are one-and-done-ers. We get holiday caves so TJ must have an idea of how to code it, right? I don't mind buying a pair in the marketplace, but I would like to get CB's, so I at least have a pair of them.

EDIT: WOW! I Managed to get one from the coast by sheer luck! :blink:

Edited by kiramaru7

I've got a pair of pygmies and pairs from three of the biomes -- personally I'm looking forward to collecting the rest for a while so I have something to look for!

I've admittedly slowed down how much I play this game considerably.  The xeno releases - particularly the strats - and the massive birthday releases really started to get to me.  

As someone who's played this game for a VERY long time and still has never managed to catch a CB gold/silver or trio, the addition of more and more things that I will likely never be able to nab just wasn't worth the time vs reward anymore.  And that's on me.  But not entirely.  The choice to bury what might be rare new releases behind a wall of less desirable pygmies, to randomly and without warning release the cave's rarest dragon hours after most devoted players were egg locked (or were asleep) and only for a brief time, things like this are just plain anxiety inducing, in my opinion.  And they kind of eroded the "trust" I had in the fairness of the game.  

My normal method of playing is to stay up all night when I suspect a release and fill myself up, then when they hatch spend time getting second pairs or filling out the pairs if it was a big release.  Not even being able to get one of each egg during a new release flood feels terrible.  Stressing for a week on if I'm going to be able to afford 6+ eggs on the market after blowing so many shards on strats is stressful.

I appreciate that my experiences aren't everyone's, but I really miss the days when outside of new release floods, my time was spent catching things for fun, to build lineages, hoard things I liked, etc, and not stressing that there might be yet another new thing I never get ahold of and being unwilling to grab that fun eggs because it'll take a slot for that one I've really needed.

(Also, as people have pointed out, trading isn't really filling this niche anymore - I often put up nice 2gs for trade and get absolutely zero offers, only very specific things have value anymore, unless you get lucky.  More often than not I'll throw a 2g prize into the abandoned because I can't even get an uncommon for it in trade.)

Edited by Raziella

2 hours ago, Varislapsi said:

And I think, for most players, there's at least some level of challenge after which it is no longer so enjoyable...

This so much. It's not about wanting everything handed to us, not wanting to work for it, whatever, but at *some* point the 'challenge' can go from 'exciting and fun' to 'well this just feels hopeless'. I have to think *most* players who've been around for awhile have experienced that in *some* area (like trying to get the right egg from breeding commons together, for instance...). 

I do feel like maybe the scaleds are showing up a little more often now than they were a few hours after the flood ended.... I've at least *seen* multiple in different biomes within the span of 10 minutes, though I haven't caught any since my last post. I'm still cooing over the s1 pygmy hatchie actually, I just can't believe how adorable it is! I'm really tempted to freeze the one I have, currently sitting on my scroll in all it's s1 glory, but I know I should at least wait until I can catch a 2nd one. 

edit: Oh dangit I just realized I didn't influence any of my first batch! I only had doubles of Coast-scaled in my first batch so it's not too bad but I'll have to remember to influence the next ones I get. 

Edited by HeatherMarie

6 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

This so much. It's not about wanting everything handed to us, not wanting to work for it, whatever, but at *some* point the 'challenge' can go from 'exciting and fun' to 'well this just feels hopeless'. I have to think *most* players who've been around for awhile have experienced that in *some* area (like trying to get the right egg from breeding commons together, for instance...). 

I do feel like maybe the scaleds are showing up a little more often now than they were a few hours after the flood ended.... I've at least *seen* multiple in different biomes within the span of 10 minutes, though I haven't caught any since my last post. I'm still cooing over the s1 pygmy hatchie actually, I just can't believe how adorable it is! I'm really tempted to freeze the one I have, currently sitting on my scroll in all it's s1 glory, but I know I should at least wait until I can catch a 2nd one. 

edit: Oh dangit I just realized I didn't influence any of my first batch! I only had doubles of Coast-scaled in my first batch so it's not too bad but I'll have to remember to influence the next ones I get. 

Yep, been playing for years, I've still not even gotten a CB gold egg. There are several I still do not have as CB eggs and I never see them when I'm looking for any. There is fun in hunting rare and hard to find eggs but eventually it turns into just never seeing them at all. I could hunt the cave for hours and I'll never see one of any egg I'm looking for. I always try to get a pair of CB eggs to breed with at the start.

12 minutes ago, demonicvampiregirl said:

Yep, been playing for years, I've still not even gotten a CB gold egg. There are several I still do not have as CB eggs and I never see them when I'm looking for any. There is fun in hunting rare and hard to find eggs but eventually it turns into just never seeing them at all. I could hunt the cave for hours and I'll never see one of any egg I'm looking for. I always try to get a pair of CB eggs to breed with at the start.

I've been playing for a long time too and the last time I saw a CB gold in the cave was when I stumbled upon one in 2013. Before that, I found one in 2011, the others I have are a trade & the rest were bought in the Marketplace. As for Starts, I traded for one by luckily having a duplicate of one the stat trader wanted. I have NEVER seen one in the cave. The other one, by the way, I bought. So unless I can find another pair of this new release, along with the ones I need to grab once I can dump misclicks, I'll probably end up buying them.

All that said, around 3 hours ago I manged to grab a Scalie from the Alpine & I've been working my way across the biomes. It's not easy & I can't tell you how many I MISSED when hunting in the Desert. XD However, once this batch hatches, if you still need help catching them, I'm more than happy to help out.

And for anyone else who reads this, just persevere. This drop is hard, but if you stick with it, you'll catch them! I'm slow at catching stuff, but I just pick a biome & camp out until I catch something. ;)

The pygmies are pretty and I disagree that they're "less desirable." That's unfair to them. They're not less desirable, it's just that there are many variants of the other, which made the balance off. That's not the fault of the pygmies and in no way should they be discounted.

2 hours ago, Raziella said:

The choice to bury what might be rare new releases behind a wall of less desirable pygmies,

27 minutes ago, Serotina said:

The pygmies are pretty and I disagree that they're "less desirable." That's unfair to them. They're not less desirable, it's just that there are many variants of the other, which made the balance off. That's not the fault of the pygmies and in no way should they be discounted.

While this is true, the new pygmies shouldn't be dismissed as less desirable just because they are more abundant, I think it is worth acknowledging that many users simply don't collect pygmies/two-heads/drakes because of the very limited breeding pool. Something that seems to be rare (the scaleds) may be wanted by more users simply because of the rareness and/or trading value even if they don't normally collect a lot of two-heads, meanwhile the pygmies were outright blockers during the flood so those same people who don't collect limited breeding breeds may not be wanting the pygmies.

10 hours until TJ gets adults.... I'm curious to see how different each scaled variant is because some of the colors look pretty similar to each other.  (Why does TJ always get adults while I'm asleep? Always. I'll be checking first thing in the morning though!)

We're lucky we have the market for people to get their eggs from if they don't want to hunt.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if these eggs are more like Xenos, which I would say are uncommon. They pop up decently enough (I've been hunting for my second set), they're just in high demand right now. I'm happy we have a rarer two-headed. I guarantee once we get further into the month, it will be easier to get them, and since they're permanently and always available,  it's just a matter of time... which is the same thing as everything in this game. As long as they aren't Silver or Gold-tier rare they should be accessible.

Edited by High Lord November

27 minutes ago, High Lord November said:

We're lucky we have the market for people to get their eggs from if they don't want to hunt.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if these eggs are more like Xenos, which I would say are uncommon. They pop up decently enough (I've been hunting for my second set), they're just in high demand right now. I'm happy we have a rarer two-headed. I guarantee once we get further into the month, it will be easier to get them, and since they're permanently and always available,  it's just a matter of time... which is the same thing as everything in this game. As long as they aren't Silver or Gold-tier rare they should be accessible.

Agreed, if I were just guessing I'd say its the whole reason the market even exists lol

Also, releases have always been crazy and high demand, it's not like this is new

26 minutes ago, boscodelta said:

Agreed, if I were just guessing I'd say its the whole reason the market even exists lol

Also, releases have always been crazy and high demand, it's not like this is new

To be honest the only release I can remember being salty about was Staterae, as it didn't appear as a new egg in the main post for some time. Totally didn't know it existed so didn't bother to look for it. Got all of my CBs from the Market, bless.

And to be clear, I do think that having a blanket one-day drop would be fairer. The other complaint I see is the volume of eggs, which IMO I like because it gives me a goal for collection, and with 8 slots I have enough to at least get one of each if I'm lucky. We don't need to have two of all CB eggs in the first week, and you aren't failing or missing out if you don't get that.

Also just wanna say how hyped I am for the pygmy... looks like a miniature Thunderbird, I love both of the hatchling stages. 

I missed seeing the S1 pygmy hatching here and mine finally hatched, they're SO cute and remind me of little birds! I'm super happy with all the consecutive pygmy releases!

Been seeing plenty of the tiny "shock" eggs, but haven't seen any scaled ones yet. Granted, I only had the chance to check a portion of hourly drops yesterday and today. Seems getting them all is going to be a challenge.

so hard to catch this time ... 😕

I'm very sorry to keep harping on this, but I still want to underline that not wanting to hunt for things you'd like to have is not the same as not being able to catch them. I even believe that the market was implemented not only to give us more options for getting our desired dragons but also, if not above all, to ensure that everyone would have at least one option.

What is easy for one player and fun and challenging for another might be too challenging to be fun for someone else, or outright impossible. Not technically, I know! But in practice yes - one might have played for years without ever even seeing some breeds in the cave (and not just "true" rares), whether because of slow internet connection, busy life or anything.

So... if we could maybe just keep our fingers crossed that everyone would eventially get as many as possible of the things they want to have on their scrolls, one way or another, and in the meantime, try our best to enjoy the game with all its beautiful artwork and creative concepts. 😸 I don't think anyone really means to complain and be ungrateful, people are just worried if catching these cool newly released dragons turns out to be too difficult for them (which, I hope, won't be the case!)

This is super new since I just came back, but how do I know which eggs are there in different places I.e desert, alpine, etc?