TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

1 minute ago, Spyridon said:

Tell me about it, my goals were 12 CB pairs of each alt/breed.

I shall commiserate with you then XD

Im so excited, I love not being able to rush through all the new additions instantly

now that ive had time to process everything and take it in, i have actual thoughts!

not going to go back in and say whats already been said by myself and others about how overwhelming this was (i gwt very overwhelmed very easily, but funnily enough im kinda used to that feeling so i think i was able to handle this decently lol), but it didnt really let me appreciate some of the things that i would have otherwise!

orange is my favorite color, so im totally going to be collecting orange gems now. i love the day based mechanic. so helpful, especially since i took forever trying to get a 2g red gemshard as a mate for another dragon, only for the two to not be so compatible, and re-doing the gemshard would have been a nightmare without this! 

and im excited to see the new hybrid adults. i love the shade of purple that they are :) 

my one complaint here is i wish there was a drake alongside this. give drakes love some love, too ;) 

And once again I'm still awake two hours past my 'bedtime', oops. It's just so much fun to sit and stare at the hatcheries when the first batches start hatching!

1 minute ago, HeatherMarie said:

And once again I'm still awake two hours past my 'bedtime', oops. It's just so much fun to sit and stare at the hatcheries when the first batches start hatching!

relatable, I have a couple eggs close to hatching or starting to crack too so the anticipation is off the charts. my peach floret has been at the last crack stage the entire day so its just like come onnnnnnnnnn

6 hours ago, Tini said:

It does! The first purples spotted were market gemshards. 

Thank you!

Edited by Wiz

56 minutes ago, Astreya said:
5 hours ago, High Lord November said:

I also find the abandoned sapphire alt funny... I normally dislike AP walls, but this is the only time where AP walls would be good :P

Absolutely agree :D

I normally don’t like walls, but I would LOVE some coordinated events where all of us catch and abandon as many CB Blue Sapphires as we can. Maybe once a week? Or maybe we make a perpetually  “ongoing event” thread, and every time someone tosses a CB Blue Sapphire to the AP, they could announce it in the “Abandoned CB Blue Sapphires” thread.  The bred ones can already be announced in the “mass breed” thread. So this “perpetual ongoing event” could be for CB Blue Sapphires, since there will be a demand for them. :)

Wow 

Thunders are 3400 in the shop.

Golds are 1900.

6 minutes ago, missy_ said:

I normally don’t like walls, but I would LOVE some coordinated events where all of us catch and abandon as many CB Blue Sapphires as we can. Maybe once a week? Or maybe we make a perpetually  “ongoing event” thread, and every time someone tosses a CB Blue Sapphire to the AP, they could announce it in the “Abandoned CB Blue Sapphires” thread.  The bred ones can already be announced in the “mass breed” thread. So this “perpetual ongoing event” could be for CB Blue Sapphires, since there will be a demand for them. :)

I posted some bred Pink Sapphires to the Community notice board.

I can't catch things from the AP like that.  I'll have to hope someone has a few trades I can do. 

Edited by Mystic_Halo

5 hours ago, Kaini said:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/OeR8t

Found a little pink dude in the AP! I don't make many lineages myself, so it's fun to pick up these.

Ayy, I bred this bean! Congrats on the catch and thanks to @luneruze for making it pink. :)

Getting these lonely pinkies is becoming quite the community effort.

Edited by Lovecats

This is a lot to take in all in one release, but you know what? I like it. It's a lot to adapt to, but it beats sitting there breeding my rares over and over hoping to get my lineages to expand. It took me 5 years to get this guy! https://dragcave.net/lineage/Dhcij And this new Birthday goodie haul is a good way to try out new things and actually do something other than name, breed, BSA, AP hunt, rinse, repeat. 

Sometimes new things are tough for me to adjust to, but I eventually smooth out the wrinkles and feel comfortable. I'm still trying to take this all in while I wait for my 7 Florets and 1 purple hybrid to hatch, but in the meantime I'm not going to let this overwhelm me. It's very clear that everyone involved worked their scaly tails off for this event, and not many game sites like this make it to the the driver's permit age. Heck, my scroll is coming up on its 9th anniversary. 

The designs so far are amazing and I love the new Gemshard colors especially. I love purple, but that cyan one is catching my eye big time! I also really liked the Warded Canto. The light coloring is really nice on the eyes. It's so soft, yet strong. The earthquake one makes me think of the Hulk for some reason. 

Thank you so much hosts, creators, artists, TJ, and everyone who helped with this event. I can't wait to see the adults! :wub:

I still have 20+ pages to read back, but I just tried the Nilias even while I'm egglocked. I took a Nilia and a non-nilia, fertilized both, and a BLUE egg auto-abandoned. Then I fertilized two Nilias, and again it's a normal blue egg that was auto-abandoned. 

https://dragcave.net/lineage/pZbI8

Https://dragcave.net/lineage/x309Y

They both look blue to me.....

(Edited to correct the second link)

Edited by Darth Krande

25 minutes ago, Mystic_Halo said:

I posted some bred Pink Sapphires to the Community notice board.

I can't catch things from the AP like that.  I'll have to hope someone has a few trades I can do. 

Oh, I meant an ongoing thread for people to announce when they toss CB Blue Sapphires into the AP. :) They wouldn’t show up for a few days, anyway, but it would give more people the opportunity to nab them, either from the AP or in trade.  :)

Edited by missy_

Because people be asking for a list:

If it helps any, I made a Masterlist of almost all the info about the dragons we know as well as some other notes here:

On 5/22/2021 at 3:03 AM, Shokomon said:

{Snip}

Go here for the Master post of all the known mechanics and other stuff about the dragons.

As well as my spreadsheet (The DC Birthday 2021 Variant/Alt/Hybrid Tracking & Mechanism List)! Please help figure out the other mechanics!

I also made a spreadsheet that I would really appreciate assistance with, so we can figure out how to get the other "Florets," and the Gemshards.

...Though, with the Gemshards it looks like we have as substantial theory! I just need proof of Monday and Tuesday Gemshards. for documentation.

Now for stuff to respond to and update the master list with. 

12 hours ago, Pourlemoment said:

Personally, I'm really excited with the whole thing. Yes it was a bit overwhelming at first read, but then I just broke everything down and figured out how I was going to attack the problem.

1. By making a list of all new eggs, alts, variants or whatever else

2. By letting others decypher the riddles because I'm not good at that, and so many others are.  

3. By figuring out in which order I wanted to go after these new dragons

4. By happily locking myself with my first 8 eggs!

The thing that makes me especially happy about this release is that it will keep me working and playing for a long time.

Now, I'm not trying to convince anyone to be happy who isn't.  But I just wanted to share my own feelings and how I chose to approach this surprise.

If it helps, I've already got 1 and 2 down for you. See above!

11 hours ago, Tini said:

It's been a few pages so I figured I'd go ahead and give a breakdown anyway. Purple text for things that may not be intended/speculation.

Hide contents

Yellow Sapphire: Somewhere around 4 thousand overall views. Unique views have been as low as 300. Hatchies can turn.

Pink Sapph: Abandon action, not auto-abandon. Have not been able to turn yellow on purpose, possibly cannot turn yellow.

Copper: Copper x electric primary element dragons

Hybrid: Royal Blue x Royal Crimson

Electric: Stun the hatchie

Gemshards: Day of the week created, market included. Sunday chaos, Monday green, Tuesday red, Wednesday blue, and Thursday purple. Fri and Sat will be orange and cyan, unknown order just yet.

Green Cantor: Earthquake used last (Just has to survive, not be hatched by the earthquake)

White Cantor: Ward used last.

Nilia: Fertility used on both parents, does not have to be two nilia. Abandoning in anyway resets the color.

Florets: The Peach new pose was from jungle, and no other variants have been created in an intended way. Assumed cross-breed with original floret.

I mostly just hope the sapph hatchies changing and nilia eggs reverting is a bug, but there's no word of god in either direction about it so its hard to know for sure.

So excited to see the new floret and hybrid adults, I dont have the slightest clue what they'll look like.

Gonna yoink this.

Hatchies have to be able to turn. It's the only way we already have adult yellow Sapphires.

11 hours ago, missy_ said:

Can anyone help me with the following: (I have read the thread and wiki but am still confused about what we know and don’t know — and yes, I know about the spreadsheet ...)

Questions about Sapphires:

1. Is the only way to get a CB Pink Sapphire to pick up one from the AP?

So far yes, though trading test are leaning towards being able to trade for them. 

2. If the answer to #1 is “yes,” then if we receive one in a trade, or teleport it, does it turn blue?

It seems like they won't, but it's not confirmed.

3. Will there be any more CB Blue Sapphire eggs in the AP?

(Apologies again, missy_. This is why you should sleep at appropriate times. I have edited the response for clarification.)

CB Eggs: I suppose not. It's fortunate the Market is there, so you can at least buy them!

Bred Eggs: Auto-abandoned ones stay blue!

4. To get a CB Yellow Sapphire, can we make one from either a CB Blue Sapphire or a CB Pink Sapphire by getting it to more than 4,000 OVs (Overall views)?

Confirmed for Blue Sapphires, but not for Pink ones. From current tests, Pink ones don't change at the 4,000 OV limit.

Changing Pinks to Yellows has not been confirmed as well.

Questions about Electrics:

1. Can we get one of the new Electrics by stunning a CB Electric egg? ETA: I assume not, since Stun only works on hatchlings ... so we have to hatch the CB first, then stun it?

It should work on any hatchling, so yes?

2. If we stun a CB Electric egg to get a new CB Electric and then teleport/trade it, will it return to the original Electric? ETA: Never mind; forgot Stun only works on hatchlings.

It's all good.

3. If we stun an Electric hatchling to create the new type of Electric, then teleport/trade it, will the hatchling return to the original Electric sprite?

So far it looks like it will stay blue.

Question about Earthquake:

Does hiding eggs protect them from Earthquake? I am assuming it does not.

I actually don't know, but logically, it would still be affected. An egg on the ground, even hidden, will still feel the shocks of an Earthquake. 

Questions about Cantomaris:

1. Can we trade for/teleport a Green Cantomaris hatchling, or will trading/teleporting it cause the hatchling to turn orange?

Edit: @missy_ Im so sorry. I missed that you said Hatchling. Everything I said for the Cantomaris was in reference to eggs, not hatchlings. I will edit the rest of these for clairfication. This is why I shpuld respond to things at 3 am.

Hatchlings: Hatchling do not change color. So, you can trade them all ypu like!

Eggs: The Last BSA used will determine the Cantomaris' color when in the egg. So yes, the egg will, unfortunately, turn orange. That also means the reverse is true. Using Earthquake on a teleported Cantomaris egg, and having it survive turns it green.

2. Same question as #1, except for White Cantomaris hatchlings; I assume they will turn orange?

Hatchlings: White Hatchling also do not change color. It's true for all Cantomaris hatchlings!

Eggs: Only the Last BSA used on the egg matters. So, if you want a White Cantomaris, but need it teleported, check genders, etc., better do everything before you Ward it, as you can only Ward once.

3. Is it true that the only way to obtain a Green or White Cantomaris hatchling is to create them on our own scrolls, without being able to trade for them?

Hatchlings: Nope! You can get hatchlings by breeding or trading! Eggs on the other hand...

Eggs: For the most part, yeah, unfortunately. That's true for all Cantomaris eggs, except the Mundus, the Caveborn version. You can only catch those from the Cave.

Fortunately, you can still use Influence without changing the color...

For now...

4. I assume we can trade for a regular Cantomaris egg and then use the last action of Ward on it, to be White.

Eggs: Yup!

5. I assume there is no way to obtain a CB Green Cantomaris without creating it ourselves; is that right?

Hatchlings: You can trade for a CB hatchling, since they don't change!

Eggs: Not that I know of, but if you find another way, give the thread a heads up! I'm sure plenty of people don't want to risk their eggs with an Earthquake.

Though, reports in the thread say that the best chances of survival are when the egg is at its oldest. 

Thank you in advance if you can answer any of these questions.

Welcome! Even if they've been mostly answered already…

11 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

@Fyrebird  Okay that's strange, because I took a screenshot not long after the release started too, and this is mine:

290342534_DC15thbdaypost.jpg.bf445faa742bcfa549af5e485e04245e.jpg

I guess the eggs got sorted correctly not long after and I just didn't go back to the OP to see it? Huh. 

yoinking this to for posterity 

11 hours ago, Fyrebird said:

@Shokomon Has anybody tested whether teleporting/abandoning alt nilia hatchlings also causes them to revert? Maybe, like the new cantos, we just need to let them hatch before we try to move them around?

Not that I know of. Want to try? If you have a Nila, we could trade each others?

10 hours ago, Fyrebird said:

Well, drat. The pink sapphire that I watching to see if trading it made it revert... well, it's no longer part of a trade, and it's still pink. However, the message I got when I refreshed the trade link doesn't really specify whether the egg was actually traded. So this is still up in the air, unless the new owner is here in the forum.

unhelpful trade msg.png

I did save a direct link to the egg, and it is showing the user's scroll name, but I don't remember if that's the name that was on the trade.

If the direct link to the egg is a pink egg then, it stayed pink. Though I guess the issue is if the original owner cancelled the trade...

10 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

if pink sapphires turn yellow, then it must be a higher number. Personally I don't think they do, since TJ's probably would if they did. https://dragcave.net/view/CmUZg

Good to know. Yoink.

10 hours ago, Whirlaway said:

Gemshards are all on the same Encyclopedia page, so they are not a new breed. The only new breeds are the other Florets (the fat ones), and the hybrid this release.

Yoink.

10 hours ago, Dinala1641882 said:

No it did not change when I traded it. It stayed the blue stunned Electric color. My friend also said that it said it was already stunned when she went in to see if she could stun it again.

No, it doesn't change. My friend caught one (so jealous) and incubated it.

Nice! Add it to the Spreadsheet! Or I can add it if that is okay?

9 hours ago, Fyrebird said:

Alrighty then, looks like we have the schedule for gemshards. Color is based on the day the egg is grabbed/bred:

Sunday: chaos (random color day)

Monday: green

Tuesday: red

Wednesday: blue

Thursday: purple/amethyst

Friday: aqua/teal/cerulean

Saturday: orange

Gonna put this in the spreadsheet, but keep it unconfirmed until it's documented. 

And just as a note, I'm going to change the Gemshard names in the Spreadsheet to match te intended original names (ruby, jade, and azure). 

I actually named the aqua one "cyan" because I was going for a rainbow theme. We'd  just need a yellow. I honestly wanted to call the Cyan one  "Blue" and the Blue one "Indigo" to reference the original ROYGBIV rainbow, but I figured that would confuse people. 

So I guess to keep the theme, purple would be Amethyst, Aqua (for Aquamarine), and Citrine?

Edited by Shokomon
Fixed!

6 hours ago, Dinala1641882 said:

1, 2, 3, &5: Once it hatches it will stay the color it hatches as so trading it won't change it. If you can't/don't want to make it on your own, you can still get it by trading for a hatchling.

7 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

Questions about Cantomaris:

1. Can we trade for/teleport a Green Cantomaris hatchling, or will trading/teleporting it cause the hatchling to turn orange?

The Last BSA used will determine the Cantomaris' color. So yes, it will, unfortunately, turn orange.

13 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

2. Same question as #1, except for White Cantomaris hatchlings; I assume they will turn orange?

Yup. Only the Last BSA used matters. 

Shokomon, but see Dinala’s answer above about hatchlings. Not eggs.

8 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

3. Will there be any more CB Blue Sapphire eggs in the AP?

Auto-abandoned ones stay blue!

But I meant CB, not bred. We cannot auto-abandon a CB; we have to willingly click it in a biome, then purposefully abandon it. Unless I am missing something because brain fog.

If we are overburdened, we cannot pick up a blue CB Sapphire from a biome and then auto-abandon it.

Guys, I really think the new Florets can't be hybrids. They are just slightly different. What about the BSAs used on the eggs to see if they change colour? The Cantos, Electrics and Nilia alts are BSA based.

1 minute ago, Seejey said:

Guys, I really think the new Florets can't be hybrids. They are just slightly different. What about the BSAs used on the eggs to see if they change colour? The Cantos, Electrics and Nilia alts are BSA based.

I like the idea that a user proposed earlier that the new florets could be like a cuckoo bird deal. Could be likely since the dragons are depicted as bird-like and how the new sprites are designed to be mimics

2 minutes ago, luneruze said:

I like the idea that a user proposed earlier that the new florets could be like a cuckoo bird deal. Could be likely since the dragons are depicted as bird-like and how the new sprites are designed to be mimics

I don't get it and would like to read more about it. Can you link to it?

38 pages... 😅

12 minutes ago, luneruze said:

Thank you!

Oh, I get it. That'd be very cool, but I don't see it happening. Though it being a different dragon that wasn't released yet would be quite ironic giving the concensus of how overwhelming this mass release was.)

Edited by Seejey

9 hours ago, AmaNoGawa said:

I'm gonna be trying to grab sapphires to abandon tomorrow once a couple of my egg slots free up! If a whole bunch of people are doing the same then I'm hoping to catch at least one of them!

And I'm looking forward to collecting the new alts, even though there are so many it's gonna take me a while to get back to my breeding projects 🙃

Same here! If we all catch and abandon a Sapphire or two, we should be able to help each other out.

I’m loving the colouring on the new Sapphire eggs, they really look like the gemstone variants. So pretty.

19 minutes ago, Seejey said:

I don't get it and would like to read more about it. Can you link to it?

38 pages... 😅

On 5/21/2021 at 11:27 PM, oxoniensis said:

My second Floret theory is that three of them are  not real Florets, but some kind of cuckoo, imposter. The hatchlings are quite different, and bulkier, almost as though they’ve dressed up as Florets, but are really something different underneath. 

I suspect I’m wildly off base here, but thought I’d put it out there!

"This release was worked on, lovingly by the artists, months in advance, with excitement in mind that these new mechanics would bring something fresh and fun to the game. If that's not the case, fine, we can learn from it - "

There are exceptions, but I feel a lot of artists for the game view / experience the game very differently from the user base. 

If you're someone who is super engaged at the higher levels of art creation, and has that emotionally deeper investment, I'm sure going out of the box for zany ways to get dragons is a great way to keep something dear to you fresh.

For users like myself, though, who see this as a slow paced click and wait game, mechanics like this require a lot of time investment and frustration that feels out of place with the core gameplay of "grab a thing, check on it in a few days." The counterpoint to that would be "well look, isn't this dazzling new mechanic a way to alleviate that feeling?", but I just don't feel it meshes well. I play active games to play actively and passive games to play passively. If the only way to get a new character in an action game was to sit around for hours waiting, I'd find it mildly irksome and pace breaking. The reverse is true for the introduction of active mechanics in a passive game.

The other trouble is that DC gameplay doesn't exist independently of other users, and that it's specially limited. It's not JUST actively trying to hunt for an abandoned Sapphire, it's 1) relying on other people to make them and 2) fighting with other people to then snag them. Earthquaking Cantos meanwhile doesn't exist independently from normal gameplay. To get them, you have to waste time and space grabbing a bunch of eggs just so that probably a bunch will die and you get nothing for it, all while you can't work on anything else in the meantime. It's NDs with less effort and risk, but also much less payoff.

While I thus already find the mechanics aggravating and unfun, that feeling is compounded even more by the fact that it's a birthday thing, which historically is a time to get brand new dragons with much less effort than this release is requiring to get not entirely new ones.

DC is just a game, and despite what my lengthy posts might suggest, it's not keeping me up at night when something I dislike happens here. But I do feel there's a disconnect between the general vibe of the user base and the general vibe of the content creators, with this release being a bigger misstep than most. Which isn't to disregard the effort put in and the oft lovely art made, all on a volunteer basis. It's just unfortunate that, again, there seems to sometimes be differing perspectives between players and creators on what the game should be and where it's going.

5 minutes ago, oxoniensis said:

My second Floret theory is that three of them are  not real Florets, but some kind of cuckoo, imposter. The hatchlings are quite different, and bulkier, almost as though they’ve dressed up as Florets, but are really something different underneath. 

I suspect I’m wildly off base here, but thought I’d put it out there!

Thanks!

You won´t be able to get the Green Nilia eggs through the AP, the autoabandoned ones turn blue again and the willfully abandoned ones, too, so don´t waste your Fertility if you want to abandon the Nilia as a egg, I hope the hatchlings stay green at least (https://dragcave.net/lineage/ZfB37 was green before I abandoned)

edit: but I don´t understand why they revert to normal Nilias, since the action to make them green, was used on their parents, that shouldn´t have any effect on the eggs resulting, I would understand this, if the BSA was used on the egg ...

Edited by tjenni

Completely egglocked and I don't even have half of these xD

I am waiting for the day when the limits are being increased again / or when it doesn't matter wether you collect a lot of eggs or hatchies only.

Can't wait for them to hatch ❤️