TJ09

2021-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 15th Birthday!

14 minutes ago, KrazyKarp said:

The amount of complaining in here is overwhelming. It's a small addition of mechanics that are a bit tougher than usual. Not much different from the difficulty of getting NDs or Undeads, just some new mechanics that are a bit tougher with the pro of more variety. DC has never been a game of moving quick, so naturally you most likely will not have all of these alts for a bit of time. It's just how the game works.

On another note, I do think some larger issues being fixed would help make new releases more manageable, like how 3 eggs per biome has not been enough for a long time now, and ratios have needed an overhaul for a while.

It added FIFTEEN new things.  At once.

And honestly, I don't think many of us are looking for things that are comparably as difficult as NDs???  Considering those are elusive and painstaking for people who know how to do it?  I'd be interested in knowing what percentage of people even have one.  

If it was a whole mess of new breeding mechanics, or hybrids, etc, I wouldn't feel as overwhelmed, and could take my time.  Since it's a whole mix of things, much of which involves competing for eggs in the cave that were already difficult to find (especially for people who enjoy making lineages, and require CBs for them,) planning around using actions like EQ that could kill all of those hard won eggs, a mechanic that has to be babysat as it's almost guaranteed to make the eggs/hatchies sick otherwise, and one that's nearly impossible unless you know someone to trade with personally (and still with a good deal of luck doing it!)... I don't know, it feels insurmountable.  

I'm happy if people are having a good time, but I feel like most of my time now is spent searching for xenos, for cantos, etc and making little to no progress.  This added a slew more to my search, that are as others have said, already pretty tough to find (and the florets are pretty spendy on the marketplace, as well, if they're needed for breeding)  

21 minutes ago, KrazyKarp said:

The amount of complaining in here is overwhelming. It's a small addition of mechanics that are a bit tougher than usual. Not much different from the difficulty of getting NDs or Undeads, just some new mechanics that are a bit tougher with the pro of more variety. DC has never been a game of moving quick, so naturally you most likely will not have all of these alts for a bit of time. It's just how the game works.

On another note, I do think some larger issues being fixed would help make new releases more manageable, like how 3 eggs per biome has not been enough for a long time now, and ratios have needed an overhaul for a while.

THIS! & 6 per biome would help I bet :)

3 minutes ago, Falorni said:

I have to agree with Karp that some of the negativity in this thread really drags down the whole release - I fully understand where people are coming from with some of the complaints (personally not happy about pink Sapphires being abandon-only, and some of the mechanics seem... buggy to say the least atm) but please remember that the game isn't a race and most of these variants will be easy to get when the hype dies down in a little bit!

I think everyone should be able to express their opinions about new releases and complicated mechanics. I'm sorry that you feel it's 'dragging down' the release, but this *is* a record-breaking release with multiple brand-new mechanics that we still haven't even figured out and I think it's natural that some people are frustrated over it and feel like it's just too much. I'm seeing a lot of excitement and speculation and such too, so it's not like we are *only* being negative. 

I unfogged most of my new eggs earlier than usual to start getting them views so hopefully they'll actually hatch on time for once... Still hunting for Sapphires/Gemshards/Electrics. I saw one single Sapphire in the AP and it was blue, so I'm guessing it was auto'd instead of 'willfully abandoned'. That was frustrating to finally see one and it be blue! 

I just wish we had more slots lol but I'm really enjoying this extra learning curve and challenge and beautiful art!

3 minutes ago, Raziella said:

It added FIFTEEN new things.  At once.

Aye, cause it's the 15th birthday. And there were 10 for the 10th. I imagine they'll be 20 for the 20th. I think we should just brace for the milestone birthdays to have a ton of dragons.

Its definitely a lot, but it is for a reason.

1 minute ago, HeatherMarie said:

I think everyone should be able to express their opinions about new releases and complicated mechanics. I'm sorry that you feel it's 'dragging down' the release, but this *is* a record-breaking release with multiple brand-new mechanics that we still haven't even figured out and I think it's natural that some people are frustrated over it and feel like it's just too much. I'm seeing a lot of excitement and speculation and such too, so it's not like we are *only* being negative. 

I unfogged most of my new eggs earlier than usual to start getting them views so hopefully they'll actually hatch on time for once... Still hunting for Sapphires/Gemshards/Electrics. I saw one single Sapphire in the AP and it was blue, so I'm guessing it was auto'd instead of 'willfully abandoned'. That was frustrating to finally see one and it be blue! 

Oh please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying people shouldn't be allowed to voice frustrations - however the way a lot of people have done it comes off as them assuming everyone has the same opinion as them regarding the release and honestly it almost makes us who actually enjoy it feel guilty about it if that makes sense?  I realize I might just be reading too much into it but it's moreso a case of "please consider how you express your feedback and remember that it's a game where you have all the time in the world" rather than "just don't be frustrated lol"

I thinking maybe it's time to separate topics and leave this topic just for discussing how to breed the new hybrids while the pros and cons of the release mechanic should be placed elsewhere?

Edited by Spyridon

Personally, I'm really excited with the whole thing. Yes it was a bit overwhelming at first read, but then I just broke everything down and figured out how I was going to attack the problem.

1. By making a list of all new eggs, alts, variants or whatever else

2. By letting others decypher the riddles because I'm not good at that, and so many others are.  

3. By figuring out in which order I wanted to go after these new dragons

4. By happily locking myself with my first 8 eggs!

The thing that makes me especially happy about this release is that it will keep me working and playing for a long time.

Now, I'm not trying to convince anyone to be happy who isn't.  But I just wanted to share my own feelings and how I chose to approach this surprise.

8 minutes ago, Pourlemoment said:

Personally, I'm really excited with the whole thing. Yes it was a bit overwhelming at first read, but then I just broke everything down and figured out how I was going to attack the problem.

2. By letting others decypher the riddles because I'm not good at that, and so many others are.  

3. By figuring out in which order I wanted to go after these new dragons

4. By happily locking myself with my first 8 eggs!

The thing that makes me especially happy about this release is that it will keep me working and playing for a long time.

Now, I'm not trying to convince anyone to be happy who isn't.  But I just wanted to share my own feelings and how I chose to approach this surprise.

do you still need help with step 2? 

6 minutes ago, Pourlemoment said:

My list is pretty chaotic right now, lol. I haven't even attempted to make room in my alphabetized-spreadsheet for these new ones yet, but I've been screenshotting some of the posts that give very simple clear explanations of what we know so far. It definitely does make a difference (at least to me) to stop, step back, and decide what I want to focus on first and how I want to record things (like screenshotting instead of typing my own notes). 

(Random, but how did it not 'click' in my mind at first that this new royal hybrid includes a parent of Nobleshields? My lovely wonderful pretty Nobles, they'll probably be scarce for awhile while everyone switches to using Royal Crimsons for these new ones.)

1 minute ago, Tini said:

do you still need help with step 2? 

Not quite yet, thanks! 

I've been keeping an eye on this thread and on the Wiki since whatever is discovered is added there.

It looks like pretty much everything but the Florets was figured out, and the Gemshard theory should be confirmed in the next few days.

Anyway, I have a lot of eggs to catch before I get to the Florets.

But I appreciate the offer! :) 

My opinion. Just my opinion. I do not presume to speak for anyone else.

I am 71 and, yep, I feel overwhelmed sometimes by all the puzzles and things to be figured out in releases like this one. That's why I wait for others to solve it all for me. Thank you, people.

I know that at some point when it is considered appropriate everything will be condensed into one post that will be highlighted for us and placed where we can find it easily. I will be ready for that. Or, of course we can turn to the Wiki.

Not sure whether I will ever be able to catch or obtain the Pink Sapphires. Time will tell. As to the Green Cantos, my plan is to (I feel this is a bit complicated, hope I explain clearly): 1. Spend a few hours trying to catch Cantos in the cave. 2. When I have some, breed some of the new hybrid/variants. 3. Incubate the bred dragons so they will hatch before the Cantos. 4. After the bred eggs hatch, EQ the Cantos. Hopefully they will be old enough to not be killed by the attempt. We'll see how it works.

I expect getting all of these to be a lot of fun, with the possible exception of obtaining Pink Sapphires.

Thank to everyone that had any part of this. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DC!!

7 minutes ago, Pourlemoment said:

I've been keeping an eye on this thread and on the Wiki since whatever is discovered is added there.

Some of the stuff on the wiki might be lagging behind what we actually know due to people having issues with spoilers (for example, users have adult sapphires already), so recommend watching this thread above all else. I feel sorry for people who are working out the mechs only to find that some of them were unintentional/glitched, adds to the overwhelmingness

Edited by Spicedpunch

It's been a few pages so I figured I'd go ahead and give a breakdown anyway. Purple text for things that may not be intended/speculation.

Spoiler

Yellow Sapphire: Somewhere around 4 thousand overall views. Unique views have been as low as 300. Hatchies can turn.

Pink Sapph: Abandon action, not auto-abandon. Have not been able to turn yellow on purpose, possibly cannot turn yellow.

Copper: Copper x electric primary element dragons

Hybrid: Royal Blue x Royal Crimson

Electric: Stun the hatchie

Gemshards: Day of the week created, market included. Sunday chaos, Monday green, Tuesday red, Wednesday blue, and Thursday purple. Fri and Sat will be orange and cyan, unknown order just yet.

Green Cantor: Earthquake used last (Just has to survive, not be hatched by the earthquake)

White Cantor: Ward used last.

Nilia: Fertility used on both parents, does not have to be two nilia. Abandoning in anyway resets the color.

Florets: The Peach new pose was from jungle, and no other variants have been created in an intended way. Assumed cross-breed with original floret.

I mostly just hope the sapph hatchies changing and nilia eggs reverting is a bug, but there's no word of god in either direction about it so its hard to know for sure.

So excited to see the new floret and hybrid adults, I dont have the slightest clue what they'll look like.

Can anyone help me with the following: (I have read the thread and wiki but am still confused about what we know and don’t know — and yes, I know about the spreadsheet ...)

Questions about Sapphires:

1. Is the only way to get a CB Pink Sapphire to pick up one from the AP?

2. If the answer to #1 is “yes,” then if we receive one in a trade, or teleport it, does it turn blue?

3. Will there be any more CB Blue Sapphire eggs in the AP?

4. To get a CB Yellow Sapphire, can we make one from either a CB Blue Sapphire or a CB Pink Sapphire by getting it to more than 4,000 OVs (Overall views)?

Questions about Electrics:

1. Can we get one of the new Electrics by stunning a CB Electric egg? ETA: I assume not, since Stun only works on hatchlings ... so we have to hatch the CB first, then stun it?

2. If we stun a CB Electric egg to get a new CB Electric and then teleport/trade it, will it return to the original Electric? ETA: Never mind; forgot Stun only works on hatchlings.

3. If we stun an Electric hatchling to create the new type of Electric, then teleport/trade it, will the hatchling return to the original Electric sprite?

Question about Earthquake:

Does hiding eggs protect them from Earthquake? I am assuming it does not.

Questions about Cantomaris:

1. Can we trade for/teleport a Green Cantomaris hatchling, or will trading/teleporting it cause the hatchling to turn orange?

2. Same question as #1, except for White Cantomaris hatchlings; I assume they will turn orange?

3. Is it true that the only way to obtain a Green or White Cantomaris hatchling is to create them on our own scrolls, without being able to trade for them?

4. I assume we can trade for a regular Cantomaris egg and then use the last action of Ward on it, to be White.

5. I assume there is no way to obtain a CB Green Cantomaris without creating it ourselves; is that right?

Thank you in advance if you can answer any of these questions.

Edited by missy_

10 minutes ago, missy_ said:

1. Is the only way to get a CB Pink Sapphire to pick up one from the AP?

4. To get a CB Yellow Sapphire, can we make one from either a CB Blue Sapphire or a CB Pink Sapphire by getting it to more than 4,000 OVs (Overall views)?

1: So far this seems to be the only way that had been found.

4: Yes, though not sure if a pink one will change.

Questions about Electrics:

3. If we stun an Electric hatchling to create the new type of Electric, then teleport/trade it, will the hatchling return to the original Electric sprite?

Once my electric hatches I'll happily try and see if it changes back.

Questions about Cantomaris:

1. Can we trade for/teleport a Green Cantomaris hatchling, or will trading/teleporting it cause the hatchling to turn orange?

2. Same question as #1, except for White Cantomaris hatchlings; I assume they will turn orange?

3. Is it true that the only way to obtain a Green or White Cantomaris hatchling is to create them on our own scrolls, without being able to trade for them?

4. I assume we can trade for a regular Cantomaris egg and then use the last action of Ward on it, to be White.

5. I assume there is no way to obtain a CB Green Cantomaris without creating it ourselves; is that right?

1, 2, 3, &5: Once it hatches it will stay the color it hatches as so trading it won't change it. If you can't/don't want to make it on your own, you can still get it by trading for a hatchling.

4: Yes the last BSA used is the color you will get.

Edited by Dinala1641882

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

Question/clarification about the Florets:

When TJ's were eggs the colors were all jumbled up, not all sorted together, and I'm not completely sure I understand what hatchies go with what eggs. Based on the few Floret hatchies I've seen in hatcheries and what I've read in this thread, the first three hatchies in TJ's post (the ones that have the same pose as the old Florets) are *not* from the eggs we pick up in the Jungle? Is that right? The ones we pick up in the Jungle are one of the new-pose types?

Not true. TJ's eggs were sorted by color (although the sheer number and color of eggs was a bit confusing at first).

I took a screenshot shortly after midnight because his eggs hatch so quickly that I wanted a visual reference. The floret eggs are the bottom row. As you can see, the peach eggs that were in the jungle are the second set of eggs. The hatchies remain in the same order; those hatchies are indeed the new body shape.

DC 15 birthday-TJs eggs.png

@Fyrebird  Okay that's strange, because I took a screenshot not long after the release started too, and this is mine:

290342534_DC15thbdaypost.jpg.bf445faa742bcfa549af5e485e04245e.jpg

I guess the eggs got sorted correctly not long after and I just didn't go back to the OP to see it? Huh. 

I have to admit, my feelings on this release are mixed. While a bit overwhelmed at first, I actually liked the "theme" of the release for a birthday event as such; 15 is a milestone, and the celebration should be big. It's a lot to keep track of and figure out sure, but that's what my spreadsheet / collection tracker is for. As I've been able to fill it out the situation starts feeling more manageable. 

I am beyond ecstatic about the update to Gemshards. I probably drove my family and friends to distraction about trying to breed the right color gemshards for several lineages around the holiday, so having a way to ensure I get the right color??? OMG, so much yes! I love it so much.

Most of the breeding and BSA stuff is new and interesting, and even the green cantor I've come to terms with; I'll just have to be sure to finagle my timing, similar to what RainDear described above. I can work with this - again, thank goodness for my spreadsheet.

Since we've not yet heard it confirmed as a bug, I'm starting to assume it's intended, so from that point of view, I'm a bit disappointed about the alt Nilias reverting back to normal if abandoned or traded. One of the activities I got into over the holidays is helping people with lineages - either breeding things they are having trouble with or providing unrelated offspring. From that point of view, it feels a bit disheartening to think neither I nor anyone else can help with requests like that. 

Florets I'm withholding judgement on until we know the mechanics of the last three eggs.

So now, Sapphires. I'm very glad I'm done with the original blue variety from a CB collection standpoint, as any I want to hatch blue will require very careful watch to ensure I don't accidently turn it yellow, especially given how the hatchies seem to be able to change. But those pinks. To be honest, I'm feeling defeated when it comes to the pink sapphires. To me the AP means that egg is gone forever, so forcing me to give up an egg to turn it a specific color feels a bit like you are telling me I can't have it. Yes, I know everyone can hunt for them on the AP, but that's kinda the issue, isn't it? There is no guarantee (and in fact, odds are against you) that you be able to find the specific lineage (Parentage / generation) that you are looking for; "any lineage" doesn't work for a number of players. There was a strategy a few pages back I'll try with a buddy where one times an abandon action just right while the other sits on the AP ready to catch it, but I honestly don't have much hope of ever being able to reach my goal with that variant, and that just makes me feel sad.

As always, I greatly appreciate the work of TJ and all the spriters involved. All the new variants really are lovely!!

@HeatherMarie Huh. That's about all I can say. Maybe at first he thought to mix them up like the gemshard hatchies, and then decided that wouldn't work (because only one set of eggs was actually dropping, perhaps?), and it just so happened that I never saw/noticed the mixed up version before I took my screenshot.

2 hours ago, Lagie said:

I've been calling it teal in my notes

I was going with teal originally too, but teal typically has more green in it, so I switched to calling it aqua. Of course, aqua is what I'm calling the new nilia eggs, too.

3 minutes ago, Kaityn said:

I am beyond ecstatic about the update to Gemshards. I probably drove my family and friends to distraction about trying to breed the right color gemshards for several lineages around the holiday, so having a way to ensure I get the right color??? OMG, so much yes! I love it so much.

I feel like all the talk about the mechanics and trying to figure stuff out and such has kind of overshadowed how big of a deal this is. I know a lot of people love Gemshards but won't even try making a lineage with them because of the randomness and frustration involved. Having an actual consistent mechanic (no matter what it is, actually) is such a relief! I'm not much of a lineage-maker but I'm so excited by this.

6 minutes ago, Dinala1641882 said:
13 minutes ago, missy_ said:

4: Yes, though not sure if a pink one will change.

What do you mean by “not sure if a pink one will change”? Change into what, exactly? Do you mean “change into a blue one?” or “change into a yellow one? I am not following your answer.

8 minutes ago, Dinala1641882 said:

You can't stun an egg only a hatchling.

I know this; I am tired and had already edited my post. Please see my correction. Do you by any chance know the answer to #3 about the Electrics?

10 minutes ago, Dinala1641882 said:

1, 2, 3, &5: Once it hatches it will stay the color it hatches as so trading it won't change it. If you can't/don't want to make it on your own, you can still get it by trading for a hatchling.

This is a relief, if we can trade for white or green Cantomaris hatchies without them changing color. Thank you.

2 minutes ago, missy_ said:

What do you mean by “not sure if a pink one will change”? Change into what, exactly? Do you mean “change into a blue one?” or “change into a yellow one? I am not following your answer.

I know this; I am tired and had already edited my post. Please see my correction. Do you by any chance know the answer to #3 about the Electrics?

This is a relief, if we can trade for white or green Cantomaris hatchies without them changing color. Thank you.

I saw your edit right after I answered and updated my post. I totally understand how that stuff happens.

I'm not sure if the pink will change to yellow if it gets enough views. I haven't seen anyone state anything. Same with the electric and trading. I'm waiting for my egg to hatch and then I can trade with a friend and find out.