TJ09

2021-04-25 - April Dragon Release

Color and characteristics for both of these could be related to incubate. The two-headed dragons mention burnt metal.  In real life, the sex of alligators and crocodiles is determined by temperature. Since we can influence the chirpy ones, incubate might change markings or something since they all live in the jungle. (Or TJ just forgot to change them 😂)

Edited by Jazeki
Clarity lol

I think they are just different depending on where they were caught - browny for volcano and greyer for desert. Like the pargulus pygmies - the eggs all look the same, but they hatch in 3 colours, depending on the biome where they were caught.

image.png.0516ebd67dc59bfcc04ae10fbc33bcc8.png

Finally have 2, 2 and 2 from each of the biomes. I love the looks of these new babies. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

I expect the Desert dragons are one color, maybe the lighter brown, and the Volcano may be the darker brown. And, of course, we must have another green egg for the Jungle! XD

I wonder if TJ will fix the genders before they grow up? So we can see the dimorphism in the adults lol

Everyone is soooooo sure that its related to biome. I seem to remember the spinel wyverns everyone thought it was biome specific for them too. They too are Volcano and Desert. However if y'all recall only the RED Spinels are wild and the Greens are bred. TJ had CB of BOTH in the release thread for them. He had all 4 types of Lunar Herald during their release when it was only dropping bronze or silver (forgot which) for the entirety of the flood. I can point out multiple other instances where TJ has had CBs of dragons that need to be influenced in some manner (breedings, BSA, time of day, etc) in the release post for said dragon. So don't be all too sure that its as simple "oh one is one biome and one is the other." For all we know the only way to get one of these 2 variants is by grabbing an egg at midnight when the blue Lunar Heralds are dropping and then incubating the egg.

Considering that any Desert egg of the two head sorts above all of the Volcano eggs, it's simply a biome variant.

30 minutes ago, Vampyre said:

Everyone is soooooo sure that its related to biome. I seem to remember the spinel wyverns everyone thought it was biome specific for them too. They too are Volcano and Desert. However if y'all recall only the RED Spinels are wild and the Greens are bred. TJ had CB of BOTH in the release thread for them. He had all 4 types of Lunar Herald during their release when it was only dropping bronze or silver (forgot which) for the entirety of the flood. I can point out multiple other instances where TJ has had CBs of dragons that need to be influenced in some manner (breedings, BSA, time of day, etc) in the release post for said dragon. So don't be all too sure that its as simple "oh one is one biome and one is the other." For all we know the only way to get one of these 2 variants is by grabbing an egg at midnight when the blue Lunar Heralds are dropping and then incubating the egg.

People aren't 'soooooo sure' they're just speculating. The simplest and most obvious answer is usually correct and we have 2 different colours dropping in 2 different biomes. 

41 minutes ago, Tini said:

I wonder if TJ will fix the genders before they grow up? So we can see the dimorphism in the adults lol

If there IS dimorphism....

41 minutes ago, Vampyre said:

I do HOPE it's just biome related or bred. I'm still getting over the Xols... the Siyats...  and as for the Cantomaris...

Just caught mine right now! I love the looks of the green hatchie, it looks so cute ^^ I got two from Deert and two from Volcano just in case. If the colors are not biome-related we'll know soon enough and can grab more 

Has anyone incubated/influenced/precogged/etc the metal ones? Do they move positions in breed-sort if you do any of those things? I think it's likely they are biome-related, but after Cantors all my confidence is shot, lol. 

Edited by HeatherMarie

Just now, HeatherMarie said:

Has anyone incubated/influenced/precogged/etc the metal ones? I think it's likely they are biome-related, but after Cantors all my confidence is shot, lol. 

I influenced and just incubated all of mine. 

Ooo, I know what one dragon is!! One of the first times I remember a DR dragon for a release. The other one is still a total surprise. Loving both!

7 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Probably not; probably colour coded by biome, as with the Pargulus pygmies. We've never had anything that showed its gender with the S1 hatchie.

Uhm... Alcedine Wyvern do.

1 minute ago, Shakura Kazuki said:

Uhm... Alcedine Wyvern do.

Correct me if I misunderstood, but all Alcedines show is color variant; both genders share a sprite either way so there's no gender related dimorphism in any of them

Edited by Falorni

Just out of curiosity I checked on existing mechanisms that give us alternative forms/colors within a single breed (not counting dimorphism, or breeds that have color cycles like Nocturne, Spirit Wards or Stratos).

If I counted right here are the results: 

Time (includes seasons, moon cycles, time of day, etc): 6

Random: 5

Bred: 5

Biome: 5

BSA: 2

5 minutes ago, Falorni said:

Correct me if I misunderstood, but all Alcedines show is color variant; both genders share a sprite either way so there's no gender related dimorphism in any of them

I just say, Alcedine S1 ungendered hatchling is slightly more blue if it genders male. So you can see the gender in the ungendered S1 hatchling.

Anyways, they are gendered now and colors/genders are mixed, so my idea was not right.

Could be biome related. Grey for volcano and brown for desert. They have the color of basalt and sand.

Edited by Shakura Kazuki

Just now, Shakura Kazuki said:

I just say, Alcedine S1 ungendered hatchling is slightly more blue if it genders male. So you can see the gender in the ungendered S1 hatchling.

Do you have any proof/screencaps of that?  It's the first time I hear of it and the wiki doesn't showcase any dimorphism :-0

2 minutes ago, Falorni said:

Do you have any proof/screencaps of that?  It's the first time I hear of it and the wiki doesn't showcase any dimorphism :-0

Wait wa... oh my god. I'm stupid. I thought the blue was the male and the red the female. For months. And I have collected a few of them because I like the sprites a lot. I somehow totally ignored the gender symbols.

Guess I was just dumb, thanks for telling me. I would've never found out otherwise.

Just now, Shakura Kazuki said:

Wait wa... oh my god. I'm stupid. I thought the blue was the male and the red the female. For months. And I have collected a few of them because I like the sprites a lot. I somehow totally ignored the gender symbols.

Guess I was just dumb, thanks for telling me. I would've never found out otherwise.

Oh lol it happens; also thought that for a good while myself :D  

43 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I do HOPE it's just biome related or bred. I'm still getting over the Xols... the Siyats...  and as for the Cantomaris...

I mean with 4 eggs its either hatchie and adult dimorphism or alts, and given all 4 girls are the same...

Biome or bred has my votes, they're not moving with incubate.

Shoot I'm egglocked! I'm hoping this means that the new eggs will be easier to get later on once people have grabbed a lot! 😅

56 minutes ago, Tini said:

I mean with 4 eggs its either hatchie and adult dimorphism or alts, and given all 4 girls are the same...

Biome or bred has my votes, they're not moving with incubate.

Well the EGGS didn't. But remember the siyats....

Well, I guess I will have all one variant, then because I have incubated and influenced all of mine. That's okay, though, because my scroll goals demand 4 CB males and 4 CB females of each variant, so I will have plenty of time to collect them once we figure out the mechanics.

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Cantomaris.....

*has PTSD flashbacks*

I uh... I mean uh, I love those dragons! They're great! (seriously, I do love them, just needed time to get over that 4-color BSA kafoozle) 

I hope it's either biome specific or alt at least. like the two headed gator dragons. Baikala , if I remember right?