TJ09

2021-03-13 - Sprite Updates

I like all the new updates except for the Thunder. The hatchlings used to look so cute and huggable, but... now? meh. The adult itself looks fine, I like it better than the hatchies, but I still prefer the original sprite for it. 

I like that we can see the Snow Dragon's design a bit better now and the Sakuhana has a much better face and head. the Lacula hatchies are much easier to see now regarding the slight change in color tone.

for the new look, the S2 Thunder hatchie is actually harder to make out now, regarding the wing look and shape change compared to what it was, where are before it was easy to tell where the arm ended and the wing tip began. Now it looks like it has three arms. I don't mean to be harsh if that sounded that way, but I'm curious to know why a design changed was warranted in the first place?

I'm not sure I know what the changes to the 2016 Holiday dragon are, but I have to say that I am really pleased with the changes in the magi and thunder and may want to add more of each to my collection, beyond BSA purposes.  I loved the lacula to begin with, but the added definition really makes it pop.  The sakuhana has more detail now too, and is still really adorable.  

Good job, spriters!

I love the sprites updates!

I think Laculas are my favorite of the new sprites - the older sprites (especially the adult sprite) felt fuzzy to me, and that really turned me off of them. I'm definitely more likely to pick up some Laculas now.

The Magis and Thunders are both vast improvements imo. I'm glad a lot of the issues with Magis were addressed in the new sprites. The Thunder hatchies are ADORABLE!! I also really like the color change in the lightning - it seems a bit more realistic of a color choice, and I think it really helps distance the sprite from a too cartoony look. It's a lot easier to read as well. Both of these were dragons I only really collected for their BSAs, and their sprites are definitely a lot more enticing to me now.

The Sakuhana and Snow sprite updates are nice. Not a huge difference but they emphasize the patterns more and I like that. The Sakuhana's wing seems a lot more believable to me now.

Personally I'm all for sprite updates, I think adjusting older sprites to address anatomy issues and bring older sprites up to the current standard of quality of the site is a good thing. I understand the nostalgic aspect though, and I think the faithfulness to the original sprites is wonderful.

Overall, great work spriters!!

2 hours ago, RainDear said:

I also believe that "updating" sprites should be artist driven, not user driven - I think that the changes should be made because the artists feel a need to improve on their own work, not because players decide to find fault with existing sprites..

They are mostly done by the original artists. 

I'm also reasonably sure they have to ask the original artist before they can do an update otherwise.

I'm hopeful dorsals will never get touched lol. I very much do see the problems on dorsals so I'm sure they're on the list, but I don't know which spriters style I would trust with them and I love them.

Staring at thunders a bit more they do seem like they went from a blue-black base to a black base, but I'm not sure that's actually what happened, because lighting be like that. I'm happy to give up some of the blue for lightning that looks good personally.

I am laughing about how I say I can finally tell the difference between arm and wing on the s2, and people are saying the exact opposite of me.

Though I also feel Sakus feel softer now and others disagree. Oh, art.

Edited by Tinibree

Oh wow, sprite updates!

Overall, I like them all. 

I liked the shape of the Lacula heads more before the update, but I think the shading is better now and the new wings are stunning. 

Magi is a 100% improvement IMO - I love the new sprites.

Sakuhana is also a 100% improvement for me; they were one of the few holiday dragons that I actively disliked previously. While I still wouldn't say I like them, they do look much better to me. They just look..... I dunno, cleaner? 

The Holiday shoulders and wing arms look much improved imo. The wing fingers also great and I do like that the gold is easier to see. The bottoms of the wings do look a little flatter as a result, though. 

Thunders are the only one I'm iffy on. It's much improved from a technical standpoint - the shading and such are stunning on the new sprite. It just doesn't feel as sleek as the old one; the pose feels more 'floating' and less 'darting' now, if that makes sense? It just feels like this one lost a lot of it's personality to me, but it's nothing I won't get used to. 

The new thunder sprite is top notch, I love these updates-

Would be awesome if we got more in the future. Cause just- mmmm nice

i clicked on a thunder by accident and was like "that looks different... WAIT, it IS different!"
nice! some of these were overdue for a change. the magis look fantastic! 

1 hour ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I... I can't unsee this now XD

Then my job here is done 🤣

Having been able to sleep on these changes and let them sink in:

The Laculas were a breed I didn't really like before, and now they're growing on me. The bamboo-like segment highlighting is what's really doing it for me, and the more distinct wings when before they looked more like wyrms than amphs.

The Magis were a much-needed change, and now I can actually tell what's going on with the hatchlings. Big props to Mal for fixing what to me was among my least favorite sprites on the site.

The Sakuhanas look so much better to me now, with the changes most noticeable in the wing but otherwise a bunch of more subtle things going on. Colors an patterns are more distinct, the face and legs look better, the tail fluff is brilliant.

The Thunders are my favorite change. They were one of those breeds I loved the concept of but didn't like using in lineages because of the sprites, and now they have much better lightning, much better proportions and pose, and especially much better shading that gives them this rich, metallic navy blue look. I do find it rather odd that Thunders were changed but not Ice or Magma, which also suffer a bit from old standards and limits, but if any had to get an update I'm glad it was the Thunders.

The Snows are the only ones that didn't seem to get their sprites completely remade and that's fine by me. The small linework tweaks aside, which I like, the new shading is great and makes their patterning pop a bit more. Props to Infi.

If we talk of sprites I think need an update, Dorsals, Stones, and Blacks would be at the top of my list. Ice and Magma would just need tweaks in color and shading, but the first three suffer from "old sprites with required limits" the most, imo.

ah i love the new thunder!! i miss the lines on magi wings (fingers i suppose) but the art is so nice 

i'm hoping to see art updates for black and canopy dragons :D

Edited by Plaguenurse

3 hours ago, Saynna said:

EDIT: I do wonder what Herk thinks of the new Magis 🤔

*psst* I've got a feeling that she might like the update

interesting selection of dragons to edit, i'm really surprised to see some rather recent breeds up there.

big fan of the lacula edit! i always thought the og looked a little... off. off balance, perhaps. also LOVE the new magis because the originals were some of my least favorite sprites, i think because the shading made them look... lumpy, almost. the new version is so detailed and sleek!

thunder looks nicer and still has the same essence, so i don't mind it.

the last two... i'm not entirely sure why they were changed since they look pretty much the same. i was never a huge fan of sakuhanas but i do like the larger wings, and snows still look like the other light-blue winter dragons, but, again, i do like the wings. totally ambivalent about those changes since they look largely the same and i dont think many people had strong opinions on the sprites.

now that i'm looking at the sakuhanas on my scroll, they look loads better. so much crisper and cleaner. still not my favorite sprite, but a nice enough change that i might pick up more next valentine's day!

Edited by steeve

MY opinion on the change:

Snow and Sakuhana are virtually the same, Saku is a little better-fed and less shiny

Magi change I applaud! I love the new clarity and the fix hon the tail that looked chopped. Hatchies were very weird and twisted before. They look nice now.

I'm a bit sad for the Lacula as it became less shiny and more 'heraldic'

On the thunder I'm pissed the lightning color was changed. Now it doesn't match (to me) whith Electric, Golden and Bronze Shimmerscale or Gold. It is also a lot darker and went from a Scooby-Doo style to kind of Marvel radical diferent style. Not matching with what it used to :(

But why is Nobody talking about the annoying mobile change? Extra clicks and a menu that constantly freezes?! PLEASE give us the perfect confy icons back! 😭

37 minutes ago, camelia2 said:

But why is Nobody talking about the annoying mobile change? Extra clicks and a menu that constantly freezes?! PLEASE give us the perfect confy icons back! 😭

I have a thread on this. You're right, it is a massive pain.

14 minutes ago, dragongrrl said:

I have a thread on this. You're right, it is a massive pain.

Thank you - please head over there. No one's talking about it here because this thread is on topic :P

Sprites look amazing! No complaints here. Thank you for fixing the Magi hatchlings and for giving Thunders feet!

Thank you spriters' for your hard work!

Lacula - 💚 I'm fond of the changes, the feathers are more prominent as feathers and overall, I think it's a beautiful change to the adult sprite.

Magi - I honestly will miss the hatchlings, but hatchies aren't too big a deal since we don't see them much after freezing. I think the change to the adult sprite is nice - I like the changes to its head/neck area. I think I will miss the old sprite, though. I never thought its art needed change, and sometimes it's nice to see some of the older pixelwork.

Sakuhana - ❤️❤️❤️ I really love this sprite change. Something about the pose looks less awkward (lol for a fantasy creature, I know this might sound funny) and the details are easier to make out (the hearts on the wings). I own 16 Adults, 2 frozen hatchlings. I think that number is going to go significantly up next Valentine's event.

Thunder - I don't like this change. It looks busier than its old sprite. And plus, I really liked how the yellow and blue stood out on the old sprite. The new sprite kind of made it more monochromatic. I don't really feel strongly about this breed, though. So good for those who like the changes.

Snow - not very different to me. Still as beautiful as its old sprite.

Edited by Kiyoura

Not bad!  A little mad that the Laculas got updated now, since now I'll have a harder time trying to catch them in the cave, lol!

The only feedback I would offer is that the bright yellow lightning bolts of the old Thunder dragon was an important color consideration for lineages.  My lineages that pair Thunders with yellow dragons don't really work anymore (example: dragcave.net/lineage/cwAbL )

Edited by Cielmuir

1 minute ago, Cielmuir said:

My lineages that pair Thunders with yellow dragons don't really work anymore (example: dragcave.net/lineage/FU0b8 )

I'd argue that it still works, but in a much different way. :) Now there's more focus on the metallic dark blue, which contrasts nicely with the Turp's yellow while also slightly matching its black.

4 minutes ago, Keileon said:

I'd argue that it still works, but in a much different way. :) Now there's more focus on the metallic dark blue, which contrasts nicely with the Turp's yellow while also slightly matching its black.

Thing is, I made that pairing specifically to match the yellow colors, not for the blue.  Also, it was one of the first lineages I planned out on my own, so I have a lot of attachment to it.

Edited by Cielmuir

1 minute ago, Cielmuir said:

Well, I made that pairing specifically to match the yellow colors, not for the blue.  Also, it was one of the first lineages I planned out on my own, so I have a lot of attachment to it.

Very fair! Just thought I'd offer a different perspective.

4 minutes ago, Keileon said:

Very fair! Just thought I'd offer a different perspective.

I see now that maybe I came off as a bit passive-aggressive, which wasn't my intent :P

I'm sure it looks nice to the outside observer; but it's a let-down when I remember what it used to look like.

Oh wow. I really like the changes to almost all of them. In my opinion the Magi one was way overdue and the update to the Lacuna definitely made it more appealing to look at in my opinion. I already liked the Sakuhana and the Thunder Trio, so the update to improve their sprites even more is welcome. Sakuhana is personally one of my favorites to look at. I think it looks even better. Yeah not much more to add other than I fully support these updates. The Thunder Trio’s hatchlings now look even better than ever. Kudos!

I am a bit lukewarm on the changes for the Christmas dragon. I feel like the update removed detail in shading and makes it smoother, but I can see the anatomical improvements. I personally think other sprites should have been chosen for updates besides the Christmas dragon that were chosen but I respect the artists wishes to update the sprite in a way they feel improves it. Perhaps the intention was to make the dragon have less shading and it wasn’t realized in the original vision. 

edit: I think the Thunder lineage seems a bit too far zoomed out? They seem to not stand out as much in lineage view to me. 

9474DAD6-8FE5-4D90-939C-770D334A507B.jpeg

Edited by Charu

I'm personally in the leave old sprites alone group but most of these are at least in same vein as the old.

I do dislike the new Thunder hatchlings and to a lesser extent the magi ones but the rest of the updates aren't bad.

I agree with the others about leaving the old sprites alone. Some of them look quite well done, but it made my heart a little sad when I looked at one of my magis and noticed it was different which lead me to this thread. I wish there was the option to display the original sprites on your scroll, but make it so everyone sees the new sprites if they visit your scroll. Editing to add this mostly goes for Thunder and the Magi dragons, the new ones don't matter to me as much if they are changed. Weird preference, I know.

Edited by Tetelestai