TJ09

2021-03-13 - Sprite Updates

The more I have been looking at the new Thunders, the less I'm interested in the change. The lineage tile blends too much for my eyes/poor vision on the normal/default cave background and there's just something about the Thunder update that doesn't click with me.

Other than that breed, I do like the updates to the rest of the dragons. Though I would like to see some of the oldest sprites (Stones, Dorsals, etc) given updates someday too...

My pride and joy is my Sunsong x Thunder line(s), so this did have a big impact on something dear to me and I thought I'd give it a look.

It does look pretty nice! The Thunders look more sharp and defined and regal. However I do feel the addition of proper shading gave the overall sprite a darker color feel. Also I really miss the bright yellow lightning now--the new lightning SPRITING is great, but the paler colors really wash out compared to the original vibrant ones. I also still think the horns get lost in the wing, but that was a problem with the original too, so eh.

5.png.534b2961ec675ec5c2ac42cf3e0b5220.png

The Sakuhana update I like quite a bit. I don't have a strong opinion on the Magi or Lacula. But I really dislike the new Thunder. It reads as a completely different colour to me in the lineage tile now, and it no longer has that pop of yellow to give it a little something extra. 

Droppin' some static side-by-sides we put together for wiki records.

I can't get over those Thunder hatchlings, they're adorable ❤️ 

Spoiler

2021-03-13_Lacula_update.png?format=orig

2021-03-13_Magi_update.png?format=origin

2021-03-13_Thunder_update.png?format=ori

2021-03-13_Sakuhana_update.png?format=or

2021-03-13_Snow_update.png?format=origin

1 hour ago, Charu said:

I am a bit lukewarm on the changes for the Christmas dragon. I feel like the update removed detail in shading and makes it smoother, but I can see the anatomical improvements. I personally think other sprites should have been chosen for updates besides the Christmas dragon that were chosen but I respect the artists wishes to update the sprite in a way they feel improves it. Perhaps the intention was to make the dragon have less shading and it wasn’t realized in the original vision.

I'm really confused on this comment. The update shows off the wing detail which was hard to see on the non salts. The yellow blended into the white a lot but now you can really see it, that's really the only shading change.

31 minutes ago, VixenDra said:

I'll be missing Lacula's face, the new one is much less clear/readable compared to the original, I blame the shape changes to all the top half of the head, especially the nose horn and brows blend together now
pity, the original head shape was one of the nicest on DC which I sadly can't say about the updated one, not sure why this bit was changed (I mean shape of the head), all it needed was some shading refinement, not a redo:<

Yeah I really liked the Lacula face, it gave off sort of arrogant vibes and the new one looks kinda bored. Its so interesting to me how much the vibe changed when the pose didn't. I wonder if its just because the contrast dropped a lot.

But gosh the wings are just so flipping good.

Edited by Tinibree

Well, I like the new Snows and the Laculas.  Don't really care for the Thunders yet (just my opinion), and I haven't decided on the Magis.  I do like their head frills though.

Edited by Library_gremlin

The more I look at the Thunder updates, I do see why they were updated, in terms of anatomy and simply making features easier to see (I think especially the s2 hatchies have benefited in terms of 'easier to understand the sprite as a whole'). I still do not like the color changes though, while I understand a lot of it has to do with shading/whatever the old Thunder adult was beautiful in part because of it's smooth look (imo), specifically the smooth basic-ness on it's back/wings. The addition of all those little 'pops' of different-shade-blues really take away from the smooth/sleek feeling to me. 

(Maybe it's just me but with the new Thunder I can't see the 'horns' as horns at all, it looks like a wild wind-swept mane/hair look to me, and no matter how many times I look that's the only thing it reads as to me.)

i love love LOVE the updated sakuhana! the fullness of the wing is very appealing and to me the overall sprite seems somehow brighter and at tne same time softer. 💛  this has moved them from my casual-collecting list to actively-seeking for next valentines.

as a fan of pseudo checkers, i'm looking forward to trying the new lacula as a substitute for the green snows in lineages.

thank you, spriters! ❤

The updates look pretty good! I'll miss the old ones, but we'll always have record of the old sprites on the wiki pages. Thanks to everyone who worked on the updates. I really like the new Thunder and Lacula.

I really like the new Thunder as well! I love the definition on its wings. The updates to the Laculas make me not want to collect them anymore. They look a lot more menacing to me now, larger, which fits with the Slytherin theme, but now I can't unsee those Laculas as Nagini. XD 

The sprites look more in focus now. Thanks. Easier to see the Thunder Dragon hatchling's head.

Should we remind the naysayers what happens when they speak ill of the artists' work? We lose artists/sprites altogether. 

Please, be respectful. There could be worse changes.

While I'm usually slow to warm up to changes, I must admit that I think these updates are all really nice.  I especially like the new Magi because it looks like a much younger and stronger version of itself.  :D

48 minutes ago, deathwisp said:

The sprites look more in focus now. Thanks. Easier to see the Thunder Dragon hatchling's head.

Should we remind the naysayers what happens when they speak ill of the artists' work? We lose artists/sprites altogether. 

Please, be respectful. There could be worse changes.

I agree people should be respectful and not directly attack the spriters, but there is nothing wrong with explaining why we don't like a change or why we preferred the older ones if that's how we feel. In fact I think people who don't like a change *should* speak up and especially explain their viewpoints (the way many people here have), lest the spriters/TJ get the wrong impression. Sprite updates are a Big Deal in a game where the whole point is to collect those sprites and everyone's viewpoint should be taken into consideration, not just the people who agree with the spriters. 

Hmm, I think the only two I'm iffy about are the magi hatchie and the thunder. Both look a little...idk, not as clear, to me? 

I really like the Lacula update, though!! 

Ohhhh~~ Those changes are amazing!! the attention to detail is fantastic! AHAHa... Thanks so much for the updates!! :D

I'm usually pretty strongly against sprite updates but I think these were well done and fairly minimally disruptive. The only new sprite that I am a little iffy on is the Thunder, but even then I can tell that the new sprite is better made. My issue is that the horns are kind of messy/confusing but looking at the old sprite it seems like that's always been a problem. I think the gap between the neck and the body on the new sprite (that didn't exist in the old sprite) draws attention to that area and that might be why I am noticing the horns more now. I'm also a little sad about losing the top ramen looking lightning of the old sprites but I admit that the new sprite is overall more realistic and I do like the blue lighting.

I gotta say that I was a big fan of the overall head/fin shape on the old Magi sprites and now that their fin shape is lessened somewhat it's throwing me off a bit, but all in all the new sprites look very polished and shiny compared to the old ones. Think the spriters who worked on them did a great job!

Edited by azila

I am mostly pleased with the changes. Particularly the new thunder sprite, one of my favorite species, looks magnificent now. But unfortunately I must say that I don't like the new Lacula face design, the old one looked more fierce and stylish. 

Edited by Xorath

Delightful updates, thank you! I love seeing improvements like these, especially when they remain so faithful. 🥰

I love all of them except the Thunder, 'cause that's too nostalgic ;;o;; Also it doesn't seem like.. that much more detailed to warrant the change actually? With the Lacula dragon there's a clear upgrade in detail, which is pretty cool. Thunder seems a little random.

I LOVE all the others though, they look great! :D

I love these updates. The magi no longer hurts my eyes and the thunder is majestic and gorgeous! I hope that the other two get an update soon.

I think I like the new Thunder (all stages) best out of the bunch, followed by the adult Magi, and then the Sakuhana's new wings.  The others I'm kinda 'meh' about, but they're not bad.

The new sprites look much more polished and defined than their originals, but do keep the spirit.

Holiday 2016 - The minor shading definitely helped better define this dragon's wings. A minor change, but a welcome one.

Magi - I will admit that I'm not as fond of the new 'spikey looking' Magi hatchlings as their originals - but the adult is wonderful.

Lacula - I always felt the old Sprite was a bit busy and wasn't fond of them...but the new sprites have impressed and made me less opposed to having some frozen hatchlings.

Sakuhana - never realized how 'foggy' the face of the original adult was. And I will admit I'll miss the 'bed head' look of the s2, but eh. The new one is just as nice.

Thunder - seems to have lost weight, gained more muscle tone, and figured out how to generate better lightning. My one complaint is about the head of the adult - I liked the original 'simple' two-horn look of the head...this new one [with the more branching lightning aesthetic] is a little too busy for my tastes though (still awesome)

All in all, I like the new sprites...Now can we give Stone dragons some love?

8 hours ago, Tinibree said:

I'm really confused on this comment. The update shows off the wing detail which was hard to see on the non salts. The yellow blended into the white a lot but now you can really see it, that's really the only shading change.

Yeah I totally worded that confusingly. The wings have blended shading now and I kind of liked the aesthetic on how wavy they looked. It reminded me of really shiny wrapping paper. 

The new shading does help the gold a bit more. Which is overall beneficial because I never noticed the gold before. 

I still hope to see Stone, Vines, and Geodes get a touch up. They are not “bad” sprites, they just stand out compared to the new standards of DC sprites. It’s like how old textures from Vanilla WoW stand out compared to modern WoW. They just need an update to help bring additional detail and fix some sprite oddities. With how much I like the new Magis I definitely look forward to the future updates. 

Edited by Charu