TJ09

2021-03-13 - Sprite Updates

The following breeds have received a sprite update:

• Magi Dragon
  • Thunder Dragon
  • Lacula Dragon
  • Sakuhana Wyvern (2019 Valentine's)
  • 2016 Holiday Dragon

Sprite updates are not undertaken lightly, and are always done with an eye towards preserving the feel of the sprite as well as its appearance in lineages. Updates are typically done for older sprites to improve anatomy, fix shading issues, and bring them more inl ine with the ever-increasing standards set by newer sprites.

We hope you enjoy these improvements. I'm personally pretty excited to see the updates available to everyone, especially the new Magis (one of my own favorite breeds).

Funny, I just recently thought if older dragons will get an update some day XD

Edit: okay, Lacula is not really old lol - LOVE the new look!

Also like the improvements on Sakuhana and Snows, their details are shown much better now.

The others I just need to get used to^^

Edited by Kiwiana

For Sakuhana and 2016 Holiday dragon (Snow) I don't see much difference, but for the rest - definite improvement :)

Edit: 

Sakuhana look more cartoonish now, but it does not ruin the look

Snow - I see the difference now and it's more sleek I guess?

Thunders - love! My lineages look either the same or better! The color is darker and deeper :)

Magi - much better, and very faithful to the original

Lacula - I didn't think they needed an update but it does look better now

Edited by natli

I'm not seeing the change with the Sakuhana and Snow dragons...? Are they really minor? XD

Love the way the Magi looks now!

Love the new Thunder sprite, the lightning on it is so much more lively!

Awesome job on all updates they are subtle but perfect!

God i'm not moving past the magi update because its so good. THE Lacula tho! I already loved it but now even more so.

Wow! Cool XD

Edited by baepbird

Thank you so much for all the work and efforts to keep this game fresh, neat and updated! 

Sprite look is indeed a big part of it, i need to check them RIGHT NOW

55 minutes ago, natli said:

For Sakuhana and 2016 Holiday dragon (Snow) I don't see much difference, but for the rest - definite improvement :)

The Snow edits I think were mostly shading tweaks to make the patterns stand out more. Cross-checking, the Sakuhana was also mostly shading tweaks but also some facial edits to make their eyes slightly larger.

e: cross-checking the rest, yeah the reason I was eh on the Lacuna was the head being entirely redone; the changes alter aspects of the original expression that I found appealing, though I can also see why the sprite was changed overall (and the new wings are very lovely).

Edited by Guillotine

Oooh - I'm always a bit wary of sprite updates, because it feels a little like erasing part of my online history (if that even makes sense? xD) , but I love these. The magi and thunder look so smooth and sleek, and the reworked detail on the lacula is magnificent. The Snow update, although much less obvious, is lovely; that wing detail. 👌 Probably wouldn't have noticed the changes on the Sakuhana if it hadn't been mentioned, but with a reference pic for the old version, they're also easy to spot and nicely done. Great job to all involved!

well, the yellow from old-thunders electricity/lightning had been a bit more visible on the beige background i think. The Differnece from Magi are mildly, but the Lacuals are really much better now. I see no difference by Sakuhana and Snow 😆 but maybe my eyes are just too old for the slight changes.

This just makes me sad... Magis now look underfed and overly saturated which is pretty noticeable in shallow water lineages; while thunders look so out of place and overshaded... 😦

Oh boy... this makes me fear the day all the older dragons I love for their soft colors will be turned in overly saturated muscle dragons...

Edited by DyingLight

As usual, I don't see the need for updating sprites, unless they are really wonky or broken. Especially the he Lacula looked great before the update, and I don't like the new version. At all.

Like Sakuhanas, they are comparatively recent dragons, so I don't understand why an update should have been necessary so soon after their release. 

I do understand the wish for updating Thunders and Magis, though, and I think the new versions look good (didn't mind the old ones, though). The new Snows look pretty as well.

What I like about DC is that there are so many different styles of dragons. I do not like all of them, but I appreciate the different artistic approaches and efforts. Trying to streamline the sprites is no improvement IMO. But we've had this discussion before, so I won't elaborate.

Neat. Do the Seasonals kinda look different, too, or is it just me?

I know they got several updates throughout the years but this one seems new as well.

I love these changes, especially to the Magis! I love my orange dragons. ♥ Thank you to those who had a part in this.

The new Thunders are, dare I say it, stunning.

Thank you for this update! All of the new sprites are gorgeous, and they've given new life to breeds that I might have otherwise had little interest in, due to their outdated appearance. You can really see the difference for all of them.

Oh wow, so neat! TY artists!

Very big fan of the thunders and Vday changes especially. I want to collect more thunders now!!! ❤️

The added white on the magi's head and tail are super nice!! The highlights on the stomach are freakimg me out rn bc i see them and think, "ribs are showing, must feed hungry dragon." but the second my brain translates it to just highlights i know im going to adore them and stock pile them with more enthusiasm. They're suck a nice colour of orange! Always have been and still are!! TY TY!! ❤️ 

I would have - rather not seen the older ones changed, as they were fine by me, and part of History - but at least I believe we will never get another shock like the golds; these aren't a fist in the eye !

But thanks to everyone for the work they put in at all times.

oh? on god? not sure how i feel about the thunders but i am sure they will grow on me in time 🙂