TJ09

2021-03-13 - Sprite Updates

Lacula, Sakuhana and Snow dragons look a lot better now! Great upgrades!

The Snow looks a bit brighter and more glittery as far as I can tell - I like that because it looks more like pure sparkly snow, while the old one came off as a bit dull. If I had any input I would say that the colours of the antlers could have been adjusted a bit to something more like pale almond brown - I've always thought that that dark brown stood out too much.

The new Lacula looks fantastic and has definitely climbed up a few steps on my personal popularity list.👍

I'm also pleased to see an update of the Magi; I thought just very recently that the old sprite could use a light touch-up.

The Sakuhana update is very nice too - looks more defined and not as busy somehow. The head and turquoise details on the wings are more visible now.

The Thunders has got a more lively pose. I think the new highlights makes it look a bit more like shiny leather in appearance.

I threw together some side by sides, with the caveat that I pulled the previous sprites from the wiki which makes them a bit blurry. Only really matters for the holidays since the changes there are more subtle. https://imgur.com/a/ZN2Wnkr never noticed how wonky the magi wing was before, love the white details in the frill, makes it pop. Still love the lacula update so much, lost some of the fun in the head but the wings make up for it in a big way (the butt wings are cooler too). Thunders of course, really needed some help, and i love the way the shading was done. Can finally tell wing from arm on the s2s lol

Edited by Tinibree

Very very nice, though I'm not seeing the difference in the Sakuhana sprites. Thank you spriters for all your hard work.

Edited by Wiz

Oh boy, thanks for the hard work, but Thunders were a favorite - not anymore, I'm sorry. Sure it glitters but lacks personality totally. I am not in favor of redoing old ones - I'd rather see new species and keep the old as they are.

Thank you for the updates, TJ and artists!

I really like the updated Thunders!

The other sprites wouldn't have needed an update in my opinion, but the new sprites are pretty (and not too different, i.e. not lineage-breaking), so everything's good.  :)

oHH MAN massive improvement on thunders and magis!  I wasn't fond of laculas before but the new sprite looks pretty good, n the polishing of the hols is nice too

Is it me or does anyone else not see anything different about Snow... but when I look at the 2017 Dragon... that does look updated... or maybe that's just me?

I'm gonna guess he meant 2017... Garland Dragon.  Someone else look and see if I'm right...

Wow, the new magis are so cute! And I think laculas look now more similar in style to the other breeds of that release (does that make any sense? My thoughts don't translate very well into English today... anyway, the sprite is fantastic.) The new snow sprite looks smoother, it's beautiful, I'm happy there weren't any bigger changes because it's one of my (many) favourites. Well done everyone!

10 minutes ago, MalagAste said:

I'm gonna guess he meant 2017... Garland Dragon.  Someone else look and see if I'm right...

No changes to the Garlands, FWIW.

Snows did have an update, but it's really just a shading update. You can notice it most prominent by looking at how the shoulder is defined (it is now much broader, to accommodate more of the muscle needed to power flight wings).

2016 and 2019 sprites get updates but not Stones and Dorsals and Geodes? Balloons? ...Why? XD;;

- I like the new Magis!

- I don't even see a difference on the Snows

- Slytherins and Sakuhanas ehhh. Kinda dislike the face on the Sakuhanas now. Idk how I feel about the Slytherins.

- Was slightly looking forward to the Thunder tweaks but I don't see much improvement. I see what was changed but it doesn't do much for me. The horns get super lost in the wing.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Ooh, love the updates! ^_^ Thank you! Would say Baloons would benefit from a retouch too, maybe Dorsals as well.

1 hour ago, Tinibree said:

I threw together some side by sides, with the caveat that I pulled the previous sprites from the wiki which makes them a bit blurry. Only really matters for the holidays since the changes there are more subtle. https://imgur.com/a/ZN2Wnkr never noticed how wonky the magi wing was before, love the white details in the frill, makes it pop. Still love the lacula update so much, lost some of the fun in the head but the wings make up for it in a big way (the butt wings are cooler too). Thunders of course, really needed some help, and i love the way the shading was done. Can finally tell wing from arm on the s2s lol

Thanks!

Yep, still love the Magi. 

Snow such a small update haha. XD

I definitely dislike the Lacula and Sakuhana changes. Sakuhana's weird face shape is even clearer now and Lacula, I like the bigger tail but I greatly dislike the new face (the nose looks bumpy at the end!) and not a big fan of the scaling, it looks more worm than snake.

Thunder I still think the horns are even less obvious on the update. The rest is ok I guess, doesn't do much for me either way.

Ugh the thunders are so gorgeous, favourite of the bunch!!!!! They actually look better in my lines now, a true Zapdos esc dragon! 

Laculas I can see the need for the update when you compare the two, they still look lovely in lines, the holidays are shinier and some of my lines now pop more.

Magis tho make my heart break a tiny bit. It is the uncomfortably small size of the sprite in the lineage box which really bugs me, considering the previous sprite was say taking up 90% of the box, and this one is about 75%.

It just looks really… awkward and a bit sad XD my brain just cannot get over it. 

@MalagAste - Yes, I'm seeing a difference in the Garlands too, the berries are much more prominent.

Spoiler

New sprite:595340589_garlandnew.png.a312ebeebf67ffc197017d68b7c4f0db.png

Old Sprite: Garland_adult.jpg.2f1789557d569fad7aa54ac2b9bec2af.jpg

Edit: or does the wiki use a duller picture or something? I'm literally comparing one image from my scroll to the one on the wiki.

Edited by Ripan

5 minutes ago, Ruffledfeathers said:

Ugh the thunders are so gorgeous, favourite of the bunch!!!!! They actually look better in my lines now, a true Zapdos esc dragon! 

Laculas I can see the need for the update when you compare the two, they still look lovely in lines, the holidays are shinier and some of my lines now pop more.

Magis tho make my heart break a tiny bit. It is the uncomfortably small size of the sprite in the lineage box which really bugs me, considering the previous sprite was say taking up 90% of the box, and this one is about 75%.

It just looks really… awkward and a bit sad XD my brain just cannot get over it. 

Ah I was wondering at the posts complaining about the Magis cuz they look super faithful to me, but that'd explain it. That's probably more the automatic lineage tile  maker at work than anything, maybe make a suggestion asking if it can be manually tweaked? 

There was literally no change to garlands lol 

Anywho, love the updates! I'm a huge fan of the new lacula and happy the magi got some love. 

31 minutes ago, Ripan said:

@MalagAste - Yes, I'm seeing a difference in the Garlands too, the berries are much more prominent.

Hide contents

New sprite:595340589_garlandnew.png.a312ebeebf67ffc197017d68b7c4f0db.png

Old Sprite: Garland_adult.jpg.2f1789557d569fad7aa54ac2b9bec2af.jpg

Edit: or does the wiki use a duller picture or something? I'm literally comparing one image from my scroll to the one on the wiki.

Huh, it does seem like there is a difference. In the wiki the big image with all sprites against the scroll background, and the individual transparent one of the adult, are definitely both duller than the current sprite. I definitely don't remember the berries being so red.

@schenanigans are you sure? To me it seems like a simple increase in saturation or something but still.

Edit: Got totally sidetracked and forgot to say I really like the sprite updates. The Thunder definitely needed it, and while I didn't think the Lacula had any issues before, the new version is even better. Thanks!

Edited by MissK.

I love all the new sprites, especially the magis since I have a lot for trading. Will dorsals get updated next? I think they need it the most.