TJ09

2021-03-13 - Sprite Updates

I love the new Magi sprite. I always thought that it was hard to make out the details in the old version. The new image is much clearer.

1 hour ago, random_dragon_collector said:

~removed~

...chill, my guy. It's a pixel dragon. It looks much better now, especially alongside the other older breeds that have been updated.

Edited by Kaini

28 minutes ago, MissK. said:

Huh, it does seem like there is a difference. In the wiki the big image with all sprites against the scroll background, and the individual transparent one of the adult, are definitely both duller than the current sprite. I definitely don't remember the berries being so red.

@schenanigans are you sure? To me it seems like a simple increase in saturation or something but still.

Edit: Got totally sidetracked and forgot to say I really like the sprite updates. The Thunder definitely needed it, and while I didn't think the Lacula had any issues before, the new version is even better. Thanks!

Yes, she's sure. No updates to Garlands. Remember, wiki images are compressed.

I also really like the updates.

These sprite updates just leave me scratching my head.  The new reds remind me of the style of the old magis, and the new magis remind me of the style of the old reds.  If one goal is to bring the old sprites up to new standards--I just don't see it.  We've got nearly 300 breeds now--why should they all have the same style.  I thought 2020 was an amazing year--I loved nearly every sprite to death, but that didn't make me think, "gosh, the old sprites look shabby."  I'm glad to have both!  The history of the site through sprite art takes another hit.

the old magi hatchlings were a mess of indecipherable anatomy. im lucky to have carved a reasonable hatchling shape out of them. i dont understand sprite update deniers lmao

yoo wait the new magis look awesome!! i'm glad the hatchlings actually were given a definitive shape

The Magis and Thunders — in love!!!! Definitely two updates I’ve been waiting on. :D 

I always thought the old magi hatchies looked like big blobs of orange with a dragon head, while the new ones have actual definition that makes them look like actual hatchies.  Massive thanks to the spriters who worked on these! ❤️

Magi Dragon - I love the new sprite but I wish the lineage view stayed the same.

Thunder Dragon - Neutral on this one, it's not bad but something about it bothers me.

Lacula Dragon - This one was fine before in my opinion, but now that I've seen the update, wow the shading is so much nicer. Prefer the head on the old one though.

Sakuhana Wyvern (2019 Valentine's) - Small but nice changes.

2016 Holiday Dragon - I can't really tell what changed.

Still, a bit surprised these got updates instead of something like Stone.

22 minutes ago, DyingLight said:

Meawhile the new magi looks malnourished. It's ribs are showing and if it were to stand up, the belly would be glued to the spine, which is pretty unnerving to say the least. It probably bothers me more than others due to dealing with animals that were one step in the grave throughout this winter and every time I go to make a trade that's all I can think about. And there's no avoiding it or not collecting the particular breed if I'm "unhappy" with the rework as it plays an important role in the game's mechanic.

~removed~

The sprites are anatomically sound and underwent lots of crits in order to get to this point. If they were malnourished and anatomically incorrect, it would have been pointed out by the myriad of artists that were around for the update process. Being able to see ribs is not a direct correlation to health, nor is the stomach... Honestly I don't even know what your issue is there, that complaint makes no sense. 

Nobody has issues with people who have emotional attachments to sprites; we all have that and understand. But to attack a sprite and say that there are anatomical issues or blatantly ignorant statements are excessive. 

Edited by Kaini

22 minutes ago, DyingLight said:

Meawhile the new magi looks malnourished. It's ribs are showing and if it were to stand up, the belly would be glued to the spine, which is pretty unnerving to say the least. It probably bothers me more than others due to dealing with animals that were one step in the grave throughout this winter and every time I go to make a trade that's all I can think about. And there's no avoiding it or not collecting the particular breed if I'm "unhappy" with the rework as it plays an important role in the game's mechanic.

~removed~

have u ever seen a greyhound they're all ribs and not malnourished thats just how they look

EGehQiG.jpg

also nice spriter bashing, keep it up 👌

Edited by Kaini

4 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I would have - rather not seen the older ones changed, as they were fine by me, and part of History -

Ditto.

1 hour ago, yieldy said:

Ooh, love the updates! ^_^ Thank you! Would say Baloons would benefit from a retouch too, maybe Dorsals as well.

Noooo. Please leave my dorsals alone.

1 hour ago, MaccyVees said:

Will dorsals get updated next? I think they need it the most. 

Nooo. Please leave my dorsals alone.

46 minutes ago, random_dragon_collector said:

The adult magi isn't bad, I actually kind of like it, but I LOVED the magi hatchling, and it's been completely ruined.

My thunder hatchie's been wrecked, too. :(

2 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Noooo. Please leave my dorsals alone.

I have to disagree, the dorsals are just plain boring right now. The shading and linework is very basic. The sprinters have clearly improved in their art leaps and bounds and can do great work with them now IMO. 

It would be cool if people could have the option to switch between new and legacy sprites though? That way everyone is happy. 

To the new sprites... yuck. The old lacula needed help, but this just moved the problem area from the tail to the torso - I'm getting weird optical illusions with the foreshortened wing melding disturbingly into the neck. The thunders lost almost all their colour, and now clash with themselves! The sakuhana and snow changes aren't really noticeable, but the others... I guess I generally don't like change, and especially when it's a surprise. The palate changes are going to impact lineage appearances. I personally like a lot of the older sprites, because the art style is cleaner.

24 minutes ago, DyingLight said:

~removed~

It doesn't look like a dying puppy at all? Have you ever even seen a malnourished animal? It looks healthy. Very muscular, lithe, lean and in great condition.

If you want malnourished then just look at the neglecteds. 

Edited by Kaini

7 minutes ago, MaccyVees said:

I have to disagree, the dorsals are just plain boring right now.

Boring is definitely in the eye of the beholder. Red dorsals are high on my list of favourite dragons.

5 minutes ago, Kakaru_of_DOOM said:

I guess I generally don't like change, and especially when it's a surprise.

With you here!

I really love the updates, a big thank you to the spriters for that!

54 minutes ago, DyingLight said:

~removed~

This is completely subjective on your part. I'm not seeing it and the people with actual art background and knowledge don't see it either. 

People are allowed to disagree with your frankly hostile complaints which are borderline accusing of animal abuse imo. 

40 minutes ago, Kakaru_of_DOOM said:

To the new sprites... yuck. The old lacula needed help, but this just moved the problem area from the tail to the torso - I'm getting weird optical illusions with the foreshortened wing melding disturbingly into the neck. The thunders lost almost all their colour, and now clash with themselves! The sakuhana and snow changes aren't really noticeable, but the others... I guess I generally don't like change, and especially when it's a surprise. The palate changes are going to impact lineage appearances. I personally like a lot of the older sprites, because the art style is cleaner.

Thunders are literally the same color. Its just not pillow shaded to be the same exact shade everywhere. So now it has the same colors with a few highlights. How does that equal them losing all their color? Genuinely asking. 

These updates on all the dragons are very good and were necessary. Nostalgia and refusal to adapt to change will not stop that. 

The only legitimately objective complaint that I can find so far in this thread are the people saying that the magis take up less space in the lineage view if that is actually correct. Everything else is subjective and based on personal preference and open to disagreements. 

Edited by Kaini

I like the updates on the Lacula the most - especially since I greatly disliked it in its original state. I can't really see the difference in the Snows, but cool. And nice to see the Sakuhanas had their wings changed, still a breed I forget about but nice to see some changes. Magis are cute, too.

The only one I'm ehh about is the Thunder adult. The hatchies are cute, but I don't know what it is about the Thunder that just.... is alright, I guess. 

I wonder if more sprites will be updated this year, like Dorsal, Greater Spotted Drake, etc?

Thunders were a favorite of mine for awhile, and I’ve been tentatively hopeful for the day they received a polish. Thankfully I feel this update is faithful to the look of the original sprite. It’s better than I hoped for, even! Those silky wings! That crackling lightning! :wub:

I really like the updates, they are fresh but still true to the original. Great work, spriters and thank you!! :3

Lacula and Thunder dragons look so good now! Definitely going to have to hoard them.