TJ09

2021-01-24 - January Dragon Release

I like the mechanic as well. Needing to trade to get one of the variants is kind of annoying, but otherwise it's really cool.

I'm sure there will be something like this thread to help obtain the orange variant, if not that thread itself, so I'm not too worried.

10 minutes ago, Amberfly said:

Honestly one of the colors being tied to teleport is dismaying. I rarely trade so getting those ones is going to mean a major alteration in my play style unless I want to abandon my goal of 10 CB of every dragon. I can handle having to influence, precog, and incubate in a certain order, but since teleporting erases influence on eggs and it's the last action performed that determines the color, doesn't this make orange ones effectively unable to be influenced? You'd influence and get whichever color that makes, then teleport to get orange but that erases the influence, and if the person who received it influences it it would no longer hatch orange. If that's how it works, you'd have to precog, hope for the gender you want, then teleport, and if it's not the gender you want you're just out of luck. And that is...not something I like.

Based on people's experiments it seems like influence doesn't overwrite other BSAs. And technically it's also possible to trade hatchlings if the genders are wrong. But provided that influence is indeed not an issue I would say catch the eggs normally, put them up for swaps asap, then proceed as usual. It's definitely a hassle but not impossible.

16 minutes ago, Amberfly said:

and if the person who received it influences it it would no longer hatch orange.

Apparently influence has no effect on the color, so it would stay orange.

1 minute ago, MissK. said:

Based on people's experiments it seems like influence doesn't overwrite other BSAs. And technically it's also possible to trade hatchlings if the genders are wrong. But provided that influence is indeed not an issue I would say catch the eggs normally, put them up for swaps asap, then proceed as usual. It's definitely a hassle but not impossible.

I don't like that a color is tied to teleport, which many people don't often use, but I'm looking at it this way: Everyone will be in that boat. For people who don't usually *trade*, I'm sure there will be others who don't usually trade looking to just swap eggs to get that color. I'm sure with a little poking around there will be plenty of people looking for simple swaps just to get the color. 

(The only thing I truly dislike about that, is once again it's moving away from DC being a game you can play by yourself, to get orange you *must* include another player in your play, however briefly. I'm becoming vary wary of this slide towards inter-user-dependence...)

19 minutes ago, Amberfly said:

Honestly one of the colors being tied to teleport is dismaying. I rarely trade so getting those ones is going to mean a major alteration in my play style unless I want to abandon my goal of 10 CB of every dragon. I can handle having to influence, precog, and incubate in a certain order, but since teleporting erases influence on eggs and it's the last action performed that determines the color, doesn't this make orange ones effectively unable to be influenced? You'd influence and get whichever color that makes, then teleport to get orange but that erases the influence, and if the person who received it influences it it would no longer hatch orange. If that's how it works, you'd have to precog, hope for the gender you want, then teleport, and if it's not the gender you want you're just out of luck. And that is...not something I like.

To be honest, it's a bit like a tiny reversion to old school. Back when there was no precog, no influence, and you just went with what you got :) I think having been around for that is biasing me a bit as I am not as dismayed as some. 

Edit: - Oh, if Purplehaze is right then you should be fine! You can just teleport and then influence. 

Edited by kerrikins

I like the added BSA mechanics for changing the eggs' color! It makes the Dragcave game of collecting different dragons more interesting. So, I wholeheartedly disagree with everyone who is against these mechanics. 

I think change is good and keeps the game more lively. You can still play the game as a solo user experience. Just don't collect the eggs that require teleport. And don't catch eggs from the AP.

I argue that Dragcave was and is never a single player experience. When you catch eggs in the Cave, it's very much player vs. player.

It is interesting/ Hopefully we all can help each other to get dragons of the desired colors=3 I 'm also not the most active player, but I am confident everything will be alright=3

6 of my eggs will hatch in a few hours. If I got this right, there will be 4 Black/Red - 2 male 2 female, and 2 Blue - 1 male 1female. And the two that hatch tomorrow will be Orange. Interesting.

The hatchlings in trade are all red or blue/white at the moment.

Whose is hatchling early without incubating? I caught mine around 2:30 AM EST and they are at 4 days and 14 hours.

Edited by Long_Before_Sunrise

Also, for those who are despairing, I just saw at least two of the new eggs in the volcano a few minutes ago, so they are still dropping! 

I didn't follow the colour discussion - is it true that BSAs change the eggs or is it speculation?

54 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I don't like that a color is tied to teleport, which many people don't often use, but I'm looking at it this way: Everyone will be in that boat. For people who don't usually *trade*, I'm sure there will be others who don't usually trade looking to just swap eggs to get that color. I'm sure with a little poking around there will be plenty of people looking for simple swaps just to get the color. 

(The only thing I truly dislike about that, is once again it's moving away from DC being a game you can play by yourself, to get orange you *must* include another player in your play, however briefly. I'm becoming vary wary of this slide towards inter-user-dependence...)

As someone who trades a lot but also very much wants the option of playing independently, I do agree with that. I think it'll be possible for practically everyone in the end but am not a fan of the chosen mechanism.

51 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I'm glad there's an in-cave trading system now. Imagine if it was purely forum/discord trading ... or for those of us who were old old old school, having to carefully organize abandon/pick up from the AP in order to trade (anybody still remember doing that?)

Just now, Toyo said:

I'm glad there's an in-cave trading system now. Imagine if it was purely forum/discord trading ... or for those of us who were old old old school, having to carefully organize abandon/pick up from the AP in order to trade (anybody still remember doing that?)

OMG, I remember AP trading... ToT

2 minutes ago, Toyo said:

Oh, man, I just got yanked back in time to 2009 -- temporarily changing my scroll password so someone could catch for me at Valentine's, trying to time perfectly for snagging from the abandoned cave...

At least we have Magi now. I'm scroll-locked and can't hunt more, but I *think* I'm getting the colors I need...? I guess I'll find out in a bit, haha.

Edited by Feathers

11 minutes ago, Kiyoura said:

OMG, I remember AP trading... ToT

Oh, AP trading was awful! Set up a time with your trade partner, toss the egg and hope for the best! Got some of my Silvers that way. Lost more than a few others too. Teleport for the win!

37 minutes ago, Toyo said:

or for those of us who were old old old school, having to carefully organize abandon/pick up from the AP in order to trade (anybody still remember doing that?)

oh yes, definitely remember this. F5'ing like crazy as soon as the person told you they'd dropped it.... wow.

i prefer the Magi teleportation much better!

41 minutes ago, Toyo said:

Oh goodness yes, I remember having to be on a chat with someone else in order to perfectly coordinate dropping to the AP and refreshing the 'get' page. I think this sort of mechanic just wouldn't happen back then, maybe not even before the Hub, I think making trading more streamlined and on-site opened the door for this sort of mechanic to be possible. 

(edit: It's kinda cool to actually realize how many people around here have been playing that long!)

I Precogged one of my 2 cave-eggs, so if everything goes as planned I should have one blue and one pink(default) when they hatch. As long as I remember to Not Incubate!

Edited by HeatherMarie

51 minutes ago, walkinslow said:

I didn't follow the colour discussion - is it true that BSAs change the eggs or is it speculation?

Speculation.

It might be true that Incubation 'burns' the egg and turns them black. The first hatchlings in trade were all red/blacks.

That not-incubating is the hardest part of getting the default eggs, and the orange ones. For precog you can at least incubate first.

I've finally got my head around the new mechanic. :) Seems interesting! But as if Aeons weren't in high demand as it is. XD Who's up for a post-release massbreed? I've got plenty of Aeons, Magis and Reds to contribute.

Outcome | Action required:

Pink = No BSA

Orange = Teleport

Blue = Precog

Red = Incubate

1 hour ago, walkinslow said:

It's pretty confirmed. Only blues and reds are popping in hatcheries, with a couple oranges that are probably from the glitch. Everyone here and in discord have reported incubated-last eggs going red and precogged-last eggs going blue, and I've tested it myself. The speculation is around pinks mostly, current assumption is they're the default since influence has failed to turn things back pink. The pain is that you can't bounce incubate/precog off because then it just goes orange. Have to have an untouched egg.

1 hour ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

The hatchlings in trade are all red or blue/white at the moment.

Whose is hatchling early without incubating? I caught mine around 2:30 AM EST and they are at 4 days and 14 hours.

People earthquaked their eggs which is how we got a heads up on the mechanic. It was a real bad ratio this time though x.x (5 living out of 24 eggs rip) You can incubate for blues, you just have to precog after but before it hatches, depending on your views you may or may not get away with that.

2 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

yeah, tryin' to keep current observations up to date on the wiki: https://dragcave.fandom.com/wiki/Currently_Being_Released

Found this morning that just initializing a trade doesn't seem to cause the color change. Had an egg hatch while in Teleport, and it turned out Incubate red.

602767848_ScreenShot2021-01-26at1_33_20PM.png.f9a06c50e82bb8bcf0b4af651a9c9f47.png

The teleport 100% has to be accepted, a few of us have sat it in teleport while hatching, and it pops the color it would be without the teleport. Accepting the teleport changes where it sorts on the scroll, but putting it in one doesn't anymore. (It did in the first hour, before that behavior was changed)

Edited by Tinibree

11 minutes ago, lovecats99 said:

Who's up for a post-release massbreed?

Oh, no! I am having a hard enough time getting Aeons from my Aeon x Chrono pairs for my lyrical lineage. :( Must I now give up entirely?

For me I think the red/black will be easiest and the default the hardest, because I tend to incubate every egg that hits my scroll. Fortunately I hadn't done that yet with these when the talk started of BSAs affecting color.

I don't dare Earthquake. My connection is too slow and unreliable for speedy grabs for replacements.