TJ09

2021-01-24 - January Dragon Release

I think I get the idea behind it. The eggs are absorbing some of the color from whoever touches their eggs (red for incubated eggs, pink from influenced eggs, etc.) Probably related to the "lures you in" description.

It's clever, but as with the siyats, it's really just too much annoying work to be any fun. If I used these dragons for breeding projects I'd have to keep a literal spreadsheet to make sure I was preparing the eggs right, . The more closely a breeding mechanism resembles irritating scheduling chores I get paid to put up with at work, the less I want to do them for leisure.

Well that's pretty lame. Having to waste Precogs to get a color variant is not cool; those things don't grow on trees.

I guess for oranges the best thing to do is trade for eggs, hatch and wait for genders, then swap if they're not what you needed. Hopefully these things are super common because finding someone to swap misgenders with is not the easiest thing to do for rares, or even some uncommons.

I'll believe DC's unpaid quality assurance team got it right, but meh. Siyats were fun, Xols were a little simpler but still nice, this is treading into the "annoying" waters. I suppose time, seasons, biome, and even fake moon mechanics have all been done... it was only a matter of time before things like teleport became required.

If that's the mechanic, does it apply to eggs only?  Or do hatchlings change on teleport?  That can't be--you could never trade anything but orange.  That's my favorite color, but still--I know most would find that horrible.

Well my two incubated eggs just hatched the black/red.. now I must have patience to wait for the rest! 🤪

I grabbed 4 of the "lures you in" eggs when they dropped, but I'm waiting a bit longer before I use any BSAs on them. With the state of my brain this year, I can barely keep track of the info in this thread 😅 It seems people have a pretty certain method/theory already, but after the past year, I just can't think straight and retain info like I used to, so with such a potentially complex dragon, I'm holding out and not worrying about it for now. Thank you to all those who have the brainpower and curiosity to figure this stuff out and share it in the thread for those of us who are struggling! Seriously, I appreciate it a lot.

12 minutes ago, Silverwatermist said:

I grabbed 4 of the "lures you in" eggs when they dropped, but I'm waiting a bit longer before I use any BSAs on them. With the state of my brain this year, I can barely keep track of the info in this thread 😅 It seems people have a pretty certain method/theory already, but after the past year, I just can't think straight and retain info like I used to, so with such a potentially complex dragon, I'm holding out and not worrying about it for now. Thank you to all those who have the brainpower and curiosity to figure this stuff out and share it in the thread for those of us who are struggling! Seriously, I appreciate it a lot.

I feel the exact same way honestly at this point XD 

20 minutes ago, random_dragon_collector said:

If that's the mechanic, does it apply to eggs only?  Or do hatchlings change on teleport?  That can't be--you could never trade anything but orange.  That's my favorite color, but still--I know most would find that horrible.

Eggs only. Hatchlings don't change. So orange instead is the hardest to get, being unable to incubate, influence or precog as eggs.

Edit: alternatively, pink is hardest by having zero reset button and being forced to wait 3 days, if it isn't influence.

Edited by Shadowdrake

11 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

Eggs only. Hatchlings don't change. So orange instead is the hardest to get, being unable to incubate, influence or precog as eggs.

Edit: alternatively, pink is hardest by having zero reset button and being forced to wait 3 days, if it isn't influence.

Although if pink isn't influence wouldn't that mean you could still influence traded eggs and they'd still hatch orange?

14 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

I'm hopeful that it really is controlled by the last BSA used, and that there'll be enough people using precog and then trading them that orange won't be so hard to collect. Very curious to see if incubating THEN influencing cancels results in a pink or red hatchie. (Hopefully pink, my incubate fingers are so itchy already! 3 days feels so long, ha.)

Edited by alyelle
typos

Just now, Chaos Rider said:

Although if pink isn't influence wouldn't that mean you could still influence traded eggs and they'd still hatch orange?

Yeah, so depends on how things turn out. Atm pinks seem very sparse in hatcheries, so it may actually be default and we have 2 types that take forever to get instead of just 1.

Anyone want to try a little experiment. I bounce two eggs of someone and when they're teleported back to me I influence one and leave the other untouched?

1 minute ago, Chaos Rider said:

Anyone want to try a little experiment. I bounce two eggs of someone and when they're teleported back to me I influence one and leave the other untouched?

Sure, I have two slots free - want to DM me? :)

23 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

Well, is there any reason we couldn't incubate, influence or precog the egg, then put it into a teleport, then just leave it in the teleport till it hatches instead of actually sending it to anyone? The orange dragon will still have been the last to touch it at that point, no? The other BSA's don't wear off unless the egg actually leaves your scroll.

This all would be so much less hassle if the color of the egg visibly changed so that we'd be able to actually manage these eggs on our scrolls, but that would have given away the Big Secret a day early, so we'll just have to grin and bear it--and look for workarounds where we can find them.

Edited by tjekan

Honestly these dragons look really cute so far but I am not going to spend the time and effort it takes to get more than a pair of each color given the combo invisible-BSA determination. What a pain...

2 minutes ago, tjekan said:

Well, is there any reason we couldn't incubate, influence or precog the egg, then put it into a teleport, then just leave it in the teleport till it hatches instead of actually sending it to anyone? The orange dragon will still have been the last to touch it at that point, no? The other BSA's don't wear off unless the egg actually leaves your scroll.

This all would be so much less hassle if the color of the egg visibly changed so that we'd be able to actually manage these eggs on our scrolls, but that would have given away the Big Secret a day early, so we'll just have to grin and bear it.

Because it doesn't become orange until after it gets teleported, at which point all other bsas wear off. This could change, but since TJ has already changed it once from the original that was like your suggested idea, I don't see it happening. 

2 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

Because it doesn't become orange until after it gets teleported, at which point all other bsas wear off. This could change, but since TJ has already changed it once from the original that was like your suggested idea, I don't see it happening. 

That's... pretty weird. Is it just to force the orange variant to be harder to acquire, then? If so, I'm feeling pretty meh about that. You go to all the trouble of putting in useful quality-of-life improvements like Influence to reduce the frustration of random misgendering, and then you introduce a breed you can't use it on just to make things harder again. Not necessarily the best thought through.

2 hours ago, tjekan said:

It's clever, but as with the siyats, it's really just too much annoying work to be any fun.

The thing I like about the Siyats is how forgiving they are. Even if you incubate you can still get blue and purple, just have to wait it out. I can definitely see how the mechanic for purple is undesirable for those who need space ASAP and don't want to hold eggs for longer than needed, but for me it feels a lot more relaxed and intuitive. I can always look at the time remaining on the egg/catch date and see what I'm going to get, even for trading.

It's of course subjective since I am the kind who will grab eggs then not log in for days, so purples and blues are simple for me, but I gotta say Siyats do the BSA thing better.

Actually let's give "best BSA mechanic" crown to the Xol, since the generous fellows change egg color when incubated.

Edited by Nine

18 minutes ago, tjekan said:

That's... pretty weird. Is it just to force the orange variant to be harder to acquire, then? If so, I'm feeling pretty meh about that. You go to all the trouble of putting in useful quality-of-life improvements like Influence to reduce the frustration of random misgendering, and then you introduce a breed you can't use it on just to make things harder again. Not necessarily the best thought through.

Well. For what it's worth, it looks like you can use Influence freely, regardless of color, since pink is no-incubate, no-trade, no-precog instead.

19 minutes ago, Nine said:

Actually let's give "best BSA mechanic" crown to the Xol, since the generous fellows change egg color when incubated.

I agree, from a game design perspective, it's much better to make changes like that visible. You have to assume many users aren't willing to put the time and energy into getting complicated real-time scheduling chores right, especially when they'd have to find the details on a fan site. Giving them visual cues is a much better mechanic.

The Siyats aren't too bad, the problem is I am usually raising a batch of several eggs at once and I forget there is one I am not supposed to incubate, then I have to get someone to trade it back and forth with me and try again--if I remember to. Still, at least if I do remember, I can do that much. It sounds like the ability to use influence or incubate on the teleported ones was deliberately removed so I guess the inconvenience factor is intentional.

Oh well, not every dragon is for breeding projects. I can't breed papers either and I still like those. I'll just mentally class these guys as non-breedables too. 🙂

Edited by tjekan

26 minutes ago, tjekan said:

it makes it possible to trade other colors. When they turned instantly when put in a teleport it meant only oranges could be passed around. atm influence doesn't seem to change colors so its safe to use on oranges. Its just no incubate/precog.

Anyway!!! the hybrid has a unique description now!

42 minutes ago, alyelle said:

I'm hopeful that it really is controlled by the last BSA used, and that there'll be enough people using precog and then trading them that orange won't be so hard to collect. Very curious to see if incubating THEN influencing cancels results in a pink or red hatchie. (Hopefully pink, my incubate fingers are so itchy already! 3 days feels so long, ha.)

We have at least one person that did it in that order and got reds. Sounds like pink has no color effect, for better or worse. Makes oranges nicer.

36 minutes ago, tjekan said:

Been tested by myself and someone else, popped out red/blue (i precogged they didn't). Would've been a nice trick though.

Edited by Tinibree

1 minute ago, Tinibree said:

it makes it possible to trade other colors. When they turned instantly when put in a teleport it meant only oranges could be passed around. atm influence doesn't seem to change colors so its safe to use on oranges. Its just no incubate/precog.

That's good news, at least. The specs on these eggs seem to be in heavy flux right now, who knows how they will settle up.

I don't see how that would have meant only oranges could be passed around, though. All you'd need to do would be accept an "orange" egg in a trade and incubate or precog it yourself and it would then be one of the other colors. If you want it to stay orange you'd leave it alone. Right?

3 minutes ago, tjekan said:

That's good news, at least. The specs on these eggs seem to be in heavy flux right now, who knows how they will settle up.

I don't see how that would have meant only oranges could be passed around, though. All you'd need to do would be accept an "orange" egg in a trade and incubate or precog it yourself and it would then be one of the other colors. If you want it to stay orange you'd leave it alone. Right?

I meant with hatchies, since at the time it was hatchies instantly changing color which would've been....terrible for trading. But you're right about it not mattering so much with eggs. Part of my brain still thinks the hatchies change color lol, been a long day.

Edited by Tinibree

7 minutes ago, Tinibree said:

We have at least one person that did it in that order and got reds. Sounds like pink has no color effect, for better or worse. Makes oranges nicer.

Ahh, well! Looks like I'll be practicing my patience a bit :P

It's really interesting to look at the hatcheries right now, of course the most common new-hatchie color is black/red since most people will have Incubated, but there are definitely a good handful of the other colors as well. I'm curious how many of those are actually users *not* on the forum/discord/etc and are getting surprised by their hatchie's colors.

I've finally managed to get four of them. I've influenced, precog'd and incubated, so this newest one's gonna be a teleport baby once I've had it long enough to do so.