Keileon

Egg Freezing - The Simple Solution

2 hours ago, Cryinglightning505 said:

No thanks, I don't want to see my dragons "view children" list filled with eggs. It's bad enough seeing frozen hatchlings in there. 

No support unless we get the option to "disown" frozen eggs/hatchlings. 

That is a concern for some that I can understand.

Though what of a compromise then that only CB eggs can be frozen?

Or also make it so that people could buy Frozen Eggs from the Market?

Before anyone says it, I'm NOT saying making Frozen Eggs a market exclusive thing. I'm saying (if frozen eggs are added) give players the option of buying either a regular egg at market price OR a frozen egg (at maybe a reduced cost [ex. If its 600 for a Red, a Frozen Red Egg would be 300]) - again, this does NOT stop players from catching wild eggs to freeze

1 hour ago, Paradisiske said:

@Fuzzbucket

Then don't breed and abandon. Once an egg leaves your scroll then that's it. People can bite it, nd it, freeze it or zombie it or name it "stupid ugly messy loser"

Egg freezing should happen. What people choose to freeze is out of your control.

So - no breeding celestials, or holidays.... No accidental abandons... I am fine with people freezing what i breed. Or killing it, biting it, zombifying it come to that. I just don't want to see a shedload of eggs in my progeny list. Two quite separate issues. And I suspect TJ would be quite capable of coding it so that that need not happen.

1 hour ago, Paradisiske said:

Then don't breed and abandon. Once an egg leaves your scroll then that's it. People can bite it, nd it, freeze it or zombie it or name it "stupid ugly messy loser"

Egg freezing should happen. What people choose to freeze is out of your control.

This, honestly. A suggestion should not be dismissed simply because someone *else* wants to use it on *their* eggs. If you don't want them showing in your dragon's progeny, the very simple answer to that is not to abandon them. You abandon, you have no say anymore.  Also have to agree with purplehaze's point that things like Vamps, frozens, etc already show in progeny, so it's not exactly unprecedented.  (Though I wouldn't mind if frozen eggs disappeared from progeny lists, the same way dead eggs do. That would be a nice compromise I thnk.)

47 minutes ago, ShorahNagi said:

That is a concern for some that I can understand.

Though what of a compromise then that only CB eggs can be frozen?

Or also make it so that people could buy Frozen Eggs from the Market?

Before anyone says it, I'm NOT saying making Frozen Eggs a market exclusive thing. I'm saying (if frozen eggs are added) give players the option of buying either a regular egg at market price OR a frozen egg (at maybe a reduced cost [ex. If its 600 for a Red, a Frozen Red Egg would be 300]) - again, this does NOT stop players from catching wild eggs to freeze

That would *not* be a good compromise. That would mean we could never freeze any hybrid eggs. Excluding a whole batch of eggs from the mechanic isn't exactly a great idea. (Also, I don't know about everyone else, but I would *much* rather freeze a messy Gold egg than freeze a long-coveted CB Gold!!)

41 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

(Also, I don't know about everyone else, but I would *much* rather freeze a messy Gold egg than freeze a long-coveted CB Gold!!)

Agree 100% on that!

41 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

That would *not* be a good compromise. That would mean we could never freeze any hybrid eggs. Excluding a whole batch of eggs from the mechanic isn't exactly a great idea.

You make a very good point here, too.

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

That would *not* be a good compromise. That would mean we could never freeze any hybrid eggs. Excluding a whole batch of eggs from the mechanic isn't exactly a great idea. (Also, I don't know about everyone else, but I would *much* rather freeze a messy Gold egg than freeze a long-coveted CB Gold!!)

I will admit, I forgot Hybrid dragons were a thing when I suggested CB only freezing XD

See? Proof we have too many dragons that players forget about some of them.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

So - no breeding celestials, or holidays.... No accidental abandons... I am fine with people freezing what i breed. Or killing it, biting it, zombifying it come to that. I just don't want to see a shedload of eggs in my progeny list. Two quite separate issues. And I suspect TJ would be quite capable of coding it so that that need not happen.

Yes dont breed celestials and holidays then.

I have no idea what tj is or isn't capable of coding.

But as we know we can already see the vamps,the frozen hatchies, the zombies, the neglecteds, the dead, and the names in progeny list.

It makes absolutely NO sense to just suddenly make an exception for frozen eggs to not show up.

Yeah honestly... if you can't handle someone freezing your dragons' bebs whether egg or hatchie that is kind of a you problem.  I also kind of fail to see the difference between seeing a frozen hatchie and seeing a frozen egg.  I'm personally not a HUGE fan of seeing freezies in progeny, but honestly what can ya do; as others said once it's off your scroll you have 0 claim to it and it's just sth we gotta live with.

1 hour ago, ShorahNagi said:

I will admit, I forgot Hybrid dragons were a thing when I suggested CB only freezing XD

See? Proof we have too many dragons that players forget about some of them.

I'm totally guilty of that myself, sometimes I'm surprised by seeing a breed I'd totally forgotten even existed!

6 minutes ago, Falorni said:

Yeah honestly... if you can't handle someone freezing your dragons' bebs whether egg or hatchie that is kind of a you problem. 

While I do agree with this, I also think simply treating frozen eggs as 'dead eggs' in progeny would be alright. (Also, in my experience *fogged* eggs also don't show up in progeny, so 'eggs not showing in progeny' is definitely already a thing under certain circumstances.)

Just now, HeatherMarie said:

While I do agree with this, I also think simply treating frozen eggs as 'dead eggs' in progeny would be alright. (Also, in my experience *fogged* eggs also don't show up in progeny, so 'eggs not showing in progeny' is definitely already a thing under certain circumstances.)

Oh yeah no I'd personally prefer that!  But even if that wouldn't happen I'd still rather just suck it up in the name of egg freezing lol

I'd support treating frozen eggs as dead because it would remove them from the ratios. It would be horribly abusable if people could just mass breed a common, then use freeze slots to instantly add that common to the ratios. It's just different than waiting 2-3 days to freeze the hatchling.

25 minutes ago, Charu said:

I'd support treating frozen eggs as dead because it would remove them from the ratios. It would be horribly abusable if people could just mass breed a common, then use freeze slots to instantly add that common to the ratios. It's just different than waiting 2-3 days to freeze the hatchling.

Freeze slots really do not count that much to put a noticeable dent in the ratios of a common.

Rares you could make that argument for but iirc tj does not support at all treating commons and rares differently.

The only way egg-freezing would actually affect ratios in any noticeable way would be if we had no freeze limits at all. Freezing a small handful of eggs every 2 weeks isn't going to make any real impact on overall ratios, especially since those eggs being spawned/bred in the first place would still be governed by the ratios. I have no statistics on frozen hatchlings but I doubt freezing hatchlings has ever truly affected ratios, this would be no different.  (Also, again, I don't get how it would be 'abusable' to mass-breed a common and then freeze the eggs, it makes no difference to ratios if they are eggs or hatchies or adults and if they are *able* to be bred en-masse that's *because* of ratios...)

I think you two are both underestimating the ratios. It has been shown that 1 person can influence ratios long term, let alone if there was a forum campaign to say mass breed, then mass freeze a common.

Yes, long-term breeding literally thousands of eggs, but I think you are overestimating how many people are likely to mass-freeze one specific breed. Especially because freeze slots are pretty limited, even if there was a 'campaign' to mass-freeze it would take literally hundreds of people using all their slots for months on end to even come close to the same effect mass-breeding can have. I honestly just don't see that being an actual issue. I'm not necessarily against frozen eggs not counting towards ratios, especially if they essentially act like 'dead eggs', but I really don't think ratios would be a serious issue regardless.

edit: (To be honest, I don't necessarily see 'frozen eggs affecting ratios' as a bad thing... Mass-breeding to affect ratios is done out of frustration to *try* to affect ratios of super-duper commons, mass-freezing to do the exact same thing isn't really any different than mass-breeding, and it's not 'abusable' to mass-breed that way so...)

Edited by HeatherMarie

Collective ratio-fixing has already been long tried with the many dragon-raising threads, and despite people collecting for up to a year for some breeds, the effect has never been very drastic. With the freeze limit, the only difference between freezing eggs immediately and freezing hatchies as soon as you get a freeze slot back is that you can start slightly earlier; it'll still be 2 weeks per 18 freezes. The person who singlehandedly shifted ratios had the wherewithal to collect literally over a thousand adults of a single breed and dropped the eggs into AP where others would pick them up rather than raising 18 or 24 at a time themselves, and even then the breed is just pretty common instead of very common.

Frankly, most of the common breeding ratios are so awful anyway that if someone wants to fix them singlehandedly with egg freezing, I'd wish them good luck.

16 hours ago, Paradisiske said:

@Fuzzbucket

Then don't use one of the only mechanics this game has to offer? What's the point of playing the game then? Accidental abandons happen and I also like breeding and abandoning good lineages for people. 

The point of the game is to hatch, raise and breed dragons. Freezing eggs goes against all 3 of those points. At least zombie, ND and freezies are living (or semi-living) things and you at least hatched them. Eggs in the progeny list are a sign that something failed to hatch, they're a sign of failure and I don't want to see them there. 

I don't HAVE to support this suggestion and I don't. Hence why I commented, I'm allowed to not like a suggestion. Egg freezing should not happen.

Edited by Cryinglightning505
Typos

I don't care if it happens or not - but if it does I'd like to see frozen eggs effectively becoming like treats and Easter eggs (though I gather people want them to appear on their scrolls...) - "not real" as creatures, and not on the progeny list,. And I would in any case like to be able to carry on my many holiday lines without having to look at a load of eggs in my progeny pages. And to be able to breed my Celestials when people ASK me for a breeding.

And as a passing thought - there's no "should" here. Just because a group of players want something doesn't make it a "should". I want all sorts of things - mass fogging, hide all growing things, breeding filters.... That doesn't mean those things SHOULD happen - even though there is a lot of support for all three - and as far as I know in those three cases, no-one has spoken against..

Edited by Fuzzbucket

13 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I don't care if it happens or not - but if it does I'd like to see frozen eggs effectively becoming like treats and Easter eggs (though I gather people want them to appear on their scrolls...) - "not real" as creatures, and not on the progeny list,. And I would in any case like to be able to carry on my many holiday lines without having to look at a load of eggs in my progeny pages. And to be able to breed my Celestials when people ASK me for a breeding.

And as a passing thought - there's no "should" here. Just because a group of players want something doesn't make it a "should". I want all sorts of things - mass fogging, hide all growing things, breeding filters.... That doesn't mean those things SHOULD happen - even though there is a lot of support for all three - and as far as I know in those three cases, no-one has spoken against..

Having them be a badge like Easter eggs would be a good idea. Like a reward for unlocking the encyclopedia entry, you get the egg as a badge. This would prevent you from having to freeze each egg 5 times because of the 5 cracks, instead you just get a simple stage 1 egg. 

And yes I agree there is no "should". Only TJ can decide what should and should not happen. ~~removed. We do not call each other names here. If you are having problems with another player's posts - whether for rudeness or anything else - use the report function on the post(s) in question to report it to moderators. ~~

Edited by Infinis

31 minutes ago, Cryinglightning505 said:

Then don't use one of the only mechanics this game has to offer? What's the point of playing the game then? Accidental abandons happen and I also like breeding and abandoning good lineages for people. 

The point of the game is to hatch, raise and breed dragons. Freezing eggs goes against all 3 of those points. At least zombie, ND and freezies are living (or semi-living) things and you at least hatched them. Eggs in the progeny list are a sign that something failed to hatch, they're a sign of failure and I don't want to see them there. 

I don't HAVE to support this suggestion and I don't. Hence why I commented, I'm allowed to not like a suggestion. Egg freezing should not happen.

Again I sympathize - I don't particularly enjoy seeing freezies in my progeny either!  Makes me feel like someone thought my lineage wasn't good/cool/interesting enough to bother with.

HOWEVER

It's a fact that once the egg is off your scroll you have no claim to it and honestly trying to pick and choose what you want to see in your progeny is... silly, to say the least.  You're absolutely free to not like the suggestion in question, but getting fussed about someone else using your derg bebes for freezies is, in the end, pointless.

I also wanna point out OP has several times said they don't want discussion of "alternate" mechanics here and that this thread is strictly about just extending the pre existing freeze function to eggs.

5 minutes ago, Falorni said:

getting fussed about someone else using your derg bebes for freezies is, in the end, pointless.

Getting "fussed" over frozen hatchies/NDs/vamps is pointless because they're already in the game. Getting "fussed" over frozen eggs is not pointless because they're not implemented yet. 

7 minutes ago, Cryinglightning505 said:

Getting "fussed" over frozen hatchies/NDs/vamps is pointless because they're already in the game. Getting "fussed" over frozen eggs is not pointless because they're not implemented yet. 

Which is why I said you're perfectly within your rights to dislike the suggestion!

Also this is mostly just general musings but imo, easiest way to avoid freezies in the progeny is just... don't AP eggs from pairs where it especially matters.  I have a personal lineage I pretty much only breed on request because I know people freezing from them would upset me even if I know it's none of my business at that point

Edited by Falorni

6 minutes ago, Falorni said:

Which is why I said you're perfectly within your rights to dislike the suggestion!

"You're absolutely free to not like the suggestion in question, but getting fussed about someone else using your derg bebes for freezies is, in the end, pointless."

You said I'm within my rights *but*, which implies that getting "fussed" is outside of my rights because it's pointless. 

8 minutes ago, Cryinglightning505 said:

"You're absolutely free to not like the suggestion in question, but getting fussed about someone else using your derg bebes for freezies is, in the end, pointless."

You said I'm within my rights *but*, which implies that getting "fussed" is outside of my rights because it's pointless. 

Then I do apologize if it came off the wrong way, not a native eng speaker so... you know.  As long as stuff is understandable that's good enough for me (and it usually is as long as people don't nitpick thankfully)

Edited by Falorni

I'm still not sure about egg freezing, but if adopted, I would want the eggs to remain in my dragon's prodigy list. They're still family and I would want to know how they turned out, even if they're forever frozen in time. ❤

BTW, when I first started playing, I swore that I would never freeze a hatchling. Current count is 414. So much for never! XD

3 hours ago, Cryinglightning505 said:

So you get to play the game the way that you want to and inhibit others from doing the same - you get to breed and abandon them because this is what you wish but the people who pick them up have to abide by your preferences? That's not how this works lol. You don't like what people do to your offspring, then don't put them in places that other people can obtain them to do said things. Off your scroll, no longer your say. Plain and simple. 

This is a collection game. It's a totally fair and reasonable request to be able to freeze eggs. We can obtain every other dragon sprite in the game regardless of stage. Otherwise by your logic freezing hatchlings (or even unbreedables) wouldn't be a thing if the entire point was raising and breeding, "living" or not.

I am not a fan of Easter egg basket suggestion. Just let me collect them alongside my other dragons and freezies.

Edited by schenanigans