Keileon

Egg Freezing - The Simple Solution

*aggressively points at the post before this one*

Also throwing in my further support for keeping frozen eggs at the cracking stage at which they were frozen.

Also throwing my support for this. This would also make it easier to help people find eggs for the encyclopedia, given how rare some eggs may be, and finally unlock them in the market as well. Heck, we could have collections of eggs!

I second the collection of eggs.

I'm already thinking of the groups I'd make with them, as well as adding the eggs to my existing groups too. Heck, I'd love to have a group of the prettiest eggs, and another group of the coolest hatching sequences. That way I could visit them whenever I wanted. :D

And the source for making plenty of frozen eggs seems obvious to me, even for very rare eggs (excepting the GoN). Just make a bunch of messy lineaged eggs and just freeze the eggs themselves, don't even have to wait for it to hatch, like many people already do with using those to make frozen hatchies as it is. (Unless of course, we can freeze egg-cracking stages, and therefore you'd need to try to get it to start cracking in the first place...)

I was also looking at the leetle tree. I mean, we already have a template for a "frozen egg" that is also nameable. I should think that like the leetle tree, it is impossible to use "release" because... how could they end up in the wild at all? I wouldn't think that would work at all, to begin with. 

The "kill" action could be "smash" instead. Just on the off-chance someone for some baffling, mysterious reason doesn't want to keep the egg around. However, I doubt there'd be any way to get a zombie or neglected out of that. Just make it impossible to make zombies and neglected from trying to kill frozen eggs and be done with it. For the zombies and neglecteds, it'd be best to use the living hatchies and adults, as well as a living egg - respectively.

I don't know if TJ09 would want to have a success/fail rate with killing the frozen eggs like there is for hatchies and adults. It might be simpler to leave that mechanic in, but it'd be hard to imagine an egg "dodging the blade." Maybe "you tripped and failed to hit the egg"? 

Kill on regular eggs doesn't have a fail either, and you can't make zombies out of eggs and you can't make neglecteds out of frozens, so I don't think there's any concern regarding that. I *would* like some sort of non-kill method to get rid of eggs so I don't have to waste precious kill slots if I change my mind, but I don't care whether they get released to be wild eggs or "discarded" into nonexistence.

6 hours ago, High Lord November said:

Friendly reminder that releasing Egg Freezing now would give us a fabulous activity to do with the current worldwide quarantine!

4 hours ago, OMGitsKairi said:

*aggressively points at the post before this one*

*huge frantic waving around these two posts!* 

I've wanted to freeze eggs basically since I started playing. It wasn't a huge deal either way when there were only a couple dozen dragons/egg-types, but we now have well over 200 different dragon breeds (and that's not even counting egg variants like Spinels/Ridgewings/etc).There are so many beautiful eggs in this game, some very pretty color combinations and some amazing patterns/details. Although I have my preferences regarding 'how', I'd be super happy to get any sort of egg-freezing possible. 

2 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

Kill on regular eggs doesn't have a fail either, and you can't make zombies out of eggs and you can't make neglecteds out of frozens, so I don't think there's any concern regarding that. I *would* like some sort of non-kill method to get rid of eggs so I don't have to waste precious kill slots if I change my mind, but I don't care whether they get released to be wild eggs or "discarded" into nonexistence.

Ah I've never used the kill option on regular eggs so I didn't know that. 

Perhaps a "smash" option for frozen ones that doesn't take up a kill slot? Keep the kill option like on regular eggs and that does take up a kill slot? Or just use a "discard" that doesn't take up a kill slot?

All good options. In any case, it's not to dither over particulars here. More to show how easy and simple it'd be to implement this. 

I mean, as long as TJ09 approves, that is. 

I certainly think there should be a limit on whatever, just as there is with freeze and kill. And not a hugely high limit - I can see people clearing a wall by freezing a shedload.

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I certainly think there should be a limit on whatever, just as there is with freeze and kill. And not a hugely high limit - I can see people clearing a wall by freezing a shedload.

Maybe a cooldown, even for AP eggs. So you'd be limited by your egg limits. Egg from any source would have to be on your scroll for 5 hours (or whatever limit TJ decides) before it can be frozen.

Edited by purplehaze

Yes - I would support that. I'd also be fine with it simply coming under the current freeze limit.

I'm fine with whatever limits/mechanic is used, I just want to keep the pretty eggs forever. I don't care how. XD

I was about to say - there are lots of different ways it can be implemented while still being balanced. That's up to TJ and the team to decide. I don't care too much how it's implemented. As long as there's a reasonable limit to allow for collection, discussion on how it's implemented isn't that important! We can get bogged down in the details a lot when they don't really change the end product.

Edited by High Lord November

I would love to be able to freeze some of these beautiful eggs and have them forever.  Implementation is not that important to me either, just as long as I can freeze eggs.

Do we need a poll to help tally how many people really want this to happen even if they don't have time to write a comment on the thread or don't want to literally say what someone else has said many times?

Would that help push this concept towards being implemented? What's the next step here??

I support this idea fully. I'm not really sure where it goes from here, but I hope TJ sees this and considers it.

12 hours ago, Indigo_Dragon said:

Do we need a poll to help tally how many people really want this to happen even if they don't have time to write a comment on the thread or don't want to literally say what someone else has said many times?

Would that help push this concept towards being implemented? What's the next step here??

Sadly polls are kind of useless. Between how small a percentage of players would even participate and the fact that you cant ever change your vote even if you change your mind. 

On the other hand, I'm a 10+ years member and this has been asked for continuously for that entire time. I'm not sure what could possibly be done to make this happen that hasn't already been suggested. And believe me, we've thrown a heck of a lot of variation suggestions around. Pretty sure I've voiced support on all of them too. :(

On 3/29/2020 at 5:30 AM, Indigo_Dragon said:

IThe "kill" action could be "smash" instead. Just on the off-chance someone for some baffling, mysterious reason doesn't want to keep the egg around. However, I doubt there'd be any way to get a zombie or neglected out of that. Just make it impossible to make zombies and neglected from trying to kill frozen eggs and be done with it. For the zombies and neglecteds, it'd be best to use the living hatchies and adults, as well as a living egg - respectively.

I don't know if TJ09 would want to have a success/fail rate with killing the frozen eggs like there is for hatchies and adults. It might be simpler to leave that mechanic in, but it'd be hard to imagine an egg "dodging the blade." Maybe "you tripped and failed to hit the egg"? 

I actualy love the idea of collecting undead embryos(even if they all had 1 shared sprite: head-torso-tail, stage before the dragon forms limbs) OvO *grabby hands*

(they could be loosely based on a Botchling https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Botchling just milder and DC-matching)

(Damn it's just too cool to not happen once it's said aloud;-; )

@TJ09 Is egg freezing totally out of the question (will never happen), or is it still possible/just hasn't happened yet? Just ask because of how long the idea's been floating around.

Zombies do not have eggs so that is a non-issue.

Neglected do, but if someone wants to do all the work to get a living egg only to freeze it, that is their choice. It's not like you can undo a freeze, so it would remain an egg same as every other species.

4 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

Zombies do not have eggs so that is a non-issue.

Neglected do, but if someone wants to do all the work to get a living egg only to freeze it, that is their choice. It's not like you can undo a freeze, so it would remain an egg same as every other species.

Exactly what I was thinking. And I don't think killing an egg, even a frozen egg, would result in a "zombie" egg to begin with imho. 

Also, the neglecteds change so fast before they hatch, so it would be a feat of timing, skill, and sheer dumb luck to catch that in time to freeze it before it hatched completely. As far as I understand though, I don't have any personal experience with trying for neglecteds. It seems to require a lot of math, dedication, and careful watching that I'm not able to do myself. x"D

Yeup. Not like you can undo a freeze, so there's no worries about that. I just don't think you could release a frozen egg though. Only kill/smash it really. 

Edited by Indigo_Dragon

On 4/2/2020 at 3:17 PM, Indigo_Dragon said:

Also, the neglecteds change so fast before they hatch, so it would be a feat of timing, skill, and sheer dumb luck to catch that in time to freeze it before it hatched completely. As far as I understand though, I don't have any personal experience with trying for neglecteds. It seems to require a lot of math, dedication, and careful watching that I'm not able to do myself. x"D

Properly making an ND usually results in you having a day's worth of buffer time before it dies, and they rarely hatch immediately. Shouldn't be too hard to get an ND egg to freeze if you've made an ND!

11 hours ago, Keileon said:

Properly making an ND usually results in you having a day's worth of buffer time before it dies, and they rarely hatch immediately. Shouldn't be too hard to get an ND egg to freeze if you've made an ND!

Oh, since I've never tried - as I've said before - I didn't know that interesting tidbit. Thank you! :3 

So apparently one could also freeze a neglected egg sprite as well. That'd be helpful for those who are trying to complete their encyclopedia to see someone else's frozen egg sprite. O.o

I support this, and I agree with keeping what stage of cracking open the egg is in. I also agree that we don't need to worry about the GoN concept at this stage, let's just get freezing for eggs in general first.

However, contrary to the simplicity I prefer in at least getting the feature before working out harder details, here is another thing to ponder: what about the scroll limit of newly released holiday dragons? Should an egg count towards the scroll count of cb holidays? I think it should count, as another user said life is full of choices and that's a decision for each user to make. Anyone have a different take on this?