SullenCat

Raffle or no raffle?

So, you agree that "people here aren't deserving"? Really? Based on what? In my opinion, the majority of users ARE deserving. They work hard on their scrolls, they share their lines. I'll never, ever, agree with belittling them.

Huh? Well, here, you're putting words into my mouth. I merely said I felt that they (Hellen, Starscream, other mods, etc) have every right to voice their concerns and opinions, and then went on to add that I agree with a lot of the people posting - not just Hellen or Starscream, as they are not the only ones posting...

As for "deserving"... This word is being latched on to, and I don't think that was Starscream's original intention (pardon me if I am wrong, of course). We all work hard on our scrolls, we all share our lines, etc. That is the point of the game. Should we be rewarded simply by playing the game? I feel like that, in itself, is the reward - we collect the dragons we want, we breed them, we all have our own personal goals & lineages. Do we DESERVE a raffle? I don't feel like a raffle is something that you honestly work for or try to earn.... so no. Are they deserving of the Prize dragons? Oh, sure, why not. But I'm saying we should have another means of distribution for dragons such as these. Raffles cause drama, raffles are exclusive, you will always have sore losers and nasty winners. That is human nature, unfortunately. I just feel that it would be better to remove the source of the nastiness.

Edited by Areous

A note about "dedicated" users. I've been apart of many MMOs etc where there was some big end game prize that a person that was well respected and very helpful rallied people to work towards. And got, with full blessings. Then about 1-4 weeks later quit. Their goal was done. They had no reason to continue. It's a very common thing that I've seen happen and I'm not sure it's predictable. But point being, I wouldn't try to guess that any one person would keep playing after acquiring a prize.

i'm hoping

but it would be nice if TJ would just say "Yes we will have one" or "No we will not"

it would be nice if he just communicated with us

It's the 22nd of February, and TJ still hasn't said one word about the future (or lack thereof, as the case may be) of the yearly raffle. Is it really so much to ask for 15 seconds, for him to post a couple of sentences about his intentions and plans? =\

Yes, I think. He is working on the new page, for one thing; he has never ever said there would be a "yearly raffle", and so - well, let's just PLAY, OK ?

It's the 22nd of February, and TJ still hasn't said one word about the future (or lack thereof, as the case may be) of the yearly raffle. Is it really so much to ask for 15 seconds, for him to post a couple of sentences about his intentions and plans? =\

For what it's worth, I've noticed a few things over the past few months that lead me to believe the bossman is extremely busy. Regardless of what he eventually decides as far as raffle plans or lack thereof, there will undoubtedly be dozens of pages of discussion and arguing; I don't think he'll get away with a 15-second post. He may not have the time or energy for such a discussion right now.

It's also worth noting that we've just come from Christmas and Valentine events, which have undoubtedly consumed a ton of time and resources from TJ and the entire DC team. Letting them have some time to rest is more than reasonable imo.

As I've mentioned before, my personal crackpot theory is that he plans to introduce a store sometime this year. The lack of mention of a raffle would make sense in this context, I think. Either way, let's give TJ some room to breathe. We don't exactly need to know whether there will be a raffle unless/until it's time for one.

As I've mentioned before, my personal crackpot theory is that he plans to introduce a store sometime this year. The lack of mention of a raffle would make sense in this context, I think. Either way, let's give TJ some room to breathe. We don't exactly need to know whether there will be a raffle unless/until it's time for one.

Yes - especially about the store.

In fact come to think - it wouldn't surprise me if - now that he is so busy and also has a "proper job" I believe - he was actually working on setting up the store simply because raffles will be one less headache to set up and organise and he would love never to have to do another. And as I would love him never to DO another, this would make me Very Happy !

Edited by fuzzbucket

I'm still new here compared to a lot of you guys but, I've read most of this thread and even if I've never experienced this "Raffle Madness", it does sound like something that needs to be altered.

I like that whole Store idea - it keeps DC a free website, which is the main factor that people enjoy about it, and it'll keep people coming back and give them a goal to achieve. Plus, no more complaints about not having CB prizes, since they would have an opportunity to get some.

But, again, just my humble opinion formed from everything I've read on here. I don't know the true trials of Raffles since I was never around for one. ^^

Edited by Holocast

I'm still new here compared to a lot of you guys but, I've read most of this thread and even if I've never experienced this "Raffle Madness", it does sound like something that needs to be altered.

I like that whole Store idea - it keeps DC a free website, which is the main factor that people enjoy about it, and it'll keep people coming back and give them a goal to achieve. Plus, no more complaints about not having CB prizes, since they would have an opportunity to get some.

But, again, just my humble opinion formed from everything I've read on here. I don't know the true trials of Raffles since I was never around for one. ^^

A new POV which makes excellent points. Though you do realise that the store does not involve any money of any kind ? It wouldn't affect the "free-ness" of the site.

A new POV which makes excellent points. Though you do realise that the store does not involve any money of any kind ? It wouldn't affect the "free-ness" of the site.

...I think that's their point? unsure.gif

Oh yeah I know ^^ 'tis what I meant by it keeping DC free. I read that nifty link a few pages back about it.

It works for people who have busy schedules, and it works for people who have a lot of time on their hands. It's just an overall great idea that I definitely support over raffles. That way, less drama for the Mods to deal with, less people who get upset about not getting prizes, and an overall happier community.

Edited by Holocast

Great - just some people always think MONEY when the store is mentioned, as in well it doesn't HURT anyone of those of us with no time can BUY stuff with CASH - but yes, it does !

If we had a store I could get all the CB Bronze Shimmers I need (and so could everyone else, no more whinging! YAY!) and breed a PB EG 4G Bronze Shimmer. wub.gif

I have been dreaming of being able to do this since I got Sansa.

Plus I'll be able to do this with all the other prizes as well! My favourites are Silver Tinsels. (Ssh! Don't tell Sansa or she'll stop giving me prizes to drop on unsuspecting players!)

Edit to add: I seriously doubt Prize breeding rates will improve for a while though so it might take a few years to get those PB EG 4G Prizes.

Edited by Cireth

If we had a store I could get all the CB Bronze Shimmers I need (and so could everyone else, no more whinging! YAY!) and breed a PB EG 4G Bronze Shimmer. wub.gif

I have been dreaming of being able to do this since I got Sansa.

Plus I'll be able to do this with all the other prizes as well! My favourites are Silver Tinsels. (Ssh! Don't tell Sansa or she'll stop giving me prizes to drop on unsuspecting players!)

Edit to add: I seriously doubt Prize breeding rates will improve for a while though so it might take a few years to get those PB EG 4G Prizes.

I THINK it was suggested that it would be limited to two prize CBs of each type - or maybe it was only one...

I THINK it was suggested that it would be limited to two prize CBs of each type - or maybe it was only one...

Aw rats! There go all the EG Breeders (who like keeping the parents on Scroll) plans then.

I haven't been keeping up with the store thread, but it sounds like this is a popular idea. Is this something that is in the works, or is it just being tossed around/a rumor?

Just something that's being tossed around on the forums. I'm all for it if it gets CB hollies back onto the site; there's too few breeding to meet demand.

Just something that's being tossed around on the forums. I'm all for it if it gets CB hollies back onto the site; there's too few breeding to meet demand.

Thanks, that's good to know. Sometimes it's phrased as if it were just an idea, sometimes it's phrased as if it's practically a sure thing- now I can have the proper amount of hope without getting disappointed.

Personally, I feel that if they do implement a store that it shouldn't include holidays. People already don't play as much during the nonholiday months. If holidays are included in a store then there's no real incentive to play even during holiday times. Also they're kind of like an "I was here in 20XX".

I do think small amounts of CB hollies should be released, but nothing on the scale of a permanently in-game purchasable store. Small raffles, a prize for a game, one big raffle, or something of the like would suit it best.

Not to mention if every dragon was easily available such as in a shop, then I, and probably other people too, would lose their reason for playing. The reason I stay is to help people with their holly lineage projects and collect males of every species to breed with my holly. If hollies became common then I would probably end up leaving.

Hollies and prizes seem to be, at least in my opinion, somewhat of an end game species. If they become easily obtainable a lot of people will no longer have their reason to hang around.

That's at least my take on it.

That being said I do think HMs should be brought back and I hope they are and I hope raffles are brought back too. Either way I'll keep watching my holly data sheet and counting down the holly owners.

Personally, I feel that if they do implement a store that it shouldn't include holidays. People already don't play as much during the nonholiday months. If holidays are included in a store then there's no real incentive to play even during holiday times. Also they're kind of like an "I was here in 20XX".

Not to mention if every dragon was easily available such as in a shop, then I, and probably other people too, would lose their reason for playing. The reason I stay is to help people with their holly lineage projects and collect males of every species to breed with my holly. If hollies became common then I would probably end up leaving.

Hollies and prizes seem to be, at least in my opinion, somewhat of an end game species. If they become easily obtainable a lot of people will no longer have their reason to hang around.

This isn't true at all. There may not be as much forum activity during non-holiday months or whenever you happen to be looking at to come to your conclusion, but it does not mean that there will be less incentive to play if holidays and whatever else is decided upon are available in shop.

The idea was to have most dragons available for people to get what they may have missed in the past. For example, I was here for Valentine's Day 2009, but was too slow/new to catch the dragon. Other people mentioned missing CB marrows, etc. The store also is designed so that people earn their currency by actually playing DC and it takes lots of playing to be able to afford one dragon let alone multiples.

Also, if I was somehow able to afford to miraculously get all of the dragons I am missing/want from the store, I certainly wouldn't stop playing. I've been playing far too long to do that.

Back to the topic at hand: I wish TJ would communicate either way regarding the raffle. He has time to post about the store, soooo...

This is what I REALLY want the store for, too.

I don't think that having holidays in the store would reduce people being active. In fact, as long as things were priced accordingly, it would likely increase activity because you would have to be online in order to get the things that were previously only special release (holidays, prizes).

Edited by harlequinraven

Back to the topic at hand: I wish TJ would communicate either way regarding the raffle. He has time to post about the store, soooo...

I think that we will get no news until the 10th BDay: nothing about the raffle, nothing about the store etc. And that, the day after, many of us will be disappointed. That's life.

I've been here since '08. I have worked on my scroll all those years, bargaining, trading, sweating hours over the AP and Cave.....and every time I managed somehow to get ahold of a long desired egg, it was an incredible feeling!! Like a high, almost.

And now, if the store is gonna sell rares/prizes/holidays etc, then I'll spend my time "grinding" to get those rares, and I know that the feeling won't be the same, plus the hours "grinding" will most likely breed resentment in me. How do I know this?

PWI. Perfect World. I played it for years too, always grinding, always trying really hard to make enough gold to get the good stuff, watching those who could "buy" gold get it all. Grinding took all the fun out, it was a chore. Even resorting to "buying zen" so I could grab those things too....and it didn't mean the same. And blew my budget. Like being hooked on drugs.

And now, they want to do something similar here, to one of the most pure games on the web. Kids come from other games and pressure to make DC just like those. I know, I've been there. But, I guess I'm one of the few to see it for the folly it is.

Raffles are fun. They give a small chance to get something good. But what point is playing if you can bore yourself grinding, then just get handed the good stuff? Where's the real fun in that?

Edited by Riverwillows