TJ09

2015-12-03 - Sprite Update (Round Two)

You know what? I kinda like the silvers now. Especially the hatchlings, they are so cute! wub.gif

[...] there is a new set of Two-Headed Dragon sprites as well. While similar in design, this new sprite (again) features updated shading and anatomy (just look at those wings).[/img]

Oh hot fire I approve of this message right here. RIGHT. HERE. THDs were one of my favorites of this collectible game and I'm really glad that they were updated. They looked really flat before and wow they look amazing now! It's brilliant how much art can evolve over time!

Holy wow, the Splits are *HOT*!!! wub.gif And that's coming from a picky person.

I'll have to get used to the female silvers, since those were my absolute favorites (Especially her face) but the males are very good.

I've just seen another reference to people 'just not liking change'...

If people have spent years collecting things because they like them as they are, and they are then changed into something else, they are going to feel this as a loss. What they loved and collected is gone.

Other factors: the dragons can look very different on different monitors.

The Silvers, in example, had a lovely, old-silver glow which varied slightly from one to another on various antique computers I used; the Blacks especially looked great on both of my really old computers, but pretty awful on the equally antique downstairs computer, when I had to use that, between the time one old computer blew and was replaced by another slightly less antique. When I got my new computer a couple of years ago, some of the Silver's glow was lost, but they still looked good to me.

Whatever the new ones may look like to some on their monitors, the new Silvers look very dull and more pastel-y to me, not a look I'm fond of; their character is gone and the poses/general shapes and colours are not the same. As a New Release, I'd probably like them fine, but not as replacements for something which better suited my taste and which I've loved for years, especially as they don't at all suit the lineages I'd been working on.

Indeed, there's that major question of personal taste. I realize that this is heresy, but I personally don't like Pokemon sprites, they look cartoon-y to me, a look I wouldn't bother collecting but which many people do appreciate.

This is a major reason why, apart from enjoying the community and not needing a fast computer, I joined DC and DC only, and stayed; I liked the variety of the art styles and many of the dragons, although not everyone is going to like them all, since everyone has different tastes. The degree of variety in styles and among dragons ensured that there were some which any given person would love/like to varying degrees, giving just about anyone around the world, of whatever age and taste, dragons they liked and wanted to collect. Catering to a specific taste loses those not falling within that category. And where do they go to find what they'd valued about DC when joining years back, even if only as a potential? That huge market potential of those who will never be able to afford super-fast computers/connections and wanting to collect dragons they like which remain as collected throughout their virtually eternal life is just dismissed.

Some of the newer dragons at DC look cartoony to me; I don't personally happen like the style. To me, it looks as though Gumby has invaded my scroll and is impersonating some of my favorite dragons, ruining lineages which are valued gifts or treasured beginnings toward lineages representing years of collecting/breeding hard-to-find unrelated lines with stages of advance perhaps only possible once or twice a year and not always then.

A few random examples of some once-beautiful lineage starts which no longer work:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/3ULLd

http://dragcave.net/lineage/HG0EY

http://dragcave.net/lineage/v8MZu

http://dragcave.net/lineage/jAstr

http://dragcave.net/lineage/11iqH

http://dragcave.net/lineage/2SABL

We have great spriters, I'm not dissing them - but the fact remains that people all have different tastes and making one group happy to make another miserable by altering well-loved dragons which people already have on their scrolls is borrowing from Peter to pay Paul - except by replacing what Peter already had by forcing something different on him, rather than giving everyone something new which wouldn't deprive Peter of something mattering to him and which he could simply avoid collecting much of, if not to his taste, as Paul could have done with what wasn't to his.

Frankly, although I still keep the site up while online, I increasingly haven't been much on except to check PMs, do a very little fansite Clicking or Viewing, the odd breeding burst (was on all day yesterday breeding for the first time in a while, and find being here rather depressing; I actually discovered the Silver sprite changes while Fogging dragons for the night, which saved me trying to do a blood-swap,) and not collecting much beyond Prizes since shortly after the plans for wide-ranging sprite changes were announced, and will probably pretty much be restricted to New/newer Releases less likely to be changed in the near future.

There's no point in wasting a lot of time and energy in obsessively collecting a whole lot of what I like or breeding lineages when they're only going to be changed into something else at some point.

Much of the reason for my previous and gradually fading addiction, (with the emphasis on trade prices over individual value placed on dragons preferred/required by different members arising since the initially overly rare Prize issues and the increasing importance of being able to afford faster computers and connections, as most can't, much of the community losing interest/drifting away due to these, and now with ongoing and continual sprite changes in the works,) is effectively gone, and for the first time ever, I've lately found myself forgetting about DC, even forgetting to unFog held bred eggs/hatchies awaiting (re-)Teleportation all day, in the process of joining the ranks of those who may only turn up for Releases - if they remember and don't miss out. And this is the reason I'm staying on today, until dragons on my scroll are swapped/get where they're going depending on who's online (since so many people aren't now, apart from Releases - and now even forget about their eggs as well, generally for the first time ever for them, also,) and my Teleports start coming back from yesterday to finish a breed-through mostly going to the Community thread. For the first time ever I, like others, forget about DC and my growing dragons, and I'd really rather be somewhere else.

And now I hear that the Tinsel may be changed down the road...

I've heard people previously say on a thread that it doesn't matter if older players leave, because new ones are coming on all the time, something not officially contradicted anywhere I've seen.

Turning the site into something more like all of the others and counting on the support of those who have not invested years of time and energy and have no unique investment in terms of specific dragons they've loved for years and which live forever without aging or changing is not a good business move, when a site abandons what once attracted and kept many members, despite numerous difficulties even out-right preventing people from accessing their dragons or the Cave for extended periods of time, to delete the very factors which created that long-term commitment.

Those who follow the latest fashion may follow it anywhere and have no 'brand loyalty' because nothing exists to foster it, since everything always has the potential to change into something else and something else elsewhere may have more appeal at any time.

I figure I might as well write all this out, despite - actually, because of - the fact that it will likely be ignored, denied or mocked by some happy with the change and unaccepting of disagreement with their feelings and views.

Many of the newer dragons are very beautiful, but they don't speak to me with the character displayed by some of the older ones.

And while I still don't want to miss out on any New Releases and will continue to breed for people, the last shreds of my passion for DC as a distinctively different entity potentially allowing some degree of escape from RL have dissipated with the direction taken and the prospective disappearance of the remaining dragons which most matter to me.

I'm only one of many, some long gone, some coming for Releases while they still remember, some continuing to half-heartedly play perhaps mostly out of habit rather than out of hope for better, and the degree of my addiction for years was probably not a good thing, derived from being predominately housebound, as I still am. But DC reached the heights it did by appealing to a very wide range of people, and it's sad to see that circle close in shutting out so many.

Edit: a mangled sentence under reconstruction, lol.

Edited by Syphoneira

Not a fan of the new female silver or the hatchlings: something is very off about them to me. Male silver is OK, imo.

Love the new splits, however.

I absolutely love the new Splits, but I'm not sure how to take the Silver update.

Eh. Maybe I'll grow used to them, who knows. At the moment I'm just annoyed at how ugly all my Silver lineages turned out. :\ My male Silver and female Black checker used to look so good, but the new Silver sprite just makes it look weird. At least my male Silver and female Moonstone checker looks decent... albeit barely.

Edited by Beldarius

The two-headed is very nice. It keeps the style and color while adding depth and tone. They are pretty buff now.

The silver is a lateral move to me. It's just a different version of the same thing with some pros and cons.

They are very blurry in lineages now. I think they went a touch too soft.

http://dragcave.net/lineage/zS36S

Just looked through all my silver lineages on desktop. The female ones are alright or even slightly improved, but the changes in color with the male are drastic--they are much brighter now in both silver and mane color and it definitely is hurting. sad.gif The checkers I worked on the most were male silvers x tan ridgewing and shadow walker, both of which relied heavily on the previous color and don't look half as good now. Green copper and rosebud lines suffered similarly. Mixed feelings on royal blue.

This stings a lot. sad.gif Never expected silver shimmers and Jewel herself to be made to look dull. The previous colors worked together in such perfect harmony... I would've chosen a different mate if I'd known this was coming. sad.gif

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

@angelicdragonpuppy: Actually, I like the look of most of those lineages you present. The only one that doesn't really work for me is the Shadow Walker line, but that never worked for me.

It really comes all down to personal taste, doesn't it?

I agree on the Jewel line though. She shouldn't be outshined smile.gif

Edited by Ruby Eyes

The male Silver still has a weird pose especially in lineage view and the Silvers are now so blurry i want to grab glasses or a magnifier and let me thing something is wrong with my eyes.

Whoa whoa whoa, that's two people now mentioning a Tinsel update. That was just someone speculating, not anything hinted at by staff, right? If my 2g Prizes up and change on me my current frustration is going to look like nothing in comparison to my rage then.

This stings a lot. sad.gif Never expected silver shimmers and Jewel herself to be made to look dull. The previous colors worked together in such perfect harmony... I would've chosen a different mate if I'd known this was coming. sad.gif

Yeah, to me the new silvers "outshine" the tinsels and shimmers now. Like, in the lineage views, they pop out first to me.

I don't collect lineages so I'm not bothered, but I can see where others would be concerned.

I never was a fan of the Silver female, but quite liked the Silver male, so I have mixed emotions about the redo. However, I am also seeing the old sprites when I look at the lineages. Got a screenshot of one of my favorite lines before it disappears, but I can't see how the new lineages look yet.

I wouldn't have picked Splits for a redo, but it is a job nicely done. smile.gif

What do people think are the other candidates for sprite updates? Stone, dorsal, vine, and red are the only ones I can think of (and I know there was an amazing redone red floating around--a lot like the split update, gorgeous but dead on in being similar to the old one). Nothing else seems in need of much updating.

Don't touch the Stones! I love the Stones! But Vine & Dorsal could definitely use an update. I don't really feel strongly about the Red either way.

If people have spent years collecting things because they like them as they are, and they are then changed into something else, they are going to feel this as a loss. What they loved and collected is gone.

The Silvers, in example, had a lovely, old-silver glow which varied slightly from one to another on various antique computers I used; the Blacks especially looked great on both of my really old computers, but pretty awful on the equally antique downstairs computer, when I had to use that, between the time one old computer blew and was replaced by another slightly less antique. When I got my new computer a couple of years ago, some of the Silver's glow was lost, but they still looked good to me.

Whatever the new ones may look like to some on their monitors, the new Silvers look very dull and more pastel-y to me, not a look I'm fond of; their character is gone and the poses/general shapes and colours are not the same. As a New Release, I'd probably like them fine, but not as replacements for something which better suited my taste and which I've loved for years, especially as they don't at all suit the lineages I'd been working on.

Indeed, there's that major question of personal taste. I realize that this is heresy, but I personally don't like Pokemon sprites, they look cartoon-y to me, a look I wouldn't bother collecting but which many people do appreciate.

This is a major reason why, apart from enjoying the community and not needing a fast computer, I joined DC and DC only, and stayed; I liked the variety of the art styles and many of the dragons, although not everyone is going to like them all, since everyone has different tastes. The degree of variety in styles and among dragons ensured that there were some which any given person would love/like to varying degrees, giving just about anyone around the world, of whatever age and taste, dragons they liked and wanted to collect. Catering to a specific taste loses those not falling within that category. And where do they go to find what they'd valued about DC when joining years back, even if only as a potential? That huge market potential of those who will never be able to afford super-fast computers/connections and wanting to collect dragons they like which remain as collected throughout their virtually eternal life is just dismissed.

Some of the newer dragons at DC look cartoony to me; I don't personally happen like the style. To me, it looks as though Gumby has invaded my scroll and is impersonating some of my favorite dragons, ruining lineages which are valued gifts or treasured beginnings toward lineages representing years of collecting/breeding hard-to-find unrelated lines with stages of advance perhaps only possible once or twice a year and not always then.

A few random examples of some once-beautiful lineage starts which no longer work:

We have great spriters, I'm not dissing them - but the fact remains that people all have different tastes and making one group happy to make another miserable by altering well-loved dragons which people already have on their scrolls is borrowing from Peter to pay Paul - except by replacing what Peter already had by forcing something different on him, rather than giving everyone something new which wouldn't deprive Peter of something mattering to him and which he could simply avoid collecting much of, if not to his taste, as Paul could have done with what wasn't to his.

Frankly, although I still keep the site up while online, I increasingly haven't been much on except to check PMs, do a very little fansite Clicking or Viewing, the odd breeding burst (was on all day yesterday breeding for the first time in a while, and find being here rather depressing; I actually discovered the Silver sprite changes while Fogging dragons for the night, which saved me trying to do a blood-swap,) and not collecting much beyond Prizes since shortly after the plans for wide-ranging sprite changes were announced, and will probably pretty much be restricted to New/newer Releases less likely to be changed in the near future.

There's no point in wasting a lot of time and energy in obsessively collecting a whole lot of what I like or breeding lineages when they're only going to be changed into something else at some point.

Much of the reason for my previous and gradually fading addiction, (with the emphasis on trade prices over individual value placed on dragons preferred/required by different members arising since the initially overly rare Prize issues and the increasing importance of being able to afford faster computers and connections, as most can't, much of the community losing interest/drifting away due to these, and now with ongoing and continual sprite changes in the works,) is effectively gone, and for the first time ever, I've lately found myself forgetting about DC, even forgetting to unFog held bred eggs/hatchies awaiting (re-)Teleportation all day, in the process of joining the ranks of those who may only turn up for Releases - if they remember and don't miss out. And this is the reason I'm staying on today, until dragons on my scroll are swapped/get where they're going depending on who's online (since so many people aren't now, apart from Releases - and now even forget about their eggs as well, generally for the first time ever for them, also,) and my Teleports start coming back from yesterday to finish a breed-through mostly going to the Community thread. For the first time ever I, like others, forget about DC and my growing dragons, and I'd really rather be somewhere else.

I've heard people previously say on a thread that it doesn't matter if older players leave, because new ones are coming on all the time, something not officially contradicted anywhere I've seen.

Turning the site into something more like all of the others and counting on the support of those who have not invested years of time and energy and have no unique investment in terms of specific dragons they've loved for years and which live forever without aging or changing is not a good business move, when a site abandons what once attracted and kept many members, despite numerous difficulties even out-right preventing people from accessing their dragons or the Cave for extended periods of time, to delete the very factors which created that long-term commitment.

Those who follow the latest fashion may follow it anywhere and have no 'brand loyalty' because nothing exists to foster it, since everything always has the potential to change into something else and something else elsewhere may have more appeal at any time.

I figure I might as well write all this out, despite - actually, because of - the fact that it will likely be ignored, denied or mocked by some happy with the change and unaccepting of disagreement with their feelings and views.

Many of the newer dragons are very beautiful, but they don't speak to me with the character displayed by some of the older ones.

And while I still don't want to miss out on any New Releases and will continue to breed for people, the last shreds of my passion for DC as a distinctive and different entity potentially allowing some degree of escape from RL have dissipated with the direction taken and the prospective disappearance of the remaining dragons which most matter to me.

I'm only one of many, some long gone, some coming for Releases while they still remember, some continuing to half-heartedly play perhaps mostly out of habit rather than out of hope for better, and the degree of my addiction for years was probably not a good thing, derived from being predominately housebound, as I still am. But DC reached the heights it did by appealing to a very wide range of people, and it's sad to see that circle close in shutting out so many.

I agree with so much of what you've said here, and that last line gave me chills. To spend so much time collecting and breeding dragons you LOVE, and then after so much time they become something different that isn't what you fell in love with.

What if DC made an option to view the changed sprites differently, like how you can change a background, that would make everybody happy. Wouldn't it? Is it possible?

Edited by Andalusian

Wait! The perfect Prize breeds will be changed? His code nnnoo says everthing but it is more like a nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. blink.gif

I cannot help me but the Splits are now a tad too detailed and too Odeenesque so i have no other choice then to breed them together with the other two breeds from Odeen when i do not do purebred. What a pity. sad.gif

Wow! I LOVE those wings! They're certainly something to be proud of.

Thanks for the update!

Edit: I see there's some controversy over the silvers being changed. I have to agree, after seeing some pictures of lineages that no longer work, this change messed some folks up.

Edited by DragonCavePlayer

*peeks in* Okay, they kept the pose on the Silvers. That was what I was hoping. I will.... get used to them, eventually. They *are* more shiny, which is how they are supposed to be, so I guess that's good? I'm glad I have screenshots of my Silvers with the old sprites, though.

The 2-heads I really couldn't care less about, but again I'm glad they didn't change *too* much.

Just noticed the Two-headed hatchies and they're just adorable! wub.gif

Are there any more updates on the way? I really hope we're slowly reaching the end of the line, these things are exhausting and many times disappointing (most of the time actually, as I've yet to see a sprite update beloved by all players). More new releases, less messing around with old sprite models - I used to really like the idea of a sprite overhaul, but after Nillias and Silvers I'm not to keen on it anymore and am starting to think it'd be better to just do small tweaks and shading fixes. If a sprite change is drastic to a point that it changes almost everything the original sprite represented, just release a new breed, that would please all and anger no one, a win-win situation. wink.gif

I'm extremely happy with the updates. In particular with new Silvers, they are magnificent. While I can understand the emotional attachment to the old sprites, I didn't find them adequate (i.e. weird male neck anatomy) for such a rare, flagship dragon. For what concern the Splits, I never collected two-headed but the new pretties could easily change my mind.

@LadyLyzar and Odeen: Thank you so much, fabulous job.

I love the SHININESS of the silvers!

But I do miss the wavy manes of the old sprites. So untamed!

And while I still don't want to miss out on any New Releases and will continue to breed for people, the last shreds of my passion for DC as a distinctively different entity potentially allowing some degree of escape from RL have dissipated with the direction taken and the prospective disappearance of the remaining dragons which most matter to me.

Edit: a mangled sentence under reconstruction, lol.

You've said it better than I could. Those Silvers now look like some weirdly mutated dachshunds or something. Too bad since the others were so nice.

Splits look better, but I don't do much with twoheads.

I'm really liking the sprite updates. The dragons have more depth to them now. Thanks TJ!

Just noticed the Two-headed hatchies and they're just adorable! wub.gif

Are there any more updates on the way? I really hope we're slowly reaching the end of the line, these things are exhausting and many times disappointing (most of the time actually, as I've yet to see a sprite update beloved by all players). More new releases, less messing around with old sprite models - I used to really like the idea of a sprite overhaul, but after Nillias and Silvers I'm not to keen on it anymore and am starting to think it'd be better to just do small tweaks and shading fixes. If a sprite change is drastic to a point that it changes almost everything the original sprite represented, just release a new breed, that would please all and anger no one, a win-win situation. wink.gif

+1

Maybe for the Silver a solution likewise done with the old aka Bright Pinks and the new Pinks or just Pinks would be much better so the old lineages that are worked hard for years are not wasted and could still be admired and we will have the new Silvers.

I also was very excited about the dimorphism about the Nilia Pygmies but they are no longer the cute beloved Pygmy breed that sneaked into my heart. But the Horse update was great the lineage view for the male Horse was very weird at the start but now i can see the details and it's no longer weird.