TJ09

2015-12-03 - Sprite Update (Round Two)

I don't think alt silvers is a good idea. Creating two variants of the game's second rarest dragon is asking for trouble (not to mention annoyance when breeding). I think an update made sense, I just really wish the update had been one I liked more. sad.gif

I approve! biggrin.gif I really like how shiny the silvers are now, as if they were really made of silver instead of just dull grey. It's sort of like they're really metallic now, as metallic as the golds are. And the hair! The beautiful flowing hair! ohmy.gifohmy.gif

Edited by bob_jones

Well, I definitely love the sprite updates. For me it looks more or less like this: 2D --> 3D. Seriously. Even though the previous sprites had shading and all, the new ones are so masterfully done, they really look way more 3D now. And I personally love the looks. The wings on the splits - <3<3<3

The whining is real

I love them, and if you don't, don't have them on your scroll and maybe stop whining, because whoever did the art for the updates might look at this forum and see your rude comments and feel like crap? wink.gif

Well, I definitely love the sprite updates. For me it looks more or less like this: 2D --> 3D. Seriously. Even though the previous sprites had shading and all, the new ones are so masterfully done, they really look way more 3D now. And I personally love the looks. The wings on the splits - <3<3<3

YES THIS IS EXACTLY IT.

These sprites have really brought these silvers to life. biggrin.gifxd.png

The whining is real

I love them, and if you don't, don't have them on your scroll and maybe stop whining, because whoever did the art for the updates might look at this forum and see your rude comments and feel like crap? wink.gif

I am not going to release literally dozens of rare dragons I worked hard to get just because the art no longer pleases me. This is not a matter of avoiding a new dragon, it's of dealing with changes to things we already had.

Also, artists are not above critique. DC is a public game, not a private endeavor. Players have every right to express disappointment. I realize that the artist worked hard on them, but I still find the end results disappointing and feel that much of the work I've put into silver lineages over the past 8 (!) years has been mostly wasted. I'm allowed to feel sad about this and say what exactly about the sprites bothers me.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Love the new Two-Headed dragons, they look awesome, modernized, while keeping everything that made their sprite endearing and not losing any of the original sprite's character. wub.gif

As for the Silvers, I'm having very mixed emotions about them so I'm going to take

, because I really do appreciate the effort that went into making these new sprites and try to get used to this new variant of Silver dragon. But I will definitely miss the beautiful original sprites, goodbye old friends!

I am not going to release literally dozens of rare dragons I worked hard to get just because the art no longer pleases me. This is not a matter of avoiding a new dragon, it's of dealing with changes to things we already had.

Also, artists are not above critique. DC is a public game, not a private endeavor. Players have every right to express disappointment. I realize that the artist worked hard on them, but I still find the end results disappointing and feel that much of the work I've put into silver lineages over the past 8 (!) years has been mostly wasted. I'm allowed to feel sad about this and say what exactly about the sprites bothers me.

Apparently you aren't.

I kinda like how twoheaded's muscle are drawn, however dragon as a whole looks loud? Like too many things are happening, but it's the trend with new dragons. refreshing old dragons may bring some fans so I guess it's good for site.

While, overall, I am a fan of the update (though I agree the hatchies look strange, but they ALWAYS looked oddly embryonic to me, anyway, so no great loss to me), people are within their right to express their displeasure and to offer constructive criticism. No matter what, any change is going to upset some people either because they were used to the previous sprite, it doesn't fit with some lineages now, or they just plain don't like the new sprite.

Silvers, being a very popular breed, are collected on a lot of scrolls. It's going to have a huge outcry, both positive and negative, simply because of that.

I love the silvers! They're so luminous. I preferred the heavy folded wings on the old splits. They were draped like the robes in Greek statues, and I thought that was beautiful. The new ones are nice too.

Whooooo!!! Love the updates! Especially the new Two Headed look!

I'm not very fond of the male Silver, though... maybe something with the body pose? Or the head?... I don't know, something looks weird... but, anyway, I absolutely love them! At least they look more metallic to me, now.

The more I look at the new female silver, the happier I get. I had always preferred the male silver more because the blue looked better with the tarnished grey body. Now, though, the true silver goes nicely with the pink mane and nearly every single one of my female silver checkers got infinitely better. She looks so cute and mischevious now, too, with that glint in her eye and that sly smirk.

The male is definitely a bit too bright in some lineages now and the different pose will take some getting used to. However, he's growing on me already. AND BOTH OF THEIR FEET WERE FIXED! They no longer look like they are twisted and broken!

It is going to take me a while to adjust to the super shiny new egg. It's lovely, but now I have to retrain my brain for nabbing it in the AP. tongue.gif

I agree that the silver update is an effort to move towards 3D. But 3D is much more difficult than 2D and does not always mean better than 2D.

BTW, I like the two-headed's new look smile.gif .

Love the new two-headeds! I also like the silver adults, though the style makes them look a bit odd next to most other dragons. Just check the thuwed page, especially between all those other older sprites they look a bit like they're from different game xd.png

Well done, though I don't really like how the new silver hatchies look thinner than before.

ETA: Wanted to check how my lineages look now, but the changes don't show in lineage view for me, even after a hard refresh. Is it just me, or has the lineage view not been changed yet?

Edited by Ha-Ki

Not so into male silvers because I loved them more before, but the females are more or less better looking. As for the two-headed dragons, oh wow! blink.gif I didn't see that coming!

I like both updates.

The lineages I like still look good and in some cases even better. I also like the silver hatchlings better now then I did before. The silver egg looks good and is easier to tell apart from the white and fog eggs which with my eyes I've had trouble telling apart in the past with eggs in the AP (but it will take a while for me to get used to it and know to click on it when I see it in the AP).

I was very confused for a moment because the silver egg I have at the moment wasn't immediately recognizable, but then I saw the news announcement and it clicked lol.

They do look much more metallic now, but the amount of iridescence silvers have now outshines the golds I think, mostly in how they're highlighted, and the gold egg now looks comparably flatter and less metallic. There might need to be an update along the line to touch up their highlights perhaps? But on their own I like them.

I love love the new two heads ahhh. The wings always bothered me a bit, now all my split babs are appropriately fierce looking.

I recognise those Silvers from somewhere! I can't remember the artist, though..

Oh wow those Two Headed Dragons have massively improved! They look a lot bulkier than before and possibly less fat (or at least, thats how I considered the previous sprite.) The Silvers look beautiful and the smoothness of the sprite I think contributes to their look/rarity/etc. I've checked my Silver pairings though and I couldn't see many dragons seem to match them, though maybe I'll just need time to adjust to them. I wonder how the PB Silver checkers now look like..

Edited by lovecats99

I just dont' really like the Split's front-facing head... not only it's too wide base but too narrow nosetip but also how it's not that easy to look at. Also, the male's horns and spikes blend with the bg for being so bright on the lighter edge^^;

as for silvers, I jut feel male's chest shading is a bit messy and female's tail tip fluff is too large^^; And hatchies ould have a bit longer abdomen. Other than that I'm fine:)

I cant' wait for Seasonals' sprites update.... they're so much less fitting than old Splits were^^;

I agree that the silver update is an effort to move towards 3D. But 3D is much more difficult than 2D and does not always mean better than 2D.

BTW, I like the two-headed's new look smile.gif .

I don't think it was so much a better vs worse thing as that the 3D look is LadyLyzar's typical spriting style. Her sprites have a lot of depth to them. Hellhorse, new male horse, brute, lunar herald. Even her older sprites, the heartseeker and ribbon dancer for example, showed a lot of depth. We still get some releases that are a much more 2D look, such as the cassare, blue-banded, carmine. Those are different spriters who use a 2D look, whereas LadyLyzar has a different style.

ETA: Wanted to check how my lineages look now, but the changes don't show in lineage view for me, even after a hard refresh. Is it just me, or has the lineage view not been changed yet?

It's changed for me and for a lot of other people. Maybe try restarting your computer?