TJ09

2015-12-03 - Sprite Update (Round Two)

Odeenesque

XD Yes! This is a wonderful term. Of course it looks Odeenesque; Odeen made it. She has a distinct style~

Breaking news: artist makes art that looks like artist made it

Edited by ParticleSoup

I'm kinda meh on the new Silvers. They're certainly not my favorite replacement- there are pros, the anatomy is better, but the Splits are a better example of how I'd like to see updates handled.

*peeks in* Okay, they kept the pose on the Silvers. That was what I was hoping. I will.... get used to them, eventually. They *are* more shiny, which is how they are supposed to be, so I guess that's good? I'm glad I have screenshots of my Silvers with the old sprites, though.

The 2-heads I really couldn't care less about, but again I'm glad they didn't change *too* much.

Lol, this illustrates the difference between the way different monitors show colour/shading.

Time and again, I've seen people refer to what appear to me to be softly glowing/shiny silver dragons as 'grey' or 'white', that clearly being what their monitors show, while it appears that what so many are referring to as 'shiny' appears more like a rather flattish whitish colouration to me, on what to me is still a 'new' computer, having been purchased only a couple of years ago.

So adjusting colour for one group essentially exchanges discontent.

I'm extremely happy with the updates. In particular with new Silvers, they are magnificent. While I can understand the emotional attachment to the old sprites, I didn't find them adequate (i.e. weird male neck anatomy) for such a rare, flagship dragon.

Well, see, I'm in a weird place because I agree with you, but dislike the new sprites.

The old ones, much as I loved and used them, had a ton of problems. While I don't think old art on the cave is itself a problem, I did see something wrong with having the second rarest dragon normally available in cave look old. New players who joined, saw all the cool dragons, and then worked really hard to collect a rare silver just to find out how wonky it looked were probably going to be quite disappointed. Because of that, and because I hoped there could be a compromise between keeping the old and making them look more gorgeous, I looked forward to an update.

...Unfortunately, however, the new ones just aren't cutting it for me. That's what I'm sad about--choice of update, not update presence. The spriter has made some really cool dragons, but her style isn't one I favor and the difference in how the new ones look versus the old is really jarring, especially in lineages. (To be fair, I suppose the Holly and Split updates could've been just as drastic for some, but since I worked with a lot of Silver lines I see the difference more while the other changes look, in my eye, fairly subdued... although Hollies are here and there. Don't look quite as good with the oldies I once liked pairing them with, although the sprites are pretty sweet looking).

Honestly if we DID go with a fairy big overhaul (as we did) I was at least hoping it would be these sprites. They are so majestic and realistic looking and, while quite shiny, didn't feel as overwhelming as the new ones: http://humanwendigo.deviantart.com/art/DC-...manWendigo&qo=3

It's weird for me to see how many people say the new Silvers are more shiny, especially more than the Shimmers - to me, they look more like light gray plush animals. Or, especially in the lineage view, like something very smooth, such as porcelain. The old version looked more metallic to me. (As Syphoneira said, maybe different monitors?)

Either way I have to agree that they don't go well with Silver Shimmers anymore, sadly.

I will find lovely new mates for these fluffy porcelain Silvers, but I think it is sad to see many lineages not looking as pretty as before.

Breaking news: artist makes art that looks like artist made it

*gasp!* No way!

It's weird for me to see how many people say the new Silvers are more shiny, especially more than the Shimmers - to me, they look more like light gray plush animals. Or, especially in the lineage view, like something very smooth, such as porcelain. The old version looked more metallic to me. (As Syphoneira said, maybe different monitors?)

Either way I have to agree that they don't go well with Silver Shimmers anymore, sadly.

I will find lovely new mates for these fluffy porcelain Silvers, but I think it is sad to see many lineages not looking as pretty as before.

Well, perhaps "bright" is more accurate than "shiny" (although I think both apply). The old silvers were, for me, a duller silver-gray, while these new ones are a brilliant silver-white. It sticks out a lot in lines where they're paired with less vibrant dragons.

What if DC made an option to view the changed sprites differently, like how you can change a background, that would make everybody happy. Wouldn't it? Is it possible?

I think everyone would happy if we can choose what kind of silver to display on our scroll rolleyes.gif I know it is impossible but I do hope so biggrin.gif

I never was a fan of the Silver female, but quite liked the Silver male, so I have mixed emotions about the redo. However, I am also seeing the old sprites when I look at the lineages. Got a screenshot of one of my favorite lines before it disappears, but I can't see how the new lineages look yet.

I wouldn't have picked Splits for a redo, but it is a job nicely done. smile.gif

Restarting my browser did it for me!

oh my holy mashed potatos DAT MUSCLE DEFINITION

love both updates, they look so much better than the originals imo

The female Silver is quite alright, while the male Silver doesn't look really nice to me. The hatchlings look especially weird to me. xd.png The new sprites for the Splits look great like for another dragon, the old sprites were just more cute than though-looking.

As I've been with DC for some years I do feel that with the sprite replacements I lost some of the dragons I loved and was proud of. sad.gif

Well, see, I'm in a weird place because I agree with you, but dislike the new sprites.

The old ones, much as I loved and used them, had a ton of problems. While I don't think old art on the cave is itself a problem, I did see something wrong with having the second rarest dragon normally available in cave look old. New players who joined, saw all the cool dragons, and then worked really hard to collect a rare silver just to find out how wonky it looked were probably going to be quite disappointed. Because of that, and because I hoped there could be a compromise between keeping the old and making them look more gorgeous, I looked forward to an update.

...Unfortunately, however, the new ones just aren't cutting it for me. That's what I'm sad about--choice of update, not update presence. The spriter has made some really cool dragons, but her style isn't one I favor and the difference in how the new ones look versus the old is really jarring, especially in lineages. (To be fair, I suppose the Holly and Split updates could've been just as drastic for some, but since I worked with a lot of Silver lines I see the difference more while the other changes look, in my eye, fairly subdued... although Hollies are here and there. Don't look quite as good with the oldies I once liked pairing them with, although the sprites are pretty sweet looking).

Honestly if we DID go with a fairy big overhaul (as we did) I was at least hoping it would be these sprites. They are so majestic and realistic looking and, while quite shiny, didn't feel as overwhelming as the new ones: http://humanwendigo.deviantart.com/art/DC-...manWendigo&qo=3

Amazingly well said!

The Silvers are now shiny, but they aren't my favorite replacement. I think my favorite Silver option (other than my own, of course, in my sig tongue.gif) had been Opal Dragon's beauties in the old update topic - here, and perhaps this beauty here. They're wild and shiny and metallic, with perfect anatomy fixes and all of the spirit of the originals. These ones are pretty. But they aren't Silvers.

Love the new sprites, the Splits are gorgeous ♥♥

The Silver's male head looks a bit weird to me though... Don't really like his expression unsure.gif

From the Silver's sprite updating topic Whitekeaton's were my favourites ☺

Edited by WoLfgIrLyS

I do not understand the controversy behind the new Silver Dragon. Everyone was all hyped up for it, but the second it happens, it seems like people are salty for no reason. The new sprites are a drastic improvement over the old ones. I mean come on, guys. The art for the old Silvers was very wonky looking.

The female's left arm was absolutely mangled, the right arm's shading looked completely wrong, and the spine was bent in such a way that looked broken. And the old male also had a broken spine. Look at the neck more closely. No reptilian animal should bend that way at the shoulder, mystical or not. And his pose was overall very strange. It just looked weird no matter how you put it.

The new Silvers have a much better definition to the dragon itself. The Silvers finally are "silver" rather than a weird light gray. Their scales finally look like they shine like how they should as a "metal" dragon. So, yeah, they are going to be brighter. And the spines don't look like they're made of metal anymore. They now have a feathery tone, which was much needed to them.

Overall, the redoing of the poses and the new shading on them has brought a nice breath back into a pair of sprites that were very lacking before. The artist did a wonderful job and they should be applauded for keeping the original vision as well as they did while fixing up the serious flaws that the old sprites had.

And I honestly don't see how the lineages are "messed up" now. They look a lot better imo now that the sprites match the style of the newer dragons now. (which is what people are commonly linking, then saying "they are so messed up!!!!!!")

Amazingly well said!

The Silvers are now shiny, but they aren't my favorite replacement. I think my favorite Silver option (other than my own, of course, in my sig tongue.gif) had been Opal Dragon's beauties in the old update topic - here, and perhaps this beauty here. They're wild and shiny and metallic, with perfect anatomy fixes and all of the spirit of the originals. These ones are pretty. But they aren't Silvers.

Mm, your Silvers looked gorgeous <3 So wild and shiny, but still quite a lot like the old ones! Everything that silvers could've been <3

Although, to be fair, I'm not sure how they'd look in lineage view and that's where most of my squawking comes from xd.png but side by side with the old silvers, straight-up-sprite-wise, yours are hands-down the winner. Exactly how I've always pictured silvers in my brain, as I wrote descriptions of their majesty and grace while avoiding looking at the old sprites, ahaha.

Keaton's were really cute, but a bit too different stylistically from what I'd want, I think. I love how foxlike the female looks though, especially the face ;w;

I love the silvers. It looks like they're dancing!!

The two headeds were SUCH A SURPRISE but I am so excited about them I can't even get over it. Finally, my Quixote dragon matches her angry description! <3<3<3 It always felt weird how she looked like such a plushie when she felt like such a cranky bamf in my head.

The splits are mouthwateringly gorgeous.

The silvers look stiff and have lost the dynamic gesture of their previous coiled pose and their wind tousled mane. and I don't like the extreme brightness at all. I'm rather disappointed that from all the options that were truer to the style and spirit of the original, this set was chosen. I do like the male on his own merits, his tail and head looks very elegant and the mane deliciously fluffy, just not as a silver.

I hoped the Silver hatchies would have been more revamped, but they always looked weird to me so no big deal. xd.png The new hatchlings are an improvement to me nonetheless. The new egg will take some getting used to, but it was probably necessary to make them more distinct from White eggs.

The Silver adults look great! I love the soft feathery manes, and the Silver female has a delightful expression on her face where I never saw one before. Both of them look super happy, actually. happy.gif

Edit: Whoops, forgot about the Splits! They're definitely fantastic, and the new hatchling S1 is adorable.

Edited by Tehya Faye

Amazingly well said!

Say, I remember this site, lots of nice Silvers gathered in one place. ^^ You did a really good job with your Silvers, I like them a lot.

I've been using frozen s1 Hooktalons as scroll separators, but now I'm think of switching to Two-Headed s1 hatchlings. I like how they appear to be pointing something out.

I'm fine with the new Silvers. I don't completely adore them, but I certainly don't hate them. To me, anything is better than what they were.

Probably my point of view is limited by the fact that I'm comparing the new Silvers only with the new ones. Time ago I had found a thread with suggestions for the change (can't find it now) but, reading the strong opposition of many experienced (and quite vocal smile.gif) players, I thought nothing was going to happen on that front and didn't focus on the differences: I remember a few great ones but would not be able to say if this update was there.

I'm absolutely not talking about you but other players, that systematically oppose any change, could maybe consider compromising. If someone just says "no", wastes an opportunity to influence the final outcome, in this case the choice of sprite.

Edited by NotBambi