TJ09

2015-12-03 - Sprite Update (Round Two)

All I've gotten out of this thread so far is that people really, really don't like change lol. I feel bad for the sprite updaters...

I for one adore the new silvers. The old sprites were basically grey; the new ones are actually shiny and dynamic, not flat and also manages to avoid looking too much like silver tinsels in coloration. I'm sure it wasn't easy to do, and clearly a lot of care went into it.

The splits are also great and actually nicely defined now rather than just blobs of vaguely dragon-shaped color. Never been a huge fan of 2-headed dragons in general but I really admire the work that went into these. The wings especially are a huge improvement and don't look like capes anymore lol.

Great job spriters!

Wow, the Two-Headed hatchlings are adorable!

Look at this little S1!

user posted image

I really like the silver update.

I LOVE the split update though. They have always been one of my least-favorite dragons, from the day I signed up. Now, while they may still not be among my top-five, they are dragons I actually like.

Edited by Nectaris

I love the look of both for the updates.

For the silvers, I think I love the more slender look they now have. I like the pink/blue fur that runs along the back and the tuft of hair on the tails. I will now have to start hunting CB silvers as I can sure see a lot of breeding potential.

The two-headed really looks great. I love the details/shading done on the wings.

Very well done.

I really love the new male silver and mistletoe smile.gif

I didn't even think of that combination - but yes, they are perfect for each other now!

I think both Silver genders look better with Water Walkers now, too. (I don't currently breed that combination, but have thought of it - chances really improved now. biggrin.gif )

Too bad we can't have both Silver versions.

I'm trying new combinations with lineage planning, and to my surprise, I've found even most of the newer breeds (Xenos e.g.) are not "3D enough" to go well with the new Silvers. And classic combinations like Pebble x female Silver are rather weird-looking now.

But on the other hand... things like the above-mentioned Silver x Mistletoe might just make up for that. smile.gif

Very nice! I know a lot of people were concerned about them but I think that the updates do these pretties justice. And the two Headed looks awesome as well, very pleased!

Two headed dragons looks nice, really great improvement. But the silvers... I like the old ones much more. They were kinda legendary and now they lost it all, too fancy or something.

edit. Male silvers chin is probably too high, now the pose looks like a dog who sees something interesting somewhere far away. The old one has that cool equestrian-horse-neck-pose thing. For the new one, little bit more of curves would be better.

Edited by kammo

I'm not terribly keen on any of the hatchlings now I've seen them either.

The thing is not so much that there is anything wrong with the new sprites per se, some will like & others won't that's just a matter of opinion but what I really don't get is why do we HAVE to keep updating the older sprites?

Sure the newer one may be technically 'better' either in shading/anatomy or what have you but very often in the changes it loses the character of the original sprites even in supposedly minor changes and never mind huge ones (golds) and it completely changes the lineages that people have worked on sometimes for years.

I know not everyone builds lineages but I am getting truly fed up with this happening over and over again.

Love the splits, not fond at all of the silvers. They look too... Soft, for lack of a better word, like the limbs were stretched out oddly, and something about the female isn't doing it for me.sad.gif huge bummer for me.

Those silvers are glorious! I was really worried, because silvers are one of my favorites, but this is a fantastic update!

Also delighted with the two-headed update. Artists really outdid themselves!

I'm not sure how I feel about the new Silvers. I really liked the old ones.

But I very much like the new Splits. They fit better with the newer two-headed breeds now.

I was not expecting that with the splits. They look amazing now.

The silver are gorgeous too. Good job, spriters. smile.gif

Aw, I'm a bit bummed... the silvers seem really overworked, entirely too smooth. Their feathers/fur no longer have any details, which to me was one of my favorite appeals for the sprites. The pink female, for instance, no longer has any character in the mane; in the old sprite a few hairs were sticking out all over the place, but with the new one, its one smooth, continuous line. With the outlines totally gone, they seem to seep into the background (especially noticeable in lineage view...) and are kind of really mismatched in lineages, since most of the other dragons do have a cute cartoony, outlined look. I miss the happy.gif face as well. Sorry to use an ancient emoticon, but that's exactly what her face looks like!

So all in all, I think the overly smooth look lost just about all of the character the original sprites had. The pose has lost some of the movement as well, backs and manes especially. Same with the hatchlings, they're very flat and look awkward because their backs aren't as curled and the legs overlap in a way that it looks they only have the two. It's pretty disappointing, since I had just finally managed to get a few eggs.

On their own though, the adult sprite look absolutely beautiful~. I just don't think they're an upgrade from the original silvers. (Maybe these can be like.... an alt? So people who want them can trade for them, the artists' work won't be wasted, and people will get to preserve lineages?)

The two-headed ones look fantastic though! A little bulky, but that's just because I'm used to seeing the old sprite. Fantastic work on the wings! The tail looks great too, a small detail I always overlooked in the original. Huge improvement!

(.... Maybe tinsel revamp soon?)

Agree strongly with this, the mane and outline thing in particular. Even though at a quick glance the sprites look the same it's very noticeable when looking at lineages. And I had a lot, lot, lot of lineages I feel aren't as pretty now. Add in that I don't care much even for just looking at the sprites alone and...

There are a lot of sprites from this artist that I love, but unfortunately these aren't one of them. I was really hoping the sprites by the undine creator would be chosen, or that they'd just receive mild updates. sad.gif

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Agree strongly with this, the mane and outline thing in particular. Even though at a quick glance the sprites look the same it's very noticeable when looking at lineages. And I had a lot, lot, lot of lineages I feel aren't as pretty now. Add in that I don't care much even for just looking at the sprites alone and...

There are a lot of sprites from this artist that I love, but unfortunately these aren't one of them. I was really hoping the sprites by the undine creator would be chosen, or that they'd just receive mild updates. sad.gif

Agree totally. I appreciate the work of the spriters, but the new, shiny silver doesn't match the general sprites. They look odd in most of my lineages (by which I mean checkers). I really wish they were new dragon species instead of updates of the old silvers...

I wonder what will the future revamps be like...

Edited by CuteDragons

The thing is not so much that there is anything wrong with the new sprites per se, some will like & others won't that's just a matter of opinion but what I really don't get is why do we HAVE to keep updating the older sprites?

Sure the newer one may be technically 'better' either in shading/anatomy or what have you but very often in the changes it loses the character of the original sprites even in supposedly minor changes and never mind huge ones (golds) and it completely changes the lineages that people have worked on sometimes for years.

I know not everyone builds lineages but I am getting truly fed up with this happening over and over again.

I do agree with this. Even though I love the twoheadeds.

I'm not against the idea of a Silver sprite update, but some things about the new sprites just look off, disregarding all comparison to the originals. I like the male, but there are a couple odd things about the female - her body (except the lower left part - shoulders and neck) and tail seem far too bright while the base of her tail tuft seems really, really dark for no apparent reason. I'm not sure how I feel about the poses - I'd have to think on that for longer than I have on this. Looking at it again, the part of the female I wasn't complaining about being too bright - the shoulders - look far less reflective than the neck, which actually looks right to me (although that's subjective).

The stark black outlines of the horns also look very, very strange in combination with the general smooth, soft appearance of the sprites.

The two-headeds are great - very pretty, IMO.

They both look great. I am loving the muscle structure on the hind legs of the split. (Among other things)

Awesome job guys!!

Was expecting a different version of the Silver sprite update... liked that one.. this one isn't as good tho... not bad, but the update version that I was hoping for was better.

Absolutely LOVE the Split update tho.

Never been a Split/Two headed dragon fan.

Is there any way at all we can keep the OLD Silvers we have? Just do NOT like the new ones at all.

Two-heads are fabulous.

The female silver looks great, but the male's is really stiff and unbalanced. It lost a lot of movement in the new sprite.

I like the new two headed sprites, but I'm not sure how I feel about the silvers. I was so attached to their old sprites, even if they were outdated and a bit sketchy, so I think it's going to take me a while to get used to the new ones. They're pretty and everything, don't get me wrong, and Lyza is my favourite spriter of all time ever, but I was just so attached to the old sprites. This takes away the nostalgia. But I'm sure I'll get over it. I like the new golds now, so it's only a matter of time before I feel the same way about the silvers.

Edit: I do agree with what someone said though about the silvers looking a little too smooth and how the old ones had hair sticking up at odd angles that gave them a bit of a cheeky, disheveled look. I'm going to miss that.

Also, I think they look a bit out of place in lineage view now with some of the more cartoony and two dimensional sprites since these ones look very three dimensional in a way that not many others do. So yeah, I think it's just going to take me a bit of time to get used to the change, but I guess that's normal!

Edited by StormWizard212