TJ09

2015-02-14 - Happy Valentine's Day

I don't know how most people feel, but I have to say this event is really ... below all expectations. It feels undercooked, not finished, the mechanics are a nightmare and instructions... what instructions?

There is no obvious goal, there is the fact that people get different caves based on their dragon's origins, which was not known beforehand, and yes, that can be fun, but not if people have to chose a dragon, stick with it, can't change it, and are stuck with a decision they made based upon non-available facts.

Some people can change their mates by using the items to redecorate, other people cannot do ANYTHING with redecorating, then the upscale of errors ...

It's a pity for the artwork, which is reaaaally beautiful.

On another note.

Can we have ONE year NOT a red/pink/pinkish/pink-tinted whiteish happy happy joy joy dragon?

A broken heart dragon?

I mean, I Love pink. I really love it. 50% of my clothes are made up in pink.

But it's like eating for years the same candy. You get ... *shrugs*

Something new would be nice.

Another color.

May I say a few words as well. I love how they change the Christmas dragons colour. It was all green, red and gold but since 2013, we got a different colour- we got blue for the 2013 Christmas dragons and green and a little blue for the most recent Mistletoe. smile.gif I think they're changing some things to make it unique.

Second, they even changed decorating to Valentines and gifting to Christmas, which was unexpected and awesome.

Third, I would like to add that yes, I would also love another colour for Valentines. tongue.gif Lavender, perhaps? I'm with you here, sister!

Last, I also agree with the lack of info on the event. We do not know what is to be done and were all sad that we can't change the selected dragon. And also, what is a player has no male dragon to begin with?

Anyway, it's still a great event.

(I also love the heart pose)

What about the Radiant Angels... they aren't really pink. What about the Heart Seekers? They aren't really pink either.

OK, I admit the majority of Valentine dragons ARE pink ( ARsani, Val 09, Rosebuds...)

What other colors would fit?

I am also not sure how a 'broken heart dragon' would be in keeping with Valentines day. ( I mean yes, heartbreak can happen due to love, BUT Valentines isn't for abotu that aspect of it... not really. ) Unless perhaps these dragons comfort those who are single or... something like that , I dunno.

I don't know how it works but SURELY there is nothing preventing anyone from pitching sucha concept to TJ if they want to. smile.gif

Violet could be another colour. According to the psychology of colours, violet has can influence (sexual) passion.

biggrin.gif I vote violet! Or lavender!

What about the Radiant Angels... they aren't really pink. What about the Heart Seekers? They aren't really pink either.

OK, I admit the majority of Valentine dragons ARE pink ( ARsani, Val 09, Rosebuds...)

I am also not sure how a 'broken heart dragon' would be in keeping with Valentines day. ( I mean yes, heartbreak can happen due to love, BUT Valentines isn't for abotu that aspect of it... not really. ) Unless perhaps these dragons comfort those who are single or... something like that , I dunno.

I don't know how it works but SURELY there is nothing preventing anyone from pitching sucha  concept to TJ if they want to. smile.gif

I honestly think a Heartbreak dragon on Valentines day would be ridiculous. I have to agree here.

Valentines day is about love and the main colors of Valentines day are Pink and Red. And possibly Purple/White.

The dragons are pink because it's Valentine's Day.

It's the whole point of the Holiday. That's why many of the Christmas dragons are red and green/silver and white/gold, etc. Those are Christmas colors. Valentines day just doesn't have as many main colors as the other Holidays.

Personally, I would not want a Heartbreak dragon because Valentines Day is about celebrating your loved ones and who wants to be brought down on such a positive holiday?

Violet could be another colour. According to the psychology of colours, violet has can influence (sexual) passion.

biggrin.gif I vote violet! Or lavender!

A Violet Valentine... or a lavender one could be interesting. Like I said... no on is STOPPING anyone from pitching ideas for such to TJ.

I submitted a concept for this year as well, and started out with the specific idea not to make it pink. And let me tell ya, it's not at all easy to still give it that valentines day-vibe. Sure, you can make the description fit the holiday, but the dragon itself has to give the right vibe as well... and yeah, since valentines day is usually associated with pink, the most logical way to do that is by using pink. Are there other ways? Yes, the Radiant Angel and Heartseekers prove that, but there's a very, very fine line; plus, you want to make sure the dragon doesn't look like already in-cave dragons. I couldn't make it work, and ended up using pink after all. It's really not as easy as saying you're just not going to make it pink.

On the event... I don't think there's anything wrong with it actually. It fits the holiday, it's creative, and I find it fun. It's too bad we don't get more goodies as the event progresses, but it has already been said that there's not a whole lot of artists available. Creating an event takes a LOT of time. I'm very much enjoying it. I haven't seen a lot of bugs either, in fact the only one I've heard is the problem with mobile not working until it's been used on a pc first.

Honestly, I think it's really easy to overlook the creators' side in things like these. Remember everyone here is a volunteer, no one's getting paid for the work they're doing for these events. With that all in mind I think we're getting pretty darn high quality stuff.

Edited by Rhynn Collins

Well, they're certainly...festive? Their coloring and manes remind me a bit of a very shiny red velvet cake. I see the heart pose there and I think it's a cute idea, but I'm not a fan of the head being turned toward the body. It makes it hard to see. It's a problem I have with the ribbon dancers as well.

I now understand why the hatchlings didn't want people looking at them. They don't want to be caught in the act of thievery. The vibrant color palette is anything but inconspicuous, though.

The mating ritual is a little weird. I assume the dragons and people find their missing items by going out and looking for the person who has them. But how would the new recipient know whose item it originally was if there are hundreds of items stolen and why would the original owner still be looking for the missing item months later? And why would the dragon/person be happy if the items were found in someone else's cave/house?

I can understand being happy that a family member or acquaintance found a missing item in their possession and returned it. I cannot see the original owner being happy after going all the way to the new owner's place to get his missing piece of shiny treasure and hearing, "Oh, hey! Steve the Silver said this was your necklace! Thanks for giving it to me! You must really like me, huh?" If anything, he would be confused and slightly angry. The two "co-owners" might have a good chuckle if they were acquaintances, but not if they were strangers--unless the stranger is attractive.

I dunno. Maybe I'm thinking to hard. Maybe Heartstealing dragons secretly have some sort of love magic that they secrete from their scales or enchant the items with and it makes everyone more open-hearted, forgiving, and blindly affectionate.

Either way, congrats Aangs-sister on your babies getting in cave. I'm sure they'll grow on me.

I submitted a concept for this year as well, and started out with the specific idea not to make it pink. And let me tell ya, it's not at all easy to still give it that valentines day-vibe. Sure, you can make the description fit the holiday, but the dragon itself has to give the right vibe as well... and yeah, since valentines day is usually associated with pink, the most logical way to do that is by using pink. Are there other ways? Yes, the Radiant Angel and Heartseekers prove that, but there's a very, very fine line.

On the event... I don't think there's anything wrong with it actually. It fits the holiday, it's creative, and I find it fun. It's too bad we don't get more goodies as the event progresses, but it has already been said that there's not a whole lot of artists available. Creating an event takes a LOT of time. I'm very much enjoying it. I haven't seen a lot of bugs either, in fact the only one I've heard is the problem with mobile not working until it's been used on a pc first.

Honestly, I think it's really easy to overlook the creators' side in things like these. Remember everyone here is a volunteer, no one's getting paid for the work they're doing for these events. With that all in mind I think we're getting pretty darn high quality stuff.

AND I think that is the root of the thing.

IT is very hard to make a dragon seem "Valentineish' if it isn't red or pink ( the colors MOST often associated with the day) NOT to say that a talented artist couldn't do it, just... I am pretty sure that you are right and it would take much more work to give it the right feel.

Can we have ONE year NOT a red/pink/pinkish/pink-tinted whiteish happy happy joy joy dragon?

A broken heart dragon?

I mean, I Love pink. I really love it. 50% of my clothes are made up in pink.

But it's like eating for years the same candy.  You get ... *shrugs*

Something new would be nice.

Another color.

I was thinking the same thing when I was looking for Radiant Angels in the AP when it was completely flooded with Valentines. It's hard to distinguish them from the sea of pink and white eggs. Only the Heartseekers really stood out, as will these new dragons next year, I guess. But think about it. Most people stick to a color scheme for the holidays. You might as well ask that Christmas or Halloween dragons be changed too.

I understand your frustration, but give it time. Maybe some year we'll get something in purple, or with lots of different bright colors like candy. Or another chocolate-themed one that's dark brown. Who knows? Oh, and those black Sweetlings could count as a "broken heart" dragon, it's just too bad your average user like us can't get them.

Well, this may take a little stretching of the imagination, but then - so does the existence of dragons...

That's not a stretch to me, I'm a talking crow. wink.gif And Spiteful Crows steal whatever they can get their talons on, anyway, so I guess I have no room to talk. ninja.gif

How about this:

The Heartstealers probably carry away sentimental tokens rather than real treasures. These things may not have much material worth, and may be insignificant enough that the owner either doesn't miss them acutely or just thinks they misplaced them. And still, when you are gifted such a nice little trinket out of the blue it is usually taken as a friendly gesture. (It's the thought that counts, and all that...)

Well, "sentimental" and "insignificant" are kind of antonyms, but I get what you're trying to say.

Maybe once they catch on that the Heartstealers (I'm going to have to practice not typing "Heartseekers" automatically now) are the ones doing it, finding who has their missing treasures becomes a game and a social event. smile.gif

"Oh, I see those crazy Heartstealers got you too, huh? Is that my collection of golden eggshells?"

"I think it is. Here, I'll trade you for my neighbor's collection of shiny stones, I'll give them back to him later tonight. Hey, you want to go out to dinner with us?"

And so on.

(Edit because I forgot the first part of my message. That's what I get for having two comment boxes open at once.)

Edited by Spiteful_Crow

I really like the new dragon and I love the pose, you did an great job on them Aang! I never thought that those S1 hatchies would look like that when they grow up.

But I have something for those who have a little bit time. We made short stories for each day from the event. But they sadly don't make sense in TJ's eyes so he don't put them in. But some of us want to share them with you so here is my little story for the event (Thanks to Shichibi who helped me with my grammar xd.png ):

It was a cold morning, the sun was just rising and dipped the mountains in golden light.

Shalawyn sat at a small spring of water, which was at the entrance of her cave and looked into the sparkling water.

The Falciniform Wyvern collected beautiful stones and gems and put them into the water, because she loved how they sparkled in there.

A breeze came up and Shalawyn knew that it was wind which could only be caused by dragon wings. Nyramon, a green Undine dragon, landed at the entrance of her cave and he had gifts for her in his claws. He and another male, Fyvor a Pyralspite dragon, courted her favor.

Shalawyn wasn't sure who should become her mate, since she really liked both dragons and even though Fyvor and Nyramon were both different, each of them was impressive in his own way.

There was a time when she was completely alone and the Falconiform lady never thought it was possible that she would have two males to choose from at one point in her life.

Her kind normally lives in solitude, but deep down there was always an empty feeling and she  started to feel lonely. Sure, she had a lot of fun while she was alone, but she wouldn't like to miss the time with the two males now.

It was breeding season and Shalawyn finally wanted to become a mother, so there had to be a decision who she wanted as her mate, but how should she be able to decide between them?

Both were gentle, came every morning with gifts for her like new stones, gems for her spring of water, food and sometimes even poems or new songs from the birds outside.

Nyramon was a bit shy and never touched her, even though she saw the longing in his eyes, he was always respectful and restrained. The Undine was always surrounded with a mysterious aura that fascinated her, maybe because he was just so unapproachable for her, but if he would finally touch her, Shalawyn would choose him.

Fyvor was very self-conscious and open to her about his desire, but but he never opened himself up to her and talked about his true feelings, Nyramon on the other hand was open about his feelings. She would choose Fyvor, but only if he would open up to her.

"My beautiful lady, I found those blue gems in the mountains and they reminded me of your beautiful eyes."

"Good morning Nyramon.", she greeted him, "Thank you for those beautiful gems, but I don't think my eyes are that beautiful. You can put them into the spring of water, my dear."

While Nyramon was putting away the gems another breeze came up, it was Fyvor, an Almandine Pyralspite dragon, he had brought some food for all three dragons.

"My dear Shalawyn, I hunted this morning and wanted to share it with you and Nyramon."

"Thank you! It is really kind that you want to share it with all of us."

Both males were not opposed to each other, they would accept the decision of the Falconiform female and peacefully had their meal together.

On the same day when Shalawyn flew alone over her territory, she had time to think about the males and their situation. She loved the feeling of the air around her wings and observed how the families were growing during this time of the year.

When sun colored the sky slowly orange and pink the Falconiform Wyvern decided to fly home, tomorrow would be another day and maybe one of the males would finally  be able to help her with the decision, if not, she would have to choose.

Shalawyn had reflected very long on their flight, but she came to the point where she had to decide, if she wanted to become a mother this year or not. She couldn't wait any longer.

As she landed on the entrace of her cave she noticed that something was different, someone was there. She slowly walked in, even though her eyes got used to the darkness, she tried to taste the air to find out who was in the cave as well.

There were items arranged in her cave, it also smelled fantastic and when she was finally able to see in the dark she could make out beautiful shiny stones, gold, gems, colorful scales, flowers and food, even a little plush dragon was placed next to her roost.

In the midst of this surprise sat a dragon, it was the green Undine Nyramon.

He bowed and spoke in a soft voice that trembled slightly: "Shalawyn, my dear, I wanted to prepare you a joy and I hope I have succeeded. You gave me so much love in the past years, when I tried to win your heart, but I never really showed my real love for you."

He stood up and came closer to the black Wyvern, she did not back down from him. She did, however, notice that he was nervous and smiled at him to try to take away his fear, he should know that he did nothing wrong.

And slowly, for the first time, the Undine rubbed his face against hers.

"Finally,", Shalawyn thought, "the decision has fallen.", Nyramon was the right mate for her, as he was able to defeat his fear.

There will be the right mate for Fyvor too, but it wasn't her and the Wyvern would tell him tomorrow, but firstly she would enjoy this moment.

Both dragons laid side by side and enjoyed that they had found each other.

I hope you had fun with it. wink.gif

Edited by Shajana

Oooh pretty!

There's a typo on the description though. An 'o' is a 'p' on "dragon". It's in the last line I guess. Idk, I'm on my phone.

Maybe once they catch on that the Heartstealers (I'm going to have to practice not typing "Heartseekers" automatically now) are the ones doing it, finding who has their missing treasures becomes a game and a social event. smile.gif

"Oh, I see those crazy Heartstealers got you too, huh? Is that my collection of golden eggshells?"

"I think it is. Here, I'll trade you for my neighbor's collection of shiny stones, I'll give them back to him later tonight. Hey, you want to go out to dinner with us?"

And so on.

...ok, this is an absolutely adorable idea and I'm going to believe it happens just like this. This seems like it would have a much better outcome than people's (or dragon's) things showing up in the wrong house/cave!

I don't know how it works but SURELY there is nothing preventing anyone from pitching sucha concept to TJ if they want to. smile.gif

Uhm, we actually have

Pink => These dragons were once reputed to be omens of good luck in love.

Pink => They become very vocal during breeding season and sing long, beautiful melodies to attract a mate.

Pink => The petal-like feathers that grow on their sides spread their sweet and floral scent.

Red => Heartseeker Dragons are very social creatures that emanate a sweet chocolatey scent.

Pink => This good-natured giving extends far beyond the reaches of their own kind.

White/pinkish tinted with Red. => It is said that the golden feathers shed from their whiskers can rekindle lost feelings of love.

Pink/redish => Heartstealing.

I think that's all in one direction.

How about a blue-ish one?

Who exactly said that Valentines day has only to be about pink and red and hearts and chocolate and gifts?

Isn't valentines day not also about poetry/poesy and love-from-afar?

In italy for example there are some kind of love-locks. You put the lock onto the handrail of a bridge, and together, you toss the key into the water and wish to have found the love of your life.

In England it was custom in the early 1500s, that pairs were raffled out, and those wrote each other little letters of poetry.

Finnland, Valentine's day is a kind of 'friendship'.

The sprites aren't really my cup of tea, but I do really like how the concept goes hand-in-hand with the event :3

Edited by PieMaster

And so on.

Haha. I'm sure there are a lot of apologetic, friendly dinners going on.

Anyway, I named my dragons: I Steal Hearts And Regift Them and I Love Him So I Took His Money.

Edited by Jazeki

Fyvor and Nyramon where both

Both males where not opposed to each other

how the families where growing

There where items arranged in her cave

No comments on the actual story, but I found some typos. You use "where" when you should use "were".

...ok, this is an absolutely adorable idea and I'm going to believe it happens just like this. This seems like it would have a much better outcome than people's (or dragon's) things showing up in the wrong house/cave!

I'm glad you like it. smile.gif

I Love Him So I Took His Money.

A hilarious take on an old stereotype, I love it, lol. laugh.gif

Edited by Spiteful_Crow

I'd really like to see a cream or yellow colored Valentine's dragon. Yellow is such a chipper color, but so few of our dragons have it. Cream is softer, and I think it would look great in lineages with all of its pink cousins. Lavender or some other shade of purple would be my next pick. I see a lot (alot.png) of purpley things on VDay. I think a DC dragon to match is a terrific idea.

Some people have also suggested "Anti-Valentines" or "Heartbreaks", and some other people have shot this down because "it's not in the holiday spirit". Now, it may not be, but I think that it is a very unique and ironic thought. For many single people, Valentine's Day might actually be a really sad holiday. Drastically changing the color palettes and ideas from the usual happy/love colors to blues or greens or grays might look really cool on next year's dragon.

I would love to have a purple Valentine's dragon, but I don't think blue would fit, and I'm very much against the idea of a heartbroken dragon. This is a celebration of the bonds between individuals. You don't celebrate a broken heart.

The alt sweetling is a representative of Single Awareness Day. I actually managed to find a box of candy for my roommate that was mocked up for SAD instead of Valentine's, but it was still a celebration. It was accepting that we don't have the love of our lives, but we're still happy.

I love the color of the Heartstealer. I would have been happy had she been pink or white. While everyone tends to get up in arms about the color, I lament that the Valentine's dragons have become so darn skinny. I like dragons of substance, and we haven't had one of those since the Heartseeker. I don't see why love must take on the form of a runway model. I was hoping for a curvy girl. The pose is cute, but that's not the curves I had in mind.

I must recognize that this dragon is really well made (the posing is awesome) but it's not my cup of tea. My fav val dragons are still rosebuds and sweetlings.

I would like to see a chocolate dragon for valentines.

Hmm. Purple and violet are funeral colors in several places in the world. I don't think people will choose these colors for a valentine dragon.

I'd really like to see a cream or yellow colored Valentine's dragon. Yellow is such a chipper color, but so few of our dragons have it. Cream is softer, and I think it would look great in lineages with all of its pink cousins. Lavender or some other shade of purple would be my next pick. I see a lot (alot.png) of purpley things on VDay. I think a DC dragon to match is a terrific idea.

Some people have also suggested "Anti-Valentines" or "Heartbreaks", and some other people have shot this down because "it's not in the holiday spirit". Now, it may not be, but I think that it is a very unique and ironic thought. For many single people, Valentine's Day might actually be a really sad holiday. Drastically changing the color palettes and ideas from the usual happy/love colors to blues or greens or grays might look really cool on next year's dragon.

Actually I am not single, but live in a long distance relationship, and Val-day is for me a sad day, because I cannot be with the one I love, watching the happy couples (which get less and less each year), and more lonely souls being unhappy on valentine's day inspired me to that.

But honestly, the heartbreak dragon might be an idea that fits the valentine's day, because not every love is sweet and rosy, sometimes the heartbreak is necessary, and sometimes it's when you cannot be with the one you love.

Still thinking that we could have a poetry, or flowerbouquet (other than roses), or a secret token-of-heart dragon.

A different color, even if that MIGHT be more difficult, because everyone assumes valentines needs to be eyecancercausing pink, but I guess in the end it would be really worth it.

Would be great if we get more easterns released this year to pair with this new Valentine!

Tho its different then we are used to, i do like the sprite. Just will be a bit hard to pair with other dragons i think. Would look wonderfull with shimmers!

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a moment and point out that there are probably plenty of people out there to whom Valentine's Day symbolizes nothing but heartbreak. ;-)

Of course those are usually also the people that bury themselves at home that day and thus get overlooked by the celebrating majority. From that point of view, I don't think a dragon who makes a point to visit lonely hearts at Valentine's to try and cheer them up would be that bad an idea.

Just my two cents.

As for the new dragons I have to admit that I'm one of the people who aren't fans of the adult sprites. I DO love the idea of the silver mane and heartshaped pose, but overall the sprite is too busy and confusing to look at for my personal liking.

In any case though they obviously were a lot of work and I tip my hat to the artist.