TJ09

2015-02-14 - Happy Valentine's Day

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a moment and point out that there are probably plenty of people out there to whom Valentine's Day symbolizes nothing but heartbreak. ;-)

Of course those are usually also the people that bury themselves at home that day and thus get overlooked by the celebrating majority. From that point of view, I don't think a dragon who makes a point to visit lonely hearts at Valentine's to try and cheer them up would be that bad an idea.

Just my two cents.

As for the new dragons I have to admit that I'm one of the people who aren't fans of the adult sprites. I DO love the idea of the silver mane and heartshaped pose, but overall the sprite is too busy and confusing to look at for my personal liking.

In any case though they obviously were a lot of work and I tip my hat to the artist.

I'm only against a depressed, lonely dragon on Valentine's Day. A dragon that comforts those who have had heartbreak still promotes love and positivity and comfort.

But a sad, dark dragon on Valentine's Day goes against what the holiday is supposed to be. We have Halloween for the dark themes.

These dragons aren't put in place to represent those who view Valentine's Day in a negative light. They're just a generic representation of the holiday itself. And the holiday itself is about nothing but love.

I'm only against a depressed, lonely dragon on Valentine's Day. A dragon that comforts those who have had heartbreak still promotes love and positivity and comfort.

But a sad, dark dragon on Valentine's Day goes against what the holiday is supposed to be. We have Halloween for the dark themes.

These dragons aren't put in place to represent those who view Valentine's Day in a negative light. They're just a generic representation of the holiday itself. And the holiday itself is about nothing but love.

Well, maybe not exactly? I remember school days, when all the girls wrote friendly Valentines to all the other girls, so for us it was a friendship holiday (because our boys were too little and shy to write anything back then).

How do you get variety in your items? I never seem to get anything different even though I get the message that I've brought more things for my dragon. I have all magic items (and the same items, at that,) every day.

Well, maybe not exactly? I remember school days, when all the girls wrote friendly Valentines to all the other girls, so for us it was a friendship holiday (because our boys were too little and shy to write anything back then).

Do you not love your friends? Friendship goes hand in hand with love. The holiday is about love.

just posting to say i love this Sprite. i love the colors (i hope the Spriters Alts contain shadings of Black to complement the silver mains) and i love that its an Eastern dragon.

i can't wait to see these with Shimmers wub.gif especially Silver Shimmers wub.gif

my two babies names are:

Thieves of the Heart & You've Stolen my Heart

I'm almost considering starting a thread for discussing Heartstealer breeding, but I'm not seeing too much glowing praise for them… I just want to see what people have as ideas for mates, whether thematic or aesthetic. (Personally, considering the kind of names I've given mine… I might just shove two Brutes at their faces, considering the nature of the characters Agron and Crixus xd.png)

I saw your post and was challenged, although you may want to see if someone would whip up one of those lineage charts.

Good color pairings:

Bleeding Moon

Carmine Wyvern

Flamingo Wyvern

Lumina

alt ridgewing?

Royal blue

Speckle throat

Soul peace

blue/verdigris copper

Shadowwalkers

Good shape parings:

red-finned tidal

Skywing

Seragamma Wyvern

Shimmers, of course

Spitfire

Sunsongs

Swallowtails

Water

(too bad they are only females,

would look very nice with female silvers and solstices, but Valentines are always one or the other and females works very well for this dragon)

I like the new dragons and I mostly got over the pink thing with the Arsanis when I realized that my dislike of pink made me miss out on a valuable dragon that actually looked really nice paired with things. (Though I still don't care much for the balloon dragon. *shifty eyes*)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong - but aren't the Alt. Sweetlings designed for Singles Awareness Day as opposed to Valentine's Day?

That aside...Besides Silvers - anyone have any ideas for breeding these new Heartstealing Dragons? I was thinking a darker dragon like Moonstone or Gray but...

How do you get variety in your items? I never seem to get anything different even though I get the message that I've brought more things for my dragon. I have all magic items (and the same items, at that,) every day.

Try clicking on the other item names (shinies, meat, sweets) and you will have access to more items. Each day though the list of available items remains the same regardless of category.

I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a moment and point out that there are probably plenty of people out there to whom Valentine's Day symbolizes nothing but heartbreak. ;-)

-raises hand-

I call it Single's Awareness Day quite often, lol!

And while I do like this year's dragon quite a bit (I like that it's not a blinding pink [at least on my monitor] but a more coral/red shade), I would love to see more dragons with the Alt. Sweetlings' nature (not exactly the same colors, but an anit-Valentine's Day theme).

I really want to see a dragon that brings out the fact that despite valentines being about kissy kissy love love, it can also be a bit sad and depressing for some. As someone mentioned, being in an LDR (long distance relationship) means that festivities like valentines, christmas, birthdays, etc, are all mostly celebrated over video chat and without the ability to hold that person and show them the affection they deserve on these days.

Aside from that, the plethora of single people who are often rejected for their looks or status, valetines is just a reminder that very few people actually find them atractive or love worthy. So lets not try and push away that notion and lets embrace it because there is a shadow to every light and as such having dragons that represent that would be amazing~!

[EDIT]

Thatis not to say I don;t like this valentine dragon. Its really cute and I love its sleek look. Not all valentines have to be plumpy or thick, and having them be sleek doesnt mean they are emphasizing valentines has to be about skinny people or animals. There are many naturally thin and sleek animals in nature, and I love this feature about them. Their looks especially fit their description, seeing as they sneak in and steal things, they would need to be sleek and thin to accomplish this.

Edited by AnanoKimi

alt ridgewing?

Did you mean alt Dorsal instead?

user posted image

Those would look nice, though I think Carmine Wyverns sound best from the ones on your list. smile.gif

AnanoKimi, you put that beautifully and poetically!

I actually spent this V-Day with one of my best friend's who also had her heart broken last year. It was awesome to celebrate friendship and have a great day together, but it's just not the same as romantic love (and since my heart break is much more recent than hers, I couldn't help but to stop and think once a while about it).

So although the pink, lovey-dovey stuff is cute and all, it'd be nice to have a dragon once in a while that does capture the opposite of that (in a tasteful, playful way of course - nothing hateful). We've only had one that's ever done it [Alt. Sweetling] and it's not one everyone could get either </3

I do really like this year's dragon though, so don't take this as my being ungrateful - I love the color, the fact it's an eastern, and the stunning mane shades against the coral/red body smile.gif

Edited by Wahya

Ah! Those dragons just stole my heart............ wub.gif

That's a terrible pun, and I'd like to second it! Radiant Angel is still my favorite Valentine, but Heartstealing have stollen my heart.

My divorce was final on Valentine's Day many years ago. Although it was a good and necessary thing (I filed), and I had a lot of fun with that fact and got a lot of free drinks for it, it forever dashed my "happily ever after" dream.

I really like the sprite this year. And since I was feeling cheeky, and tongue-in-cheeky, I named my two "Bathtub Toaster" and "Head In the Oven," taken from the lyrics of a song called "Kick in the Head." ohmy.gifcool.gif

I can't wait to see the spriter's alt.

Hmmm...I don't have any idea of how to name my 2 babies...X_X

And today a Nebula to came visit my Radiant Angel on the cave...Nice >w<

Edited by Glaciarie

I really want to see a dragon that brings out the fact that despite valentines being about kissy kissy love love, it can also be a bit sad and depressing for some. As someone mentioned, being in an LDR (long distance relationship) means that festivities like valentines, christmas, birthdays, etc, are all mostly celebrated over video chat and without the ability to hold that person and show them the affection they deserve on these days.

Aside from that, the plethora of single people who are often rejected for their looks or status, valetines is just a reminder that very few people actually find them atractive or love worthy. So lets not try and push away that notion and lets embrace it because there is a shadow to every light and as such having dragons that represent that would be amazing~!

Let's not embrace a concept of negativity. The last thing I want to see is a dragon that reminds me of how miserable, sad, lovelorn and depressed people are. I'm sorry that people deal with that but the last thing I want is a constant reminder of it in my face.

If people insist on such a dragon, at least do it as a non holiday release. I'd like to keep what are meant to be joyful holidays joyful.

Edited by MedievalMystic

there is a misspelling on the last sentience of the description.

"The only way to know if a gift is from a Heartstealing Dragpn is to find one of their wafer-thin scales at the scene."

Clearly this dragon was made with me in mind.

(just kidding)

I like how they form a heart with their pose though smile.gif

XDDDD

That's awesome smile.gif

I thought that was very creative too.

there is a misspelling on the last sentience of the description.

"The only way to know if a gift is from a Heartstealing Dragpn is to find one of their wafer-thin scales at the scene."

You're a little late, Dragpn is already our new DC meme. wink.gif

still best to make sure.

I suppose that's true.

My guess is that the Heartstealers got an early head-start and stole the "o" for their collections, so the person writing the descriptions had to make do with a different letter. They were going to use a zero, but the shiny little thieves stole that too. tongue.gif