DarkEternity

Lifting the Holiday limit

Yep I also like this change. Now I can have more of those gorgeous dragons on my scroll.

Now for the valentines limit! rolleyes.gif

Did TJ say limits would be returning next year? I don't remember reading that.

He didn't, no. And it would be silly if he did do that; to have unlimited catching of older breeds one year and then not allow it again. The anger would be epic.

I didn't think so. I've just read that assumption a few times on the forum and I was like, "Wait, what?"

I hope the same thing happens for Valentine's Day! I want an army of Rosebud dragons so badly! Plus, the hatchies are SO adorable, I really want a few frozen ones.

I have to admit, I'm on the fence in regards with the lift of the limits. I'd hoped to get at least one Holly that was a bit less messy than the ones I have.

Instead I've wasted around 8 hours (over the entire period) in order to be able to catch three slightly messy holidays for freezing and only managed to find two that I'd be able to work on lineages with.

With a 30/10 Mbit connection, a 3 month old computer and a new mouse - that's managed to catch several CB metallics in this fall O.o - I managed to catch perhaps 7 eggs in all, released two of them again (before I realised just how much time it would take to catch even one). So I'm not terribly impressed with the change, making it nigh on impossible to catch anything truly worthwhile if you don't have more than 1-1,5 hours every day to spend hunting.

I'm truly very happy for all the people being able to catch holidays for lineages and freezing. I'm also happy that I am capable of getting the frozen hatchling sprites which truly are the cutest ever. But this year it's been much much harder to catch something good. Instead I've traded for a few, which of course is nice too but not nearly as fun.

I doubt there will be a much bigger pool of Hollies available for breeding next year as a result of this change. I rather think a lot of old players (and maybe new as well, who might have been able to spend more time hunting and catching more hollies) will freeze at least two hatchlings each - as I admit I have done. That's two hatchlings for every player who has that as a goal, that won't be in the breeding pool next year...

So yeah, a great Christmas for breeding Holidays - for the first time I've bred them all - but a really sucky year for catching.

ETA: I have to add, last year I had even less time to hunt, I still managed to catch three Hollies in that time (one I gifted to a friend), so this year pales significantly in comparison.

Edited by Immaling

I plan to breed all my dragons next year and keep none, except one of these new ones =) So if you still don't have a Holly, jot my name down and PM me around Chrismtas next year and I'll make sure you get a clean lineaged Holly ^^

I love that the limit was lifted, for one thing I was able to nab rares out of the cave when I hardly ever manage to get to them before anyone else xd.png So I got CB silver and CB Gold for my efforts

EDIT

ANd I only freeze hatchies if I find them so darn cute I can't resist...and this year that was the wrapping wings [both stages], and the S1 of the ribbon dancer and Yulebuck xd.png

Edited by Sirithiliel

I think it is absolutely fabulous! I have always understood the two holiday limit but was very depressed that I could not keep a baby when I bred my dragons. Because of this I actually released some of my Holiday CBs after I bred them and kept the offspring.

I don't think there will be any more difficulty getting dragons like the Holly because as far as I can see Holidays are almost always multiple births so some will drop from every breeding.

The one thing I do wish is that the eggs did not automatically release when you pick an egg. I would like to be able to save one and still teleport one as a gift. But I guess I can gift any siblings to the one I keep in future years...

All in All I thing TJ has given us the perfect Holiday gift!!!! Thank you, and maybe if we are lucky it will be the same for Valentines? biggrin.gif

I am absolutely thrilled with the lift of limits, and I think doing this way - allowing max 2 CB and any number of bred holiday dragon - is very fair. This way those who want to have CBs but also would like to create pretty lineages with these beauties don't have to be stuck with an either/or dilemma.

For myself, it motivates me to put more work into creating lineages with my holliday dragons now that I know that I will at least be able to keep and enjoy some fruits of my labor as well as letting others enjoy them too.

Edited by lanette

The one thing I do wish is that the eggs did not automatically release when you pick an egg.

This! I wish I could keep one more for gifting. Maybe with a 24 hours limits, just like before the limits were raised.

Otherwise, Christmas without limits was awesome. xd.png I try to have every stage of every breed (S1, S2, adult), so it was always very frustrating for me to be limited to 2 sprites.

I also like that the limit was kept for the new breed.

I agree.

This was a very good idea!

It would be a nice idea for all past Christmas and Valentine dragons, with the limit only on the current year release.

I also agree with the sentiment that it gave the players who already had all the past dragons a way to participate.

The one thing I do wish is that the eggs did not automatically release when you pick an egg. I would like to be able to save one and still teleport one as a gift. But I guess I can gift any siblings to the one I keep in future years...

Even back when all dragons had the ability to multi-clutch (not just holidays)... the rule has always been you can only control one egg from any given clutch (whether you kept it or gave it away was your choice). All the extra eggs from the clutch had to go to the AP to be spread around. This is not likely a rule that will never be changed.

Even back when all dragons had the ability to multi-clutch (not just holidays)... the rule has always been you can only control one egg from any given clutch (whether you kept it or gave it away was your choice). All the extra eggs from the clutch had to go to the AP to be spread around. This is not likely a rule that will never be changed.

And to be honest I think it's fair enough.

I plan to breed all my dragons next year and keep none, except one of these new ones =) So if you still don't have a Holly, jot my name down and PM me around Chrismtas next year and I'll make sure you get a clean lineaged Holly ^^

Pretty much this and also I will be same for those with none jot me down too some have stocked now for breeding just for those without a holly next year. Give me a bell nearer the time.

I loved having the limit raised for number of reasons. I adore the christmas dragons they are amongst my favourites and to hoard different lineages and get to freeze a hatchie or two was amazing (yule hatchie too cute!) It also meant I could get some nice 2nd gens on dragons I don't have CBs of and was too scared to release adults to hunt for more in case I ended up with none.

For me this year it was superb as I had oodles of time for hunting, exchanging, gifting and chatting and it did get me in the christmas spirit. I would love to see this implemented for valentines.

In general I think it's great but I feel sorry for the people who froze one of their CBs when they were released.

In general I think it's great but I feel sorry for the people who froze one of their CBs when they were released.

Ooooo I didn't even think of that D: At least 2nd gens are pretty valuable though, right? unsure.gif

This is only my second Christmas release and I was tickled with the limit release.I was able tocollect more, freeze a hatchling for each, and breed a bunch for others. None of which I could have done with the set limits. Yay!

To be honest i was extremely surprised by the lifting of the limit, but i believe it worked out well. I have noticed that many people hogged the eggies to themselves but oh well. but in my opinion it was a great idea.

I was originally really unhappy with lifting the limit, because it felt that much harder to catch a nicely lineaged egg from past Christmasses, especially on slow internet connections, but reading through this thread I actually saw some good arguments for it.

So in the end I have to say I don't mind it too much anymore. It's really nice for people to be able to keep offspring from their CBs, for lineages or freezing. And I think if the same happens in coming years there will be enough eggs for everyone from all the dragons that were hoarded this year by people who will definitely breed.

To be honest i was extremely surprised by the lifting of the limit, but i believe it worked out well. I have noticed that many people hogged the eggies to themselves but oh well. but in my opinion it was a great idea.

Well, of course - that was part of the point - that we could build up our collections - but many (like me !) bred who otherwise would not have done - because so many eggs in earlier years just died, so it seemed pointless - and the rest of their clutches went to the AP - FAR more eggs for others than previously.

I think it worked great, not just to help people participate and get hatchy sprites but to also clear some ap backlog. It makes me think the other holiday drops should be 3 days long xd.png

I was just checking back, out of curiosity. The new arrangement is GREAT.

I just discovered that TWO of my EVEN GEN hollies last year - ended up in the wild... That kind of thing was what made so many of us stop breeding. But ALL this years seem to have happy homes biggrin.gif

People who would never have bred their dragons actually bred them this year because they had a reason to for themselves. They can only keep one egg and the rest go to the AP. There were more hollies this year than last. A lot more. Last year a holly generally popped up a few times over the course of 40 minutes or so, if that. This year I actually saw some right after the other.

*happy sigh* I got every single 2nd-gen holiday combination on my wishlist. Next year I will breed beautiful 3rd-gen checkers till the AP bleeds red and green, LOL!

I also picked up an even-gen holly, but otherwise I traded the other hollies I caught off to other people. Checker holiday lineages were my highest priority this season. :-)

If the same thing happens for Valentine's, my happiness will double! :-D

I'm in love with the lifting of Holiday limits. I notice a LOT more Hollies in the AP this year and was able to grab quite a few really nice ones. Last year I didn't get a single one from the AP...now I have like 10 sitting on my scroll. My -new- goal is to have a dozen Holidays each, so next year I'll try to nab just a couple more Hollies and then work on the remaining Holiday dragons. Now my Christmas dragons will have lots of company and not look so lonely compared to all the other breeds on my scroll. biggrin.gif

I'm guessing with all the active players now having lots of nice Hollies - next year the AP will be lousy with pretty red eggs.

I absolutely loved the removal of bred Holiday limits. You can only keep one egg from a batch, so there were plenty I dropped for others to get. And I actually SAW some Hollies in the AP! I never saw them before. :'D

Well, of course - that was part of the point - that we could build up our collections - but many (like me !) bred who otherwise would not have done - because so many eggs in earlier years just died, so it seemed pointless - and the rest of their clutches went to the AP - FAR more eggs for others than previously.

TJ has said before that holiday eggs have never died from not being picked up. They were all eventually picked up from the AP.