DarkEternity

Lifting the Holiday limit

Love the lifting of the limit! I have quite a few hollies and gifted several others. Next year, I'm gonna gift the crap out people! biggrin.gif

In a word? YES!

In more words? Yes, yup, absolutely, certainly, uh huh, positively, and fer sure!

Plus, there are number of people who bred some fabulous lineages, and I picked up one or two. Thanks bunches to the holiday breeders, of which I was one.

Definitely worth it. I got some really great stuff.

I caught 17 Hollies (gifted 12) plus I bred my 1 and gifted it.

I ended up with 12 messy frozen hatchlings and 39 new adults (when they finish growing up). I'll be able to drop some great stuff next year.

This first year was, indeed, harder for people to catch, although many of us bred/caught and gifted a number of dragons, and many more people were breeding, with what seemed to me to be tons more Hollies appearing in the AP than in previous years.

Next year, there will be far more breds in the AP of all kinds, and a LOT of Hollies, relative to previous years, and I think we'll be back to an AP Holiday wall, just one that never gets a chance to build up in the 'back 40' - so, I'd say, yeah, totally and well worth it, especially in the long run.

I'm so confused right now I have no idea what was lifted from where and why everyone's so happy x'D

We used to be limited to only two of each Holiday breed. Now we aren't, and most of us are happy because we can collect lineages without sacrificing CBs anymore, or collect frozens without having to sacrifice an adult, or any of a number of other things. Plus, Hollies were apparently more common this year than they've been in the past, which is a good sign. All in all, it's pretty rad.

I don't know if this is how it will work for Valentines as well, but I hope that's the case. I'd like to have an army of Sweetlings...

I really, really love it. Last year I didn't even breed any of my holidays because of the holiday wall, but this year I bred them all so that a whole bunch of people could get some nice 2nd gens.

Also, I admit that I'm confused by the people saying it was much harder to catch a Holly this year-- I saw more Hollies on the AP this year than I'd ever seen before. There were times when there would be 4 or 5 of them at once! I may not have been able to catch one myself, but at least I had a decent chance at it and I ended up getting one through a trade for one of my other 2nd gen holidays, something I wouldn't have been able to do last year with the limits in place.

Also, I admit that I'm confused by the people saying it was much harder to catch a Holly this year-- I saw more Hollies on the AP this year than I'd ever seen before.  There were times when there would be 4 or 5 of them at once!

I agree, there were a LOT of Hollies in the cave this year. I also saw several clutches chase each other through the AP both on the first and the second day of the event.

But despite having a newer computer and faster connection than last year, I could not for the life of me catch even one. Or even catch any really nice 2nd gens of the other holidays. (all in all I managed to catch 5(!) other holidays all in all this season O.o) All I had to trade for.

In comparison - as I said earlier - I was able to catch 3 Hollies last year in less time than I had available this year, and several of my friends who'd not been there earlier years, were able to catch a lot of nice 2nd gen Holidays of any kind.

Not so much this year.

But I hope everybody is right and I'm just a pessimist. And I'm still happy that a lot of people did manage to catch what they were looking for biggrin.gif and as a side-note, omg the new Solstice dragon is utterly gorgeous.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

ETA: But looking for all the other comments, I guess it's just me who's either just negative or too slow *eyes newly caught CB Gold and shrugs* I'll be over in my corner, hoping that I'm wrong in my low expectations for next year.

Edited by Immaling

I think catching nice 2nd gens is somewhat a matter of luck, since when you grab an egg you have no idea what you're getting.

Getting eggs, fairly easy, getting nice ones, not so much.

I bet for every nice egg I grabbed I probably threw back a dozen messy ones first, lol.

When I think on some of the lineages I grabbed, winced at and threw back, I suspect it'll be *worse* next year. There were a *lot* of really messy lineages of all breeds going through the AP...

(Yeah, I'm a lineage snob.)

When I think on some of the lineages I grabbed, winced at and threw back, I suspect it'll be *worse* next year. There were a *lot* of really messy lineages of all breeds going through the AP...

(Yeah, I'm a lineage snob.)

Ooooh yes!

I just can't understand why people take a CB holiday dragon and breed it to a horribly messy common ._.

It can't be that hard to take another CB, right?

I too am really picky about lineages and threw almost everything I caught back to the AP. I caught some Hollies from the AP and gave all away (to people with zero Hollies) because I didn't liek the messy lineages.

Ooooh yes!

I just can't understand why people take a CB holiday dragon and breed it to a horribly messy common ._.

It can't be that hard to take another CB, right?

I too am really picky about lineages and threw almost everything I caught back to the AP. I caught some Hollies from the AP and gave all away (to people with zero Hollies) because I didn't liek the messy lineages.

From the look of many of them, I got the impression that the breeder had bred their two most favouritest dragons together with no clue that anyone else might look at the lineage and go "ouch". Ah well. Next year I might be more prepared and go on an epic freezing spree...

I have a terrible, terrible connection. I live away from the city, and my country has the particularity of getting the worst connection, and the most expensive one in the whole Europe. Hunting is so bad for me, I usually only do it in the AP because it can take somewhere between 10 seconds to a whole minute between refreshes (white screen along the way). This, and the fact I happen to have two left hands, has made hunting rares (even in the AP), totally impossible.

That said, I have been able to hunt many lovely second gens, and a couple of nice, even gens. I have seen hollies but hunted none because I'm not really interested in having more hollies (I like yulebucks, and the Solstice one).

Sure, competition was harder than in previous years (where there was no competition at all), but I also have seen more holly eggs this year than ever before (I remember a time when seeing one holly egg was like seeing the Ness Lake monster, everyone talked about it, you might get a glimpse, but you were never sure whether it was real, or a red dragon).

This made a lot of people happy, and the newbies will eventually get their holly. I missed the yulebuck release by joining 2 weeks after it was over, and I got my holly as a gift last year. I do not have a single CB gold, and the two golds I have are messy. It is a hard game, it implies being patient.

Edit; Because of typos.

Edited by DragonNighthowler

Absolutely yes. I can see why the limit is set each year for new Christmas Dragons as it is a hot commodity at a hard time of year for many to be on their computers but, after that, why not allow the old ones to be bred and kept over the two limit. There are some that I adored and wished I had more of for lineage purposes and this fulfills my wish. Thanks TJ. biggrin.gif

I've tried to catch Hollies for 3 years on DC, now. The past two years, I didn't manage to catch a single one. This year, I somehow caught 9, and gifted them all, each to a user who had no Hollies. My connection isn't the fastest -- usually too slow for me to even see a CB Gold in the cave before it's snatched; I see them maybe once every 2 or 3 months -- but I'm *sure* it was the limit lifting that helped me out this year! And all those other Holly-less players, as well!

I caught a whole bunch of nice 2nd gens by mistake when I was trying to get Hollies and accidentally misclicked. I just didn't have much luck when it came to catching Hollies; I caught lots of other holidays. tongue.gif

Hard to catch anything with 300 people and a laggy browser, but I'm still happy I can collect sprites and breed nice things for others not worrying about the 1-day teleport limit. All these Heartseekers WILL be eventually mine. >:3

Of course they're harder to catch, but I don't mind that. I'm glad we can at least now have a frozen hatchie or two of each holiday.

Yes, yes, yes. I enjoyed it at Christmas, but Valentine's is the DC holiday that I care the most amount. Sweetlings. <3 So I'm glad that the limits weren't just lifted for Christmas.

I'm super stoked about this. I missed the Christmas event this year, but Valentine's is going great so far, even though you gotta be a ninja.gif to catch something. I admit, I do have quite a fast connection so I've even been able to pick and choose somewhat... it's great. Now I can make loads of pretty lineages and do naming projects and have good mates for 2nd gens from holidays and hoard tons of Sweetlings, yay!!

Edited by Orlageddon

I love the fact the limit is lifted after an event has passed <3 It encourages all the pretty lineages that pop up, and for people who might not have been around for that holiday, it lets them gather up what they want/need. And for those collectors, means they can get frozen hatchlings now, as they might not have been willing to sacrifice a hatchling the year they came out, for sake of breeding projects.

I'm sad.

Utterly sad.

I always sacrificed one dragon and freezed it so that I could enjoy the hatchling stage.

So now I have a frozen CB of older Holiday dragons. Greeeeeat.

Now I just wish I wouldn't have done that the past years, because the only thing I can get is another 2nd gen adult ._.;

Otherwise the update is great... at least from now on (haha) I can keep two CB adults and create nice lineages.

Rather pleased, to be honest. The only holiday event I've been consistently excited about has been Halloween, because then I could do something and hunt for something. Valentines in 2009 was interesting because new event; Christmas in 2008 was also interesting because new dragons. But every year after, it kinda... sucked. 'cos everyone else had their shot at hunting in the AP for pretties, and I just had nothing to do until the new breeds would drop.

I'm not too fond of Valentines and most of the Christmas holidays, but the possibility of being able to hunt in the AP for lineaged things - I really like that. Even if I'm not going to do it as much as others, the option is nice. So, I think it was worth it.

Yes, I am very pleased. It is much more fun being able to catch dragons instead of simply breeding mine and sitting there all week until the new release.