DarkEternity

Lifting the Holiday limit

When I last posted here I was on the fence (but ultimately though it was a good change), because I was having a hard time catching things with so many people in the AP. Between catching Holidays with lineages I don't want then trading them, and from the generosity of other players, I have changed my mind. Surely being able to have more this year, means next year, more dragons can be bred by active players? Well, I hope so anyway. I agree with the two new release limit though! I am also glad to know that if I ever plan to gift or trade someone a holiday egg, that it won't be abandoned before they can pick it up! Last time I bred a specific holiday egg for someone prior to this event, I had to make sure they were online first, not easy considering the time zone difference many players have.

I am going to put the effort into building some nice checkerboard lineages with one of my favourite dragons. Initially I was fairly apprehensive about building a lineage with holiday dragons, and let's face it, I didn't want to release caveborn dragons for the possibility of a nice checker. Now I can keep my CB's and breed nice checkers that other players will hopefully like too. Sure, it might take some organisation to ensure I get the eggs I want every special release breeding season, but it'd be worth it. I might even be more enthusiastic about Halloween lineages! :3

I am going to put the effort into building some nice checkerboard lineages with one of my favourite dragons. Initially I was fairly apprehensive about building a lineage with holiday dragons, and let's face it, I didn't want to release caveborn dragons for the possibility of a nice checker. Now I can keep my CB's and breed nice checkers that other players will hopefully like too. Sure, it might take some organisation to ensure I get the eggs I want every special release breeding season, but it'd be worth it.

Same goes for me. And I actually think that (on long term) it will be more effective to provide that newer players will get the older Holiday breeds, too, and maybe with more pretty lineages. I have checked my CB Snow Angels' offspring and during the last years I have send 10 2nd gens to the AP, plus 5 from this year. But none of these 10 2nd gens was ever bred during the holiday season. Now I kept one 2nd gen and I will do a checker, so that I can breed pretty 3rd gens next year, too, which gives me the possibility to send even more eggs into the AP. And I will definitely do so, unless something really bad happens do me during the next year.

Don't like it. There will now be ten times as many people hunting for Hollies, so my chance of getting even one has just gone out the window.

I don't think the number of actual Holly hunters has increased. Thanks to the raffles, there are enough Hollies that people are getting picky about lineage, and so many of those who already have their pair would still be in trading threads seeking to 'upgrade', and would have been releasing one of their current dragons to make room. Plus, there are the people who would freeze a hatchling--even a Holly--to meet their scroll goals.

Both would be in competition for new Hollies, but there'd be one less Holly adding to the breeding pool because of it.

The elimination of limits this year promises a Holly breeding boom next year. smile.gif

Edited by schmupti

I really do not think this is a benefit for the newer players, however it is a huge plus for older players though.

Perhaps? I managed to breed 4 eggs from Bilbo x Snow Angel, so I kept one and just wondered where the rest went. I hope they got good homes... smile.gif

I really do not think this is a benefit for the newer players, however it is a huge plus for older players though.

ALL the new players I know (I brought them here) are thrilled to bits and enjoying themselves a lot. And although I wasn't in favour of NO limits at all, I think the combo of only 2 of the new ones and unlimited older ones makes it OK.

@ Firerubynat - you can click on the eggs - some may show the new owner's names...

Perhaps? I managed to breed 4 eggs from Bilbo x Snow Angel, so I kept one and just wondered where the rest went. I hope they got good homes... smile.gif

Oh man, kicking myself for missing them - I have the right colour Snow Angels and everything. rolleyes.gif

Eh, I'm kind of on the fence about it for now.

On one hand, now it'll make it easier to do lineages and stuff with holiday dragons. And now people don't have to sit there and stew in frustration over the fact that they can't grab an egg because they already reached their limit.

On another, it makes trying to grab an egg a lot more challenging now. (Hence why I spent the last half-hour vainly trying to grab a holly egg.)

But I do hope they consider doing the same thing with Valentine dragons....because dang it, some of those sprites are just too pretty for me to limit myself to two of them.

Edited by azila

Just like I though .. no way I can get an freaking Holly egg  mad.gif I'm handicapped,clicking my hand to pain all because I want that dumb egg ! And that since the day that Dragcave started to release those egg .. You would say .. you could already being lucky to have one,well not me ! And the drama continious ! Soon those eggs are gone,but I have pain ... Unfair that I can't get that Holly egg !

A mate of mine with lifelong RA who can barely move her fingers and has a very old and shaky machine has caught two. And please don't keep begging - that isn't likely to get you gifted anything, I fear.

There is no "fairness" in the game - no-one has "rights"; there is very often generosity (I was gifted my first two without posting - I did have a wish in my sig; that was all.)

There are DAYS to go yet. No need to give up. I am on a rubbish connection, with a very dodgy mouse - and I've caught one. It took HOURS but I did.

Edited by fuzzbucket

I'm loving it.

My scroll is full of hollies and I can understand the jealousy. I've also put in 40+ hours catching and trading.

It's the first year, its bound to have growing pains for sure. Later years will be easier because there will be even more to go around (and some really pretty lineages!). This game is about patience and keeping yourself calm, the more you get frustrated at yourself for missing the more you will miss.

Take a break for a bit. Go away and eat, drink, take a bath, whatever to clear the cobwebs from your head. It helps. Come back with a fresh head and eyes.

And never check the lineage of what you missed, just close the tab and keep going. That way only leads to heartache. Believe me, I know.

If I don't have one before they stop with these Christmas eggs .. I GO WILD ON THIS FORUM ! Let them not stop untill I got one ! I'm busy to get one about 6 hours a day ! Without succes ! That's idiotic ! Do something about it admins,let me have one too !

People are breeding all the time, and people are missing them all the time. That's dragcave for you (the CAVE is not releasing them; breeders are.)

Aw man! I missed them! Darn xd.png maybe I can snag a pretty like that next year. Can't be too upset though, I got some real pretties this year like two pretty lineaged hollies, 2nd gen ribbon x gold, etc. I am very happy with no limits, I had terrible luck last year getting eggs. It seems to have made a difference for me at least...plus I can now get all the hatchies!

Edited by Sirithiliel

ALL the new players I know (I brought them here) are thrilled to bits and enjoying themselves a lot. And although I wasn't in favour of NO limits at all, I think the combo of only 2 of the new ones and unlimited older ones makes it OK.

...All the new players I know and a couple older players are stressing out because they can barely get any good lineages -- or at least ones they want -- from the AP. And when they do find it usually it's taken. Also when they're around longer they're going to want to seek nicer, better lineages than the ones they have now if they got any messies. I think the problem with unlimit was that there's just not that much CBs from the older gens to really go around. As I said it's really more of a benefit for the older players than new players because the older players are more likely to already have more of the Christmas CBs than the newer players and they'll be going for lineages.

Same with hollies. Most will try getting better lineages than the one they already own and if they get any messy extras they'll try and trade for a lower gen.

I hunted for about 8 of my own eggs and it was very hard and frustrating getting the ones I needed. Yes, I know you don't need to get a nice lineage to have a dragon, but I do care about my dragon's lineage as I do believe others do. The rest of my eggs I was kindly gifted from close friends/IRC/trade IOUs. To them I thank them very much. smile.gif

And yes anyone can be happy and thrilled about any new release or update. Buuuut that fades pretty quickly afterwards most of the time...

I liked what one forumer said earlier about how TJ should have made it so that players that don't have 2 of a certain christmas breed would get a chance to get eggs the first few days and then the rest could have been for the older, experienced players the last days of the breeding. That I would have no problem at all with. smile.gif

Edited by Saynna

It just drives me insane that some people got more then one holly ... it's not fair,I just want one .. no more ! Some people need to learn to be happy with only one ! So that others got an more fair change to get an egg !

Everybody gets to play this game the way they want to. I didn't get my first holly until last year, and it was my FIFTH Christmas season of trying. My first one was a gracious gift from another forum member, who was offering to breed her hollies for those who had none. I still haven't bred any of my christmas dragons and will likely do the same. Keep trying on the AP and watch the departures, take-an-egg leave-an-egg thread, and maybe the IRC for somebody who is giving away some. These things take time and effort and sometimes good manners, and complaining isn't going to get you anything nice.

My thought on making the older players wait is that the will also wait to breed then too, so that they can keep one of their eggs, whether for trading or what not. So the eggs hitting the AP will still be the messier ones =/ and the nicer ones appearing once the older players can grab eggs

It just drives me insane that some people got more then one holly ... it's not fair,I just want one .. no more ! Some people need to learn to be happy with only one ! So that others got an more fair change to get an egg !

For goodness sake, you joined a month and a half ago!

If I ever had any intention to gift you a holly (and I had), it's totally gone now. Just... stop!

If I don't have one before they stop with these Christmas eggs .. I GO WILD ON THIS FORUM ! Let them not stop untill I got one ! I'm busy to get one about 6 hours a day ! Without succes ! That's idiotic ! Do something about it admins,let me have one too !

@bolded text: That's not really a smart idea. I mean you could try and see what happens but I don't think you'll like what happens. o.o

Anyways, there are a lot of players that haven't been able to get a single holly for years.. You're fairly new. I suggest you stop posting things like this because the moderators will do something and it will be something you won't like. =/

My thought on making the older players wait is that the will also wait to breed then too, so that they can keep one of their eggs, whether for trading or what not. So the eggs hitting the AP will still be the messier ones =/ and the nicer ones appearing once the older players can grab eggs

Yes indeed - they WILL wait and make arrangements for later, with people they know can trade with them - so it will make no difference at all. I did breed early, because I had a holly list, and I bred pretty ones for that. (I didn't even get to keep one of my own, as my gifts were already promised - and still are, through 2016 !)

But the ones I had already were gifted - spontaneously from people here. When you don't ask, you very often get.

I wrote someone here,but I was second ... WHY ME ! Not fair .. just give me an damn holly egg. ~Censor evasion removed~ !

Go ahead admins,I don't give an crap about that you block me'. People don't wanna help me out here,not fair ! Need to wait another year,20 years .. never ! ~Censor evasion removed~ you !

It is not the admins' fault that you cannot get a single egg. You really need to take a break and relax because you are saying words you really do not mean and will regret in a few hours. It's almost Christmas and you're swearing around. :|

Edited by _Z_

I wrote someone here,but I was second ... WHY ME ! Not fair .. just give me an damn holly egg. ~Censor evasion removed~ !

Go ahead admins,I don't give an crap about that you block me'. People don't wanna help me out here,not fair ! Need to wait another year,20 years .. never !~Censor evasion removed~you !

I waited two years and never posted like this. MANY people here waited a LOT longer. Many older players have been here since the start of the game and don't have one.

Calm down, put a note in your sig; go to the holiday gifting thread - or something.

You'd best not try for a GoN; that really will drive you insane.

By the way - there are people here who can read Dutch - and that is fairly inexcusable language.

Edited by _Z_

I can't believe I actually have a chance to do what I do best on the next Christmas, with all of these wonderful Hollies that have been kindly donated by people who don't want them.

Sure, it has its own share of problems. AP competition has been even more fierce than Halloween due to the lower base of dragons, but I think that will straighten itself out in a few years like the Hollies themselves did. Prices for low-gen hollies also seem to went up due to various reasons related to the limit lift, which is unfortunately a side-effect that we must cope with.

user posted image

But the ones I had already were gifted - spontaneously from people here. When you don't ask, you very often get.

Aye. I don't collect Hollies (don't like the sprite) so I'm thankfully saved from the scramble to get them. laugh.gif But I got two gifted to me from friends and got to pass them on to people who didn't have any, which was awesome. (Thanks, guys! You know who you are. smile.gif )

Though I've been tempted to try getting a nice one just so I can breed it for others next year, but... I'd need to put up with the sprite, then. Wouldn't be the first time I'm doing that, but still. ninja.gif

It took me three years to get my first Holly and I know I was lucky to get one that early. And I managed to catch my two after hours and hours of trying when I had a day off from work, so I count myself really lucky to have grabbed them out of the AP. It takes patience and yelling at people isn't going to make them want to give you an egg =\

I can't believe I actually have a chance to do what I do best on the next Christmas, with all of these wonderful Hollies that have been kindly donated by people who don't want them.

Sure, it has its own share of problems. AP competition has been even more fierce than Halloween due to the lower base of dragons, but I think that will straighten itself out in a few years like the Hollies themselves did. Prices for low-gen hollies also seem to went up due to various reasons related to the limit lift, which is unfortunately a side-effect that we must cope with.

Wow that sure is a lot of hollies ohmy.gif

Back on topic.

Members:

It is best to ignore off topic posts/rants until a mod can deal with your reports.

Edited by _Z_