DarkEternity

Lifting the Holiday limit

I admit I wasn't sure at first but I like it now. smile.gif Now I can make some mini checkers with my holiday dragons and can freeze a couple (I think the S1 Yulebuck is adorable and the S1 snow angel makes me think of a ferret). I deliberately hunted the AP for inbred/long/messy lineaged eggs so I can freeze a couple of hatchies. Anything decent was tossed back (except for one snow angel with a lineage that I love).

I've bred all my Christmas dragons and tossed most of their eggs into the AP. I usually breed mine and toss the eggs for others to enjoy.

I didn't catch one holly this year, but got three gifted. that makes me happy

(those had been meant to be freezelings anyway, due to messy lineage)

SO SO happy we can get more than two holidays now. FINALLY I can freeze hatchlings!

I'm liking the change so far. I had a couple of messy Christmas dragons that I was planning to release this year, the thought of which was breaking my heart a little. I'm glad I get to keep them while still getting some nicer lines. smile.gif

PS - I have been playing since 2008 (albeit including a long hiatus), and I did not have Hollies or even any realistic plans of getting a Holly this year. In the first two hours of Christmas breeding, I got randomly gifted two (and next year, their babies will be randomly gifted)! Wait and ye shall receive, 'tis the season, and all that. wink.gif

It's a great undea, but I was surprised it went from 2 to unlimited, particularly for hollies.

I dunno why wrapping wings seem to be the hardest to snag, I don't think I've caught any and only have my two adults and one I bred. I can't breed anymore either, there was a mix up with someone taking an egg from me, said they already had it, so a few minutes later I looked my eggs over, bred and got autoabandoned.I could have sworn that first egg was gone dry.gif

I think it's interesting. I'm happy with my 2 of each.... which is why I just bred ALL my Christmas dragons and released all the eggs. And all of the eggs are of Dorkface lineage. At least 4 of the Holly eggs will be Thuwed as well.

Edited by Surreal SaDiablo

I think it's a good idea, but I'm only getting one of each. After that, well I'm working my way through the caveblockers.

I love the lifting of the limit. It has come at a good time with more hollys around as more people catch lineaged ones each year and breed them. I caught two in the AP after trying and missing for the last 4 years. It's great to see many more of them available.

I have a plan to get 4 of each breed and frozen hatchies. Will take a couple of years to do, but that isn't a worry. Lifting the limit will make xmas on DC more exciting now. Thank you for doing it for us all.

I suspect that a lot more people are breeding their Hollies because now they can keep an egg, or do a blood-swap.

Next year, with luck, we'll be flooded in them, lol.

I love it but hate it for many of the reasons stated above.

I love it because I can now freeze the hatchlings because I love how they look. I hate it because no one that does not have a Holly can even catch one now in AP. I had one given to me and I am happy but have yet to catch a second one and even my three girls do not have one though my youngest is Egg locked so she could not get one at the moment anyway. Also it is good because you can get CB of some of the Rares that would always be gone when there where more than 8 people in a Biome.

I would love to get a second Holly on my scroll and at least one Holly on two of my girls scrolls. That is okay though next year I will breed mine then send one to each of my girls.

I'm indifferent. I still somewhat feel bad for keeping a holly for example. I'm not paying much attention to christmas eggs to be honest. I always had 2 of each, why should I want more now? So I'm just going to aim for cute lineages

Kinda inbetween.

This being my first Christmas here is rather frustrating because now I can't catch anything at all. Everything I have is gifts.

On the other hand, next year there will be more to breed. :/ I'm torn.

And I'm sure most of the new players feel similar.

This is only my second holiday release, and I'm definitely having a rockier experience than I did during Halloween- then, as time went on, catching dragons in the AP seemed to get easier, eventually getting to the point of developing full-on holiday egg walls. Now, however, I'm having no luck trying to catch eggs after incuhatching my first batch, even when I'm trying for more recent species or messy and/or inbred lineages.

The relatively small breeding pool (no one having more than two of any given breed prior to this year), together with the decreased impetus to keep slots free (since no one will be able to catch more than two at the new release) and the increased demand means that even with multiclutching it's difficult for the supply side to keep up. If this change is retained, most of this will probably smooth out over time, with the rarer old breeds becoming more populous (though low-gens will continue to be prized) and each year's new dragon being relatively rare and in demand in the next year after.

In the meantime, though, we're stuck with a transitional period, and those are always weird. I can't even imagine how odd this must feel to all of you long-term players who have been through previous Christmas releases.

This is only my second holiday release, and I'm definitely having a rockier experience than I did during Halloween- then, as time went on, catching dragons in the AP seemed to get easier, eventually getting to the point of developing full-on holiday egg walls. Now, however, I'm having no luck trying to catch eggs after incuhatching my first batch, even when I'm trying for more recent species or messy and/or inbred lineages.

The relatively small breeding pool (no one having more than two of any given breed prior to this year), together with the decreased impetus to keep slots free (since no one will be able to catch more than two at the new release) and the increased demand means that even with multiclutching it's difficult for the supply side to keep up. If this change is retained, most of this will probably smooth out over time, with the rarer old breeds becoming more populous (though low-gens will continue to be prized) and each year's new dragon being relatively rare and in demand in the next year after.

In the meantime, though, we're stuck with a transitional period, and those are always weird. I can't even imagine how odd this must feel to all of you long-term players who have been through previous Christmas releases.

We were only EVER able to get two of the new release; we only EVER had to keep two slots free.

And I know I have bred all mine this year (except for the one I still need to do for myself as I am very locked!), given that we could keep and trade - last year I didn't, as so many would just DIE. I know many other players who have bred for the first time for a long while, because people will actually be able to keep them.

We were only EVER able to get two of the new release; we only EVER had to keep two slots free.

And I know I have bred all mine this year (except for the one I still need to do for myself as I am very locked!), given that we could keep and trade - last year I didn't, as so many would just DIE. I know many other players who have bred for the first time for a long while, because people will actually be able to keep them.

I'm aware of that- I was just drawing a connection between those factors (relatively lower supply/relatively higher demand) and the fact that holiday hunting is noticeably more frenetic than it was for Halloweens, which have had the capacity to be both caught and bred in greater numbers.

I wasn't even trying to say that this change is a bad thing, just that if TJ keeps this change then the patterns that we're seeing this year are unlikely to hold in the long term, and that anyone trying to decide 'was it worth it?' should consider not only this season, but the ones to come.

Lifting the holiday limit turned out to be a great thing for me. I caught a bunch of randomly lineaged Holly eggs, traded them for nice things, and then traded those nice things for a 2nd gen Holly. If the limits had stayed in place, I'd have never been able to do that.

Now, I have finally achieved my DC Christmas dream--two 2nd gen Holly eggs, both with white mothers. I guess I have to come up with a new goal now.

I'm aware of that- I was just drawing a connection between those factors (relatively lower supply/relatively higher demand) and the fact that holiday hunting is noticeably more frenetic than it was for Halloweens, which have had the capacity to be both caught and bred in greater numbers.

I wasn't even trying to say that this change is a bad thing, just that if TJ keeps this change then the patterns that we're seeing this year are unlikely to hold in the long term, and that anyone trying to decide 'was it worth it?' should consider not only this season, but the ones to come.

And I was just saying that because MANY people who weren't breeding before now ARE doing so, that should balance it out biggrin.gif

GEEZ Renorei - LUCKY you !

I am just against this change.

It means that it's even harder for me to get holiday eggs in the AP.

More users are just hoarding these,and now there's no limit to the amounts they can take.

After 1 hour of refreshing,I only got 5 eggs.

I only actually clicked on 4,I suppose my fast clicking got me 2 in the same go.

More users are just hoarding these,and now there's no limit to the amounts they can take.

I only actually clicked on 4,I suppose my fast clicking got me 2 in the same go.

But there are far more being bred because of the change. I would not have bred any but the Hollies I had promised as gifts, if the change had not happened. Because most of the ones I bred last year died. And I wasn't prepared to breed to the grave again sad.gif

It's actually pretty normal in this game to have to click for an hour to get 5 eggs-- at least during new releases, which holiday breeding events essentially are. :-)

Not a huge fan, makes it so much harder to hunt for hollies. At least before there was that chance that people refresh spam clicking already has the dragon, not anymore.

I personally really like this new change. I think holly hunting is the easiest it has even been this year, having been here every Christmas since '09. I'm just excited for next year when I'll be able to gift from a huge breeding stock!

I'm happy with it. I always wanted a frozen hatchling in each stage so now I get my wish.

The other great thing is I'm getting more holiday adults, which means next year I can bred them and get more eggs out to people.

Hopefully this idea will be shared by everyone and next year there will be tons of holiday eggs available for everyone.

I like the change. I've always wanted to freeze some of the holiday hatchlings and they're fun collecting.

I think the people complaining about how hard it is to get a holly must not have been here last year, either. Then, not only was it very hard to catch them in the AP, but NO ONE would trade you a holly for another holiday lineage, because they were unable to take any more holiday breeds. Now, though they're still difficult to catch in the AP, you can trade any nicely-lineaged holiday dragon for a holly in the trade threads.