DarkEternity

Lifting the Holiday limit

And don't forget, this is only the first day of the Event. As more people come to the site and realize Christmas breeding has started more eggs will start showing up. There always seems to be more eggs on day 2 as opposed to day 1.

I really don't understand why people are flipping tables over hollies. I have the slowest connection of any of my friends, and I somehow snagged my first-ever one. It's totally possible. It's been less than 24 hours since it began, you have over a week, and people will be filling their scrolls up. Just breathe.

I missed easily over 200 Hollies last night, and maybe another 50-75 this morning, and then.. blink.gif

I caught one! biggrin.gif Weird lag, wonky internet, cramps in my hands, and the mouse is 8 years old. Seriously, if I can do it, anyone can! wink.gif

I'm very glad that TJ made the changes that he did regarding the limits. For a few more years, eggs like Hollies will still likely be difficult to catch. However, with active breeders now able to keep more than two, they will also have more available to breed the following year. Since breeders can still only keep one from a clutch, the rest will be abandoned. Over time, this should increase a player's chance to get that elusive rare holiday dragon.

Absolutely in love with this change. As previously mentioned by others in this thread, it's a great way to keep veteran players engaged in the holidays. I've pined after many lovely lineages (and yes, at the chance to freeze Yulebuck and Holly hatchies xd.png ). Finally, progress can be made! It's also a huge boon to the Ghosts of Christmas Past lineage project; I was afraid it would start becoming more limited with fewer new members to take on the bred holiday eggs. Now this has given so much more potential for continuing our multi-year holiday lineages. ;A; Of course, I'm still almost bouncing in my chair trying to figure out exactly how I'm going to proceed with all this. Gah! (In only the best ways haha!). xd.png

I'm also a fan of keeping CB holiday dragons limited to 2 per scroll. That keeps the appeal of 'being there' for the new drop, and keeps the CB versions more 'rare' and unique. Best compromise, and best DC event so far IMHO.

I think so. Lineages have become such a big thing in the last few years, it was a shame that such pretty dragons couldn't be used in them for the most part. The fact that the CBs are still limited makes them special enough IMO.

I love it! I can now do my freezing goals and attempt to hoard holly breeding fodder and 2nd gen snow angels from CB luminas.

I'm no too sure because there's hardly any holiday egg in the AP that stays longer than one second and there are still so many cave blockers

This. But I guess it's better than a wall... I guess. >_>

I'd prefer we still have a limit (just a much larger one than 2) but I'm the only one out there thay seems to think this.

Edited by Ninetails

Don't like it. There will now be ten times as many people hunting for Hollies, so my chance of getting even one has just gone out the window.

I think I'd rather it be increased but not lifted completely. Still, I love the opportunity to get frozens. Just wish I had faster internet.

I was on the fence initially, especially as I released past Christmas dragons such as the Yulebuck and Snow Angel from lineages I didn't really like. I am kicking myself for that, but it wasn't as if I foresaw the limit being removed.

I was having insane trouble catching 2G Holidays from breeds that I wanted (Yulebuck, Snow Angel) to the point where I simply gave up - instead focusing on the Snow Wars event. Luckily for me there are some generous people out there, one whom I swapped with, the other whom gifted me an egg, even though I requested it, I still appreciate this very generous gesture. I didn't even consider attempting to request a Holly, my luck in the AP was terrible with Yules and Snow Angels, I saved myself the disappointment of searching for a Holly (although I did try catching them, I certainly didn't try asking for one), they were the only breed of dragon I have never been able to catch, not even the messy super inbred ones. This year however, I was gifted one. From a very generous user whom I feel like I owed already for a previous trade, even if they were happy to accept my offer. I simply cannot express my words of gratitude for gifting me something so out of the blue - I'll have a difficult time finding a mate for it, but nonetheless I will try so that next year I can pay it forward.

I guess in the end, I am not going to whine about something that I cannot change. I think it is fantastic that all of the Holiday dragons will finally have loving homes. I didn't even breed my Ribbon Dancers and Winter Magis on the first day for fear of them being killed, as some of the Holiday offspring I bred in the past disappeared from the progeny list (prior to tombstones staying in lineages). All but one of my CB Christmas dragons have plans for them now, at least I know they will have a loving home. Considering I have obtained four of my six 'wished for' Christmas holiday dragons, I couldn't ask for a better Christmas, even if catching eggs is more difficult. smile.gif

Edited by VampiricOmen

Is it strange that I found Holly-catching immensely easy this year? Yes, for the first ten minutes of clicking on literally every Holly that showed up in the AP with one-second intervals between refreshes, it's difficult, but it only took a little bit of persistence to snag two, actually.

I'm not too fond of Hollies, honestly, just personal preference (though they are nonetheless a special and wonderful aspect of the Cave), and just snagged two this year to work towards completing my scroll (ugh Neglected... why you so evasive?). I might try catching and gifting Hollies this year maybe, though I'm not quite sure yet and so is not committing to anything as of right now...

I support the lift. After all, it gives a home to that AP-full all-day list of eggs and provides equal opportunity for those who aspire to collect more Holidays. It also is pro-trading-- previously it's extremely difficult to trade Holidays because of the limit.

Also for those who were unsuccessful in obtaining the striped or non-striped versions of the Snow Angel, it provides an opportunity to complete their scrolls without releasing dragons (<-- I really don't want to do that... really don't want to...); I'm working on mass-obtaining the less-sought-after breed so I can get a striped version to complete my scroll. (I hope it's not in too high demand... if so, I'll slow my catching. I don't think so, though, as trading usually doesn't involve normal-lineaged Snow Angel eggs...)

Either which way, I still love Dragon Cave and appreciate all that the staff have done for us. It is a free site with little advertising, beautiful art, and complex coding. It's wonderful, and I feel like either way we've got to be thankful for all that TJ09 and staff have done for us.

Edited by alphawolfhuskee

As has been pointed out, while it's more difficult catching most holidays than it was previously, due to not having a massive wall to pick through at leisure, next year, there will be far more dragons available for people to breed.

It seems to me as though far more Hollies were being bred, now that people breeding can keep more, and I've been able to gift several catches and have a couple more for gifting, and a nice 2nd Holly for myself, (next year's egg promised almost as soon as caught, lol) while able to still keep the eternal hope of finding a nicely-mated, go-with-anything 2nd gen Holly alive.

I'd suggest that those of us who haven't yet bred and don't have specific plans for the kept offspring consider posting them on Departure threads, so that those unable to catch on the AP have a chance at those.

Looking for people who have recently posted such inability helps some, but not everyone in that position posts.

Personally, I'm waiting another day or so to breed most of my dragons, because a specific giftee is currently full, and will likely be handing gifted offspring directly to people, but while there are one or two babies I might like to keep, if not going to specific sources, any others will likely go on the Departure Boards, rather than joining any brood-mates on the AP.

And if anyone has any brilliant suggestions as to how to try to make sure that everyone has dragon-loaded merriness this Christmas, I hope they'll post their methods.

Yeah. Once the limit-free Christmas gets some traction, we'll be back to having holiday egg walls in the AP. Only reason there's not this year is because we've got the combination of everyone only having two of each dragon and everyone being able to grab whatever they like.

Catching'll be hard this year, but never again after.

Except for Hollies. People will always be hungry for Hollies.

So, so, so worth it.

First of all, I'm a lineage snob, so the ability to FINALLY use holidays in real lineages is putting me through the roof with joy. I'm plotting checkerboards like mad and have been swapping for eggs.

I'm also really glad that I won't have to release my ugly, long-lineaged, inbred Holly now to get a better lineage. I gave her a description and so I'm very attached to her and didn't want to cast her aside, but it was going to limit me to just one Holly with a nice lineage. Now I can accumulate. smile.gif Also, I really prefer to give my Holly babies away rather than trade them, so this gives me the ability to get more so that next year I can give more. (Incidentally, I think they are becoming more common anyway - I've been seeing a lot of them in the AP and floating around the trade forums)

I do remember that my first DC Christmas, I was basically given all of my holidays (by none other than the fabulous Syphoneira, by the way). I've made a couple of trades of regular breeds to get a bunch of holidays, but I'm hoping to give away or swap the offspring of my adult holidays to newbies who are having trouble.

And I want a tiny army of frozen Yulebucks because those are the most adorable hatchlings in the universe.

Finally, I'm very glad that we still have the 2 CB limit. It keeps the Christmas (and, I assume, Valentine) dragons special, it keeps this year's dragon from becoming waaaaay more common than those of previous years, and it just seems to fit. Plus, I'll be able to stack up on more from the previous year since I won't feel the pressure to use ALL my egg slots on the new dragon. smile.gif

So. Yeah. I'm really incredibly happy with this turn of events. I would like to see a one-time unfreezing ability given to those who froze a CB holiday before the change, though it won't apply to me, but overall I think this is just fantastic.

I'm loving it... I've made specific requests for a linage that I'm going to enjoy building immensely.

And if I get really, really lucky.. i'll either catch or get gifted the elusive 2nd gen Holly I've always wanted but have never been able to catch.

I like the fact that the limit has been lifted on the Older Dragons. I feel this will make a lot of players happy in that they can finally complete sprite goals, and still have dragons to breed. I know I'm content as I can get some to freeze (but I'm in debate if I want to freeze a Holly as male, female, or no gender (or all 3) - that is, if I can catch them)

I also feel like this will mean even more Holiday dragons each year being given back to the AP with better lineages - as people can now keep an egg and keep lineages going.

I was hoping that in addition to lifting the limits, TJ would grant a one-time unfreezing for those S2 CB holiday hatchies we froze in the years before. I froze mine because I thought the limits would be a forever thing, and I loved the sprite so much.

On the other hand, I think it is a good thing the limits were lifted.

I totally agree with this!

I also froze one of each of my christmas dragons because we could only have two and I wanted a frozen hatchie on my scroll but I regret it now that the limits have been raised unsure.gif

A one-time unfreezing would be fantastic!

It is absolutely worth it! I have a few lineages that were just decorative because I couldn't continue them with only being allowed two holiday dragons. Now I have even more projects in the years to come, and that makes me very happy!

On the other hand, as many of you have already stated, I either released or only bothered to catch one CB Christmas because I thought the limit would always be in effect. That kind of stinks, but my happiness over frozen hatchlings to complete my collection definitely overrides that.

Hopefully this will increase the Holly population. I've seen quite a lot of them this year, and even caught one myself (which is a miracle all by itself - I'm almost completely blind, so AP catching is tough for me).

I apologize if I'm not allowed to say this, but I hope the limit is lifted for Valentine's day, too (what an awesome birthday present that would be!).

I think lifting the limits was a good thing. I'm not afraid to gift now with the concern that if the giftee doesn't pick up right away, it could mean one of my adults is the price.

This also means more lineage building happy.gif I'm def. not going overboard on lineage collection, but I've found a few select eggs that I do plan on keeping, and that I actually get to keep because of no limits.

One of the other big concerns with lifting the limit was that younger players wouldn't have a chance at the Christmas dragons to help fill their slots of past year dragons. However, after watching where some of my eggs have landed, I'm very pleased to see that over half are going to bronze level scrolls. New folks don't seem to be ultra suffering from a huge lack of Christmas eggs.

Of course, a certain well desired Christmas breed is as hard to catch as ever, but there's nothing new in that happy.gif

i think it was!! I havent been able to grab any holly or a nice lineaged yulebuck (trew back the messy ones), but have grabbed a lot of the other xmas dragons, all 2nd or nice 3rd gen. biggrin.gif and gifted a lot of 2nd gen xmas dragons too i didnt want.

Didnt know they would be this hard to catch tho lol, its AP madness in there.

waiting for my 2nd batch of eggs to hatch so i can get a last batch

I caught a few hollies, traded for a few other things, and gifted a few more hollies. It was nice to be able to give people rare things. smile.gif I remember what it was like to have a crappy connection, so it's great to be able to give back this year.

Definitely worth it. I haven't caught the second-gen Holly I'm hunting for yet but I'm so pleased I can collect more Yulebucks- They're my favourite Holiday dragon. smile.gif

Absolutely!

This way

1. people will be able to continue their Holidays' lineages

2. people who already had two of all previous holidays are able to so something different that watching the AP locked by a wall of eggs no one is able to take

3. people can breed their past holidays without fearing all their offsprings will die because no one can take them

4. people can now collect frozen Holiday hatchlings without having to release one of their adults

All of this! Exactly!!!

I so very love it!

I had no time at all to hunt for a Holly that year, cause I am too busy getting 2nd gen floaty Christmasdragons but still. :3 I can finally freeze the S1 sprites too, build Holiday checkers and just have something to do around christmas time. :3

Also I expect it to become more and more easy to get the elusive Hollies, now that more can be grabbed and bred. The quality of their lineages however, I fear, will drop even more. laugh.gif

I also like the aspect that we are still only able to get 2 CB ones on their release year. (if I understood that correctly). Takes out the pressure of hunting during days that are supposed to be spent in RL. ;3