Red2111

Copper Dragon Breeding

I'm liking that orange copper's name wink.gif.

His code has JAD in it, and him being an orange/red Copper, I thought it fitted. smile.gif

Just bred a green Copper to a Trihorn (Alpine Biome) and got an orange one. Here's hoping that the eggs won't always turn out to be the non-Copper parent's biome color - otherwise making lineages won't be as fun as I thought it would be.

Odd, I bred a male Ice to a female veridigris/green Copper and got a veridigris/green egg. Was the Trihorn a male or female? In saying that, I bred a male red Copper to a female Magma and recieved a brown Copper egg (which fits the mothers biome).

If the colour produced has anything to do with the biome either of the parents were caught in, this could make for some interesting biome themed lineages.

I think we should take Slowhornpipe up on the offer of a google spreadsheet. That way breeding could be tracked more easily. Have it track the color of the copper parent and breed of the non-copper parent when both parents are not copper. Track which is the mother and which is the father of the egg. Also track the color of the copper egg. You might be able to get a firm conclusion about copper breeding from that.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

Just bred a green Copper to a Trihorn (Alpine Biome) and got an orange one. Here's hoping that the eggs won't always turn out to be the non-Copper parent's biome color - otherwise making lineages won't be as fun as I thought it would be.

It doesn't sound like it's the non-copper parent, just the mother. If the mother's a copper, it will throw a same-colored egg. If the father is the copper, it will throw an egg suited to the mother's biome.

user posted image

Really a fan of the Trio x Coppers. I would've liked the Orange Copper x Magma to turn out Orange as well, but it's still a nice pairing! My Brown Copper x Whiptail pairing outright refused. Next time I'm going to attempt Copper x Thunder. smile.gif

Tried male magma x female orange copper = orange copper egg smile.gif

I agree with the female biologically conditioned egg theory mentioned earlier, I like the ice and silver combos with green too.

Edited by velvet_paw

So far I've only tried purebreeding coppers of the same color, and in both cases the eggs were the same color as the parents. (A blue pair produced a blue egg, and a brown pair produced a brown egg.)

I got a refusal from my blue copper pair... I'm so bummed.

But my orange pair gave an orange offspring, so maybe if you use a pair of the same colour the offspring will be the same colour ?

I just bred this: http://dragcave.net/lineage/nWBAd

Not sure I like the combo as much as I thought I would.

It will go to the AP unless someone wants it?

I love that combo! That's gorgeous. A checker with that copper x silver would be lovely. Shame the egg is the wrong colour. tongue.gif

Remember when, at first, Trihorns were in the Desert instead of the Alpine? I'll have to check once I have egg space, but I'm pretty sure I can find at least two Desert-caught Trihorns in my batch to test this biome theory.

Meanwhile, if anybody else wants to try... Desert dropped brown, Alpine dropped red. I'd be very interested in the results if someone beats me to it.

I think we should take Slowhornpipe up on the offer of a google spreadsheet. That way breeding could be tracked more easily. Have it track the color of the copper parent and breed of the non-copper parent when both parents are not copper. Track which is the mother and which is the father of the egg. Also track the color of the copper egg. You might be able to get a firm conclusion about copper breeding from that.

I'll do it. I'll put all the breeding results posted here in which it's clear which parent is the male and which is the female.

Heh. This was irresistible to try. Not sure I"m going to keep it though. Maybe I'll try to trade it for something.

male brown copper with female alt shadow walker = brown copper.

That is BEAUTIFUL. I don't know that I'd like it as well with the non-spriter walker, but that tan/brown with the LOS copper is beautiful!

Remember when, at first, Trihorns were in the Desert instead of the Alpine? I'll have to check once I have egg space, but I'm pretty sure I can find at least two Desert-caught Trihorns in my batch to test this biome theory.

Good point. Pretty sure I have some "desert" Trihorns too...

I've been holding off on breeding mine until they're all grown and I can keep the eggs, but I'm having fun watching this thread and seeing what people pair them with. smile.gif

Green copper is my favorite. I wonder which one would result in a brown?

Good point. Pretty sure I have some "desert" Trihorns too...

I've been holding off on breeding mine until they're all grown and I can keep the eggs, but I'm having fun watching this thread and seeing what people pair them with. smile.gif

Another way to test it out may be to try alpine caught turpentines, if you have any, since they changed biomes too.

Okay, here is the spreadsheet with the breeding results. I added every result from this thread that I could verify by looking at a lineage page.

Here is the form where you can add your own. Be sure to pu the father first, then the mother!

I am pretty convinced that the color of the egg depends on the biome the mother came from.

Just yesterday I was talking with someone about how I don't seem to have good DC luck. And then this happened:

brown copper x brown copper = refusal

green copper x tri-horn = refusal

dry.gif

We'll see what happens when the female green copper grows up...

ETA: tried two more --

brown copper x green copper = no interest

blacktip x brown copper = no interest

Edited by miaou

I am pretty convinced that the color of the egg depends on the biome the mother came from.

The one exception I saw so far was m Green Copper x f Whiptail, which resulted in a Green Copper even though Whiptails are only found in the forest. But that particular Whiptail was raised before biomes were added, so I tried the same pairing with a Whiptail raised this May, and got an Orange Copper. So the rule is looking pretty good so far. I wonder how dragons raised before biomes were added are assigned a biome, though?

Edited by smileytechie

Meanwhile, if anybody else wants to try... Desert dropped brown, Alpine dropped red. I'd be very interested in the results if someone beats me to it.

Alpine and Forest are red/rainbow. And Desert Coppers are brown. So that fits with the theory.

It doesn't sound like it's the non-copper parent, just the mother. If the mother's a copper, it will throw a same-colored egg. If the father is the copper, it will throw an egg suited to the mother's biome.

That still would mean that of all theoretical possible 'mixed' lineages - if you want to stick to one alt of the Coppers and another breed - 1/3 could never happen. And with dimorphism, it isn't always an option to switch the genders, because sometimes the male sprite doesn't look like the female one at all.

I can see that there would a logic behind this theory, but if it is really true, I'm not sure if I'm going to like this, to be honest.

Some breeds drop in multiple biomes. It would be interesting if we could track what color Coppers are bred by females from those breeds, and if the owner can remember what biome that female was taken from.

It would also be interesting to track if a particular non-Copper female always breeds the same color Copper egg.

Sister wanted me to state: Copper Male (orange) x Valentine Female ('13 valentine) = orange copper eggie. Copper Male (brown) x Valentine Female ('13) also = orange copper.

egg 1 and ]egg 2

Edited by girlgamerjen