Obscure_Trash

Preferred Method for Egg Freezing

THIS, BY FAR, make the most sense to me. And logically does away with the *biggest* argument against egg-freezing, "what happens to the hatchling". I LOVE this idea.

I'm interested to see what kinds of arguments will be made against this? By the very act of keeping a scroll, having visible badges/trophies, etc, it's been proving that we are fairly good artists and I can't see any problem being associated with being *able* to sketch the eggs permanently onto a part of our scroll.

Since we are just *sketching* the egg, there will be no killing, no hatchlings dying, no "having the egg and hatchling too", etc etc. You don't have to sketch the picture if you don't want to collect eggs.

Absolutely love this suggestion.

(Only thing that would frustrate me is not being able to collect the sprites of those crazy-rare dragons, like GoNs and papers and such. But hey, if you're persistent and patient enough...)

Yes - this is the best idea so far.

what if on each egg's page there was just another action that says: "Place this sprite in your collection?" and you'd have a badge at the top of the scroll much like events where you click on it and the egg sprites are gathered there. it won't effect the egg.

or you could "draw" an image of the egg; example:

you're hunting in the AP and you grab a Deep Sea. you go to the actions page, and one of the links says "Sketch" or "Draw". and it reads "Add a sketch of this egg to your collection?" and it will add the egg's sprite into your collection of eggs that you can get to from a badge.

pros:

you don't have to kill the egg like some suggestions

all you have to do to get an egg's sprite is to have the egg on your scroll

it won't cost a BSA

the eggs you collect are up to you

you don't HAVE to collect egg pictures

cons:

it's a badge system

Hadn't seen this suggestion before, but I like it smile.gif

I don't even think we need a badge system to make this happen, after all each and every dragon on our scroll is a sketch of a dragon we raised and not an actual dragon smile.gif So why not have the sketches of the eggs on our scrolls?

(I think someone mentioned that each egg would need a code then - I don't think this is a problem, if there are codes reserved for dead dragons and those are not recyceled anymore, I can't imagine how some more codes for egg sketches would be a problem)

I don't even think we need a badge system to make this happen, after all each and every dragon on our scroll is a sketch of a dragon we raised and not an actual dragon smile.gif So why not have the sketches of the eggs on our scrolls?

(I think someone mentioned that each egg would need a code then - I don't think this is a problem, if there are codes reserved for dead dragons and those are not recyceled anymore, I can't imagine how some more codes for egg sketches would be a problem)

Codes are recycled, I think - but if we are DRAWING the eggs, hey would only be images so why would we need a code ?

Well, the sketches of our dragons require codes. It only makes sense that the egg sketches would need them also.

Well, the sketches of our dragons require codes. It only makes sense that the egg sketches would need them also.

Not - surely - if they are shown behind a badge - like the Easter Eggs ?

True, but I would prefer to have them on my scroll, sorted with my adults and frozen hatchies xd.png (which are sketches as well, as they are on a scroll, and if we name them, we write the name next to the sketch, and if we release them, we cross out their information, and so on)

I guess a lot of people would prefer having the egg sprites on their scroll, since "it's a badge system" is listed under "cons" in the suggestion.

My guess would be that they would need codes to be sprites on our scrolls, but as long as TJ doesn't post that giving codes to egg sketches is a problem, I refuse to believe that it is one biggrin.gif

Really love the idea of sketches, it won't harm any growing hatchies, and RP-wise it absolutely makes sense smile.gif

True, but I would prefer to have them on my scroll, sorted with my adults and frozen hatchies xd.png (which are sketches as well, as they are on a scroll, and if we name them, we write the name next to the sketch, and if we release them, we cross out their information, and so on)

I guess a lot of people would prefer having the egg sprites on their scroll, since "it's a badge system" is listed under "cons" in the suggestion.

My guess would be that they would need codes to be sprites on our scrolls, but as long as TJ doesn't post that giving codes to egg sketches is a problem, I refuse to believe that it is one biggrin.gif

Really love the idea of sketches, it won't harm any growing hatchies, and RP-wise it absolutely makes sense smile.gif

I don't see that codes are a problem at all, but I hope we have the option to keep eggs in a badge; I would possibly freeze some, but I do NOT want them on my scroll....

I want them on my scroll as beautiful dividers. That is my main reason for wanting frozen eggs. I would also love the ability to give said dividers names.

I want them on my scroll as beautiful dividers. That is my main reason for wanting frozen eggs. I would also love the ability to give said dividers names.

Even if we do get the ability to freeze eggs I doubt we will be able to name them. After all, the leetle trees count as frozen eggs and they cannot be named. sad.gif

I'm so confused. This seems so complicated.

How about just having the ability to freeze the egg . . . it is frozen like a hatchie. Takes it out of an egg slot and gives us a pretty for our scroll.

If it has to be a BSA . . . then give the power to one of the dragons. Preferably one that's not too rare.

I wouldn't think so much of "freezing" an egg. Instead, I think of the times I've blown out chicken eggs. Yeah, it "kills" what is inside (except most eggs in stores aren't fertilized) but it does preserve the eggshell if done correctly. So, I would think there might be something that could "prey" on eggs and suck out what is inside the egg. I could imagine there being a rate of "failure" on preserving the structure egg (it's cracked irrepairably). I could see that. After all, there are plenty of things in the wild that prey on eggs.

I'm so confused. This seems so complicated.

How about just having the ability to freeze the egg . . . it is frozen like a hatchie. Takes it out of an egg slot and gives us a pretty for our scroll.

If it has to be a BSA . . . then give the power to one of the dragons. Preferably one that's not too rare.

It's the "what about the hatchling inside" thing - the general feeling seems to be that if this happens, it has to be done in a way that makes the poor little thing OK....

This is my thoughts. Everything on the scroll is a sketch of a dragon, why wouldn't we have recorded the eggs as well? The argument of the hatchling inside never getting a chance to emerge and be a dragon is silly. If it's a drawing, then from an RP stand point that adult over there could be the dragon that emerged from this egg.

But really, I just want this ability. So many of the eggs are so pretty, why can't we keep pictures of them to go with our pictures of dragons. Are we somehow incapable of drawing ovals? tongue.gif

Please don't hit me people but why do we have to worry about what happens to the hatchling? And evenif it does die then... what of it? We gather 'Zombie Fodder'... why would killing an egg by freezing it with a spell be any worse than attacking your own dragon to zombiefy it? I mean really?

We kill hatchies for zombies

We kill adult dragons for zombies

We kill eggs with vampire bites

We kill eggs from neglect in experiments

We kill eggs from overall neglect

We kill hatchlings from overall neglect

What difference does it make if we use a spell to freeze an egg and in turn kill a developing hatchling? How is it that now we are suddenly "Oh no its gonna die". It won't feel a thing.

Edited by AnanoKimi

That's sorta exactly my thinking, AnanoKimi, but sometimes the vocal opposers will stall suggestions no matter what the reasons.

That's sorta exactly my thinking, AnanoKimi, but sometimes the vocal opposers will stall suggestions no matter what the reasons.

While I think on this matter much like you and AnomiKim, I just want to point out that there are users who refuse to use the options she mentions because it is killing dragons.

The idea I think is to come up with a compromise that everyone can be happy with. The simplest solution is not always the best solution.

C4.

Please don't hit me people but why do we have to worry about what happens to the hatchling? And even if it does die then... what of it? We gather 'Zombie Fodder'... why would killing an egg by freezing it with a spell be any worse than attacking your own dragon to zombiefy it? I mean really?

Because not all of us kill dragons to zombify them. Not all of us kill eggs trying to get a neglected. Not all of us kill dragons through neglect or ignorance. I've used the "kill" actions exactly 4 times as a player. I refuse to use the "earthquake" action because of the risk of killing eggs. The "bite action very very rarely gets used for the same reason. The only times I've ever had anything dead on my scroll are because of trying to get zombies the first year it was openly talked about, one time try on earthquake and a few failed bites. Ever.

To some of us it is a big deal. Therefore, I would not use any egg freezing action that resulted in dead hatchlings. However, I do seriously want frozen eggs.

My preference for egg freezing actions has always been Collect or Gather by mints or pygmies. Those guys need a good BSA anyway and those actions would be fitting. Plus, no dead hatchlings. And for those who argue that broken eggshells would be impossible to put back together I say, "Not so!" I've broken a lot of eggs in my time. (I bake) and eggshells do not break into hundreds of itty bitty shards when they break. They also don't shatter into hundreds of itty bitty shards when chicks hatch out of them. They're held together by an internal membrane and break into large pieces.

But if that doesn't make any sense to you, how about Gather or Collect gathers shell pieces, and when you have enough pieces to make a particular kind of egg, use a spell scroll with an assemble spell on it to put the pieces back together.

Death is part of this game. It is a consequence of certain actions like neglect or a direct consequence of trying to actually kill it. It is something that is very real here like it is in real life. The compromise is that freezing a hatchling doesn't kill it like freezing an egg.

No spell can be entirely perfected and this could be one of those cases. It happens, especially considering this is some form of medieval time period, things like medicine are not advanced and healing magic has its limits. So would magic that would stunt the growth of developing dragons.

Stunting the growth of a more developed dragon whether newly hatched or mostly matured means the body is strong enough to actually take the magic. Stunting the growth of a still developing dragon in the egg could mean it is not strong enough and thus dies due to it. This is really the only solution I see that does not require some big complicated plan of "What happens to the hatchie? Is it extracted? Can the egg be put together? How about duds? that frustrates breeders but how about cooldown breeding? then whats the point of a cool down? what dragon should be able to 'freeze' an egg? Should it still be an egg? Should it hatch? Which dragon makes more sense for this?"

The ONLY other way I see this happening is the other mentioned suggestion of sketching the eggs but rather than having them on the scroll, they would be kept as little sprites behind a badge. I would like them on my scroll but if people really feel that strongly about a pixelated image 'dying' then having them as collectable sprites on a badge seems like the only really compromising option here.

But death is not a necessary part of this game. It's entirely possible to play it and never kill anything ever, or have anything die accidentally. The actions that frequently result in death are choices players can make but are not requirements for playing the game.

And certain spells are indeed perfected. Freezing never fails unless you're out of freezes. Even then there are no negative consequences. Fogging never fails. Yes, that is indeed a spell we perform.

The Collect and Gather actions are not "big, complicated" things. They're very simple, in fact. They do not require killing anything because the dragons are just finding leftover pieces of eggshells from dragons hatching naturally. If they find enough pieces you get a frozen egg. If they don't, you don't.

I suggested the spell scroll as part of it because 1: people had an argument about "putting all those tiny pieces back together" and 2: I like the spell scrolls idea as a whole. It would add a layer to the action, but not in a complicated way, as far as I can see.

I'd much prefer a BSA for Pygmies/Mints, maybe even both. Pygmies for pygmy (and drak, unless a drak gets a similar BSA, as well) eggs, Mints for regular dragons. Or even both can do any egg, which I also wouldn't mind.

No dead/harmed hatchlings, and you have as many as you want.

For something like freezing eggs, it seems totally unnecessary for any risk to be involved...there's no risk on freezing hatchlings.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

While I think on this matter much like you and AnomiKim, I just want to point out that there are users who refuse to use the options she mentions because it is killing dragons.

The idea I think is to come up with a compromise that everyone can be happy with. The simplest solution is not always the best solution.

C4.

But that's exactly the thing. There are features that some users just don't use because it kills, or *could* kill, a dragon. ...... So what's so horrible about a suggestion that some people might not use because of the "freezing the hatchling inside" idea? So what? All actions have some users that don't use it, why does *this* particular action have to be made all anti-kill and "let's please everyone"?

The simplest is not always the best. But tip-toeing around certain users and trying oh-so hard to make a suggestion that no one finds fault with.... maybe that's not always the best either. Doesn't there come a point when we need to go "okay, here are the most likely options, if users don't use it so what?"

But that's exactly the thing. There are features that some users just don't use because it kills, or *could* kill, a dragon. ...... So what's so horrible about a suggestion that some people might not use because of the "freezing the hatchling inside" idea? So what? All actions have some users that don't use it, why does *this* particular action have to be made all anti-kill and "let's please everyone"?

The simplest is not always the best. But tip-toeing around certain users and trying oh-so hard to make a suggestion that no one finds fault with.... maybe that's not always the best either. Doesn't there come a point when we need to go "okay, here are the most likely options, if users don't use it so what?"

Yeah pretty much this. I mean if some users don't wanna use it because of not wanting to kill pixels in a game then uhm, that's their choice.

Also mint gathering shell pieces... How will you hold them together? Freezing stunts something's growth. So we'll get a glue spell that holds things together? Or will that be part of the Mints BSA? Also, the bits that are put back together will show fault lines where it was broken, so should the egg suddenly be seamless after having a hole made on the front of it? Or should it show a nasty crack and kinda ruin the egg sprite for some?

To me we have two very simple very straight forward options:

1- The same freeze spell used on hatchlings can be used on eggs. Due to the magic having been mostly perfected for more developed hatchlings, the spell ends up killing the less developed hatchling in the egg. The egg remains unharmed and the hatchling inside becomes stunted yet dead.

2- Such as with our dragons, we can sketch the eggs. As such A) the egg has a unique code made and a duplicate image appears on the scroll (Seems like too much work) or B ) The egg is put on diplay behind a badge that when clicked shows a collection of these 'sketches' like the easter eggs.

Edited by AnanoKimi

The sketches are meant to show what you currently have, though. I can see there being a bestiary-thing that shows the eggs, hatchlings, and adults of each species that you've gotten. I guess I'd be okay with that only for the "frozen" eggs, but even if freezing eggs is implemented in some way I'd still want the bestiary.

I assume Mints/pygmies could easily gather the pieces and we cast a spell to seal them together. It's really not that outlandish.

Again, killing seems TOTALLY unnecessary for this. It's not that I'm against the risky actions in games, but for something like this, why does there need to be any death involved? Give the Mints/pygmies some added use, I say.

I think the only thing where death even fits in is the Black's proposed BSA, Remove. I actually like that one. That one makes sense for the death.

Edited by edwardelricfreak

Please don't hit me people but why do we have to worry about what happens to the hatchling? And evenif it does die then... what of it? We gather 'Zombie Fodder'... why would killing an egg by freezing it with a spell be any worse than attacking your own dragon to zombiefy it? I mean really?

We kill hatchies for zombies

We kill adult dragons for zombies

We kill eggs with vampire bites

We kill eggs from neglect in experiments

We kill eggs from overall neglect

We kill hatchlings from overall neglect

What difference does it make if we use a spell to freeze an egg and in turn kill a developing hatchling? How is it that now we are suddenly "Oh no its gonna die". It won't feel a thing.

This is pretty much how I feel. Also I do not want the eggs to show as a badge. I want then on my scroll.