Obscure_Trash

Preferred Method for Egg Freezing

Egg Freezing Preference Topic

Below are all the of suggestions for egg freezing, linked to their threads and explained. (his thread will be purely to see which suggestion is preferred and why, while individual threads should stick to working out specific details. The general Freezing Eggs thread is where you can work out the specific generalities (see the key points in the third paragraph). I'd like to get an idea of what the preferred method would be, so please read through all suggestions before voting! When it comes to voting - should I do all options against each other or regular action vs. BSA first?

Keep in mind that we can't just have egg freezing like we have hatchling freezing because we can't freeze the hatchling inside the egg (supposedly information from TJ). So, users have come up with a variety of solutions to this! They are listed by action then BSA and alphabetically below.

In all of these, there are a few key points that seem to be pretty much agreed on and a few that differ between threads (generalities of egg freezing). As this is likely something TJ will decide on his own, no matter the suggestion, anyway, these details shouldn't really affect your vote on which suggestion you prefer. Examples are: frozen eggs taking up a growing dragon slot for a bit, frozen eggs taking up a frozen slot (action-wise), whether or not they count towards ratios, freezing only uncracked eggs, if you can get one or multiple of each egg, etc.

General Action

Eggs as Trophies

Eggs are collected and viewable as a clickable badge (all eggs would be visible once you clicked on the badge - eggs wouldn't show up as their own badge). Badge could be unlocked by collecting all versions of the dragon (or perhaps by raising x number of the dragon?). Major con: eggs are not visible directly on scroll

Forever Eggs

Every egg is given a new action "Perpetuate". Users must gain enough views for the egg to hatch. Once it has enough views and is low enough on time, the egg hatches into another egg - a frozen egg. Popular choice was that once the egg hatched as a frozen egg, it stayed as a frozen egg (no cycles of it hatching or have to be hatched). Major con: RP-sense - where did the hatchling go?

Humpty Dumpty

Adds an action to dead eggs to allow you to piece the shell back together as a hollow egg. Major con: users dislike having to kill or let an egg die to get a frozen egg

Infertile Eggs

Dragons breed an infertile, automatically frozen egg. Could be another possible breeding result or a 'gender specific action' (the more popular version) all females have (based on the fact that birds do this). The suggestion has been worked out for both sides to still be able to freeze unbreedable and male holiday eggs. Major con: first option could produce an infertile egg when a user doesn't want it, adding more frustration to breeding

Breed Specific Action

Collect (Mint)

A mint collects egg shell pieces from hatched eggs and sticks them together, forming a hollow egg. Major con: possible time limit for how long ago a dragon hatched to gather the egg (excluding holidays)

Egg Ship (Chicken)

A chicken raises a dragon and keeps the leftover egg or flies away in it. Major con: RP-sense, based on inside joke

Gather (Pygmy)

A pygmy gathers up egg shell pieces from hatched eggs and sticks them together, forming a hollow egg. Major con: possible time limit for how long ago a dragon hatched to gather the egg (excluding holidays)

Glassmith (Spitfire)

A spitfire covers an egg in sand and blows fire on it, creating a beautiful egg ornament. Major con: RP-sense (can you cover something in sand and create a glass ornament?), doesn't really address the hatchling problem

Medusa's Gaze (Stone)

A stone dragon gazes at an egg, petrifying it. Given to stones because eggs could help them build up their outer shells because of the calcium and dragons are natural hoarders who might want to hoard eggs. Major con: RP-sense, doesn't really address the hatchling problem

Petrify (Stone)

A stone dragon buries an egg in the mountainside or whatnot, letting it fossilize. Major con: doesn't really address the hatchling problem?, possible physics inaccuracies

Remove (Black)

A black uses its magic to remove a hatchling from its egg, allowing you to keep the egg and for the hatchling to live. This would generate a new code for the egg and give the original code for the hatchling. Major con: perhaps not within the black's realm of magic, as well as a debate on what would happen to the hatchling once removed (would it live/die?)

Extra Ideas/Information

• Whatever the method is, allow users to choose to collect as a trophy or on the scroll (as poll results are really dependent on whether or not people want eggs on their scroll or not)
  • Once you've clicked an egg type x number of times and gathered a shard of the egg, you can then have that egg as a frozen egg
  • For eggs that hatch, users prefer if the hatchling ran away to the AP rather than died
  • For infertility, users prefer the gender specific action with allowances for male-only species
  • The Egg Sucker Pygmy Dragon is a popular option for this suggestion but wasn't included in the poll since it's not completed yet
Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Oh gosh, it would be so cool to get one of these options in the cave...

I really don't like any that require killing the egg, though :T

Edited by MaggieXawesomeness

Wasn't there an Egg-Eater Pygmy being worked on somewhere with a BSA for this?

You missed Remove, a Black dragon BSA I suggested a while ago (don't have link ATM), as well as the Egg-Sucker Pygmies.

Wasn't there an Egg-Eater Pygmy being worked on somewhere with a BSA for this?

Yes, good memory. I'd prefer to stay with options already possible (as that one relies on the release of the dragon first), but if people really like that one, I can add it? I can at least note it in the post. ^^

~

(In case is wasn't clear - I will be adding a poll, but I want to make sure I didn't miss any options and am still unsure whether to do action vs. BSA first or not.)

EDIT: Added remove. Saw it in my original search but didn't check it because I got it confused with another suggestion that removed dead eggs from the scroll, lol.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Ok, I really like the "Eggs as Trophies" option, because I personally would not want a whole bunch of eggs mixed in with my dragons... (even though I don't like collection hatchies)

The "Infertile Egg" suggestion I am ok with, as well.

Same with the "Collect" action with Mints, that sounds cute :3

Edited by MaggieXawesomeness

Personally, I prefer the ones like the Mint/Pygmy BSA or the trophy idea, as they don't require you to kill the egg or stop it from actually hatching. I'd rather have a hatchling/adult than an egg, and it would lessen the chance of someone hoarding eggs just to kill-freeze it (this could be remedied with a limit on the eggs, but I still don't like the idea of killing the egg/preventing it from hatching just to get the egg permanently on a scroll.)

Trophy is my favorite though, just because it keeps the eggs there, but also doesn't run into the issue of having duplicate codes or the need to generate a new code for the frozen egg.

Edited by shikaru

I'd prefer the Infertile Eggs idea, as a 'gender specific' option. Only thing I would add to it would be that it would cause a breeding cool down (cause, you know, producing an egg does use resources from the body). How long of a cool down, I don't know, probably the same as the 'normal' breeding option.

Edited by Slaskia

I like the collect for mints the best. It sounds like it has the potential to be fun, while at the same time doesn't make you kill the egg.

I kind of like the eggs as trophies, but the fact that not only are they not on your scroll, but you can only collect one of each kind puts me off a bit. I admit that I don't like having only one of something on my scroll(hence why I never freeze any limited holiday dragons).

Removing original comment to make discussion thread...

Edited by Thuban

Support:

Eggs as Trophies

Infertile Eggs

Having the frozen eggs on a separate page like the Festival of Eggs appeals very much to me. Maybe you can only have an egg trophy after there has been X raised on your scroll. I like a flat number of 10 myself, no matter the breed.

Infertile Eggs, however, I'm on the fence about. Other than chickens, I don't know of an animal that produces sterile eggs. However, it has been painfully pointed out time and time again that I know nothing about anything here.

Don't Support:

Humpty Dumpty

(and its related BSAs, save the Pygmy's Collecting BSA)

Dead eggs are simply that. They should just stay the way they are, as, if one thinks about it, they are not frozen. They are dead.

all female animals(not sure about fish, honestly).. can produce.. infertile eggs. ^^; im not going to go into more detail.

anyway! that said, i do support infertile eggs. im not really fond of any of the current BSAs, but i'd suppose Collect and Gathering would be nice. however i'd like to be able to get holiday eggs as well. a frozen egg should no take up limits, honestly.

ETA: i'd prefer having them on my scroll where i could sort them in with my dragons.

Edited by ParticleSoup

I think I like the trophy idea the best.

In my mind, a Trophy screen like the festival of eggs badge would act as a display cabinet, showing off all the dragon eggs you have 'collected'. I like the idea of getting the egg as a prize when you have a male and female of each breed, but that would probably make them too easy to obtain.

I like the 'Petrify' by the Stone dragons best as it seems most in keeping with all the other BSAs. Seems to make the most sense to me. A once monthly BSA that would be useful and create some more enthusiasm for gathering these lovely dragons.

Other dragons piecing together bits of eggs would surely result in a cracked egg, not a whole one.

I also like 'Petrify' because I would really like to use frozen eggs to separate my dragons. Would make my scroll look better and be easier to navigate. Also would complete my collection better, the eggs with the hatchlings and the adults. They belong together so that you can see the entire evolution of each type of dragon. Would be nice to actually organise frozen eggs on my scroll, rather then just be something to look at once in a blue moon on a completely separate page, with a layout that I cannot change.

So I really don't like the idea of a separate page for my frozen eggs (like the easter egg thing), because it isn't really part of my scroll. I can't remember the last time I clicked on those trophies to view the easter eggs. To me this would be pretty pointless. I can go with one click to the Drag Cave WIKI and view every egg sprite. Plus, there are so many trophies altogether and every holiday adds more. I think an 'egg' trophy would be pretty lost in them as it's already getting really crowded with trophies at the top of scrolls. Adding frozen eggs to the actual scroll, just like frozen hatchlings, would be far more fun and interactive.

Edited by Dubious

I would support "Eggs as Trophies" or "Collect"/"Gathering" BSAs.

Anything that allows for GoN eggs to be collected without killing one, really.

I like the idea of a Collect/Gather BSA. You don't have to kill anything and you'd have to hatch an egg before getting it's shell so it sounds nice.

The Trophy idea is nice too. It makes sense for a collector to have the eggs stored somewhere, but for some reason I'd rather have them on my scroll (though this might get confusing at times)

Just to add: if I had to choice a BSA option, I would before one of the collect ones. The Pymgy one to be exact, as Mints are one of two breeds I refuse to have on my scroll for any reason. Probably be best if both dragons were given the BSA, actually....

Edited by Slaskia

Other than chickens, I don't know of an animal that produces sterile eggs.

I have two finches and they produce infertile eggs at an annoyingly regular rate. Poor little things. Most birds do (although not daily), as far as I'm aware. Particle seems more knowledgeable on this off the top of his head, lol. It's basically their own menstruation cycle. ^^

~

Okay, added a poll since I don't seem to have missed any topics besides the remove topic. Didn't put in any kind of other choice because I feel like we've pretty extensively detailed the possible ways to obtain egg freezing and I want to see what's preferred out of what we've come up with. ^^

I have two finches and they produce infertile eggs at an annoyingly regular rate. Poor little things. Most birds do (although not daily), as far as I'm aware. Particle seems more knowledgeable on this off the top of his head, lol. It's basically their own menstruation cycle. ^^

Any bird with no mate does it. Our canaries used to lay loads... very sad.

Most, if not all female birds at least can produce infertile eggs. ^^

I wouldn't mind an option to try to get a female to produce infertile eggs, or indeed a some of the BSA ideas seem quite interesting too.

Edited by TheGrox

I'm honestly six/half-a-dozen on collect vs. gather. It's really the same action with a different dragon. I voted for gather, but I'd be fine with collect as well.

I support eggs as trophies. I don't want my scroll cluttered by eggs. Plus we already have the Easter Egg Basket and Trick-or-Treating, so it would fit in.

If Infertile Eggs is passed, I'd really want it to be an option, not something that just happens. I don't want to have a million eggs I don't want on my scroll, and it would be worse than refusing in my book.

Maybe there could be an option to turn it off?

I kind of wish that the collect/gather had been left as one voting option, for I honestly don't care which it is, so I had to choose between them, and it splits the vote for people like me wouldn't care which version as long as it is a "piece the egg together" action.

Edited by Nectaris