TheGrox

ANSWERED:Raffle Rethink?

Should we increase the number of raffle Prizes given out?  

351 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know that it isn't fair to people who happen to join right before xmas but will become a dedicated member of the site [i've said so at least 3 times now], but what is the chance that that member would have won over the greater number of newbies who join, stay long enough to get the raffle tickets [with the more "fun" event game keeping there interest!] and then vanish?. And I honestly don't think your first example is very likely unless the person is extremely picky, since anyone who raises dragons that slowly is someone who DC is not holding their interest very well. x3

Don't worry, PF13, I'm not arguing with you, but I just wanted to use myself as an example.

It took me three years to get my Gold trophy. I had under 500 dragons for so long, because I was gifting pretty much every dragon I caught. I gifted every CB Black and CB Stripe, until I realised that I didn't have any yet, lol, and even then, I only kept six of each. My scroll was usually organized with CBs on cool-down, CBs to be gifted, and one open slot for myself. Once cool-downs were up, eggs were gifted and the cycle continued. I only reached 500 because I took a little break from gifting.

I do know of someone who is only catching one of every breed, and they have been here for almost three years. They still love DC, but they just don't want to collect more than one (two in the cases of dragons with dimorphism,) and they haven't hit their Silver Trophy yet.

Personally, I would hate to see newer players excluded. This is not some platinum card members only club. It's DC. Free for anyone.

So why not do something to keep those transients from taking something that is extremely valuable to the rest of us out of the breeding pool for good?

They didn't take anything away from you. It was never yours. Neither you, nor anybody else in the community, was ever entitled to that prize. That 'transient' won it, fair and square. Even if he decides to give up DC the next day, even if he decides to keep it permanently out of the breeding pool by never breeding it, or zombifying it, he won it honestly and it's rightfully his, and nothing was taken from or kept from you.

*sigh* If the bronze trophy limit is too unfair, can we at least move on and talk about two other suggestions:

1. Increased tickets to older members [think of it as a reward for being loyal if you like] Can either by by trophy level or the number of previous xmas events were participated in [second probably fairest, since it only judges activity and does not exclude those who do not collect a lot] The newest newbie can still win as long as they participate in the ticket collecting event, but the people who have been here longer get a higher chance. It does not have to be a significantly higher chance.

2. Increased prizes given out [ideally at least 100]

Edited by Pokemonfan13

*sigh* If the bronze trophy limit is too unfair, can we at least move on and talk about two other suggestions:

1. Increased tickets to older members [think of it as a reward for being loyal if you like] Can either by by trophy level or the number of previous xmas events were participated in [second probably fairest, since it only judges activity and does not exclude those who do not collect a lot]

I would go along with increasing the number of prizes given out.

Going to pretty much skip over all 9 pages of the discussion (as it will no doubt be 9, maybe 10 by the time I post), to say that the thing I want to see changed regards burnt scrolls. If a user is caught cheating, wins a Prize dragon, and has their scroll burnt, there should be another random user chosen to receive the gift. That way there'd still be 30 winners... and 1 loser. Didn't realize this had even happened last year until I read this thread, but that's something that should be changed first and foremost, imo.

Edit:

Oh, guess I overshot it. Still on page 8, tsk.

Edited by Nine

Probably a better analogy:

My first dragon, my very first dragon, was a CB gold. You can see him right there balancing my eggs on his back at the very top of the very first page on my scroll. I use default sort so Swift is always the faithful guardian of all my eggs.

Yet going by the logic in this thread I never, ever deserved to own him because I was too new to the site to be considered a valuable member. I was only there for like, two hours! There's no way I'd ever be able to stay for longer than like a month, amirite?

No but in the first few weeks, you had a statistically higher chance of never breeding it by leaving the site. Then again that doesn't matter since more CB Golds can be created unlike CB Tinsels, and if hypothetically you never bred that gold then those lineaged golds from your dragon would either be bred by someone else or produced by the cave, making more CBs. CB Tinsels are different, in that they cannot be produced by the cave and are limited, possibly forever. Not to say a newbie wouldn't deserve one.

But either way, I don't think any of us are going about this the right way. New players have a high turnover rate, and old players can quit from boredom or such. Frankly I just want the CB Prizes to be appreciated by the owner, however they go about doing it.

I support the "more raffle tickets for more effort" and think that rather than us going about the trophy limitation, even a basic one, have it determined on whether they were active for the past few weeks if possible.

*sigh*  If the bronze trophy limit is too unfair, can we at least move on and talk about two other suggestions:

1.  Increased tickets to older members [think of it as a reward for being loyal if you like]  Can either by by trophy level or the number of previous xmas events were participated in [second probably fairest, since it only judges activity and does not exclude those who do not collect a lot]

2.  Increased prizes given out [ideally at least 100]

I thought users had the chance to increase the number of tickets they had in the raffle through the cooking minigame?

Theoretically fair to everyone, without favoring anyone. (Yes, I know, it turned out that the recipes actually favor those on the forums or used to those kinds of games.)

I'm not too keen on the idea of giving extra tickets for extra involvement, be it in the form of forum membership, trophies, bonus tickets for artists, penalties for dead eggs, etc. I think active participation in the contest for extra tickets was the fairest way to handle it.

ETA: I'm all for more prizes, though. smile.gif

(I'm not trying to focus on you, Pokemonfan13--I think yours is simply the most concise and best-stated side of that argument.)

Edited by schmupti

have it determined on whether they were active for the past few weeks if possible.

Ahaha yes, this. At the very least, can't it be required that you be active both when the raffle starts AND when the prizes are actually distributed? That would ENSURE they only went to players that were, you know, still playing. Surely everyone can agree to that? ^^;

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

1. Increased tickets to older members [think of it as a reward for being loyal if you like] Can either by by trophy level or the number of previous xmas events were participated in [second probably fairest, since it only judges activity and does not exclude those who do not collect a lot] The newest newbie can still win as long as they participate in the ticket collecting event, but the people who have been here longer get a higher chance. It does not have to be a significantly higher chance.

I'm totally against that. It is just not fair. Age alone is not an accomplishment. It just happens.

PF,You have been one of the nicest people to me on the site. But I must disagree with the bronze trophy limit.I LOVE this site and I plan to stay on for at least until my gold troph. I still Haven't gotten a bronze yet but I AM dedicated And it would be disappointing if I was excluded.

I don't mean this in a mean way PF13.

The only change I would suggest for the raffle is that players who have already won a prize dragon be excluded. They already have a unique cb dragon that nobody else can have in its cb form.

No but in the first few weeks, you had a statistically higher chance of never breeding it by leaving the site. Then again that doesn't matter since more CB Golds can be created unlike CB Tinsels, and if hypothetically you never bred that gold then those lineaged golds from your dragon would either be bred by someone else or produced by the cave, making more CBs. CB Tinsels are different, in that they cannot be produced by the cave and are limited, possibly forever. Not to say a newbie wouldn't deserve one.

But either way, I don't think any of us are going about this the right way. New players have a high turnover rate, and old players can quit from boredom or such. Frankly I just want the CB Prizes to be appreciated by the owner, however they go about doing it.

I support the "more raffle tickets for more effort" and think that rather than us going about the trophy limitation, even a basic one, have it determined on whether they were active for the past few weeks if possible.

You're missing the point of the analogy.

At my very newest I had one of the rarest dragons on the site and despite that newbie-associated high chance of quitting (and I side-eye your extremely vague non-numerical statistic pretty hard as I always stay a good while on sites I join before I go, unless some glitch happens to lock me out) I got to keep him. And I joined the forum shortly after, back when the forums weren't nearly as vitriolic as they are now, and people just congratulated me when/if they saw what I had at the top of my scroll and moved on with their lives. If I joined yesterday and did the same thing I'd bet my foot I'd have several PMs telling me I "don't know what I have" and that I "better appreciate that gold" and that if I don't breed it I'm wasting a rare, basically trying to shame me for being "too new" to "deserve" something so rare.

Because that's the very same mentality that's cropped up in this thread. That newbies are "too new" to know what they win so they should have their chances cut or even removed entirely just because they might not "appreciate" it the way people want them to. Which is by mass-breeding and giving them to "deserving" parties.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I support the "more raffle tickets for more effort"

First off let me say I am not singling you out. You just just said something, like others have, that I want to comment on.

"more raffle tickets for more effort".... That's exactly how this event is played already. The more effort you put into making red star recipes the more entries you get. I don't see why more conditions are being suggested. Just my two cents.

With that being said, I wish Good Luck to everyone in the raffle. smile.gif

The only change I would suggest for the raffle is that players who have already won a prize dragon be excluded. They already have a unique cb dragon that nobody else can have in its cb form.

This suggestion here I am completly in agreement with. This way its fair to those who don't have a CB prize dragon as well as ever so faintly increase their chances of getting one next time around.

I agree with this as well. :3

Lythiaren: that maybe your experience, but a lot of other players acted differently when they were new. Hell, I killed a few eggs, and it took me 3 years to get a CB Gold. It took me probably a year to get any form of metal. I didn't fully understand what I was doing when I was new. I learnt, slowly.

Ahaha yes, this. At the very least, can't it be required that you be active both when the raffle starts AND when the prizes are actually distributed? That would ENSURE they only went to players that were, you know, still playing. Surely everyone can agree to that? ^^;

---

Strictly speaking that's already true. If you don't respond to the email to the prize, you can get skipped (it apparently happened before).

And if you're not here to earn tickets, you don't get entered in the first place.

---

If this is a genuinely new dragon, I'd let them win again. Then not let the win any more of whatever this prize is.

PF,You have been one of the nicest people to me on the site. But I must disagree with the bronze trophy limit.I LOVE this site and I plan to stay on for at least until my gold troph. I still Haven't gotten a bronze yet but I AM dedicated And it would be disappointing if I was excluded.

I don't mean this in a mean way PF13.

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone. I disagree with Fuzz's position in this thread and she's one of my favorite people on this site. <3

If this is a genuinely new dragon, I'd let them win again. Then not let the win any more of whatever this prize is.

The other side is, they already have an incredibly valuable dragon that they could use to trade for 2nd gens of the new prize, and might even be contacted by the new winners who want to get 2nd gen tinsels, which gives them a great advantage over the rest of us.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

This suggestion here I am completly in agreement with. This way its fair to those who don't have a CB prize dragon as well as ever so faintly increase their chances of getting one next time around.

Excluding people is favoritism. Basically, it comes down to making it impossible for some mebers to win the new Prize dragon, while other were allowed to get tickets for both.

Edited by Rally Vincent

In my opinion, giving out prize dragons in the first place was a big mistake.

Dragon Cave was never about creating elite players.

Nor the arguments, the hounding, the jealousy etc. that go along with them.

In my mind, there is now only one solution... but it's already been mentioned and not considered so...

Seriously, giving new players worse chances than older players is just not fair.

That being said, I agree that one-time winners shouldn't be able to win again because they already have a DC money printing press - giving them another one would be overkill.

And kudos to more prizes or no prizes at all. With no prizes at all, we won't have this argument.

Lythiaren: that maybe your experience, but a lot of other players acted differently when they were new. Hell, I killed a few eggs, and it took me 3 years to get a CB Gold. It took me probably a year to get any form of metal. I didn't fully understand what I was doing when I was new. I learnt, slowly.

You're also missing the point of the analogy.

Like I said, it only took me a few hours from account creation to my first CB gold. By the logic in this thread (ie. that precious things should go mostly to those who are likely to remain active) the prevailing mentality is that I shouldn't have him. That I didn't deserve to have him because I was new and I hadn't raised anything yet. That because I was new and therefore more likely to leave after a short time, and because he was precious, I shouldn't have had him. Or that if I was to have him, that I should be watched to make sure that I would eventually serve as a well-behaved little egg-vending machine for the masses and show that I "appreciate" him by "contributing".

Now swap me with "newbies" and "Swift Mirral the CB Gold" with "CB prizes", and you have basically what has gone down in this thread.

And that's not a nice mentality to have toward newbies.

At all.

Edited by Lythiaren

I'm far more opposed to this suggestion than I am an arbitrary limit. Once a person has reached that limit, they've got as much chance as anyone else does to win a prize.

On the other hand, if you give more chances to people who've been here longer, you've created an insurmountable gap. No matter how many dragons the newbie raises or how long they've been here, they'll never have as much a chance as the people who're here now.