TheGrox

ANSWERED:Raffle Rethink?

Should we increase the number of raffle Prizes given out?  

351 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How about instead of winning the new Prize, they get what the HM winners got, one of whatever they wanted, excluding the new Prize.

If one of the previous tinsel winners got picked for the top prize I'd say that is the fairest thing to do. They still get something special [CB holly, frill, alt black/vine, etc] but the super-special prize goes to someone new.

I admit that not everyone will be outraged.  But how many people wouldn't secretly be going "if they hadn't won it might have been me, and they already won before!!!"?  I admit that greed would probably be the basis of the outrage, even if it is subconscious greed, but that doesn't mean it isn't legit or that it won't happen.

I know for a fact that I wouldn't be thrilled if a previous winner won, and I can't believe I'd be the only one.

Starscream: to be honest, with this stink that's going on, TJ would be in his right mind just to say to the pit with everyone and just give out a gold to the winners.

the Dead horse has been beaten, I doubt we can even get glue from it anymore. Just bury the poor thing and get on with it.

I quite agree. I think many folks have forgotten this is supposed to be a game of skill and chance. To collect certain breeds and lineages, etc. If you don't have the game pieces required to trade for equal or better game pieces, work harder. Make friends. Have patience.This game works better if you make connections.

Folks get excited and forget themselves when new dragons come out. It's to be expected.

As a newbie I managed to catch a GB gold. But it bounced because I was egglocked and didn't know it. I still don't have a CB gold. After four odd years, I finally managed to catch my first holly. I gave it away to a 2008 player who didn't have one. (I did have a holly promise from last year that didn't breed in time, and I had no idea if it was happening this year.)

I still don't have any 2nd gen tinsels. Maybe someday. It takes work.

I really do hope that this is the last giveaway TJ does. However, it's sure to be drama over something else. But you have to admit, it makes the boards interesting while waiting for stuff to hatch and grow up.

I do admit I would be outraged if someone won twice. But you know what? Boohoo, too bad. Life isn't fair. Sure, a player has a right to be upset over something like that. Just like no one can tell you how you should feel. Feel the emotion, deal with it, and move on.

Here's to more new releases and a new year.

If one of the previous tinsel winners got picked for the top prize I'd say that is the fairest thing to do. They still get something special [CB holly, frill, alt black/vine, etc] but the super-special prize goes to someone new.

My point exactly. <3

And just as some are saying the only fair thing is to not exclude anyone, to me it is only fair if the people who don't have one yet get first dibs. Yes, it may be technically fair to not exclude anyone, but it just doesn't feel fair for someone to win twice when the vast majority haven't won anything at all.

Would you say the same if you were one of the CB Tinsel owners while you are told that you are excluded from the small chance of getting the new prize dragon? It always depends on the point of view of a person. It hurts to be excluded from something everybody would like to have.

I'd honestly like to see the giveaways continue just because it's something that happens once a year and I'm personally very amused when people complain about unfairness in a raffle. The fairest distribution method you can get while also keeping things rare.

Not gonna lie, I'd hrrk a little too if someone with a CB tinsel won again, but I'll recognize it as irrational wailing on my part at the end of the day and it'll pass.

Edited by Lythiaren

Honestly, I think it would be a good idea to restrict it to those who have a bronze trophy and up. Not for my own selfish gain but so that when the prizes are given out they don't go to someone who has only been playing for a day. IMO that seems unfair to the people who have been playing longer.

Again, this is only my opinion.

Either way I think the raffle is fine as it is, but I wouldn't mind if that one small restriction was made :3

No we don't! I would feel really bad if I would win under such circumstances.

Why? It wouldn't be a guarantee a win, just a higher chance for those who have shown loyalty to the site.

I still think the best thing to do is to vastly increase the number of prize dragon winners. Maybe even as high as 500. With enough winners the scramble for low-gen offspring wouldn't be so mad, there wouldn't be as many people going without, each winner wouldn't be as overwhelmed with requests and demands for offspring, and there would be less drama because the chances of winning would be higher. Rather than saying "let's not have prizes because of the drama they cause", say "Let's have MORE prizes to reduce the drama"!

Would you say the same if you were one of the CB Tinsel owners while you are told that you are excluded from the small chance of getting the new prize dragon? It always depends on the point of view of a person. It hurts to be excluded from something everybody would like to have.

Honestly, if I was a tinsel winner I'd say give it to someone else and use my tinsel babies to trade for 2nd gens. But I'm a generous person.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

People will get over it and then in a few months they'll trip over themselves asking for a gen 2 tinsel x newprize. The forum has the memory of a goldfish.

OMG Grabby hands. *dies* Must add this to signature.

And in keeping on topic so I don't get dinged, yes, people will be falling all over themselves asking for 2nd gens. It's great to sit there with a bowl of popcorn. Perhaps we should use something like that as a raffle in itself.

Why? It wouldn't be a guarantee a win, just a higher chance for those who have shown loyalty to the site.

I play this game because I like it. I don't play this game because I want an incentive or gratification for it.

I really appreciate that everyone is equal here. Everyone has the same chances to everything. I especially appreciate it that TJ stated very clearly that no one will get a better chance at getting anything because they made a donation. I don't like pay to win.

What is suggested here is the same, only that the "loyal" members you are talking about donated time instead of money.

OMG Grabby hands.  *dies* Must add this to signature. 

Do it. I dare you. >3

@PF: Implying that CB tinsel owners would be automatically un-generous with their two if they win...?

Sorry, sorry, I couldn't resist. But there's this niggling voice in the back of my head saying "people don't want CB tinsel owners in it because they think they're 'not doing enough'". :|

Edited by Lythiaren

"let's not have prizes because of the drama they cause", say "Let's have MORE prizes to reduce the drama"!

I agree with Pokemonfan(: it seems silly to just stop everything so there's no drama when you could just reduce it.

Honestly, if I was a tinsel winner I'd say give it to someone else and use my tinsel babies to trade for 2nd gens. But I'm a generous person.

But there are others with another attitude and we do not have the right to punish them by excluding them.

Not everyone would, but stinginess isn't exactly a reason to be excluded from a raffle either.

Like I said, if I win one I have no intention of ever breeding it. Does that mean I should be removed from the raffle? Because I'd be "not generous" simply because I wouldn't be appreciating the dragon in the way that everyone would want me to?

Because if you take the OP of this thread at face value, Grox seems to only want prizes to be appreciated. If I named and put a description on my prize and fawned over my screen where you guys couldn't see it, and never bred it ever to preserve the purity of a CB virgin ultra-rare, how would I be appreciating it less than someone who breeds theirs every CD and uses the eggs as extremely valuable trade fodder every week? They're certainly getting a lot of use out of theirs but my appreciation would be not only much less visible, but also still massively downplayed by the community.

Edited by Lythiaren

EVERYONE who has a raffle ticket for the new 2013 prize dragon has an equal chance at the prize. These raffle tickets are for the NEW prize dragons - not any of the old ones. The old raffles/contests are just that... old as in done - game over. So stop crying about the fact that someone who won a prize from a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT raffle/contest could *possibly* win this new raffle/contest. It's their ticket to play, their chance to win just like everyone else who went through the same laborious process to earn their tickets.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I still think that making prizes unbreedable would solve the whole problem. Nobody would be jealous anymore if no offspring can be traded. I think PF has the best proof on her scroll.

Why deprive everyone of at least a year's worth of collecting the new dragon's lineages, giving people a reason to stick around DC and not get bored and leave.

That is what the Tinsels did, they added a LOT of extra gameplay that kept peoples interest for a looong time.

Ok, having won an HM in 2010 (I am a bit artistic, enough to give me a bit of an advantage), I have to say that the current recipe situation is a tolerable alternative to the 'getting a ticket every time you login for 12 days' scenario. Had I not won an HM, I probably would have lost interest in the game...

Though I am a little bit disappointed that some of the prize dragons have not been bred. I know that a lot of people feel the same way and feel that if they were in the winners position, they would have taken the opportunity to either spread the love or profit, that either action would be preferred to the prize dragon just remaining on a person's scroll. However, it is that person's choice, though I do think that that doesn't make it any less disappointing. As a person who strongly value lineages, prize dragons often mean that we can't have fresh blood in our lineages and that they cannot be as extensive as we wish. This is not to say that we shouldn't have contests or that these people should be immediately disqualified from the contests. But still...

Ok, if you have more prizes, then it will feel even more unfair to the people who missed out. Because of the fact that there are more of them, it feels like a greater loss. If you have fewer prizes, then you create a new generation of elite players who can potentially monopolise the entire economy. Whichever way you cut it, people will complain. People complained that the tree decorating contest was unfair because it gave artistic people a chance. People complained about the '11 raffle because it gave everyone a chance even when you put in no effort. Somehow, the 2012 raffle involved recipes which were simultaneously too hard and too easy (didn't show commitment), but I feel that the real root of the discussion is human jealousy. Either way, I simply don't think that this is going to be easily resolved.

I would hrk too if a CB tinsel winner won again, but I would also feel that excluding them is also a bit unfair. I would feel a bit excluded if I was left out of this raffle, but saying that I never obtained a unique dragon is not completely accurate, because the HM is a halfway house. Then again, if YOU happened to win one dragon and there were 500 winners, those second gens would hardly be worth anything, in comparison to the winners of '11 and '12 due to the sheer number of dragons. YOU too would feel left out because with the previous winners it was kind of accepted that the offspring would be worth a lot. If the dragons were supposed to be given out to anyone, then the prizes would be just like any other new release.

/shrugs

Why deprive everyone of at least a year's worth of collecting the new dragon's lineages, giving people a reason to stick around DC and not get bored and leave.

That is what the Tinsels did, they added a LOT of extra gameplay that kept peoples interest for a looong time.

I know that wink.gif , but as you can see here, Tinsels are causing so much drama and making people who do not win them unhappy rolleyes.gif . Maybe this would change when there is no chance that anybody could use them to produce trading fodder.

I am sorry, but I still think that most people envy the Tinsel owners.

Does anyone object to increasing the number of prize dragons given out? [Honorable mentions too, I assume] Ideally the increase would be into the hundreds of winners.

Honestly, I think most of the drama that happens with prizes is that the chances of winning are so incredibly low. It means that:

1. The winners get a free ride if they wish it. Them being vanishingly rare means that those who have them can charge whatever price they want, which means getting low gens become incredibly elitist. Even if they gift the 2nd gen babies there's nothing to stop those people from charging a decent amount for 3rd gen babies.

2. The winners ALSO get massively harassed by all the people who want eggs. With, say 500 winners, it would get spread out over that many more people.

3. Because the chances are so low it's a lot like winning the lottery it's natural that people would want to skew the eligibility to be in their favor. I'm not saying that's what happened in this thread, but it might be part of the subconscious reasons if nothing else. With more dragons people wouldn't feel the need to be restrictive over who wins, since the population isn't small enough that a few people quitting makes a difference, and the chances of winning goes up so they are more likely to win and feel less need to try to skew it in their favor.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

Does anyone object to increasing the number of prize dragons given out? [Honorable mentions too, I assume] Ideally the increase would be into the hundreds of winners.

Honestly, I think most of the drama that happens with prizes is that the chances of winning are so incredibly low. It means that:

1. The winners get a free ride if they wish it. Them being vanishingly rare means that those who have them can charge whatever price they want, which means getting low gens become incredibly elitist.

2. The winners ALSO get massively harassed by all the people who want eggs. With, say 500 winners, it would get spread out over that many more people.

3. People wouldn't feel the need to be restrictive over who wins, since the population isn't small enough that a few people quitting makes a difference, and the chances of winning goes up so they are more likely to win and feel less need to try to skew it in their favor.

That would not expand the number of CB tinsels given out, therefore they would remain the only real currency on the market except for NDs and CB metals.

That would not expand the number of CB tinsels given out, therefore they would remain the only real currency on the market except for NDs and CB metals.

This!

Increasing the number of prizes would only work if they are Tinsels instead of a new dragon.

Edited by drabrugon

I agree with Pokemonfan13. I like the idea of 500 prize winners. I really have no idea why anyone puts high value on pixles anyway. Sure I don't have any CB golds or silvers, but if I won by some chance I would just give out babies instead or trading them for a high price tag. Sure I might ask for at most 2 CB golds or Silvers but that's all. Why be so greedy? I gifted some Hollies this year ((including one to hubby ^^ )) Even though I was asked if there was anything they could do in return I just said No worries. I would much rather gift anyway. Thing is hardly anyone ever asks for anything off my scroll anyway lol so unless I said "yo I won!" No one would notice xd.png

WB

What if tinsels were available as HM prizes?

I think that would have the potential to MAYBE solve a bit of the drama, but definitely not all of it. It would at least put the Tinsels "back on the market," as it were.

Overall, I'm neutral. Does someone who won a prize want to come forward with their opinion? tongue.gif