TheGrox

ANSWERED:Raffle Rethink?

Should we increase the number of raffle Prizes given out?  

351 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Spam removed. Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I still don't really see how requiring people to have been active for a couple of months or have a Bronze trophy is unfair. I mean, let's compare that to how Holidays work already, shall we?

- Someone joins two weeks after a Holiday release. Drat, you missed out on the CBs, but don't worry, next year you'll have a chance to get some nicely lineaged ones.

- Someone joins two weeks before a Holiday raffle. Drat, you can't participate in the raffle because you're so new, but don't worry, next year you'll have another chance.

Again, this isn't about preventing people who win from quitting the game, it's about increasing the odds that the winners will appreciate their prize a bit more beyond "ooh, shiny, but this game's getting boring so I'm going to leave a week after I won this thing." Going back to the RL lottery example: it's why people want adults to win lottos instead of ten year olds (and thus why kids can't participate in them). Sure, the kid would ENJOY winning, but I think we can make a case that the adult would enjoy it a whole lot more.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I still don't really see how requiring people to have been active for a couple of months or have a Bronze trophy is unfair. I mean, let's compare that to how Holidays work already, shall we?

- Someone joins two weeks after a Holiday release. Drat, you missed out on the CBs, but don't worry, next year you'll have a chance to get some nicely lineaged ones.

- Someone joins two weeks before a Holiday raffle. Drat, you can't participate in the raffle because you're so new, but don't worry, next year you'll have another chance.

Again, this isn't about preventing people who win from quitting the game, it's about increasing the odds that the winners will appreciate their prize a bit more beyond "ooh, shiny, but this game's getting boring so I'm going to leave a week after I won this thing."

Setting a requirment for the raffle dosnt sound so bad, but here's a thought.

What about depending on what trophy you are, it depends on what tinsel you get.

No Trophy - Nothing

Bronze - Bronze Prize

Ect

Because as far as I can tell, a CB Gold Tinsel is worth a fair bit more than a Bronze CB...

- Someone joins two weeks before a Holiday raffle. Drat, you missed out on this raffle because you just joined, but don't worry, next year you can try again.

Again, this isn't about preventing people who win from quitting the game, it's about increasing the odds that the winners will appreciate their dragon a bit more beyond "ooh, shiny, but this game's getting boring so I'm going to leave a week after I won this thing."

- Someone joins and plays for years, participates in events, wins a prize dragon, quits a week later due to the stagnant gameplay for which the forum community is vehemently opposed to further development, not to mention the sudden endless stream of PMs

Oh look, the prize is still "wasted".

Edited by Lythiaren

But their a more experianced player, and they will understand the worth of their prize and could gift the egg to somone else who isn't going to leave DC for a good few years.

Its all chance.

Rudeness removed. Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Okay, got through about 12 pages of reading most of it before I started skimming, so here's my thoughts, for what they're worth.

Things I agree on:

• MOAR PRIZE DRAGONZ! Even if it's just 100, more is always better, spread the love! It can't do anything for the Tinsels, but it can help prevent the new prizes from being as crazy rare as low-gen Tinsels were. Also, more HM slots to go along with more prize slots.
  • Bronze trophy restriction--to a degree, see below for details
  • Partial exclusion of former winners--again, see below for details

Things I don't agree on:

• Excluding anybody who doesn't have a trophy from eligibility
  • Complete banning of past winners from winning again

Trophy Limitation:

I do NOT think that no trophy should automatically mean you have no chance or a drastically reduced chance to win. However, I do think that there should be some bonus for having at least a bronze.

I'd propose one of these two things:

• Users who don't have a trophy are capped at getting 90% of the maximum possible raffle entries for that year
-or-

• Users who have a bronze trophy or higher are able to earn a bonus 10% of entries for that year.

It still would allow people to have a chance at winning--even if they joined the last day of the event, provided they could complete whatever task was required to give them at least one entry in time. It would reward people for sticking around--but not in a way that horribly skews the results in their favor.

However, in the event that it's a "one entry per person" raffle, then all users should be allowed their one entry, regardless of trophy level.

On former winners:

I personally think that a former winner shouldn't be allowed to win another of the dragon they already have. So, previous winners of Tinsels would be allowed a chance at these new prize dragons. But, if these new prize dragons were offered next year, those who win this year wouldn't be able to obtain another.

I do, however, like the idea of "if you win and have one already, you should have your spot swapped with one of the HMs", provided that HMs are done. If, for whatever reason, there is no HM list that year then you simply are skipped and your slot is re-selected.

Aaaaand, that's my $0.02. /slinks off

But their a more experianced player, and they will understand the worth of their prize and could gift the egg to somone else who isn't going to leave DC for a good few years.

Its all chance.

Actually, I don't think Prize Dragons are giftable. Not the CB's at least.

Do you get them as adults if you win!?

Wow, that could be changed....

It's not ineffective, because new players are STATISTICALLY more likely to quit than older ones. Oh dear, logic!

And the continuing trend of CLINGING TO STAGNATING DATED GAMEPLAY and CRIPPLING THE GAME'S DEVELOPMENT drives away older users already because the game is old, and ALIENATING NEW USERS and EXCLUDING THEM FROM EVENTS FOR WHICH THEY ARE PRESENT AND PARTICIPATING drives away new users, making the turnover even higher! Oh noes, more logic!

CAPS!

:D

I don't understand why we're yelling key terms. But this is fun.

Edited by Lythiaren

Do you get them as adults if you win!?

Wow, that could be changed....

Naw, they're eggs xd.png

I don't know if they can't be traded, but I wouldn't be surprised. GoNs can't be traded either, after all.

Ah, what if prize dragons can only be gifted? Then new players that leave wouldnt win, and old players that are leaving can give it to somone else.

Next year, I say we base eligibility on good forum behavior.

Bonus: No need to increase the number of prizes handed out.

Again, this isn't about preventing people who win from quitting the game, it's about increasing the odds that the winners will appreciate their prize a bit more beyond "ooh, shiny, but this game's getting boring so I'm going to leave a week after I won this thing." Going back to the RL lottery example: it's why people want adults to win lottos instead of ten year olds (and thus why kids can't participate in them). Sure, the kid would ENJOY winning, but I think we can make a case that the adult would enjoy it a whole lot more.

I agree completely with Angel here, it makes sense, though I like Pokemonfans idea of adding more prizes more than I like putting restrictions on everyone.

No, they are. Someone posted a screenshot of the abandon on their egg.

I really, really doubt that someone who enjoys the game and would normally stay would decide to quit solely because they couldn't participate in a single raffle.

Like I said, I don't think there's much difference between being two weeks late for a Holiday release and being two weeks too new a player for a raffle. In both cases, you'll have another chance; sure, that chance might not be as nice as the first opportunity (CBs are worth more than lineaged Holidays usually, and having two shots at a raffle is better than one shot), but it's still a chance.

I don't think that having things that depend on time (and again, we're talking like a few months or just 50 dragons, here!) are all that stagnated or horrible or mean to newcomers.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Hmmm.... one joins AFTER an event, the other joins BEFORE an event....

Yes, it would be unfair.

I can't see anything about that comparison that gives grounds for 'fairness'