TJ09

2012-10-30 - Halloween Update

People calling others selfish need to stop it, because it is rediculous and NOT helpful, thank you very much!

I work for our local charity and I spent today going door to door taking donations of money, food, blankets, candles and any friggin type of supplies ready for those folks in the US that are going through this. All around me people are galvanized into action to give any help they can. I and I bet, many others are doing everything they possibly can to help.

If it is selfish of me to point out the unfairness and inconvenience that the lack of a drop tomorrow poses for so many then that is beyond rediculous. I have been through massive power outtages, flooding, hurricanes and earthquakes. They are terrifying and my heart, my prayers and the supplies I gathered and continue to gather go out to the folks there. But I am not going to drop my life and stand in abject sorrow and sympathy and feel guilt for expecting life to go on in the rest of the world, because that helps no one.

Now all we are left with is inconvenienced and angry people, in addition to the folks struggling through the hurricane. Somehow this decision is not spreading a lot of goodwill....

Adrop tomorrow and on Nov 3rd would have been a much better thing.

Honestly, I think this would be best, after reading all comments (I already didn't like it, but TJ knows best right?).

I'm a bit nervous to say that I think it should be two dropping days o.e I mean... Even if TJ makes it so people can only have 1 dropping day per scroll, that'd be fine with me. I'm even MORE busy on that Saturday than I am on Halloween; as other people are too. Though if it is permanentally set in stone like this.. I guess we'll all just have to bear with it.

We all knew there would be complaints and compliments if TJ moved it, and I have both. Thank you for thinking about those so many without power and stuff, but a weekend....

Thank you Teejay for pushing back the schedule for those affected. It makes me increasingly happy that you did it.

I don't know if I'll be able to get on at all on Saturday, and that's quite all right with me. At least those going through some terrible times may have a positive surprise that brightens their day up a little bit, and at least you tried to push it back a bit for those who couldn't attend.

I may be inconvenienced, but at least I can be happy for those who are getting a chance. I really, really appreciate it.

For those of you affected by Sandy, please do not let some of the comments in this thread make you feel guilty about this. You take some time to take care of yourselves.

While changing the day of the drop is a nice gesture, the news stations have stated several times that there is every possibility that many parts hit by the hurricane will be without power for WEEKS, not simply days. I have no problem waiting for the dragons, but how long exactly is TJ planning to delay the drop? Until everyone has power again? Because that might not be, honestly, until the mid to the end of November.

Well. While I understand why TJ is moving the date back, that kinda sucks for the non-East Coast users. I know and understand this is selfish, but this is unfortunate for a lot of other people who have cleared their scrolls and prepared to stay up/wake up early for the October 31st drop. (Personally I have a swimming invite Saturday, but hopefully that will be over by dinner time, and I will get my 2012 Halloween eggs in the evening)

I don't know of a solution that would make everyone happy, so I guess I shouldn't be saying anything. I hope that everyone is safe and their houses/property were not damaged by the hurricane.

So...guess I'll just have to kick the snot out of Merasmus all day tomorrow instead of half of it to celebrate Halloween.

Still not happy about this, but I forgot that this is a site where all decisions are final and it's a regular occurrence for the few to take priority over the many and that no amount of logical arguing can change anything. Silly me.

I was hoping to take advantage of my college's high speed internet this year to catch the eggs, but oh well. I managed last year with my really slow internet at home and I'm sure I'll manage this year. Here in Michigan, we can really feel the winds from Superstorm Sandy; I can only imagine the damage she must be doing to the states she's actually hitting.

I'm sure those who have lost power or will lose power will be very happy to see TJ's announcement when their power returns; hopefully the majority of them will have their power returned before then. smile.gif

ETA: In case this isn't anywhere on this page, TJ has posted in this thread saying that this isn't about location; it's about the number of people affected.

It's not favoritism like some of you jumped to conclusion to believe. The people being affected might be a minority, but I have a good feeling that those who aren't being hit by Sandy and will no longer be able to catch eggs are an even smaller minority. Relax; I'm sure TJ knows what he's doing. wink.gif

Edited by Windnose

Thank you TJ for thinking of those in the hurricane affected area. I live 20 minutes from Atlantic City, have been not sleeping for days. So I am relieved to have it wait a while. And even though I DO have power by some miracle, I know that the majority of those in the megalopolis here on the east coast are not so fortunate. It might give those in the affected areas going through a hard time a nice surprise to find out it's been delayed. Going by the Atlantic Electric outage grid thousands a day are gaining power back, so a few days could make a huge difference. Also some of the areas are evacuated now, they should be allowed back in by the weekend. I'm sure it's the same in other affected states. Quite possible those of us in affected states vastly outnumber those in the rest of the regions not affected, and that's just going by how many visitors I see here online, and the huge reduction in visitors I have on my own DC fansite. We are just a very densely populated area and DC does have it's roots here on the east coast. Sad to see so many uncharitable complaints.

So...guess I'll just have to kick the snot out of Merasmus all day tomorrow instead of half of it to celebrate Halloween.

I'll see you there >:)

It can be argued both ways, really. Those saying that it's thoughtful of the drop to be moved are right. It is kind and thoughtful, and a lovely gesture. But it can also be argued that people that are suffering the effects of Sandy aren't really going to be majorly concerned about snatching a few new eggs - they're going to be more worried about their homes and futures. I also think that there is a valid point in stating that the affected people might not (probably won't, from my own past experiences) even have power back by Saturday. I won't be online Saturday; I will have to use friends and generous gifters to get my Halloween hatchies that I owe other people in the first place. I gave up a day of work that I needed, to be honest, for this Halloween drop. But hey, that has happened, and I can't change it. Nor can I change Sandy.

My sympathy lies with the people affected by Sandy, including some very dear friends. But I also have to say, what good is affecting the majority in order to suit the minority, when it might not even be a good move in the first place?

Just wanted to add that I am extremely grateful to TJ for actually taking the players of his game into consideration. I play others that wouldn't bat an eyelid as long as there are others to fill the slots and keep paying money. Whether I agree with the decision or not is irrelevant. Thanks, TJ!

Edited by Twilight Dream

I live in Louisiana. We have hurricanes quite frequently here, so I don't recall if DC has ever canceled an event for people in my situation. However, I can assure you, DC was not on my mind during Gustav, Isaac, or any other hurricane that knocked my power out for a week or so at a time.

That being said, I think canceling is nice gesture for those affected, although I confess to being very (personally) disappointed. I, too, made my schedule as such so that I could participate tonight and tomorrow. It seems to me that a limit on the eggs and two days of drops would solve things, but I am certainly not going to demand that, nor am I going to complain about it.

I based my decision on the number of affected users, not their location.

Uhm... You realise that the people affected ARE in the same area.. right?

So you ARE basing your decision on location. You didn't stop last halloweens drop because of the power-outs.. but because the "Great U. S. of A" gets affected by a storm... everyone else in the world has to stop and wait?

I'm sorry.. We send aid to MOST (not all, most) big disasters... but our lives don't stop because someone else is having a bad day, week, or year. Life goes on, people continue about their normal business.

To give one 'disaster' area more issues than another is poor planning, and certainly poor management.

I'm sure there will be many people on DC that will feel more than a slight annoyance towards those favoured by this decision. I know I will, especially if I can't rearrange my day on the third.

Nothing to really say, I hope the people in the vicinity of the storm are safe. I can't really have a solid opinion on either side of the coin because I live out of the area of the storm. I somewhat disagree, But only because I think the LAST thing I'd be worrying about is eggs if I was in the storm, and there are plenty of people here who could of gifted them to the unfortunate ones to lose power in the wake of Sandy.

I'll be here either way, but alot.png of people will likely be busy this weekend (Halloween parties for example that couldn't be held on the weekday).

While I am disappointed that the egg drop has been moved, I completely understand why. Yes, I made plans a month ago for Halloween but so did the people being affected by Sandy. If I was in their position, I would be unhappy because not only would I be experiencing all of the dangers of the hurricane, I would also be upset in knowing that I was missing the egg drop. Even if the drop was tomorrow there would still be people who couldn't be online. There will always be someone who can't be online on the day of a release.

I also realize that TJ's intentions were good and he certainly wouldn't ever intend to piss off a bunch of people. He wants to make this game fair for everyone. Especially since the East Coast of the U.S. has a HUGE population.

The people on the East Coast have gone through a lot these past two days and I think that it's a nice gesture from TJ to give them at least SOMETHING to be happy about this Halloween.

Even though I won't be affected by the upcoming hurricane, since I'm from Holland, I do support TJ's choice, even though this means that I won't be able to grab a single new halloween egg, since I'm not online during weekends.

It might be an option to give it a full day on the 31th and give it another shot during the weekends, for those who've been unable to grab one (due to any reason)

I can't believe people are being negative about this. I'm not in an affected zone either, but it doesn't hurt me to wait a few days for the Halloween eggs, so why would I complain about it? We already got some nice Halloween treats, and we'll get some more in a few days now too, so where's the harm?

Honestly, if you were going to get that cranky about the hurricane not being international enough to be worth accomodating, then Halloween isn't really an international enough holiday to be worth celebrating in the first place. *shrugs* I'm just happy to get the special dragons every year, really!

If "pixilated dragons don't matter" then why push back the drop in the first place? We're not talking about giving them food or clothes, we're talking about giving them a chance to get pixilated dragons.

This has nothing to do with people's lives. They're just as at stake no matter what happens here.

That said, I really don't care. My initial plans are shot, but I can be here Sat.

You might be surprised at how much little things count when your world has been turned upside down. I've just recently gone through Isaac and have done Katrina. The little distractions, like DC can make a huge difference in keeping your sanity while everything falls apart around you.

I'm impressed that TJ did this and I think that people really need to be supportive of those members who are struggling along through this mess.

Yes, the postponement screwed up my plans and I have to work Saturday, but it's a small price to pay to know that it stands a chance to make those who need the boost more than me just a little bit happy.

Meep, even if I dont get all the holoween sprites I just got the one I really wanted, the firy horse. Yay

I'm glad the date has been moved. smile.gif I just wish the reason wasn't so sad.

My eggs will have time to hatch and even though I have plans for Saturday, I'm sure they won't take 8 hours like school does.

Thank you TJ for thinking of those who have no power.

Though Texas wasn't any where close to that Hurricane, I appreciate your consideration for

those who were in the path.

For those folks out there belly aching because you won't get your Halloween Eggs on Halloween, well

so what. If you don't like what TJ has done, then go play another game. I think TJ is being fair to everyone. What would you have done if Dragon Cave had been in the path of that storm and went down because of that storm? If that had happened, then we probably wouldn't have any Halloween eggs at all this year. So shut up and appreciate what you have and what you have to look forward to.

Sorry Z, if I'm in trouble, then I'm in trouble.

Would this idea at all be possible?

Have the event happen normally on the 31st.

And then for a week or two depending on how long it takes for things to get normal for those affected by it. And have a new temporary biome. Where if you have NO halloween eggs, you can access and then have 24 hours from when you go into the biome to get new eggs. Then once the 24 hours are up, you don't have access anymore. And maybe as a extra security measure, have those eggs be like GoN's to where once you get it, you can't trade it.

What about that idea?

I was just thinking this.

I'm with others where I'm glad in theory and all.. but I am totally booked up on saturday, and friday evening. I wont be in town whatsoever, I'm taking care of family members. I had three hours this evening before work to do my egg hunting.

cest la vie.

Thank you TJ for thinking of those who have no power.

Though Texas wasn't any where close to that Hurricane, I appreciate your consideration for

those who were in the path.

For those folks out there belly aching because you won't get your Halloween Eggs on Halloween, well

so what. If you don't like what TJ has done, then go play another game. I think TJ is being fair to everyone. What would you have done if Dragon Cave had been in the path of that storm and went down because of that storm? If that had happened, then we probably wouldn't have any Halloween eggs at all this year. So shut up and appreciate what you have and what you have to look forward to.

Sorry Z, if I'm in trouble, then I'm in trouble.

QFT!

Reminder:

Members this is not a Rant/Vent topic, they are not allowed. You are allowed to be upset, you are allowed an opinion. When giving those opinions, please remember Rudeness is never necessary.

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?act=boardrules

Respect Others

It isn't possible to get far in the world if you refuse to respect others. Treat others kindly, don't insult them, and others will do the same in return. If you refuse to treat others well, then you will get not only a warning, but a bad reputation, which opens the door for more negativity.

Even though I won't be affected by the upcoming hurricane, since I'm from Holland, I do support TJ's choice, even though this means that I won't be able to grab a single new halloween egg, since I'm not online during weekends.

It might be an option to give it a full day on the 31th and give it another shot during the weekends, for those who've been unable to grab one (due to any reason)

Ask your friends to catch and send you the eggs.

I know I've got a bunch of people who have ask me to

send eggs their way, if I can catch enough.