TJ09

2012-10-30 - Halloween Update

I don't mind this postponement of the drop tell Saturday, I agree with the decision to wait. In fact it actually helped me out being that my computer has been acting wonky for days and actually froze up on me to where i had to get a brand new hard drive and all that oie mess. I just got it back today seen my babies are growing nicely, came here saw TJ's post which allowed me to run and fill up my scroll with more eggs. Last year i missed both the Halloween and Christmas drops due to illness that had me bed ridden.

I hope and pray all in the areas of this horrible hurricane will be ok, I have family and other people near and dear to my heart in the area of all this its pretty scary stuff just trying to make contact with them wondering if they are ok or not.

Saturday will come soon enough it wont hurt to wait a couple extra days

*expletive* I just remembered that I won't even be able to be online on November 3rd! ohmy.gif

I am sorry, but I am actually REALLY unhappy about this. I sympathise with those going through this hurricane and I am very glad that they will be able to be on and get eggs on Nov 3rd....but this seriously inconveniences other people who specifically moved schedules and made plans to be available for the drop on the 31st....now we can't get the new eggs.

Why not have the drop tomorrow AND again on Nov 3rd. An extra day for those affected by power outtages, without affecting those who are not.

If the hurricane is affecting TJ and the servers and the ability to do the drop at all then I can fully understand the move. But shifting it soley to another day...while solving the problem for some will cause problems for others.

I'd like to second this. Can we have two days of drops??

To quote:

- New day is a SATURDAY! That should make it easier for more people to participate, not less so. And honestly, catching Halloweens isn't as hard as some people seem to think it is--if you have even two hours free at all you should be able to catch all you need, and if not, there are loads of people hanging in IRC (myself included) who would love to help you get some.

1) Perhaps Saturday is an easier day for some, generally those who are in school. For those who have to schedule their time, Saturday is no different from any other day. If you want free time, you have to arrange it in advance.

2) Before you inform me that catching a particular egg is 'easier than I think it is', try accessing the internet in a geographical area with only two connection choices; Satellite, with a 3-second minimum delay time, or Wi-Fi, with anywhere from a 2-second to 3-second minimum delay time. For the most part, I'm skimming over what people say, but that claim offended me. Yes, I do happen to know how hard - or not - it is to catch eggs.

3) Not everyone uses IRC, or wants to have someone else catch their eggs for them. Part of the pleasure - for some - is in catching eggs for themselves. I don't choose to be anyone's charity case, personally.

People calling others selfish need to stop it, because it is rediculous and NOT helpful, thank you very much!

I work for our local charity and I spent today going door to door taking donations of money, food, blankets, candles and any friggin type of supplies ready for those folks in the US that are going through this. All around me people are galvanized into action to give any help they can. I and I bet, many others are doing everything they possibly can to help.

If it is selfish of me to point out the unfairness and inconvenience that the lack of a drop tomorrow poses for so many then that is beyond rediculous. I have been through massive power outtages, flooding, hurricanes and earthquakes. They are terrifying and my heart, my prayers and the supplies I gathered and continue to gather go out to the folks there. But I am not going to drop my life and stand in abject sorrow and sympathy and feel guilt for expecting life to go on in the rest of the world, because that helps no one.

Now all we are left with is inconvenienced and angry people, in addition to the folks struggling through the hurricane. Somehow this decision is not spreading a lot of goodwill....

Adrop tomorrow and on Nov 3rd would have been a much better thing.

Edited by Dubious

Well, I guess this isn't that bad. More time to hoard Marrow Dragons! biggrin.gif

All arguments and insults aside.

Is there actually a problem with the two day thing? Other than people want to catch together?

And people saying that peoples lives are at stake, is having the drop tomorrow actually going to change that?

I don't want to sound cruel, but this argument is becoming way out of proportion.

There are many things that I have typed and then erased. I think I will keep it simple and just state that the level of selfishness I am seeing here shocks and saddens me.

To quote:

- New day is a SATURDAY! That should make it easier for more people to participate, not less so. And honestly, catching Halloweens isn't as hard as some people seem to think it is--if you have even two hours free at all you should be able to catch all you need, and if not, there are loads of people hanging in IRC (myself included) who would love to help you get some.

1) Perhaps Saturday is an easier day for some, generally those who are in school. For those who have to schedule their time, Saturday is no different from any other day. If you want free time, you have to arrange it in advance.

2) Before you inform me that catching a particular egg is 'easier than I think it is', try accessing the internet in a geographical area with only two connection choices; Satellite, with a 3-second minimum delay time, or Wi-Fi, with anywhere from a 2-second to 3-second minimum delay time. For the most part, I'm skimming over what people say, but that claim offended me. Yes, I do happen to know how hard - or not - it is to catch eggs.

3) Not everyone uses IRC, or wants to have someone else catch their eggs for them. Part of the pleasure - for some - is in catching eggs for themselves. I don't choose to be anyone's charity case, personally.

Seconded - I know lots in the same position.

And yes, people CAN find time to reorganise and get eggs - but LOTS of people planned to have time off for tomorrow, or organised their day to give them some time to catch eggs. Not everyone can do that for the third, because they had planned it for tomorrow.

The fact that the storm has been known, and widely talked about, for at least a week.. it makes me wonder why everything is changed less than 12 hours before the drop is meant to happen.

TJ, whether you meant to or not.. you're creating a big wedge between American players and the rest of the world. It looks like you're favouring one country over the others... SO be warned, when the next drop comes, and there is an issue in one country - expect them to kick up a fuss and demand the drop gets put back for them, like you have done for Americans.

The loss of people's lives, loved ones, homes, property, etc. are more important than anyone's convenience.

And to reiterate, since everyone seems to be missing it: TJ lives on the east coast. It is possible that he, his family, or his friends, are being affected by the hurricane as well. Also, TJ might have just a little bit of trouble getting online to fix the game if the power goes out at his place during the event.

Personally, if I came back online to a belated egg drop and realized the price was other people losing out, it wouldn't make me feel much better.

Indeed. If I knew my eggs came at the expense of a vast majority that had to sacrifice their own so that I could have mine, I wouldn't exactly be jumping for joy. >_<

I work eight and a half hours on Saturday, during the day, and I can STILL find time for me to catch several eggs.

Not to mention I'm in one of the areas affected by the Hurricane!

Nature changes at a moment's notice, and while it was obvious that it was coming in at that it was /predicted/ that certain outcomes could/would happen, we do not know what WILL happen until it does.

For example, I didn't expect to watch one transformer after another blow up in my neighborhood last night and have half of my town lose power. Because we have over 70,000 people without power, we don't even have an estimated time that it'll be fixed. I'm grateful that TJ has bumped the time back, because you don't need a whole day to catch an egg. Really, you don't. Sitting there for a few hours, morning, afternoon, or otherwise, you are bound to catch at least one egg. If you don't catch more, then pardon me but that is too bad. I completely missed the Pumpkins, and I only grabbed one CB Marrow, and I am happy with that! The 'greedy' users of DC need to be less concerned with the 'gimmie, gimmie, gimmie' attitude of new and or Holiday releases, and accept that there are exceptional reasons why a release may be pushed back, one of them being that one-third of a country that holds the largest chunk of the DCs users in undergoing a storm that has cut off power among other disastrous features.

Seriously, to all those who are complaining, if you don't get a full set of the new dragons is it REALLY going to kill you?

If getting only one or two so that people without power now will have a chance later REALLY going to be so bad?

I know that if it was you lacking power and you had taken the time off, that you would be ticked if TJ HADN'T pushed the day back.

What made you think that I do not live in the area that was affected? I live in New York, I do not leave near the ocean, so nothing flooded, there is no power outages in the area, and outside there isn't much damage where I live. I'm pretty lucky. Oh good, you have a job, congratulations. Perhaps you do not remember the brine release. With the lag that happened then it was nearly impossible to get it. I can't imagine how hard it would be to get a limited time egg. Since I won't be near a computer for the whole weekend, the only access to the internet I would have would be a cell phone, do you know how "fast" 3g is? There is no chance I would be able to get an egg, and I'm sure many others that are out of town won't be able either. And you are very clever saying that I would be able to get an egg. Do you live my life too? Do you know all my plans or how much time will it take? I don't think so.

I'm sorry, the Halloween 2012 dragon was supposed to be the first CB Holiday egg I got, it was a crime for me to be excited, you're right. If I had no power and magically on November 3rd I would get it back, I'm sure I won't say "Oh look, the power is back! Forget about all the damage and all the things that flooded, Halloween 2012 eggs here I come!!!"

I'm sure those affected by the hurricane are grateful...but it does not bode well for me. And at such short notice, too. I times this to perfection, which is necessary for me since I cannot catch eggs as fast as others and will probably struggle anyways. Besides, everyone knew that there would be large areas of people affected earlier...we could have been told earlier. Now I'll probably end up with nothing. But hey, that's fine, right? Least the hurricane victims (who have bigger things to worry about) may have a chance at catching them instead.

It's not fair on the rest of the world for their plans to be messed up, it's like sacrificing the majority to spare the minority. Wrong way round.

*agree with this*

Drop day change one day for halloween is really not fair for all those people who moved heaven and hell to be online tomorrow. dry.gif

For those who say "come on, you will have 10 minutes free on saturday to be online..."

NO 10 minutes is really not enough to get maybe one egg. It's not Valentine's day, where the chances for users with slow connections get better the later it is, because of the two egg limit. It's Halloween. Those users can be lucky if they catch an egg by themselfes. sad.gif

America is not special. There are disasters all the time. And this was the closest thing to a Halloween party as I was going to get.

Yay, the drops are on Saturday! Thank you TJ! ^^

I can understand why some are upset. Some people might not have internet access this weekend, so it isn't as simple as taking a few minutes to hunt on a lunch break. I can see why some feel it isn't fair to move the drop (that is, moving it so some members have a chance, but causing others to miss the drop). I do like the idea of a two day drop, but I can understand the problems with that as well.

Still, I think moving the drop is a nice sentiment. I really feel for those suffering through this storm. It is just one big mess.

If it is selfish of me to point out the unfairness and inconvenience that the lack of a drop tomorrow poses for so many then that is beyond rediculous. I have been through massive power outtages, flooding, hurricanes and earthquakes. They are terrifying and my heart, my prayers and the supplies I gathered and continue to gather go out to the folks there. But I am not going to drop my life and stand in abject sorrow and sympathy and feel guilt for expecting life to go on in the rest of the world, because that helps no one.

Now all we are left with is inconvenienced and angry people, in addition to the folks struggling through the hurricane. Somehow this decision is not spreading a lot of goodwill....

Seconded.

It's promoting the fact that Dragoncave is favouring some members based on their geographical location.. Something that TJ means to promote? Only he can answer that.

When there is an issue in the UK on one of the drops, I'll be one of the first to demand the same treatment as this Halloween is getting because of the storm.

I think switching the halloween event to saturday is absurd!

The best solution for this situation is to have the halloween event go on as it was originally scheduled and then have another day, once the power comes back on, where the halloween dragon eggs will drop again for those who missed out.

Not to sound callous but, I think there are more people on DC that aren't affected by the power outages than those that are. It is nice that they are trying to make it so everyone can participate but there will always be some that will have conflicts with any day. The sucky part is everyone plans for this event well in advance and changing it now will make it so some who are able to participate on halloween won't get dragons because they can't be here on saturday.

Trust me when I say that flaming and bashing people that are likely to miss the drop on the 3rd won't make them feel better. Please stop. Personally, if I came back online to a belated egg drop and realized the price was other people losing out, it wouldn't make me feel much better.

That said, Saturday I should be wide open. If you need a catcher, PM me.

What about the players that do not have a forum account, or have one but never log in? How will they know of the date change?

I bet they are counting on a new release tomorrow.

It is just a question, out of curiosity. Personally I prefer the drop on the 31st because kids are at school and hubby at work so they don't eat bandwidth tongue.gif (we have only 1 Mb).

And to reiterate, since everyone seems to be missing it: TJ lives on the east coast. It is possible that he, his family, or his friends, are being affected by the hurricane as well. Also, TJ might have just a little bit of trouble getting online to fix the game if the power goes out at his place during the event.

Then why not state that in his post.

Wow.

I'm on the side of the people who appreciate the sentiment but don't see it as being particularly fair either.

Really wished it didn't have to happen (the hurricane) - I had made sure I had no plans specifically for today so I could make the initial drop since from prior experience, my success at catching new eggs decreases with the time the eggs have been available. Now I won't even have a chance because I'm working on the 3rd. :\

I do understand why the move was made but I guess it's just frustrating. Makes me wonder if something like this happened in Australia or some other "remote" country whether a huge shift would occur. Probably not.

I'd much prefer the drops being extended instead of a complete move but eh, not my game, not my control I suppose.

I ave school but would still rather have the release tomorrow. Now it interferes with NaNoWriMo :/

thank you very much! At my house we were only without power for a few hours in teh middle of the night, but the otehr end of town wasn't as lucky, and I know that many places will be out of power for days. Hang in there, everyone affected by Hurricane Sandy, we're rooting for you.