TJ09

2012-10-30 - Halloween Update

I live in the UK here, so obviously I'm not personally affected by the hurricane at all. But I'm really disappointed in some of the userbase here screaming about what an 'injustice' it is.

People's lives, their homes and their livelihoods. These things are far more important than collectable pixilated dragons. Pixilated dragons aren't real, you guys. People are.

Let's try to remember that, shall we?

Exactly. I'm sure the last thing that'd be on these people's minds is the fact that they might miss out on a few dragon eggs. It's been spoiled for them, and that's nothing compared to what they are going through in real life. My friends who play who have lost their homes in the past couple of days, they couldn't care less about getting eggs at this moment. Fact is, I can't change the effects of the hurricane. People's lives have been wrecked. Moving the release date of new dragons, isn't really going to make a difference. Most of the people affected probably won't have power back by then anyways, or could well have lost laptops and computers anyways. It's silly to assume that those affected will be back in time for the new drop.

Edited by Twilight Dream

To the people saying, "Oh, you can't get a few minutes to catch the eggs on Saturday?":

It can take HOURS to catch holiday eggs. That's why people make plans to be there on the day the event is scheduled.

Sock: I extend my best wishes toward Sandy's victims, but some people /can't/ change their schedules. Why not drop them twice? That's the best option. Win-win. Maybe even put in a filter so that if you caught some on the 31st, you can't on the second drop (If possible).

This.

A chance at some eggs as opposed to no eggs, for those of us who are not likely to get a chance to be free saturday,

I took two days vacation for this event, and will instead be working 12 hour shifts on the weekend. With other family events, it's not likely I'll have much time to stalk the cave.

If scroll can be coded for wing colors, sweetling alts, holiday breed limits I would think it should be possible to limit a second event to those who have no new eggs/ hatchlings on their scrolls. It would mean that the second day the AP wouldn't be free for regular drops, but that would be a small price to pay IMO.

As far as waiting to have everyone together for a community event, if this thread is any indication that possibility is already gone. Too many of us made other plans that can't be changed at a moments notice. We can't/won't be here Saturday. sad.gif

I live in Massachusetts and towns in my area have power outages for days. I hope everyone can have fun and are safe.

Yep. Especially if you have a crappy computer, it took me about a day to catch a Brine during the new release hype, and that's not even as big as the holiday releases. Of course, putting my two cents in here won't change anything but Twilight has a point, people in this hurricane will have more on their minds than a mere game.

I'm not trying to sound selfish. I hope everyone victimized by Sandy is okay. But I think it would be most fair for there to be 2 drops and a way to prevent users from grabbing twice.

I live in the UK here, so obviously I'm not personally affected by the hurricane at all. But I'm really disappointed in some of the userbase here screaming about what an 'injustice' it is.

People's lives, their homes and their livelihoods. These things are far more important than collectable pixilated dragons. Pixilated dragons aren't real, you guys. People are.

Let's try to remember that, shall we?

Yes, and this is exactly why if I had just lost my home the LAST thing I would be thinking about is DC. I get the sentiment behind this, but really, it's misguided. Giving money to rebuild after the storm would truly help. Pushing a pixel dragon release back 3 days to when they'll all be way too busy surviving or waiting out the power cut ? It's nice and everything, but I'm not sure it's very effective.

Which is why I think that yes, users who have scheduled for this months in advance d deserve a voice. Guilt tripping them is unfair too and the argument behind all of this truly does go both ways.

As far as waiting to have everyone together for a community event, if this thread is any indication that possibility is already gone. Too many of us made other plans that can't be changed at a moments notice. We can't/won't be here Saturday. sad.gif

Not to mention all the people pointing out that the majority of people with power out now will continue to have it out upwards of a week. Pushing it back by four days won't help them.

I'm sorry if I come off as heartless, but it's true.

The feel-good kumbaya attitude vs. the grabby hands attitude

hee hee For some reason that made me lol, and I needed that. xd.png

Adding a limit to Halloween Dragons, the one Holiday Dragon that does /not/ hat a limit, is a whole 'nother can of worms to open.

That would anger users more, splitting the days AND having a limit.

It is PLENTY fair for TJ to have pushed the date back so that the east coast and other areas affected by the storm, (Which, have you seen recently? It is HUGE, covering areas further than the east coast.) PLENTY of time to catch the eggs or recieve them from another source.

Plenty of time to catch the eggs on the 3rd? For you maybe rolleyes.gif There are plenty of ways for people who were affected by hurricane to get the eggs too. Have you seen the Frankenstorm gifting thread? The hurricane was announced a week ago. The damage that could happen because of it was also announced a week ago. This event should have been delayed then too and not a day before.

All other Halloween events will proceed as planned and will end tomorrow night at 23:59.

^I think it's safe to say that zombies will still be a go. After all, they are every year. The drops give you one day to collect CBs that will never appear in-cave again.

If anyone needs me to catch eggs for them on Saturday and give them one or two just PM me. I can totally understand that some people may have no power.

I don't mind the 2 day drops, but I do mind the 7 egg limit.

I want clarification, will it just be for a day there will be a limit? Because I have.. uh.. that which shall not be named on the forum... for hatchlings. =/

I am really disappointed in some members of the community here. Its a GAME. Lives matter, pixels do not. We are lucky we are getting a release at all. With how Sandy is, it could of been DC servers getting wiped out in the disaster. We are fortunate to have avoided that unfortunate likelyhood.

Grow up please.

People wonder why I don't visit the forums often......

TJ, I applaud you for moving the drop to Saturday, its not just a courtesy, its a gesture that shows you care and that this hurricane is really affecting many peoples lives, not just those who live on the east coast. I will be here on Friday night, 9pm my time to participate in the drop as if nothing happened, and I am grateful DC survived the storm.

I... really don't see why everyone's so miffed about this, honestly.

- New day is a SATURDAY! That should make it easier for more people to participate, not less so. And honestly, catching Halloweens isn't as hard as some people seem to think it is--if you have even two hours free at all you should be able to catch all you need, and if not, there are loads of people hanging in IRC (myself included) who would love to help you get some.

- Sure, this might not cover everyone who lost power, but... it might help SOME, which is the whole point, no? smile.gif

- And best of all for those of us who aren't affected--this means we can now raise more old Halloweens without having to worry about being unlocked for tomorrow! biggrin.gif

I understand that it's kind of symbolically nice to have Halloween dragons be released on, well, Halloween, but at the end of the day it isn't the MOST important thing. And it's not like you're being cheated out while everyone else gets Halloween ones, it's all being moved back, so your Halloweens won't be worth anything less just because their date doesn't have Oct. 31st stamped on it. wink.gif

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Just wanted to make it clear - I'm sorry to those who think I'm being heartless by saying what I did in my last post. I'm not. Like I've said before, I have close friends who've lost everything to Sandy. I'm not saying that the people affected don't deserve consideration and sympathy, what I'm saying is, is pushing the release of new eggs back 4 days going to make a difference, really?

I have one question and I'd really like to hear an answer:

Let's imagine, this hurricane wouldn't hit the US American east coast, and half of, e.g. Japan would be without power for the 31st.

Would the drop of the new eggs also be delayed?

If not, we do have a whole new level of injustice here.

Here we go.

Monday, October 31. 2011. Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia were swimming. 370 people have died. The deadly snowstorm on US East Coast killed at least six people and left more than three million homes without electricity.

it's two am here and I have school in the morning so I can't properly research all of it. Will do more tomorrow.

But, from what I found out in a five minute search, it seems that pretty much every day we have some natural disaster.

While I understand that this may be "good" in theory..

What about all the other drops that have happened despite other things happening around the world?

If there is a big power blackout in the UK during Christmas drop.. will you hold that one back too? Or is this a game solely for Americans, that only takes into account American disasters?

As people have said, there was a disaster on Halloween last year in Japan - did you stop the drop for them too?

Don't think I like the way this website (and game) is heading if Americans get special treatment. It should be equal for EVERYONE.

Edited by Flamemynx

I'd bet money that out of the 24 hours on Saturday you could find SOME time to catch an egg.

Not for me.

I have plans to take a trip for the weekend which I cannot now cancel without letting a lot of other people down. The only access I will have is via my smartphone over the telephone link. It isn't going to be good enough to catch a cold never mind a holiday dragon.

Gifting won't help me either - I'm not going to be able to accept any transfers until Monday evening at the earliest.

Edited by dragonsoup

Trust me when I say that flaming and bashing people that are likely to miss the drop on the 3rd won't make them feel better. Please stop. Personally, if I came back online to a belated egg drop and realized the price was other people losing out, it wouldn't make me feel much better.

That said, Saturday I should be wide open. If you need a catcher, PM me.

Crap. I just realized I won't be here all day Saturday. Maybe I can get my friend to catch me a new release dry.gif

Plenty of time to catch the eggs on the 3rd? For you maybe rolleyes.gif There are plenty of ways for people who were affected by hurricane to get the eggs too. Have you seen the Frankenstorm gifting thread? The hurricane was announced a week ago. The damage that could happen because of it was also announced a week ago. This event should have been delayed then too and not a day before.

I work eight and a half hours on Saturday, during the day, and I can STILL find time for me to catch several eggs.

Not to mention I'm in one of the areas affected by the Hurricane!

Nature changes at a moment's notice, and while it was obvious that it was coming in at that it was /predicted/ that certain outcomes could/would happen, we do not know what WILL happen until it does.

For example, I didn't expect to watch one transformer after another blow up in my neighborhood last night and have half of my town lose power. Because we have over 70,000 people without power, we don't even have an estimated time that it'll be fixed. I'm grateful that TJ has bumped the time back, because you don't need a whole day to catch an egg. Really, you don't. Sitting there for a few hours, morning, afternoon, or otherwise, you are bound to catch at least one egg. If you don't catch more, then pardon me but that is too bad. I completely missed the Pumpkins, and I only grabbed one CB Marrow, and I am happy with that! The 'greedy' users of DC need to be less concerned with the 'gimmie, gimmie, gimmie' attitude of new and or Holiday releases, and accept that there are exceptional reasons why a release may be pushed back, one of them being that one-third of a country that holds the largest chunk of the DCs users in undergoing a storm that has cut off power among other disastrous features.

Seriously, to all those who are complaining, if you don't get a full set of the new dragons is it REALLY going to kill you?

If getting only one or two so that people without power now will have a chance later REALLY going to be so bad?

I know that if it was you lacking power and you had taken the time off, that you would be ticked if TJ HADN'T pushed the day back.

As someone who doesn't live in the USA: I don't think that would be an injustice. The majority of Dragon Cave's player base just happens to be from the USA, so USA events will have a greater impact on the community than events anywhere else in the world.

I second this. The reality is that most of DC's players--not all, certainly, but MOST--live in the USA. If a disaster happened in a South American country, or in a smaller Asian country, things probably wouldn't be put on hold for them because of the simple reality that if you put things on hold every time a bad thing happens for anyone, then nothing will ever get done. You should tip your hat to the courtesy, small as it is, rather than sneering at it because TJ's not going to delay things for every one of the countless tragedies that happen each day. It was a pretty nasty thing ripping up his (and my own) home country, and he was thoughtful enough to try to do something about it. There's nothing malicious or unjust about that.

I can't believe all the "unfair" talk going on here. It's.... horrible.

TJ is trying to help the many, MANY users who are being affected by this horrible storm. How is that "unfair"?

We ALL still get 24 hours to catch eggs. I don't care what "plans" you have, if you want those eggs you can find 10 minutes in those 24 hours to grab them. 24 hours is a LOT of time to be able to grab eggs. No one, *no one* works 24 hours, or has every single minute of a 24 hour day taken up. Grab on your lunch break. Get up earlier then usual and grab then. Grab while your kids are playing. Grab whenever you can. 24 hours is PLENTY of time, no matter what the actual date.

Amen to that!

Always think positive and TJ is doing a very kind thing here. Plus you can always breed and pickup more past halloween breeds in the AP and wait until next year to get this years Halloween breed.