TJ09

2012-10-30 - Halloween Update

Well, that cancels Halloween for me. sad.gif I had it all planned, and now there's no way I'll be able to pick up eggs on the new date. I was looking forward to this all year.

I know people are having it rough with Sandy, and it's a nice gesture, but it means a lot of other people are now going to miss it.

at least it's not like your home is being ravaged by a ~Remove~ hurricane

Just because we weren't affected by the ~Remove~ hurricane, doesn't mean that we don't have other ~Remove~problems to deal with every single day, and it doesn't mean that we HAVEN'T been affected by other natural disasters in the past! mad.gif People lose homes every ~Remove~ day, because they lose their jobs, they lose their income. People DIE every single day. Should we all spend 24/7 in misery, blubbering over the fates of every ~Remove~stranger on the planet? Get real here people. We have sympathy, we have empathy, but do YOU spend your entire life bemoaning the fate of every victim of every tragedy that ever happens? Yeah, I didn't think so. dry.gif

~Unnecessary swearing removed, Please read the board rules.~

Edited by _Z_

rude comments are everywhere in the thread. i'm surprised that you were surprised.

I have seen very few legitimately rude comments in this thread and I've followed it from page three.

Not agreeing with someone's views isn't rude. Telling someone they have no life because they took some time off to catch an event on a game they enjoy is.

comment removed

No, they really don't. There was a natural disaster, and although the people most effected probably won't get a chance to grab eggs or be concerned about that, the people less effected but still suffering from stuff like water damage or power outages might get a chance they otherwise didn't have. You have a choice. You can at ANY point during the 24 hours try to get eggs. Or try to find people to gift. They can't, because a lot of them don't have internet. Moving it doesn't hurt you, at most it mildly inconveniences you. Suck it up.

Edited by rubyshoes

While I also feel this to be awesome on your part for the victims I'm also very disappointed I'm off work tomorrow and was intending to be up all night through tomorrow having difficulty catching dragons on an iPod but I work Saturday. sad.gif

with all this talk about ppl now can't make it on sat because of tight schedules, pre-arranged plan. can we have a new thread:

Gifting to peopl who can't make Nov 3rd

i'm serious. if we can set up a thread to help those affected by sandy, why can't we set up a thread to help those affected by last minute rescheduling?

Perhaps there are less people logging onto DC not because their power is out, but because they have *more important* things to do, like monitoring the weather and staying safe? I'm sure there are lots of people who have power but are/were paying more attention to the various news stations than a dragon pixel game.

Seconded.

The idea that Halloween has been 'postponed' because it would mean a drop in revenue for TJ is an interesting thought though... I hadn't thought of that.

NOT EVERYONE IS RICH ENOUGH, NOR DO THEY HAVE NICE ENOUGH JOBS TO JUST TAKE A DAY OFF AT A MOMENT'S NOTICE.

Why would anybody need to take a day off work to catch Halloween eggs? They drop for 24 full hours. So no matter what time zone you're in, and no matter what shift you work, you can catch them when you get off work. I've never taken a day off from work for DragonCave in my life, and I've had no problem catching all the new release eggs.

~Inappropriate content removed~

So? Like you said, they're just pixels. Since you obviously don't think the eggs are that important, why do you care when the event is? Why are you wasting our time with pointless griping?

Edited by _Z_

Not understanding why people are so mad, tbh.

We did our best to make this event happen but it's apparently all our fault because we didn't plan for the biggest hurricane in recorded history to be born 9 days before the big release and smash into the eastern seaboard yesterday? Clearly we should be able to see into the future and somehow prevent a gigantic storm from tearing things up, spitting sharks into people's yards, flooding New York and killing over a hundred people. But what we should really be worried about is those people who are flipping out because they booked off work to F5 spam on a website.

Our bad, I guess.

Edited by Lythiaren

I think this is a really nice thing to do. Even if I'm not directly affected by the hurricane, I still think it's nice to put the whole of the DC population into your thoughts rather than just some of us. I'm not going to complain about the delay - it would be nice to have them tomorrow, but I'm all for waiting it out so that others can have their fair share of eggs. c:

with all this talk about ppl now can't make it on sat because of tight schedules, pre-arranged plan. can we have a new thread:

Gifting to peopl who can't make Nov 3rd

i'm serious. if we can set up a thread to help those affected by sandy, why can't we set up a thread to help those affected by last minute rescheduling?

I was planning to do this!

You can at ANY point during the 24 hours try to get eggs. Or try to find people to gift.

I can. I certainly can. But realizing that there are people who genuinely cannot at all possibly because they're taking a day off on Halloween and so they may have to work even more on their weekends and so they're working all day on Saturday doesn't take a huge leap of faith either.

I have an idea but i don't think it will work:

Release the eggs as usual but leave them in the cave for a week or two but people only have 24 hours after they first log in to grab as many eggs as they can before they are unable to grab any more eggs. Everyone wins and nobody can hatch their eggs and go back to the cave to grab more. You might have to make people unable to trade these eggs so the last few people to get these eggs might take advantage.

I hope this works but I doubt it

I like this idea. I'm sure there were plenty of other arrangements that could have been made than moving the date.

Edited by roxasxaxel

For anyone who won't be able to be on during the postponed drop, feel free to PM me. I plan on catching for those who can't, so I can take a few early requests. smile.gif

No, they really don't. There was a natural disaster, and although the people most effected probably won't get a chance to grab eggs or be concerned about that, the people less effected but still suffering from stuff like water damage or power outages might get a chance they otherwise didn't have. You have a choice. You can at ANY point during the 24 hours try to get eggs. Or try to find people to gift. They can't, because a lot of them don't have internet. Moving it doesn't hurt you, at most it mildly inconveniences you. Suck it up.

Your argument is the one that doesn't work. There's nothing that can be done about the hurricane. Moving the date deliberately screws over people.

Wow. The viciousness on this thread is, quite frankly, horrifying - from both sides.

Honestly, if there's no new information coming from TJ in regards to this, and everyone is just harping at everyone else, why bother keeping this thread open? It's just making people more upset, and there are some things being said that are just totally crossing a line (I'm sorry, comparing arguing over this with the HOLOCAUST? SERIOUSLY?). (The post that mentioned the holocaust has since been edited - thank you OP).

I can't even bring myself to continue following this thread anymore.

TJ, assuming something happens and the drop date changes from the planned Sat drop, will you be creating a new post, or updating the first post on this thread?

Edited by forcryinoutloud

rude comments are everywhere in the thread. i'm surprised that you were surprised.

Closing this topic for a bit, while I deal with rudeness and other problems.

Reopening topic:

Please remember personal attacks will not be tolerated. Feel free to use the report tool as needed.

Board rules apply http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?act=boardrules

Edited by _Z_

Due to the widespread power outages caused by Hurricane Sandy, the new Halloween Dragon planned to drop tomorrow will be delayed until Saturday, November 3 (from 0:00 to 23:59). If necessary, the event will be further delayed to ensure that everyone can participate.

All other Halloween events will proceed as planned and will end tomorrow night at 23:59.

That's awesome, TJ. I'm sure those affected will greatly appreciate it.

TJ, thank you for your kindness. Hurricanes, Tsunamis, and even server outages, you try to be fair to so many of us.

So? Like you said, they're just pixels. Since you obviously don't think the eggs are that important, why do you care when the event is? Why are you wasting our time with pointless griping?

Because you're turning a purely logistical issue into a MORAL one.

You're the ones calling the people who don't want their Halloween ruined by the change selfish when it's just as selfish to change the date. You're the ones dragging in a bunch of crap about dead families and "helping" the victims.

This has nothing to do with helping the victims. A pixilated dragon's not going to help. If you want to help, donate a blanket.

There's no moral superiority to either option. Someone will get screwed over. Either by a hurricane or by a choice.

I don't care when the eggs drop. I'm sick of people riding around on their high horses passing judgement on the people who disagree with them.

I can. I certainly can. But realizing that there are people who genuinely cannot at all possibly because they're taking a day off on Halloween and so they may have to work even more on their weekends and so they're working all day on Saturday doesn't take a huge leap of faith either.

If you booked off work to hunt and can't make it on Saturday, what's stopping you from using that time you already booked off to sleuth the forums and make arrangements to get eggs...?

Thank you for the update TJ.

And all those being affected by the storm, we are praying for you so be safe out there.

Edited by majors

Thanks for the heads up smile.gif Just last week we had a fairly large but weak hurricane pass through our yard (only had that twice, they are rare in the Adelaide Hills), and although this one didn't do much damage, a stronger one a couple years ago ripped the shelter off our garage. I have been looking on the wiki and tracking the hurricane, and I can sympathize greatly with those people there. If the weak one we had damaged our shed, I hate to think what the largest hurricane recorded in the Atlantic would be doing.

Of course I am dissapointed to have to wait a bit, but I'm sure my views would be way different if I was in the thick of the storm. I only hope everyone pulls through alright.

But Rayden, the thing is that the convenience angle ("Oh, but I have less free time this day than that day") goes equally in both directions. Just as many people have said "Hurray, the 3rd is much better for me" as have said "Oh no, I am busy all day on the 3rd!" It's more convenient for some people, and less convenient for others.

On the other hand, MANY more people are affected by a natural disaster tomorrow than are going to be affected by one on the weekend. Plus the traffic patterns may make it a much better event day for DC itself.

When you look at it logically, there's no way to think that tomorrow would be a better day for the majority of people. It's hard to believe that the majority of people in the world work on Saturdays but not Wednesdays. I don't know of any country where that's the usual case-- do you?

But Rayden, the thing is that the convenience angle ("Oh, but I have less free time this day than that day") goes equally in both directions. Just as many people have said "Hurray, the 3rd is much better for me" as have said "Oh no, I am busy all day on the 3rd!" It's more convenient for some people, and less convenient for others.

On the other hand, MANY more people are affected by a natural disaster tomorrow than are going to be affected by one on the weekend. Plus the traffic patterns may make it a much better event day for DC itself.

When you look at it logically, there's no way to think that tomorrow would be a better day for the majority of people. It's hard to believe that the majority of people in the world work on Saturdays but not Wednesdays. I don't know of any country where that's the usual case-- do you?

Yes, yes, and yes! Well said, Tjekan. smile.gif

Sure, the people in the worst hit areas might still not have power back on within three days, but--MORE will have power back on then will have power TOMORROW, which is the point, as said by the quoted post of awesome logic.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy