TJ09

2012-10-30 - Halloween Update

What about zombies? Are they delayed as well? And glad you delayed it. Not that it would've affected me personally.

Yes, but Sock, you completely cut out the part where I said, "Maybe even put in a filter so that if you caught some on the 31st, you can't on the second drop (If possible)."

This would not make people who like to get holidays on the first day of the drop happy. Not to mention the unfair advantage given to those of us with power who could now catch up to 14 of the new dragons without trading and who would have less competition on the first day yet would be adding to the competition for those affected by the hurricane.

Some people can't, but there's always next year. Schedule problems are vastly different than having to keep safe from a hurricane.

People have to think about something when they're staying safe from the storm or have no power. Besides, why shouldn't DC care about a very large portion of its userbase being taken away from the game because of a natural disaster? DC could not run without its users and it'd be rather callous of us to say 'well, you can't get on because a hurricane is tearing up your portion of the country? Sorry, better luck next year!'

Which big natural disaster that happened during a holiday or even on a new release did we ignore?

It is unfair for those of us who did plan this. We could have at least been told earlier...it's been all over the news for days now that places were going to be greatly affected. Sure, it might be a bit mean of me to say that "I want dragons" when people have lost homes etc. I feel for them, I really do...I have close friends who are in evacuation centers with flooded homes and no power.

There is always next year?

Exactly! The people affected by Sandy would get other releases. I will too, but I sure don't appreciate having to needle away at my boss to get time to catch eggs - an effort that although successful is now useless. Yeah, that's how much I love this game. Sad, but true.

Edited by Twilight Dream

Yes, but Sock, you completely cut out the part where I said, "Maybe even put in a filter so that if you caught some on the 31st, you can't on the second drop (If possible)."

Or add a breed limit for the year. Max of 7. It may actually help people to get the max for their trophy level to have 2 drops - fewer people to compete against.

I'm glad he is taking into consideration the victims of Hurricane Sandy, but I think the thing that bothers me the most about this is the really late notice about this.

TJ has been very aware of the Hurricane for quite a good while, if anything I thought a delay would have been announced much earlier, not this late into the game.

Unfortunately, even knowing about the hurricane isn't always enough.

News broke this morning that the levee in NJ broke and just last night the transformer in NYC exploded, leaving half the city without power. This adds a lot of users affected by things not in our control and leaves tons of people without power that did previously have it.

~

I didn't even mention people who are dealing with flooding issues earlier, either. This is no small deal.

This is a huuuuge hurricane. Probably the worst since Katrina. The damage has been extensive. Can't we just extend a little courtesy to these users and wait for them to enjoy the event with us? 3=

Won't it be more fun to have the dragon released to us all at the same time? A lot of the fun of these DC events is the community. All of us discovering things at once and the excited chatter brought on by the adrenaline of the event? That's a lot of what makes it fun. I'd love to give a chance to the whole community to participate in it. <3

I cut it out because I was not replying to it there. But see above, please.

For those freaking out...

I agree, it would be awesome to have two days of drops, and I'm hoping TJ decides to edit his original decision and do that!!! But it's also pretty much a guarantee that a gifting thread will be set up for the people whose schedule has been screwed with - after all, there's already a thread for those affected by Sandy. There's a ton of really wonderful people on here who are willing to catch for those unable to do so; all you have to do is be polite, really. smile.gif

Unfortunately, even knowing about the hurricane isn't always enough.

News broke this morning that the levee in NJ broke and just last night the transformer in NYC exploded, leaving half the city without power. This adds a lot of users affected by things not in our control and leaves tons of people without power that did previously have it.

~

I didn't even mention people who are dealing with flooding issues earlier, either. This is no small deal.

This is a huuuuge hurricane. Probably the worst since Katrina. The damage has been extensive. Can't we just extend a little courtesy to these users and wait for them to enjoy the event with us? 3=

Won't it be more fun to have the dragon released to us all at the same time? A lot of the fun of these DC events is the community. All of us discovering things at once and the excited chatter brought on by the adrenaline of the event? That's a lot of what makes it fun. I'd love to give a chance to the whole community to participate in it. <3

I cut it out because I was not replying to it there. But see above, please.

Sadly, from what I'm seeing here, most of the people you're talking to now won't be. That's why they're upset.

I agree that it's good that you pushed it back, but you're not going to be able to explain to anyone asking for two days why pushing it back is better, because to them, it isn't.

This would not make people who like to get holidays on the first day of the drop happy. Not to mention the unfair advantage given to those of us with power who could now catch up to 14 of the new dragons without trading and who would have less competition on the first day yet would be adding to the competition for those affected by the hurricane.

The only 'unfair' thing I see here is the cancelling of the event. Those of us that made plans to be here are getting the shaft here any way you want to slice it. WE might not be able to get the eggs now. It's not like it's our fault that our power stayed on! And because we weren't affected, we should be thrilled to have our plans ruined for the sake of those that were? I guess I'm just not that nice. I'm pissed that this event is cancelled considering what I had to pull to be here. While I feel all the sympathy in the world for those affected by sandy, it doesn't change the fact that I feel I'm being punished because I wasn't. I don't know if I can be here Saturday. Am I supposed to be happy that I had to give up my chance to get the eggs for the sake of others? Maybe I should be. But I'm not.

I don't agree with the 'limit of 7' idea posted around here.

Because I will want 8 CB's of the new Halloween dragons. Something that I won't be able to get next year or any other time. v.v

Like many others I'm disappointed and not too convinced about the usefulness of the change - how many affected by Sandy will even know about and be able to participate on the new day, compared to how many people it will keep from hunting who'd otherwise have been able to hunt.

But despite all that I still think that it is a good gesture. Now if we could get two drops, that would be the perfect solution for everyone of course. biggrin.gif But I support the decision either way. Thanks!

Which big natural disaster that happened during a holiday or even on a new release did we ignore?

FWIW, the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami and the resulting Fukushima nuclear disaster coincided almost exactly with the March 11 drop.

I'm team two-drops as well.

I mean, it preobably shouldn't be difficult to apply a 7-per-scroll limit to them until they start to grow up, so nobody can get more than anyone else...

Thank you TJ, for thinking of the people who are going through this horrible disaster. Makes the world a little brighter when the younger generation thinks about others in their time of trouble.

The best part about the delay...

Yay!! More breeding & trading!!!! biggrin.gif

For those freaking out...

I agree, it would be awesome to have two days of drops, and I'm hoping TJ decides to edit his original decision and do that!!!

It won't happen. TJ's decision is final once it's said. wink.gif

Edited by earthgirl

Why not just drop them both days, and impose a temporary limit on egg claims to be removed when the second drop is over? I'd say seven eggs - though that means those who normally wouldn't be able to get seven at a time can get a total of seven out of both drops. I'd be content with five, myself.

I'm also interested in how the Zombie chances will work. If I read TJ09's post right, it should proceed as normal. I'd like confirmation of that, though.

First of all, I really hope everything is alright.

Doesn't this also give us an unfair advantage? After all, we have more time to get the old Halloween dragons.

There is just one reason why I feel this should have been done differently.

Everybody knew that Sandy was coming. Everybody who looked up just one article knew there would be power outages, that people would loose homes. People saw the damage coming.

So why weren't we told earlier?

That's not something they can help. Your schedule is.

I'm afraid I disagree: People not affected by the hurricane are not bubbles of isolation, either.

For example (and others have been made), I can't actually change that I'm moving apartments on the 5th of November (unless I'm willing to lose a few hundred EURs, which I'm really not), so I'm hoping the event drop stays where it is now, rather than being postponed further, since I'll be squarely in a no-internet zone starting on the fifth. Which is okay (honestly; I can deal), but... yeah, it's a given.

People's lives are in danger, but as far as the Dragon Cave event for them goes:

(1) the community already had a Trading thread set up for exactly these people, as an effort to be nice to the people affected this way; the community was thus already accommodating for these people, that's something to celebrate and rejoice about, it's warm and considerate and extremely thoughtful,

(2) it is indeed far more important that the people affected by Sandy are alive and well, and the game... just isn't as important as that. In other words, what happens in this game effectively doesn't factor into the misery caused by the hurricane at all. That argument works both ways. It might be a bit unfortunate that it works both ways (honestly, it makes me cringe to have to point it out), but it does.

The community has a long-standing history of having a "not there for the event? tough luck, you know when it's happening, you can make time for it then" attitude. I'm not actually a huge fan of that attitude, but I've observed it quite rampantly across the Suggestion forums before - and now the people who listened to that exact advice are a bit... stranded.

Please don't misunderstand me, by the way... I'm quite capable of coping with the idea of not getting caveborns of this release and none of them whatsoever until next Halloween. I even support TJ's decision (if only barely); but I absolutely understand the frustration, and I don't think it's right to brush it off.

I have one question and I'd really like to hear an answer:

Let's imagine, this hurricane wouldn't hit the US American east coast, and half of, e.g. Japan would be without power for the 31st.

Would the drop of the new eggs also be delayed?

If not, we do have a whole new level of injustice here.

I don't know if I can be here Saturday.  Am I supposed to be happy that I had to give up my chance to get the eggs for the sake of others?  Maybe I should be.  But I'm not.

I'd bet money that out of the 24 hours on Saturday you could find SOME time to catch an egg.

Edited by Inutomaru

I like the date bump, for all that it means I'll be going to work Saturday with little or no sleep. I'll take no sleep if it means a few people up north can get a little good to go with their very bad.

Well, on the plus side, more breeding for our dragons.

I know its on short notice and its unfair, but honestly: First World Problem.

People will lose money, their property, their houses, possibly their lives during Hurricane Sandy, and the worst thing that will happen to us is that we lose a few scary looking pixels.

Your complaints are legitimate and it would be good if TJ found some sort of compromise, but just put your problems in perspective.

And I also seriously doubt all you guys have NO time to time to get them.

Edited by Darkhole54321

it's great so see that tj has taken those affected by the storm into account, and changed to allow them a chance to get the eggs, but it's not great to see so many selfish people complaining that they won't be able to get the eggs because tj has taken sandy into consideration

Edited by TroupeMaster

I don't like the idea of forcing us to wait.

Not as bad as forced pagination (I really want to view scrolls on a single page), but still bad.

Two Drops would be awesome, but people can double-dip by catching a set early Halloween, incubating them, then catching them late in the hurricane day.

31st - 7d (caught)

31st - 6d (incubated)

1st - 5d

2nd - 4d

3rd - Hatched (less than 4d = Hatch)

The best solution is to have it only on the original day it seems.

Even though Saturday I have extra opportunities to drop (school on wednesday sad.gif ), it seems more people are locked out if the drop is delayed.

Edited by James1011