TJ09

2012-10-30 - Halloween Update

TJ, will you be continuing to monitor DC traffic? Because my experience with power outages from hurricanes & flooding is that it will take WEEKS to restore power to most homes. Priority will be given to critical infrastructure. I suspect the vast majority of those people will still be out of power on Saturday.

Once read an article about the priority in getting power restored after a hurricane I went through. Power grids serving hospital, emergency svc, govt's get top priority naturally, then commercial areas, mfg and other businesses. Power grids that were mainly residential were dead last priority. (which is why my neighborhood was one of the last in the city to have power restored dry.gif )

Thinking Saturday is a bit optimistic.

DST is at 2:00 AM the day after, so have no fears c:

And all the selfish people are still thinking "Oh no, event shouldn't have been moved, it should have been 31st. I want my eggs on that day."

Quite a few of us 'selfish' people worked like dogs to be able to be here for the release. If I'm 'selfish' for being annoyed that I'm required to sacrifice MY chance to get the new eggs so that those affected by sandy can get THEIRS, then yes, I am, indeed, 'selfish'. Sorry that today it's business as usual for me and others. Besides, it's not like the release going forward as planned is going to be saving lives here, or somehow going to lessen the damage to homes. >_<

I appreciate what TJ is trying to do, he is indeed a wonderful person. But for those of us that ARE here, this sucks. Simple as that.

Edited by MedievalMystic

Yes, I was saying that I was being sarcastic in my previous post. And sorry to be so short with you. The people making it an America vs the world issue were (still are, but I'm calming down) frying my nerves. I don't care for anyone, no matter their nationality, turning anything into an "us vs them" drama fest, it's usually how holocausts start. And it's a bit silly to compare delaying a dragon release with Suni/Shiite conflict or WWII, etc.

If I remember correctly, "The sky is blue, the grass is green, may we have our Halloween?"

Definitely agreed on all points. I thought I was keeping pretty well up on what everyone was saying here, but it's clear I missed a few statements here and there.

If we keep up the complaining TJ might just cancel it. I, for one, honestly don't care when the 2012 Halloween dragon is released- as long it IS released.

comment removed, please keep in mind the board rules about respecting others- Edited by rubyshoes

Thank you TJ for all you do for us it is much appreciated biggrin.gif

I always have trouble catching the holiday eggs and sometimes 24 hours is never enough time as I can sit there for hours and get nothing I would love for the eggs to drop longer but if you met everyone's demands you would have nothing else better to do

"but keep in mind the extension please" laugh.gif

Edited by Anniepimm

First off, my heart sincerely goes out to those affected by this horrific hurricane. <3 I'm not a religious person, but I will be praying for them.

Is there a definite reason why the 2 drops suggested would be a bad idea? Apologies if I missed why the idea was shot down - I've just rolled in from work and my head is fuzzy.

Oh, and while it's a minor thing, should there maybe be an announcement (or a link to this thread) on the DC main page? Just for the benefit of users who don't frequent the forums and who may be puzzled when there are no new eggs tomorrow. ^^;

Once read an article about the priority in getting power restored after a hurricane I went through. Power grids serving hospital, emergency svc, govt's get top priority naturally, then commercial areas, mfg and other businesses. Power grids that were mainly residential were dead last priority. (which is why my neighborhood was one of the last in the city to have power restored dry.gif )

Thinking Saturday is a bit optimistic.

Mhmm, from my (rather limited, tbh) experience with hurricanes, the emergency batteries in hospitals and such were turned on first (We had to go to a hospital because my grandmother has high blood pressure and the stress of the flood had made her nearly catatonic), she got her power back quite late in the afternoon, although again, it didn't take more than a few hours after the power shortage for us. But that might be because my country's quite small and so it's easier to reach power grids.

-removed comment.

Wow.

Just...wow.

That's really rude.

Edited by rubyshoes

I think this is a nice gesture to the folks who are without power. Probably not everyone will have their power back on, but my guess is that enough will to have it help. And we have all the gifting threads.

One thing I don't understand why people are not happy about:

I CAUGHT 7 MORE OLD HALLOWEEN EGGS, THAT WILL BE HATCHED BEFORE THE NEW DROP!! MOAR MOAR MOAR DRAGONS!!!

Come on, people, this is a gift!

I'm not really sure why it's unfair to move the event to the weekend. Sure, there are some people who work on weekends, but there are even more who work on weekdays, and we were planning on just dealing with it (and still catching eggs.)

But if someone is really and truly unable to log on over the weekend, let's just change the "Hurricane Sandy gifting" thread to include people who won't be able to log in for work reasons as well as people whose power is still out. I think that's fair.

This. This. This. Everything you just said.

I'm hoping to be able to catch for folks whose schedules won't permit them to access the cave, too, but I know a lot of people for whom this makes things much easier, and they're not even affected by Sandy.

Y'know, two years ago, my ISP's server went down on Halloween, during the marrow drop due to a power outage, and I've had to make due with some beautifully-lineaged 2nd-gen PB and other sorts of marrows in the two years since. I'll probably never see a CB marrow on my scroll, unless for some reason I get picked by lottery during the Christmas thing if it's held again (small chance, and I'm holding my breath for a tinsel, lol). All I lost two years ago was a chance at a CB set of marrows.

As others have stated, people are losing their lives, homes, employment, etc. and how they will rebuild they can't even begin to fathom, let alone worry about playing an internet game. Some of those folks might even be our very own DC friends, so how's about saying a prayer for them, and hope that they can join us. If not, let's make this occasion a little more solemn and remember there are more important things in life than a few pixels on a screen.

TJ, you are truly the VP of gentlemanliness. Thank and bless you for your very kind gesture. It's things like that that keep me coming back to play your awesome game.

-comment removed, please keep the board rules in mind before posting- Edited by rubyshoes

Wow I didn't even realize that over 8 million homes are without power(Watching the news right now as I type this).

Suddenly the delay happening makes even more sense than it did (Like I mean I knew it was a lot but didn't think it was /that/ many, wow.).

As long as everyone experiences it at the same time, the event is fair. The delay may not be ideal to those who planned around a Wednesday drop, but it is still "fair"--everyone gets the same 24 hours to access eggs.

This is exactly what I said in an earlier post.

I understand that some people have commitments on Saturday, or they specially planned to be free on Wednesday. But guess what? That happens *every year* during holiday releases, there are people who can't access the internet that certain day, and people who schedule to have time. This Halloween is no different, guys. And that doesn't change just because the date changes. There will be users unable to get online, and there will be users who can get online whenever they want. Just like usual. As long as its 24 hours, for everyone, it's fair. Everyone gets the same amount of time to catch eggs. DC cannot account for every single person's schedule.

comment removed, please read the board rules before posting- Edited by rubyshoes

Hey. I have friends out there who have lost everything. The most pressing thing for them, I am sure, is actually getting their lives back on track and not, "oh no, I lost everything...but hey, least there's Dragon Cave". They could get eggs off the forum set up to actually gift new eggs to Hurricane victims. Besides, those who lost power due to Sandy might not even get it back by Saturday.

I afree that the top priority to them is to get back on track. It is not "Oh no, I lost everything... but hey, least there's Dragon Cave" that I am referring to. By delaying the event, the people who went through the disaster can choose to get something positive to think about for at least a moment.

You wouldn't like to stay sad for a long period of time either, right? With delayed event, some DC players get something else to think than the disaster they went through. And what is better than Halloween to bring a small or even a tiny smile on face? It actually can give people some encouragement to go on and deal with this disaster a little better.

Or would you prefer to stay sad and constantly think about what you lost without reminder that there are some positive things too in the world?

I don't see how that changes the fact that there are millions more people without power right now than there would be otherwise. Or the fact that I saw a noticable drop in DC traffic as a result.

Perhaps there are less people logging onto DC not because their power is out, but because they have *more important* things to do, like monitoring the weather and staying safe? I'm sure there are lots of people who have power but are/were paying more attention to the various news stations than a dragon pixel game.

One thing I don't understand why people are not happy about:

I CAUGHT 7 MORE OLD HALLOWEEN EGGS, THAT WILL BE HATCHED BEFORE THE NEW DROP!! MOAR MOAR MOAR DRAGONS!!!

Come on, people, this is a gift!

Okay. I'm honestly quite sick and tired of people who are complaining about people who may have legitimate grievances with their schedules and are stating it as such.

NOT EVERYONE IS RICH ENOUGH, NOR DO THEY HAVE NICE ENOUGH JOBS TO JUST TAKE A DAY OFF AT A MOMENT'S NOTICE.

Sheesh.

But then again, personally for me it doesn't matter of TJ puts this back by a day, a week, a month, whatever. But I'm just tired of people who don't get that there are people who work all day because they HAVE to and that they might not legitimately have time.

Both sides have plenty of valid points.
Mhmm, tbh if you're trying to do the "it's just pixels get over it" guess what? It works both ways. Edited by ylangylang

This is going to be hard for me because i have to go with my dad and he does not let me on around midnight and i stay with him for the weekend. And Saturday i can not do either because my friend comes over and i can not play the computer cause i have to hang out with company. But if it is for the people getting hit by Sandy, i do not mind missing the drop, (but if anyone can help me get eggs or give me two i will surely appreciate it.(all i need is two). I missed it last year and the year before that too so i am use to missing drops.) Anyways everyone should not be worried about the drops they should be worried about the people in reality and that are getting hit and are missing pets or people in their family. Cause if i was in the storm i will surely not be worried about this.

(This is my opinion)

Easier said than done, especially for those working double shifts. dry.gif

I'm working a double shift on Friday and Sat, but I have managed in the past and will do so again. It can be done. My scroll is proof of that considering I'm usually working whenever anything happens. Oh the joys of security in retail.

I have an idea but i don't think it will work:

Release the eggs as usual but leave them in the cave for a week or two but people only have 24 hours after they first log in to grab as many eggs as they can before they are unable to grab any more eggs. Everyone wins and nobody can hatch their eggs and go back to the cave to grab more. You might have to make people unable to trade these eggs so the last few people to get these eggs might take advantage.

I hope this works but I doubt it

Thanks TJ. smile.gif While I don't live in the states (hadn't even known about the hurricane until two days ago when I was reading through some DC forum threads mentioning about power outs I think), I don't mind at all that the release will be delayed.

I don't quite understand why apparently so many people are being upset about the delay (from the contents of the pages that I read in the thread anyway), but I guess everyone's entitled to their own opinion about it. *shrug* I'm just glad that the event's still carried out, delay or not, and not simply canceled.

Wow.

Just...wow.

That's really rude.

rude comments are everywhere in the thread. i'm surprised that you were surprised.