TJ09

2012-10-30 - Halloween Update

Actually, the fact that it's not a hurricane makes it able to sustain itself longer on the land. It's a post tropical storm, which makes it stronger on land because it doesn't need the water to get its force from.

Ok, sorry. My bad. I did know this, however how widely is it still celebrated in Ireland? I was saying "predominantly American" to refer to the number of people/countries who actively celebrate it.

Actually, a goodly proportion of people celebrate it, just not the same way we Americans do. Also we probably celebrate it the most loudly, and it's certainly the most consumer-driven here.

I will say this: Moving the drop back to Halloween NOW won't work. There's too many people who've picked up eggs/traded hatchlings for things that won't hatch by Halloween.

Uhm... You realise that the people affected ARE in the same area.. right?

I don't see how that changes the fact that there are millions more people without power right now than there would be otherwise. Or the fact that I saw a noticable drop in DC traffic as a result.

So you ARE basing your decision on location. You didn't stop last halloweens drop because of the power-outs.. but because the "Great U. S. of A" gets affected by a storm... everyone else in the world has to stop and wait?

Nope. See above. There are always power outages, yes, but again: millions more people without power than there were during last year's drop. Unless there was some disaster last year that affected thousands of DC users without a single person bringing it to my attention--that delaying an event for a few days would have helped.

I'm sorry.. We send aid to MOST (not all, most) big disasters... but our lives don't stop because someone else is having a bad day, week, or year. Life goes on, people continue about their normal business.

Lives don't stop, nor is DC; the event will run. In fact, I'm doing the same thing other large companies did. CBS cancelled last night's episode of How I Met Your Mother. Perhaps I planned my work schedule around watching the show; they delayed it for a week anyways.

To give one 'disaster' area more issues than another is poor planning, and certainly poor management.

Is there some area more affected by some disaster than Sandy is? No one has mentioned such a thing (except perhaps the Japan Tsunami that I've seen mentioned here, which, while tragic, did not affect any limited DC events).

(Just my opinion)

I would think most members would be Happy, TJ is not completely canceling the Halloween release.

you know what, the ONLY fair deal to EVERYONE is actaully cancelled 2012 drop. i mean seriously for all those who speak of 'fair to everyone'.

and i have no issue with cancelling 2012 drop. i know i'm weird in certain way.

Ok, sorry. My bad. I did know this, however how widely is it still celebrated in Ireland? I was saying "predominantly American" to refer to the number of people/countries who actively celebrate it.

It originated in Great Britain in general, and certainly in all the areas I've lived it is celebrated very actively.

I think that this update happens to be quite thoughtful and means quite a lot to everyone. When the release happens like to catch two for myself and if I manage to get three gift that one to anyone that missed out due to Hurricane Sandy. Though like mentioned said person needs verification that the eggy goes out to them.

(Just my opinion)

I would think most members would be Happy, TJ is not completely canceling the Halloween release.

QFT:

With the rant we are seeing the possibility of him axing it altogether might seem more realistic. I hope we still get the release. I'd rather delay than cancellation.

Yeah. Because that would totally solve the issue and make everyone feel like they're being treated fairly.

/sarcasm

I'd be totally for it. It'd be fair for everyone then. We got a chance to experience the wonderful Halloween events, who needs a drop?

One thing that happened for one release was we had a double row of eggs. It was great, and easy peasy to catch them. I remember a lot of people complementing it. So perhaps that is an option again?

But, I will be helping catch. Every prior year I had 4 egg slots. But now we have badges and I have 7. So, imo I am not really down any dragons if I gift three. After all, every dragon on my scroll and those 3 slots were a gift from someone else. So, passing along that generosity is something I am proud to do.

QFT:

With the rant we are seeing the possibility of him axing it altogether might seem more realistic. I hope we still get the release. I'd rather delay than cancellation.

Don't worry, I'm definitely not going to cancel anything. I am, however, monitoring the numbers of people affected by power outages in several states, as well as the impact it's having on DC traffic.

I definitely sympathize with both sides, and while I am disappointed it won't be tonight, I will try to make sure I set aside some time on Saturday...even if I have to get up at 3am to grab my eggs. If I am able to, I will even put on my Gifting Hat once again and look for those that need the new Halloweenies.

It is definitely hard to please everyone and with such a diverse online community, but I thank TJ for trying.

We were lucky. Our power flickered and the rain was coming down sideways, while the wind was knocking down trees and power lines in the town just 8km down the road. I wish everyone that was severely affected all the best, and I hope for a speedy recovery for all of you regarding injuries, damaged houses, damaged cars, and damaged places of business

It wouldn't be fair to the spriters, would it?

I'm fine with it being on the third, but others aren't, which is why I'm fighting for 2 release days. I also like having Halloween as one of the dates on my dragons. But I would much rather have a delayed release than none at all.

you know what, the ONLY fair deal to EVERYONE is actaully cancelled 2012 drop. i mean seriously for all those who speak of 'fair to everyone'.

and i have no issue with cancelling 2012 drop. i know i'm weird in certain way.

As long as everyone experiences it at the same time, the event is fair. The delay may not be ideal to those who planned around a Wednesday drop, but it is still "fair"--everyone gets the same 24 hours to access eggs.

The thing is though, if I believed that people who are being helped by this delay will have a chance to get the eggs again on Nov. 3rd, I wouldn't be worried as much. I'm just very skeptical that they would. It doesn't take 4 days to get your life back on track, to get new possessions (or fix your possessions), work things out with the landlord or the plumber, etc, it takes weeks...not to mention that I'm skeptical (judging from the posts here, and other articles( that people will be able to get their electricity again on Nov. 3rd. That's actually my main issue here. If we DO have a guarantee that those people will be able to get back again, then I'll be happy-I'm just worried that they won't be, and then we would end up not being able to satisfy anyone.

Edited by ylangylang

I'm kinda glad we're having the drop on a Saturday now, because otherwise I would be in school for most of the day, and now I have more time!

I can also stay up until midnight on Friday too!

Thank you, TJ. I've said it before and I'll say it again...the fact that you actually care about your players (from what I've seen, at least hehe) makes this the best game I play. The rest couldn't care less about it's players. Anyways, I appreciate your efforts regardless of whether I agree with them or not - you can't please everyone and to be honest I wouldn't expect you too wink.gif

If the number is really that large and such then I think it's pretty understandable yeah. I'm still really glad that this was done.

It means I can go ahead and join that livestream and have my Halloween marathon and go out with my sister tomorrow so it works out on my end.

A suggestion to the people complaining that they won't be able to get the eggs; Why don't people make a giveaway thread for the people who can't make it on November 3rd due to the reasons people have given and stuff?

I'm sure there are going to be lots of people still gifting and trading. o~o;;

I don't see how that changes the fact that there are millions more people without power right now than there would be otherwise. Or the fact that I saw a noticable drop in DC traffic as a result.

Nope. See above. There are always power outages, yes, but again: millions more people without power than there were during last year's drop. Unless there was some disaster last year that affected thousands of DC users without a single person bringing it to my attention--that delaying an event for a few days would have helped.

TJ, will you be continuing to monitor DC traffic? Because my experience with power outages from hurricanes & flooding is that it will take WEEKS to restore power to most homes. Priority will be given to critical infrastructure. I suspect the vast majority of those people will still be out of power on Saturday.

I don't get what the big deal is with two releases. It seems the logical choice for fairness all around, especially if those that grabbed the eggs the first day were unable to grab more the second.

The thing is though, if I believed that people who are being helped by this delay will have a chance to get the eggs again on Nov. 3rd, I wouldn't be worried as much. I'm just very skeptical that they would. It doesn't take 4 days to get your life back on track, to get new possessions (or fix your possessions), work things out with the landlord or the plumber, etc, it takes weeks...not to mention that I'm skeptical (judging from the posts here, and other articles( that people will be able to get their electricity again on Nov. 3rd. That's actually my main issue here.

From TJ's most recent post, he is still monitoring the traffic. I'm sure if it is still way low by Friday night or whenever he will push it back again. Seems fair to me.

Don't worry, I'm definitely not going to cancel anything. I am, however, monitoring the numbers of people affected by power outages in several states, as well as the impact it's having on DC traffic.

Thanks TJ.

I don't mind the delay. Whatever day it happens it's still a holiday dragon. Why should I quibble about it being Wednesday or Saturday?

One question though, since the first posts says "other events" will happen as planned, does that mean zombie revivals will be acting as they should? I ask because I have stuff that may not be around to revive once Saturday rolls around. (It has probably been mentioned already, but I don't have the time right this moment to read through 15 pages. xd.png)