angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Breeding between scrolls

I love this suggestion! I thought of it myself several times but never suggested...I guess it would be a lot of fun xd.png

I do have a concern though. If people suddenly start breeding then will they start doing the main cave and AP less or abandon eggs more in hopes of obtaining the desired egg?

It's not bad as I said before, but it does sound like it could have more little problems that affect in a big way. But we also wouldn't have the trading threads excepts for Dinos, chickens, and Cheese + Papers.

I'm not sure about this now. It sounds nice and all, but it does seem to have some concerns stuck to it. I thick I'll stick to just breeding within my scroll.

I do have a concern though. If people suddenly start breeding then will they start doing the main cave and AP less or abandon eggs more in hopes of obtaining the desired egg?

It's not bad as I said before, but it does sound like it could have more little problems that affect in a big way. But we also wouldn't have the trading threads excepts for Dinos, chickens, and Cheese + Papers.

I'm not sure about this now. It sounds nice and all, but it does seem to have some concerns stuck to it. I thick I'll stick to just breeding within my scroll.

A lot of people value CB dragons very highly compared to lineage ones, so if this was implemented, I can't see it replacing cave hunting. wink.gif I'm sure the trading threads would still be nice and active.

However, that said, I still don't really want to see this, for reasons I've stated earlier in the thread. Sorry!

But most are hard to find, i have yet to glimpse a CB gold or silver. If this somehow raised the chances of rares being resulted then it might changed depending on lineage.

I myself really am fine, a Neglected dragon is all I really want.

I've decided that I'd be okay with it as long as the ratios are implemented the way Socky had suggested earlier in the thread, so as to not have any impact on the rest of the cave or favour those with many rares. Also, I'd prefer that it be opt IN, not opt out, with very clear rules set out to avoid harassment. smile.gif

Love IT!!

I just would love to do this!

Amazing Suggestion! biggrin.gif

I'd be in favor of this if - and that's a big if, mind you - we get a marketplace for it (and probably trades) implemented. This way, you could put up your dragons for doing stud service in exchange for a breeding of another dragon. Like I'd put up one of my heartseekers for a breeding in exchange for getting a breeding out of another heartseeker (for a gorgeous even-gen lineage with all male CB ancestors being heartseekers, for example). Of course, this should be possible to set up in several ways:

- offering a female to breed for someone else

- offering a male to breed for someone else

I feel like this would just.. be too complicated, and the breeding between friend's scrolls would be a huge disappointment if you really /wanted/ that certain dragon, but the person was only giving ridiculous offers on it, things that I couldn't possibly get except through gifting, and I'd never trade a gift away. If you want to breed between players, I recommend you go to Exhibited.

I feel like this would just.. be too complicated, and the breeding between friend's scrolls would be a huge disappointment if you really /wanted/ that certain dragon, but the person was only giving ridiculous offers on it, things that I couldn't possibly get except through gifting, and I'd never trade a gift away. If you want to breed between players, I recommend you go to Exhibited.

But that's already how trading works. Sometimes people ask ridiculous prices; does that mean we should just throw our hands up and condemn the whole trading system? No. Just because a few people might charge a head and a limb doesn't mean that everyone will, so it seems a poor reason to frown on it.

As for being overly complicated... well, if you look at the original post, most of the mechanics have been figured out and it shouldn't be alll that complex, honestly.

And as for going to Exhibited... no, I like DC, so this is where I'll stay, thank you. Just because I want to see a new feature added doesn't mean I care more about the feature than the overall game. wink.gif

I love this idea. When I first started, I was very confused because this feature was not implemented. Then, I caught on and was very disappointed. This probably sounds ridiculous, but it would be like...erasing my old disappointments? I'm not sure with the words choice, now, but I hope you understand. xd.png

There are people nice enough to gift others 2nd gen rares, so there are people who are bound to be nice enough to put their rare dragons up for breeding requests. Honestly, the people of DC are so nice that I don't think that issue of 'not enough rares up for breeding' would be an issue.

If I may, I have a suggestion that might make this a bit easier...

What if there was a space where people could put requirements or requests for breeding partners? Like, if someone put up a 1st gen gold and they only wanted to breed it with 2nd gen blacks to continue a lineage or something of the like, then it would be tons easier. The chances of getting someone to offer exactly what one wants by chance are very slim, but if it says, outright, what you want, there would be a higher chance of someone getting the breeding partner they want for particular dragon.

I'm sorry if someone had already mentioned the above, I didn't read all the previous posts on the other pages.

Edited by Mousia

It seems to me that the arguments against this suggestion are mainly because of the possible drama it will cause. Like begging and breeding requests. People are afraid they will be even more inconvenienced than they already are because they have rare dragons and don't want to have to deny requests and appear selfish.

I agree with angelicdragonpuppy that trading as it stands now, already has these issues. How is it different from wanting that extremely rare egg that someone else bred, to wanting to breed your dragon with someone else's to get the same egg?

Let me make a clearer example. How is it different from wanting a 2G Holly bred by someone else, to wanting a 2G Holly bred from your CB dragon with someone else's CB Holly? The person with the CB Holly will still ask for crazy prices whatever the situation.

Also, how does this situation make breeding/looking for mates "easy"? SOme argue that it will take the fun out of creating lineages. Let me provide the other side of the argument. It will create for EVEN MORE possibilities of breeding.

Edited by Sylvan_Moon

Also, how does this situation make breeding/looking for mates "easy"? SOme argue that it will take the fun out of creating lineages. Let me provide the other side of the argument. It will create for EVEN MORE possibilities of breeding.

Think of the awesome PB tinsels a bunch of prize winners could get together and produce, just for example. happy.gif

But that's already how trading works. Sometimes people ask ridiculous prices; does that mean we should just throw our hands up and condemn the whole trading system? No. Just because a few people might charge a head and a limb doesn't mean that everyone will, so it seems a poor reason to frown on it.

As for being overly complicated... well, if you look at the original post, most of the mechanics have been figured out and it shouldn't be alll that complex, honestly.

And as for going to Exhibited... no, I like DC, so this is where I'll stay, thank you. Just because I want to see a new feature added doesn't mean I care more about the feature than the overall game. wink.gif

But it offers that idea and more -- I find the system we already have perfect. If this had to be used, I want an opt-out function.

Yes, but /everyone/ would use this system unfairly. I'v seen it happen dozens of times on other sites similar to this one, and that's what caused them to fall. I just don't care to see this implemented. It's different because you could charge /whatever you wanted/ for that breeding, and no one would be able to stop, because it's /your/ dragon, but with someone else? What if the dragons refuse? Who gets what egg? ect.

It just seems like a poor idea, and it feels like dc would turn into a petsite. I just don't see the point, really. It'd take the fun away from building that /special/ lineage.

But it offers that idea and more -- I find the system we already have perfect. If this had to be used, I want an opt-out function.

Yes, but /everyone/ would use this system unfairly. I'v seen it happen dozens of times on other sites similar to this one, and that's what caused them to fall. I just don't care to see this implemented. It's different because you could charge /whatever you wanted/ for that breeding, and no one would be able to stop, because it's /your/ dragon, but with someone else? What if the dragons refuse? Who gets what egg? ect.

It just seems like a poor idea, and it feels like dc would turn into a petsite. I just don't see the point, really. It'd take the fun away from building that /special/ lineage.

You opt-out by not using it. No one's forcing you to breed with other's dragons, and the default setting for all dragons would be breeding requests off. wink.gif

Saying everyone would use the system unfairly is... rather unfair! As for your question about the egg, the current idea is either 50/50 who it goes to, or halving the chance of a successful breeding, but producing an egg for both people involved if it succeeds. There'd also be an 'opt out' setting wherein someone could choose they don't want an egg, even if one is produced, so...

Both people opt in: either 50/50 who the egg goes to or the whole halved-but-two eggs thing

One person opts in, other opts out: Person who opts in gets the egg

One person opts in, other opts out, but opt in person is locked: egg goes to AP

Both people opt out: egg goes to AP

In the case of refusals--nothing happens, simple as always. smile.gif

Of course, it seems your main concern is about what happens if people PAY for a breeding opportunity and THEN the pair refuses--but I'd say in that case it works just like an IOU. You can't officially offer something for a breeding, you'd have to set up a seperate one-way transfer, so it's your own risk.

While on the surface this doesn't sound too bad, I don't think this is something I would want. Being able to turn on/off the ability would help, but I can just see complaints if I turned the option on for some players and off for others. Also, many of my dragons already have set mates; I don't want those dragons bred with other mates.

While on the surface this doesn't sound too bad, I don't think this is something I would want. Being able to turn on/off the ability would help, but I can just see complaints if I turned the option on for some players and off for others. Also, many of my dragons already have set mates; I don't want those dragons bred with other mates.

If you have dragons with set mates, simply don't turn the option on for them. The default is set to off. smile.gif

As for complaints about breeding--I don't think it would be much different from the complaints of people going "why did you choose someone else's trade offer over mine" or "why did you gift that person an egg and not me." Still, the only way people can contact you to bother you about it, like with the other things, is through the forums--and a report to a mod will end THAT quick as you can PM. smile.gif

This idea had soooo many bad sides, but you've made it all good!

I REALLY hope TJ looks at this thread! :S

This idea popped into my head a little while ago, and someone on the IRC pointed me to this thread. I have to say that this is a lovely idea, and would be an excellent way to establish more in-cave links between players.

I for one support it 100%. Don't let this idea die off!

Edited by Aedir

We need a poll, perhaps ? Because I and many others in this thread hate the idea.

angelicdragonpuppy - can you do that ?

We need a poll, perhaps ? Because I and many others in this thread hate the idea.

angelicdragonpuppy - can you do that ?

So glad we share the same thoughts! It just makes my skin crawl thinking about it. There's something unnatural about having someone being able ot send you a request of a trade instead of just letting the person you sent the request to gift you. And what if we got a lot of requests? Server strain -- yes. I just don't like this idea because it would make it too 'I can breed for my friends ONLY'. And the game is set up to subtly force you to get rid of your extra holiday eggs, and such. It doesn't want you to be greedy.

So glad we share the same thoughts! It just makes my skin crawl thinking about it. There's something unnatural about having someone being able ot send you a request of a trade instead of just letting the person you sent the request to gift you. And what if we got a lot of requests? Server strain -- yes. I just don't like this idea because it would make it too 'I can breed for my friends ONLY'. And the game is set up to subtly force you to get rid of your extra holiday eggs, and such. It doesn't want you to be greedy.

1. Requests are automatically set to 'off' for every dragon for every person, so I highly doubt the cave would drop dead from server strain... or that you'd get spammed when you didn't want to breed a dragon. If you don't want random requests, only open them up when you've found someone whose dragons you know you want to have your dragon breed with, and then shut it off again for that dragon promptly afterwards. Really it can be as selective as using teleport, if you want it to be. wink.gif

2. Can't we... already only breed for friends, ahaha? The only difference is that right now people can be like "I'll only breed my dragons for my friends" as opposed to "I'll only breed my dragons with my friends." The point is, people can already be as greedy* as they like, so saying no to this idea because it would let people be greedy is silly. They can already be so!

3. I can't add a poll myself, but I wouldn't be /entirely/ opposed to asking a mod to put one in... however... I kind of prefer it when there isn't a poll. Polls let people pop in and drop off votes without ever having read the first post fully, as evidenced by the fact that I'm still having to explain things laid out at the start to people who are commenting. I'd rather not give people who can't bother to read the chance to make a locked-in vote. And besides, voting isn't all that important--what matters is if TJ likes it or not, and I imagine he'd read through people's concerns instead of blindly following poll numbers on that front.

*Greedy here is being used loosely. I think it's sad if people only ever breed for their friends, but everyone can play how they want. If I want to stash Halloweens then I can't exactly accuse others of being greedy for having very limited breeding requests, haha!

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I'm not going to comment on the idea being a good idea or a bad idea.

I am going to re-point to the prior comments that this completely changes the game. The game revolves around single scroll personal collections. This is a shift to a community collection. Or community collection building, even if they remain on single scrolls and collections.

You can argue that it won't, but it will. So we just have to take this into consideration, and it will change the whys and hows of people play. And there are going to be a lot of adjustments. Even to those who opt out because of what others are doing.

Edited by natayah

I love this idea:

LOVE LOVE LOVE! biggrin.gif

First of all, it would be easier for us, the newbies, to understand how does this whole system roll.

Secondly, there are the reasons angelicdragonpuppy mentioned.

If I may say, we should ask the admins to at least think of this idea, because it really makes sense!

This is just my opinion, but I love this idea! ^^

I love this idea:

LOVE LOVE LOVE! biggrin.gif

First of all, it would be easier for us, the newbies, to understand how does this whole system roll.

Secondly, there are the reasons angelicdragonpuppy mentioned.

If I may say, we should ask the admins to at least think of this idea, because it really makes sense!

This is just my opinion, but I love this idea! ^^

What would it help you to understand ? If anything it would be MORE complicated; if you don't know how to breed for yourself, how are you going to manage to breed your dragons with others.

And helping you - if there is a dragon you specially want - there are any number of gifting threads where people will breed them for you. There;s no need to breed with another scroll to get what you want.

If you want to understand things here - read the FAQs in help, and the help pages on your scroll. If that doesn't work, may I suggest a mentor, who will answer your every question personally ?

You can ask for one here.