The Mentoring Project

The Mentoring Project

yJWzXdU.jpg

IMPORTANT

WE ARE STILL ACCEPTING NEW STUDENTS WHO NEED HELP!

If you want or need a Mentor, read the blue.

If you want to become a Mentor, read the green.

Applications for mentors are now closed!

Red for everyone to read.

-------end of announcement-----------

Introducing The Mentoring Project

This is the place for new members to come for a mentor to help them raise their dragons, to learn their way around the forums, or just to ask those questions we all have at first.

What is a mentor? The dictionary defines it as "an experienced adviser and supporter: somebody, usually older and more experienced, who advises and guides a younger, less experienced person".

I remember how intimidated I was at first, so I used to send a pm about "getting started" to new members who seemed lost on the forums. Then leodoug came up with this great idea for helping new members and started the "Adoption Thread". Several of us joined, but leodoug had other interests, and the thread had to be revamped. This is the result. We still owe thanks to leodoug for originating the idea.

IF YOU ARE NEW, AND WANT TO HAVE A MENTOR, READ THIS:

New members can ask for help with their dragons or just for some guidance on the forums.

But how?

Below are two options, labelled A and B. You may use either of them.

A) Simply make a post here in this thread and write that you want a mentor. Someone will contact you via pm. If you want a mentor only for the Forum and not for Forum AND Dragon raising, please add that to your post. You can add requests and information about yourself, too (for example, if you’d prefer it if your mentor was able to speak language xy, has a special time-zone or something else). We can’t promise that all requests will be fulfilled, but we’ll try.

B ) Choose one of the underlined members from the mentor list. If you click on the name, you can pm that member directly and ask them if they want to become your mentor.

Since some new members might be unaware, at the top right of this page you will see a small envelope icon. If there is a number by the envelope it means you have one or more new messages in your PM box. To read your messages, just click the envelope. Additionally, at the bottom left of each post, you will see a blue envelope that says "message" beside it. To send a pm to the poster of that message, just click on the envelope.

PLEASE NOTE:

This is not a "dragon sitting" or "dragon raising" service. Students are required to start tending their own scrolls with the information that they receive from their mentors as soon as they have the necessary information.

Some mentors have withdrawn their support from students that have not conformed to this requirement. If you have lost your mentor, and want to try again you can pm The Mentoring Project requesting more assistance. It will be up the monitors whether you will receive further assistance.

Even after a student is considered to have "graduated", they are still invited to ask their mentor questions that come up. Your mentor is always your mentor, and will be there to help you.

*Remember that your mentor has other students, a job, a home, and other responsibilities. Be patient, and grateful for their time and assistance.

If you feel that your mentor is unresponsive, wrong for you, or may have gone off line, please pm The Mentoring Project, or monitors and let us know. We will look into it, and if necessary, locate another mentor for you.

***Important Notice***

We cannot stress this enough: If you have a problem with your mentor, please PM The Mentoring Project or thread monitor(s) directly so that we can help you. It is our goal that no student or mentor should have need of us, but there are steps we can take in the unfortunate event that any problems occur. Please do not make a public post or thread as this reflects poorly on our students, mentors, and the Project itself.

IF YOU ARE A MENTOR, OR WANT TO BE ONE, READ THIS:

We will have two types of mentors: those who will choose students here on the thread and can be pmed by students seeking mentors, or by monitors looking for mentors for students waiting for mentors that have not been picked, and those who come in when they have time and pick students at their own pace. We suggest that mentors restrict themselves to 5 students at a time.

If you do not indicate a willingness to be pmed, you will be put on the second list (set your own pace).

If a mentor finds a student elsewhere (on the forums, for example) please post here, so we can track how many students you have.

Though we think two weeks is long enough for most new players to learn the basics of dragon raising, you should always there for future questions. Students who need more time should be followed as long as necessary.

If your student does not answer your initial PM after they have posted here asking for a mentor, please keep trying. You can ping them on the forum by posting with an @ followed by their name so that a notification will be sent. Sometimes new players can get lost on the forum and not know how to get back to a particular thread.

Mentors: If you are having trouble with your student, such as being used as an unwilling scroll-sitter or being repeatedly begged for eggs, you may (and should) PM this account or a monitor to report this. We (the monitors) will then deal with the problem.

ALSO:

Project monitors may send out a message to all mentors as an "activity check." Failure to respond to that message within a reasonable time will result in removal from the list of mentors.

Mentors are allowed to ask for a break at any time, and will be put on an "inactive" list, but if we don't hear from you in a year, the above will apply. This rule will also be applied to thread monitors.

ALSO NOTE:

Persons who have been banned by other Dragon Cave organizations for breaking important forum rules will be removed as mentors.

The mentors' list may be limited and applications opened/closed as the need arises.

APPLICATION PROCESS TO BECOME A MENTOR

Since the DC moderators are looking for a particular standard of behavior from our mentors, we have a few requirements that prospective mentors must meet. Mentors cannot be under the thirteen-year-old age limit of Dragon Cave. We also require that mentors have three months experience raising dragons, three months in the forums, and be at Level 3. Monitors will be checking forum posts made by those applying to be mentors, to be sure they understand and are following forum rules and know the basics of dragon rearing. We also submit all applicants names to the DC forum mods to be sure there are no issues that we are not aware of.

The information we need:

1. Your age (you can just say "over _" if you don't want to reveal your exact age):

2. Your forum level:

3. The date you caught your first dragon:

4. Language skills other than English (that you know well enough to mentor someone in):

5. Time zone:

6. Are you willing to be pmed by prospective students or the Project:

PM this information to The Mentoring Project

You will then be sent a questionnaire to fill out for the purpose of assessing your knowledge further.

Once your application has been approved, you are invited to check the thread and pm someone seeking a mentor.

If your application has been denied, and you feel you were unfairly denied, pm The Mentoring Project asking for a review. Three monitors will review your application information and pm you the result. Any applicant who hasn't filled our requirements, is invited to reapply when they do.

***Important Notice***

We cannot stress this enough: If you have a problem with your student, please PM The Mentoring Project or thread monitor(s) directly so that we can help you. It is our goal that no student or mentor should have need of us, but there are steps we can take in the unfortunate event that any problems occur. Please do not make a public post or thread as this reflects poorly on our students, mentors, and the Project itself.

THREAD MONITORS:

purplehaze (GMT -5) - PM

INACTIVE THREAD MONITORS

Shalarean -PM

Laura-Lana (GMT+1) - PM

Danne

dsnet06

whoeverxwins

raindear

leodoug  - (Thread founder)

Trekwriter

Morgaine Lythande

icare4u

Edited by The Mentoring Project

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EXAMPLES of Proper Posting for Mentor Updating

"student" has not responded to my PMs

"student" does not want a mentor at this time

PMing "student"

Now Mentoring "student"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mentor Info and List

To PM a mentor, click on their name. If it isn't linked, they are not willing to be PM'd. smile.gif

Since some new members might be unaware, at the top right of this page you will see a small envelope icon. If there is a number by the envelope it means you have one or more new messages in your PM box. To read your messages, just click the envelope. Additionally, at the bottom left of each post, you will see a blue envelope that says "message" beside it. To send a pm to the poster of that message, just click on the envelope.

Please note that some of our mentors are less active than others. If you decided to PM a mentor on this list and do not hear back, don't be discouraged! Just post here in this thread asking for a mentor. There are plenty of people willing to help you!

Info about our Mentors

*Please note: The languages in the parenthesis mean additional languages to English. All our mentors are fluent in English.

*To PM a mentor, click on their name. If it isn't linked, they are not willing to be PM'd but will check the thread periodically for mentor requests. smile.gif

Mentors

Astreya - (German) - Time zone: GMT+1 (Middle European Time) in Germany

fuzzbucket - (Some German and French) - Time zone: GMT or cave time - has homes in both

igloo9201 - Time zone: EST

purpledragonclaw (Japanese) Time Zone: PST

purplehaze Time Zone: EST

water_angel (Spanish) Time Zone: EST

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All mentors who could not be confirmed as active have been removed from the list. If you think you have been removed in error, if you notice any errors in the list, or if you want your status changed, please send a PM to the Project account. Thank you all for your help.

Apparently inactive, pending removal:

Dragonhatchling Time Zone: EST

herk (German) Time zone: CET

Laura-Lana Time Zone: GMT+1

MoonTiger Time Zone: CDT

nooey Time Zone: UK

Saika (Norwegian) Time Zone: GMT+1

This post is reserved for banners or other visual creations for the thread.

Banners:

FOR MENTORS:

user posted image

[URL=http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=57591][IMG=http://www.uzzisoft.com/randomsigscript/dcmentor.jpeg][/URL]

Another banner by captain4ever:

user posted image

[URL=http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=57591][IMG=http://www.uzzisoft.com/randomsigscript/dcmentor2.jpeg][/URL]

This  banner was made by SuperUber:

user posted image

[url=http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=57591&st=0][img=http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs46/f/2009/225/f/8/Dragon_Cave_Banner_by_FlappyRyu.jpg][/url]

By purplehaze:

CDkrVNy.jpg

By purplehaze:
8hOFjPg.jpg

By fuzzbucket

user posted image

[URL=https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=57591][img=https://i.imgur.com/LdWommv.jpg][/url]

For Students:

By purplehaze

3rXiSeY.jpg

For any forum member:

By purplehaze

image.png.143d84d271c5a11356fbd99bcf8ecbed.png

By Pryanka

bf0REtR.png

ncK3l25.png

LWe1xvW.gif

Updated to here.

Mentors, please remember that we can only update the thread every so often, so if you mention that a student has graduated but has not yet been removed from your list, please check to see if an update has been run since your last post before re-posting that it was missed. We'd all like to avoid clutter in the thread.

How to Access Your PMs!

If you don't know how to access your PMs, at the top right of this page you will see "My Controls" and next to that, "_New Messages." If there is a number by "New Messages," clicking on "New Messages" will take you to your PMs. Good luck and welcome to Dragon Cave!

- Danne

Toothless77 never responded to my PM, so that opens up a slot. PMing Luna_Rayne.

Now mentoring Luna_Rayne.

Edited by purpledragonclaw

Thank you purpledragonclaw. smile.gif

Please pm rubyshoes or _Z_ if your ready for a topic clean.

List updated to here.

I have removed all students who were reported prior to 7/1/2013, as they should all have graduated by now. If you are still working with a student from an earlier date, please post back here and let us know.

It appears that we have only a few mentors who are active at this time. I will be doing some sort of activity check soon and may open mentor applications again if that seems warrented.

~purplehaze

The following mentors have not posted in the forums in the past year (as of 9/5/2013) and will be considered inactive unless we are notified otherwise:

*smiles* Time Zone: EST

.Big.Pimpin. Time Zone: CST

7asho0m Time Zone:GMT +4

Amatha

Angelstarstar (Chinese) Time Zone: PST

AppleCakes Time Zone: EST

BeautifulClockwork

Davrinmos Time Zone: EST

ditisleuk Time Zone: GMT +1

dracoon (Chinese)

EternalSpring

Fella (Hebrew) Time Zone: GMT +2

julielee91 (Korean) Time Zone: EST

Lara_5 (German)

Leelith (German) Time Zone: GMT+1

lunardivinus123 Time Zone: EST

moneyman Time Zone: GMT -5

Morgan Time Zone: EST

nightshade123

qwe1100 Time Zone: EST

Saphira BrightScales

Senritsu Tsukaro

superguy16 Time Zone: CST

Tetra Kataki Time Zone: EST or GMT -5

whoeverxwins

If your name is on this list and you still wish to be an active mentor, please send a PM to the Mentoring Project account. I am aware that forum posting activity is not always an accurate indicator of activity and interest.

~purplehaze

Hello,

I would love a mentor. I PMed Raikielia yesterday, but haven't heard anything yet.

Help?

Thanks! wink.gif

Now mentoring Firedda Edited by purplehaze

Hi my name is Jack and would like to request a mentor

Im having troubles with the site and codes / links

Im in +8 time zone ,English speaking mentor ,any mentor is fine

Ty all

PMing Avernar

Now mentoring Avernar.

Edited by Raistlin24

I could use a mentor, I've already grasped how to use dragcave (stealing, treating sickness, getting views etc), but trading and lineage stuff confuse me D:

Edit: I live in GMT+2 timezone, but I'm awake and online most of the day, so timezone does not matter too much (but it's always a plus).

Edited by Maiya

PMing Now mentoring Maiya Edited by purplehaze

I would like to have a mentor, please. To put it bluntly, I am pretty lost here. I understand the basics, though how everything works hasn't clicked in my brain yet. So if there's someone who has a lot of patience for this newbie, it would be greatly appreciated. ^^

I have not heard from any of my students in awhile, so I consider them all graduated.

PMing Phoenix-Wish.

Now mentoring Phoenix-Wish.

Edited by purpledragonclaw

PMing dragonrider221 Now mentoring dragonrider221

Nearzilla and KiaTheFigureSkater have not contacted me in a long time and can be considered graduated.

Edited by purplehaze