angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Breeding between scrolls

It really doesnt matter what anyone says really, you guys want this. If i said "what about tinsel owners, they would be flooded with requests to breed their dragon to other peoples dragons" the response would be "its optional. If you dont want to share the love, turn the option off". IOU concerns dont matter cause people still do it anyhow.

I can see the benifits to this, because those people who /had/ frill and old pink pairings would be able to continue old lines. Sort of. But.. this idea changes every aspect of what this game has been. It then becomes yet another game where you are essentially trading adults long enough for a breeding. Granted your adult never leaves your scroll.. but its really not much different than say.. having a friend loan you some really awesome pokemon.. or a horse on HOWRSE long enough for a breeding. I like this game because whats on my scroll IS my accomplishments, my work. If someone wants a baby from my dragons all they have to do is ask. Even if this were implemented with the option to turn it off.. people would get bogged down with pms begging for breedings... the trades section would be bogged down with "Have cb holly available for breeding want some crazy rare thing". The potential for drama has always been reason enough for people to shoot things down (re-event thread anyone?) This would be a massive game breaker for me.

One thing is the trade threads would definitely have to ban breeding offer posts, just like they ban IOU posts. There could be a special thread or threads where you can offer dragons to be bred.

I really don't see how tinsel owners would be bogged down with breeding request PMs any more than they're bogged with PMs asking for a trade.

Personally, I think I'd prefer being able to fulfill my 2nd gen tinsel breeding IOUs with multi-scroll breeding, since I'd know that the person who is to get the egg is around and ready to take the egg if one is made.

And could someone please explain exactly how this would increase situations that could cause IOUs? I really don't understand how it would.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I rather like this idea. I think it would be wonderful, since I to have seen scrolls with dragons I've wanted to breed from. Good idea. :3

It really doesnt matter what anyone says really, you guys want this.

Of course it matters. Those who are unsure or have noticed an issue with the idea have posted before and have helped develop the idea further. Pointing out flaws and suggestions is an important part of building an idea to its best.

And yes, those who say they don't like the feature are offered the option to not use it. Nothing would change for them. I don't see how that isn't a win-win situation.

But.. this idea changes every aspect of what this game has been.

Every aspect? Surely you exaggerate. The game would still be about catching, raising, breeding, and trading dragons as it's always been. The 'trading' part wasn't even made official until Teleport was implemented, so the game has shown it can grow without everything changing for the worse.

I like this game because whats on my scroll IS my accomplishments, my work.

And it still can be exactly that. Although, people who adopt eggs from the AP or have someone breed for them isn't exactly agreeable with the whole "my accomplishment" thing. I mean, someone else did all the lineage building and breeding, and you* just picked up the egg. So it's already an aspect of the game.

* Non-direct.

Perhaps a thread dedicated solely to this kind of breeding could be made in the Trading forum so they don't clutter up the current threads. No biggie. IDK how this feature would increase IOUs myself, but then again I also don't understand why people think this would create drama.

Edited by Nine

[or one side could choose a setting to say they don't want an egg and then it only produces one if the breeding is successful]

This would also work/work in conjunction to two eggs. I just want a way where this is decided beforehand, rather than users disagreeing afterwards.

This would also work/work in conjunction to two eggs. I just want a way where this is decided beforehand, rather than users disagreeing afterwards.

Agreed, it needs to be decided before the breeding is done. And I added the bit about one opting to not have an egg with two eggs as the norm because the person who receives the request might not want an egg, but they might be fine with the other person getting one.

I see this as kind of like teleport with its own section on the Account Settings page and its own actual page.

Breeding between scrolls:

O Opt In:

X Opt Out:

If you chose opt out you get:

Your Requests

Other's Requests

If you chose opt in you get:

Your Requests

You requested to breed 12345 with Person2's 67890. Cancel

Other's Requests

Person3 requested to breed 98765 with your 12345. Accept / Decline Block User

If you chose Accept you get:

Would you like to receive an egg from the breeding? Yes / No

And a thread for finding mates on other people's scrolls shouldn't be too hard. It'd be like the current Find A Mate, except with breeding adults instead of breeding...eggs.

Frankly, I'm 99% sure I won't be using this unless I opt in for others to get eggs from my dragons. I'm not a lineage project person. For me, adults are either lineaged, inbred or CB. If I continue a lineage it's because a lot of people prefer neatness to messiness in trading. That's why my only metallic is my CB silver, and the only reason I have lineaged dragons is for breeding more trading fodder.

apparently Firefox thinks teleport isn't a word

Edit to add more

Edited by Shadowdrake

It really doesnt matter what anyone says really, you guys want this. If i said "what about tinsel owners, they would be flooded with requests to breed their dragon to other peoples dragons" the response would be "its optional. If you dont want to share the love, turn the option off". IOU concerns dont matter cause people still do it anyhow.

I can see the benifits to this, because those people who /had/ frill and old pink pairings would be able to continue old lines. Sort of. But.. this idea changes every aspect of what this game has been. It then becomes yet another game where you are essentially trading adults long enough for a breeding. Granted your adult never leaves your scroll.. but its really not much different than say.. having a friend loan you some really awesome pokemon.. or a horse on HOWRSE long enough for a breeding. I like this game because whats on my scroll IS my accomplishments, my work. If someone wants a baby from my dragons all they have to do is ask. Even if this were implemented with the option to turn it off.. people would get bogged down with pms begging for breedings... the trades section would be bogged down with "Have cb holly available for breeding want some crazy rare thing". The potential for drama has always been reason enough for people to shoot things down (re-event thread anyone?) This would be a massive game breaker for me.

I know I am in a minority - but I am with Thuban on much of this (and MY firefox can SO spell teleport ! xd.png)

I like the fact that there is no way to make direct contact with another scroll. And (from experience HERE !) I can see a refusal or a not taking part leading to a dash of viewbombing. When I failed to answer the THIRD begging PM from someone here and blocked them, my eggs started to get a scary number of views.... Coincidence ? I think not...

I don't see it as a game breaker, but I do see it as a BIG change and one I doubt if I would ever want to use.

I know I am in a minority - but I am with Thuban on much of this (and MY firefox can SO spell teleport ! )

I like the fact that there is no way to make direct contact with another scroll. And (from experience HERE !) I can see a refusal or a not taking part leading to a dash of viewbombing. When I failed to answer the THIRD begging PM from someone here and blocked them, my eggs started to get a scary number of views.... Coincidence ? I think not...

I don't see it as a game breaker, but I do see it as a BIG change and one I doubt if I would ever want to use.

Thuban raised an excellent point. Im going to have to side with Fuzzbucket and Thuban here.

I think the game is more challenging the way it is now than it would be if this were implemented and I would really just like it to stay this way. Im huge on creating nice lineages and creating pretty things but this just makes it too easy.

Okay, I see both sides of the argument. People could spam users for things like 2nd gen hollies, 2nd gen tinsels and whatnot, but that doesn't mean that most people will. Also, I don't see how it makes the game easier, except for people who have a lineage they can't continue for whatever reason.

Honestly, I like this idea for various reasons. Chances are, people wouldn't be able to find your scroll unless they peeked at what you have through the forum (which is also how some people find people to PM for ious). Let's say... I really want to breed one of my pretty metalics. But I can't continue their line because I'm too new to have a holiday. Now, let's pretend someone else wants another metal from a line like mine. We could talk it out and agree to breed our dragons and see if we can get an egg. With the idea at hand, we could either agree to take turns getting the egg we want, or maybe they would be more intersted in something else off my scroll.

Plus, with the additional option recently provided by shadowdrake, you could block them if someone just wont relent on trying to get an egg from you. Though, I personally would be more likely have all my dragons available for request.

I still think this is a great idea, I have a silver tin x ribbon dancer stairstep that I can't continue the lineage because I don't have a cb ribbon dancer with this idea I can continue the lineage and someone else could start another one if they wanted.

I so want this idea incave now tongue.gif

It has been stated before that you would be able to turn the ability on and off individually with the default being off and ideally you can set the entire scroll at once [you want most to be off or most to be on] and then customize the few exceptions. Like I might set my entire scroll to on and then set my rares [at least my 2nd gen tinsels] to off. That way people who want to participate can, but only to the extent they want to, and those who don't want to participate at all don't have to.

I'm not sure if this has been suggested, but maybe an option to add a small comment when you accept or decline the offer so you can state why you chose that option, or just say thanks, or that maybe you'd be up for it some other time, etc.

EDIT; But I mean, I love this idea and would greatly appreciate seeing it in the cave!

Edited by Anquatic

I know I am in a minority - but I am with Thuban on much of this (and MY firefox can SO spell teleport ! xd.png)

You said it yourself: people will bug you through PMs and retaliate if you don't breed them something with your own dragons. There are nasty players everywhere. Whether this exists or not wouldn't make a difference, so why keep away a fun feature simply because it might result in a negative that already exists? People willing to bug for a breeding with a Holly are those who are already begging for breedings from a Holly.

BECAUSE this would mean they could buy you through your scroll as well. You have to block people twice.

BECAUSE this would mean they could buy you through your scroll as well. You have to block people twice.

Or you could just disable breeding offers on your scroll and not have to deal with it?

My biggest concern with this matter of trading is that it wouldn't be limited to only the ones who want it. I mean, look at teleport. No one is going to want to trade you an egg through the AP anymore, you have to use teleport to keep up. It doesn't matter if you previously opposed it, it's the only way of doing business now. I feel like this way of breeding has the same potential, and I don't want to be forced to give up the way I enjoy Dragcave. I'm not really worried about getting pestered with all sorts of breeding propositions, I'm worried about not being able to find the hatchlings I want so I can breed my own things. I don't want this, because it would change the way everyone plays the game, regardless of whether you actually decide to use the feature or not. I like the trading system the way it is now, I don't feel we need this.

I don't want this, because it would change the way everyone plays the game, regardless of whether you actually decide to use the feature or not.

This, too. (Yes I know I could disable it - but it still changes things.)

I am not opposed to teleport though, as I know too many people with slow connections who could never catch an egg the old way even if it was bred just for them and they were given the only link to it.... It would hit the AP in passing and boom sad.gif

There are solutions for pretty much any of the problems you mentioned that want you to allow breeding between scrolls.

Breeding checkers with limited holiday dragons: This sure involves some trading, but it's entirely possible. All you have to do is put something along the lines of "I need XXX type of lineage" in your signature and wait for a while. This way, I even found a mate for my 2nd gen and 3rd gen Val '09 who is a red x Val checker. I also got perfect mates for the 3rd gen Marrows I have yet to breed this year (Marrow x Flamingo checker). You just have to be creative - and be willing to make a sacrifice: Either you keep the CB, or the higher-gen checker (of the limited release dragon).

Other perfect matches: In many cases, the person owning the perfect mate can either breed you a sibling for your own scroll, or tell you who bred them theirs. Just try to trade for it. smile.gif

Unique names: Sure, the uniqueness of the name makes it difficult - but would it be so bad if you named one of your dragons Druidos or Druyd or something like that? Or found a different naming scheme for your dragons? Personally, I think the last argument is the one that has the least weight in this discussion.

I think ADP has a great idea, and Socky in particular has refined it so it is eminently workable. Nine has good answers for most the objections people have brought up.

Bottom line is, it would be optional. You don't have to participate. It would take agreement between both parties, and both would get an egg if it was successful, unless one or the other opted out at the beginning of the agreement. If both wanted an egg, the chances of success would be less.

I like it, and don't see much more of a downside than already exists from disgruntled people. I am all the way on the "for" side of this.

I had the same thought, searched for "cooperative breeding" and came up with this thread. I love it when things work out right! biggrin.gif

I have to say that I've never supported this suggestion. x3

However, if it did happen, here is what I'd want to see:

-Two eggs, both of the same kind would be created, one for each user

-Since two eggs are being created, the chance of a successful breeding is halved

-An option under account settings to receive requests or not, default being off

-Ability to disallow some dragons to not be chosen or ability to select which dragons could be chosen

It's late and I'm exhausted, but I think that was it. o3o

I too don't support this, but if it happened, then I agree with Sock's stipulations. smile.gif

The reason I'm just not into this idea is that it would take away a lot of the challenging aspects of the game which are what I enjoy about it. Take the OP's nice high gen checker, for example. It would be too easy, in my opinion, to just find someone else with a similar lineage and breed them together that way. The challenge (and fun) of the game would be to create that lineage yourself to make a mate. That's the way I see it, at least.

Same with interesting codes. If you could just find someone else with a matching one and breed it, I think it'd take away a lot of the fun. But if you have to keep hunting and/or trade for a matching code for one of your codes, then it's 1) more of a challenge that keeps you occupied and 2) a whole lot more satisfying once you find it.

I like the game as it is and this is something that I really, really wouldn't want to see implemented. Sorry. sad.gif

I originally thought this was how it was when I was still new. I wouldn't see it as bad, but It wouldn't apply much to me. Would be nice to breed with my friend's dragons but *shrug*

I think I support this. It would open up lots of new options for breeding, especially of dragons with scroll limits. Most of the complaints could be solved by turning off for your scroll. And if it's a bit easier to breed cool lineages, this means more and maybe even more elaborate lineages (and can you just imagine purebred tinsels?) DC would be a prettier place. As for now the arguments for it are making a lot more sense than the arguments against it, but I may be missing something, so I think I may lurk a bit.

I support this as lineages would be easier to continue, but who would get the egg ?