angelicdragonpuppy

ANSWERED:Breeding between scrolls

http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showforum=11

Apparently, yes. Also, why are we discussing trading harassment which takes place on the forums and not the main site, when we are supposed to be suggesting improvements for the main site, not the forums? Unless you are suggesting that on the main site, people can psychically pressure others to enable breeding, because you might have forgotten this fact, but WE DO NOT ACTUALLY HAVE A BUILT IN METHOD OF COMMUNICATING WITH OTHERS ON THE MAIN SITE. And if this is opt-in... Then only people who want to participate will participate in it.

And as for 'begging' for people to 'enable' breeding...

I have a holly.

So you want me to 'enable' breeding on my holly. Well good luck, you might not get an egg at all. Or you might get something like a caveblocker out of it.

What you actually wanted to say was: please give me a Holly egg, not: please give me a random caveblocker.

Beggers would beg for eggs, not people to 'enable breeding' and then be royally disappointed when they don't get the egg that they want.

Edited by DarkEternity

I'd LOVE to have this, I usually spend time trading with my friend, he gives me rare eggs and I give rare eggs in return, he breeds dragons I don't have for me and vice versa but it'd be more fun if we could breed dragons with one another.

I never been to the trading thread before but I can imagine people got pm's with someone begging to breed a certain dragons for them, so saying " this feature would only cause more begging" it already happens so what'd be the difference? I'd like to have more on site communication, like it's been brought up before not every DC player is on the forum and who knows there are people who dislike the use of a forum (myself for example, I'm just not to keen on forum based things)

If the feature gets implemented I'd suggest adding a block list feature of some sort, so that users whom are harassing you about breedings you can just enter their scroll name/forum name and they won't be able to send requests anymore

so long as you get to approve the mate first, I have no issue. No ickies ever coming from my dragons ever again, ta.

I don't really understand peoples complaints, especially now that trading harassment is a specific offence... It's not like you're ever being forced into anything, so don't do it if you don't like it.

I'd consider begging somebody to allow you to breed with one of their dragons and to give you the egg, if that person already has the option off, to be begging them to "turn it on", since they kinda have it disabled.

So would I. And sure it is harassment. But it still happens. Yes you can report it.But why give people something else to harass you about ? To those who have yet to have their EMAIL BOXES full of "why didn't you breed MY EGGS yet?" - lucky you.

And like others - I

like the solitary nature of DC

What you actually wanted to say was: please give me a Holly egg, not: please give me a random caveblocker.

OR they wanted yours to breed with THEIR Holly...

So would I. And sure it is harassment. But it still happens. Yes you can report it.But why give people something else to harass you about ? To those who have yet to have their EMAIL BOXES full of "why didn't you breed MY EGGS yet?" - lucky you.

There are already a dozen things people could harass one on the forums about. Breeding your own eggs, trading dragons, exchanging names, asking you to catch them things, demanding the return of auto abandoned things. I really doubt one more little thing would create a huge chain of spamming people--and, even if it did, such an offense can easily be reported to the mods.

Plus, it's already pretty darn easy to keep your privacy on DC. Having different forum and scroll names. Not posting your scroll link in the open. Keeping your scroll hidden. Or, heck, if you want to be really drastic, just don't have a forum account to begin with.

I'm just frustrated because it feels like the only argument people have left against this is that it would "ruin the privacy of DC," when 1) DC is already a semi-social site (the trading function can't be used without some form of communication between members, after all) and 2) I've seen no persuasive evidence that it would increase harassment. Seriously, I have a 2nd gen Shimmer, a 3rd gen Holly, over 15 CB Metals, Spriter's Alt lineages, 3rd gen Tinsels, and I've listed I'm open to most breeding requests in my signature. You know how many "please breed me things" requests I get per month? Like one or two, tops. I even opened up high to mid gen Metal requests, something I'd never done before, because I was so bored with the lack of interest. If you're getting swarmed in an unbearable amount of breeding requests, you really must be putting yourself out there, as I see no other way it could be happening on such a massive scale as to be distressing.

Plus... I imagine interscroll breedings would occur less than asking for normal breedings. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer to make my lineages myself when I can, as I hate having to worry about lost names and killed ancestors. The only times I'd do it are the scarce few when I have a lineage I absolutely can't continue on my own (Holiday checker lineages), lineages that would be absolute torture to continue on my own (I have a 5th gen checker with no mate but don't own the parents, and someone else has the same issue--otherwise we'd just breed and swap new eggs to give mates to each other instead of breeding directly), and so on. I imagine others would be somewhat similar.

OR they wanted yours to breed with THEIR Holly...

This was probably just a random thing and not worth picking over, but... huh? Considering Hollies can only breed once per year, 1) the number of such requests would be highly restricted, 2) would probably be even more scarce when you consider that such breedings would likely decrease the number of Hollies produced overall, and 3) are even MORE scarce when you consider that most Hollies have crazy looking lineages. Heck, even if you have a nice checker Holly, if you breed Holly x Holly the checker isn't being continued properly. The only situation in which a Holly x Holly breeding would be needed to continue a lineage "properly" (in terms of what'd likely be most popular in the trading threads) would be two CBs, and how many people would that even apply to, considering the only CB female Hollies in existence come from HM prizes?

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I'm just frustrated because it feels like the only argument people have left against this is that it would "ruin the privacy of DC," when 1) DC is already a semi-social site (the trading function can't be used without some form of communication between members, after all) and 2) I've seen no persuasive evidence that it would increase harassment. Seriously, I have a 2nd gen Shimmer, a 3rd gen Holly, over 15 CB Metals, Spriter's Alt lineages, 3rd gen Tinsels, and I've listed I'm open to most breeding requests in my signature. You know how many "please breed me things" requests I get per month? Like one or two, tops. I even opened up high to mid gen Metal requests, something I'd never done before, because I was so bored with the lack of interest. If you're getting swarmed in an unbearable amount of breeding requests, you really must be putting yourself out there, as I see no other way it could be happening on such a massive scale as to be distressing.

Plus... I imagine interscroll breedings would occur less than asking for normal breedings. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer to make my lineages myself when I can, as I hate having to worry about lost names and killed ancestors. The only times I'd do it are the scarce few when I have a lineage I absolutely can't continue on my own (Holiday checker lineages), lineages that would be absolute torture to continue on my own (I have a 5th gen checker with no mate but don't own the parents, and someone else has the same issue--otherwise we'd just breed and swap new eggs to give mates to each other instead of breeding directly), and so on. I imagine others would be somewhat similar.

This was probably just a random thing and not worth picking over, but... huh? Considering Hollies can only breed once per year, 1) the number of such requests would be highly restricted, 2) would probably be even more scarce when you consider that such breedings would likely decrease the number of Hollies produced overall, and 3) are even MORE scarce when you consider that most Hollies have crazy looking lineages. Heck, even if you have a nice checker Holly, if you breed Holly x Holly the checker isn't being continued properly. The only situation in which a Holly x Holly breeding would be needed to continue a lineage "properly" (in terms of what'd likely be most popular in the trading threads) would be two CBs, and how many people would that even apply to, considering the only CB female Hollies in existence come from HM prizes?

Well - whoever posted that did say "they wanted a holly egg." That's why I mentioned it.

But playing your own scroll is one of the nice things abut this game. And as you say - lineages can be ruined by death caused by others.

We have to agree to differ, I guess. I would just hate this.

I would absolutely love this! It's realistic in the respect that this is how real life animal breeders operate. One horse owner does not give a newborn filly to the stallion's owner to wait until it grows up, breed it to the stallion, and then give the new foal back to the filly's original owner. They would send a mare over to the stallion and have her covered.

Only way I would support something like this is if there was an opt in/out button in our account settings. I, for one, would not use this feature, as I do not want people bugging me to breed with them.

I love this idea! And it could have some really practical use cases, example: I'm currently looking for a Gold from CB Gold (f) and CB Blusang (m) but I can't find anyone with a CB Blusang (m) and a CB Gold (f), so I can offer my CB Blusang (m) to breed with their CB Gold and get me the egg.

100% Support this idea!

I think this would add an amazing new field of joy to the game! Absolutely YES!

Although I realize there are definitely advantages to breeding between scrolls and it's definitely something I've thought about, ultimately I think I'm against it. Playing your own scroll feels like a big part of the game, and being able to breed with other people's dragons just doesn't seem like something that would fit with the style of DC. It would be super-duper-helpful with all those holiday lineages that one can't continue because of limits, but I think that's just the way it is. I don't think privacy or harassment would become a vastly bigger problem if this was implemented. I just don't feel like it would fit DC. :/

I like this idea and support it. I just suggested something similar and was directed to this thread and have suggested anyone who looks at what I wrote come here. I think this is the logical progression in a game that encourages good pedigrees.

Edited by Alaralyn

I like this idea and support it. I just suggested something similar and was directed to this thread and have suggested anyone who looks at what I wrote come here. I think this is the logical progression in a game that encourages good pedigrees.

Only the game itself DOESN'T encourage that. The game itself is totally neutral on that.

That is a bit of encouragement coming from ONE group of players--the lineage builders. Not everybody builds lineages, it is not a "goal" of the game. It is neither encouraged nor discouraged by the game to do so. It is neither encouraged nor discouraged by the game to trade for "desirable" things. The game itself is neutral on these aspects--it merely provides you the tools to do so if you wish, while still being a game about collecting whatever you want in whatever manner you prefer without actively encouraging or discouraging the collection of any given thing.

Besides--how do you define a "good" pedigree? It's totally subjective on a player-by-player basis. How do you know that the person who wants to breed with your dragons will have the same idea on what is "good"?

If there is any encouraging or discouraging of collecting certain things, it is ENTIRELY driven by certain groups of players--neither the game itself NOR the entire user base.

Just going to re-voice my dislike for the idea, and my insistence that if it WERE added, it be 100% op-IN (not out). I just don't like the idea.

If I want a social breeding game, I'll go play another game.

Edited by KageSora

(snip)

while still being a game about collecting whatever you want in whatever manner you prefer

(snip)

if it WERE added, it be 100% op-IN (not out)

Exactly. Maybe some of us would like to play the game by breeding between scrolls. That's increasing the ability and ways of going about collecting what we want to collect.

Opt-in is my preference, too, though.

Only the game itself DOESN'T encourage that. The game itself is totally neutral on that.

That is a bit of encouragement coming from ONE group of players--the lineage builders. Not everybody builds lineages, it is not a "goal" of the game. It is neither encouraged nor discouraged by the game to do so. It is neither encouraged nor discouraged by the game to trade for "desirable" things. The game itself is neutral on these aspects--it merely provides you the tools to do so if you wish, while still being a game about collecting whatever you want in whatever manner you prefer without actively encouraging or discouraging the collection of any given thing.

Besides--how do you define a "good" pedigree? It's totally subjective on a player-by-player basis. How do you know that the person who wants to breed with your dragons will have the same idea on what is "good"?

If there is any encouraging or discouraging of collecting certain things, it is ENTIRELY driven by certain groups of players--neither the game itself NOR the entire user base.

Just going to re-voice my dislike for the idea, and my insistence that if it WERE added, it be 100% op-IN (not out). I just don't like the idea.

If I want a social breeding game, I'll go play another game.

I disagree. I think by giving us the ability to track lineages the assumption is made the lineages might just matter. To everyone maybe no, but to many people yes.

I believe the original poster and other contributors have all agreed with the it being something you have to opt into.

I disagree. I think by giving us the ability to track lineages the assumption is made the lineages might just matter. To everyone maybe no, but to many people yes.

I believe the original poster and other contributors have all agreed with the it being something you have to opt into.

I have to disagree. We have plenty of actions (breed, kill, freeze) that are *there* on the site, but are not deliberately *endorsed* on the site. DragonCave is not telling you "go breed your dragons".

Just because we have the *ability* to see lineages doesn't mean that DragonCave is saying "lineages are important" and it *certainly* doesn't encourage "good pedigree" since the site doesn't even DEFINE what that would mean.

No, all DragonCave is saying is "this is your dragon's ancestry". It's the USERS who put the emphasis on lineages mattering and certain lineages being preferred.

Is there any point in arguing about whether or not lineages are important? What matters is whether or not this would be a positive or a negative for DC. It would likely prove helpful for those who do value lineages... the question is, would it have a negative impact in other places? That discussion's been going on for a while now (I still don't think there's been any conclusive evidence that it'd hurt anyone), so at this point it's really up to TJ, since the player base doesn't seem to have a firm opinion either way on this one.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Is there any point in arguing about whether or not lineages are important? What matters is whether or not this would be a positive or a negative for DC. It would likely prove helpful for those who do value lineages... the question is, would it have a negative impact in other places? That discussion's been going on for a while now (I still don't think there's been any conclusive evidence that it'd hurt anyone), so at this point it's really up to TJ, since the player base doesn't seem to have a firm opinion either way on this one.

Fair enough. :-)

It seems to me that the only negative side-effect would be people bugging other people to do breedings with them. But people already ask people to breed for them, so I doubt it would significantly increase that kind of PM.

The other worry people seem to have is that it would make DC too social, but I question that. Adding one more optional interaction feature wouldn't suddenly force anyone to collaborate with other people, any more than the trading BSA or forums do. DC is as social or as independent a game as one cares to make it; this wouldn't change that.

I read the past two pages (12 is a bit much for my attention span!) and I've read comments on both.

My opinion is, I am in favor of this as an opt-in feature. Because like everything else in dragcave, it'd be optional. Heck, you don't even have to play dragcave at all if you don't want to, that's the good thing about free choice. But me, for instance, I have a few friends I talk with regularly on dragcave, in the forums and IRC and a few outside-DC friends. We've shown each other our dragons constantly, and lamented the fact that 'I have a perfect mate for THAT one!' and so on and so forth. So having the option would be great.

Also, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has a really nice stairstep shimmer and no mate for it. I missed the Wrapping Wings and therefore can't breed one of my shimmer lines aside from using a substitute, which doesn't look as nice.

Or say you have a 3rd gen gold shimmer that needs a CB silver mate, but you don't have one. (Doubtful, I know, but work with me here) You can negotiate with someone you know has one. Now, rare/rare breeding is iffy, so let's say you make an arrangement of breeding them together every 3 weeks to see if there's a baby. 3 weeks, because a 2nd gen silver is worth enough to trade for nice things. And keep doing this until you breed 2 4th gen shimmers. One goes to the owner of the male, one the owner of the female keeps.

Obviously there'd be some abuse of the system, but IOUs are already in place even though those aren't endorsed by DC, and those work on trust as well.

I think having more things to do with dragcave would only benefit those that DO want a little something more. And if people don't want to do it, don't check the box, just like they don't have to show their scroll or show their adult dragons, or don't have to post a link to their scroll in their signatures or profiles. If it's an opt-in, they don't even have to do anything since the default would be 'off'.

As for begging, well.... like mentioned, it already happens. I highly doubt there'd be any MORE begging going on from this. Actually, it'd be less, because rather than begging people to breed them a 2nd gen PB silver, they'd have to have a CB silver of their own already to offer. Which, if they're begging for a 2nd gen, well... unlikely.

I chose to make DC a social game for myself by becoming a breeder on Breeding, Gifting. Granted I haven't bred anything in a while but that's beside the point.

At any rate, tl;dr, I like the idea, I agree with what everyone else said in favor of it. I think.

I don't remember if this has ever been brought up, but would it be too hard/etc to do an opt-in by-dragon? Like, instead of opting in and letting the whole userbase know that ALL my dragons are other-scroll breedable, what if I *didn't* want certain dragons to be, but didn't mind if others were?

I'm personally thinking about Shimmers, Tinsels, Metals, and Holidays. I would *not* mind between-scroll breeding with my dragons of those breeds. But for instance, my Hellfires and Stripes are off-limits.

And, if that is possible to do, it might help a bit with the "please breed!" because you *could* say yes for certain dragons on your scroll, but not the ones you don't want to put out there.

I don't remember if this has ever been brought up, but would it be too hard/etc to do an opt-in by-dragon? Like, instead of opting in and letting the whole userbase know that ALL my dragons are other-scroll breedable, what if I *didn't* want certain dragons to be, but didn't mind if others were?

I believe it was, yes. I remember some people bringing that up. But it was probably a long time ago. XD

Perhaps there could be a 'select all / deselect all' option, after which you could tick (or untick) the ones you didn't want to show up. The default would be all off still.